Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bread Set Jettison posted:

this is a CHILDRENS VIDEO GAME, get your mind out of the gutter

i am sure the target market teens playing this game have more sex and are better at it than u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Splash Wall seems primarily for kills/distractions. I've dealt with too many jackasses who abuse them on Mall/Port to shoot at you/the zone without retaliation. There's not an easy way to deal with them unless you have a way around/grenades.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This

this is why you dont need so many people on the tower
http://gfycat.com/NextHealthyDiplodocus

I had a match where the tower was 10 feet from our goal so I had to sacrifice myself killing the last guy on it, even though I knew he had placed a mine. So right after I kill him and trigger the mine, my entire team piled onto the tower so we all got blown up. There was literally no reason for anyone other than me to be on it. 4 squids, all blown up by one mine :suicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

dogsicle posted:

Splash Wall seems primarily for kills/distractions. I've dealt with too many jackasses who abuse them on Mall/Port to shoot at you/the zone without retaliation. There's not an easy way to deal with them unless you have a way around/grenades.

Splash wall is ridiculously good, it should either take more ink or last a shorter amount of time. Even if you flank, the user can just hop through it and stay protected. Once I switched to the .52 gal during splatfest and got used to its timing/placement I was nigh untouchable.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I need to pay more attention in ranked, I assumed I was playing tower in Bluefin for about 30s before I went Ohhhh. Not that it effected much I was still on the other side killing/distracting.

I had a beautiful match later where after my team claimed the zone & killed their team everyone immediately went up to their side of the platform and kept the fight there well away from the zone. Won that one easily, brought a tear to my eye.

Edit: Also punked the hell out of some charger who was actually doing a good job but there's so many ways to get a splattershoot in range on that map :black101:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Splash wall is ridiculously good, it should either take more ink or last a shorter amount of time. Even if you flank, the user can just hop through it and stay protected. Once I switched to the .52 gal during splatfest and got used to its timing/placement I was nigh untouchable.

I think Judd said shooting it reduces duration rather than it having a separate durability value, but It'd prefer a nerf to durability over anything else.
Had a Mall match where our side route was completely controlled by a single 52 gal, which only makes me want to do the same soon.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shooting the ink wall dramatically kills its timer, throwing explosives at it just about kills it immediately. I just shot the dumb things from an angle the other person can't really hit me from.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, but I'd definitely say it's got way too much durability (you can tell how much is left by the tank in the center). Rollers or an explosive basically mitigate it, but it's enough that if they have an angle on you through it, you're dead, and giving that kind of power to a .96 gal is kind of eyebrow raising to me.

In other news, apparently people have figured out madhax for the game. I'm sure people who use them online will be promptly banned, though, they're not exactly subtle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The .96 gal is already absurdly good and its extra killing power was balanced around giving it subs that aren't directly useful in terms of combat damage (barring extreme idiocy on the enemy with the sprinkler) teams part. I'm not sure if the new one will be broken enough to warrant any balance changes but I'm definitely not looking forward to playing against.

I don't think they've actually made any balance changes to guns themselves, much to the rapid blaster's lament.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rambo: first ink

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Yep, but I'd definitely say it's got way too much durability (you can tell how much is left by the tank in the center). Rollers or an explosive basically mitigate it, but it's enough that if they have an angle on you through it, you're dead, and giving that kind of power to a .96 gal is kind of eyebrow raising to me.

In other news, apparently people have figured out madhax for the game. I'm sure people who use them online will be promptly banned, though, they're not exactly subtle.

At the moment i dont think homebrew and hacks work on the latest update, so they currently cant go online anyway (yet).
also This one is a lot more subtle

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
At first I thought a Kraken on a Shooter-type weapon would be horrifying, but then I remembered that the .96 Gal sucks at filling the Special Gauge. The .96 Gal itself combined with the Splash Wall sounds like a much bigger threat than it has any right to be.

Think about it: you have a very long-range, 2HKO rapid-fire gun and a very durable wall that you can shoot through, turning you into a mobile minigun bunker. I imagine the intended playstyle is to just keep pushing forward, dropping a Splash Wall when you need to catch your breath or have reached a good choke/sniping point, then when the enemy team gets fed up and tries pushing back, you push harder with the Kraken you build up as you go along and just tear them apart. I can see this being pretty powerful in a set with lots of Ink Saver (Sub) and Ink Recovery Up perks.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Just got this, I'm incredibly late to the party and bad at it but I'm having fun so :toot:

I still have much to learn about the art of the Roller Ninja. I've gotten close to enemy territory many a time only for a kid to pop out and smash my skull in with a paint roller. It's super-satisfying when I can do it to someone else though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That guys just editing values according to him so it can't even go online

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think the Sploosh-o-matic combined with Ninja Squid and some swim speed ups is now my chosen set up for ranked. Still sticking with Aerospray for Turf War though.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Can teammates "hear" my taunts postmortem? When I'm splatted, I spam one of my taunts as much as possible to let my team know that I've bitten it, which would be really helpful in a firefight, or if I'm trying to be sneaky with a buddy and someone gets me from behind. I don't know if they can even hear me, much less understand what I'm trying to say.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Maple Leaf posted:

Can teammates "hear" my taunts postmortem? When I'm splatted, I spam one of my taunts as much as possible to let my team know that I've bitten it, which would be really helpful in a firefight, or if I'm trying to be sneaky with a buddy and someone gets me from behind. I don't know if they can even hear me, much less understand what I'm trying to say.

Your teammates cannot hear anything. They are deaf, dumb, and blind. They have no minimap because they have no gamepad. They are playing on an N-Gage, somehow. At least one of them will truly, verily believe himself to be a part of team Bad Guys and tank you just for the fun of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maple Leaf posted:

Serious answer yeah you can ping when you're dead. During Splatfest two enemies killed one of my guys and I managed to kill both of them. Teammates ghost started spamming BOOYAH for me.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Man I love it when that happens. Whenever I avenge a teammate sometimes I get excited and booyah first, especially if it's like two down in one shot.

Also, it's really nice to start a game, be it Tower Control, Splat Zones, or Turf Wars, with a Booyah and have it be responded to by a wave of Booyahs.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Your teammates cannot hear anything. They are deaf, dumb, and blind. They have no minimap because they have no gamepad. They are playing on an N-Gage, somehow. At least one of them will truly, verily believe himself to be a part of team Bad Guys and tank you just for the fun of it.

laughing my butt off at this, so true, so true.

what someone said about bad teams not booyah'ing back at the beginning of a match seems to be true

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Akarshi posted:

Man I love it when that happens. Whenever I avenge a teammate sometimes I get excited and booyah first, especially if it's like two down in one shot.

Also, it's really nice to start a game, be it Tower Control, Splat Zones, or Turf Wars, with a Booyah and have it be responded to by a wave of Booyahs.

"Nice" is nowhere near as fun :sigh:.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
just pretend its says NICE! in a congratulatory and antagonistic tone

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

'Nice' is a good chat phrase since you can use it sarcastically or sincerely depending on the situation

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I would rather have "Nice!". Before splatoon came around, the last time I remember "booyah" being in usage was around 1999. there was this site called booyah or booyakasha or something that hosted Dreamcast VMU development tools &c. "Pretty complex insult, for a drunk."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That guys just editing values according to him so it can't even go online

I hope you're right because the game seems to be peer to peer, and pretty permissive at that. Which is why double-splats with several seconds apart can happen when someone is lagging, because it trust both clients when they say they splatted the other person.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Well Splatoon is the revenge of the 90s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

I hope you're right because the game seems to be peer to peer, and pretty permissive at that. Which is why double-splats with several seconds apart can happen when someone is lagging, because it trust both clients when they say they splatted the other person.

Nintendo's pretty good about keeping things locked down, so I doubt any cheats like that would actually last long before getting nuked out with a hotfix.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Nice" is nowhere near as fun :sigh:.

I disagree. Nooice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnYi3z56RE

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So what are people's impressions on the Sploosh gun, and how does it differ from stuff like NZap and S-o-M?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Splash-o-M is more accurate and longer-distance, as is the NZap. Sploosh is a very, very defensive weapon. It's incredibly good at covering area thanks to its high fire rate and spread, but has range shorter than anything else except maybe the aerospray. The Killer Wail is good for providing support to the front lines, but in a firefight your loadout likely won't compete with a weapon even as short-ranged as the Luna Blaster.

It does pack a punch; it's a 3-hit kill, but you won't be getting those 3 hits unless you're right next to the other guy. That means that all of your kills will be from around corners or from behind, making it great for defending in splat zone or holding your side of the map down in turf war, but subpar for Tower Control unless you manage to be very sneaky and/or the enemy has no map awareness. You should be covering the home base, supporting the back lines by covering up enemy ink, and setting down Beakons as both decoys and jump points to help keep pressure on the enemy. If you want to gear it to be more supportive of the front, maybe load up on special building buffs to get more use out of the Wail; you can probably sacrifice stealth squid/ink resist to make room for that sort of buff since you shouldn't be directly approaching enemies anyway.

Overall, I think it's a decent weapon, but it's efficacy will vary greatly depending on the composition of the rest of your team. If you're on a team with 4 of them, you'll probably lose.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I play it very offensively with Ninja Squid. It kinda reminds me of an Aerospray that trades covering ability for power. This makes it pretty good against other Aerosprays since it can kill them faster while being just out of range for most rollers.

An ink efficiency buff would probably help because gently caress, the beacons are expensive. Ninja Squid seems to be pretty essential though if you want to use it on the front lines.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had a few tries with it and it might be my favourite shooter so far. But I like getting up in people's faces and splatting them before they know what's going on if I can.

Also yeah it's loving awful at Tower Control. Although I think my connection might just be a bit too laggy to play Tower Control with a shooter. Constantly I was firing at someone right in front of me with my cursor right on then for like 3 full seconds and then they'd just splat me. Or the one time I spent 2 full seconds shooting at a small puddle on the floor of the tower that wouldn't go away only for a roller to jump out and splat me. Turf War doesn't give me any issues like that unless it gets really hectic/concentrated in one area.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
The Sploosh-O-Matic strikes me as something akin to the TF2 Scout's Scattergun. If you're got some speed buffs and are good at sneaking up on the enemy, it'll wreck face, but if not then you might struggle with it. I would absolutely run Ninja Squid with it since getting up close and personal is a big requirement for this gun.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I agree that it will win over most aerosprays, but any roller that sees you before you get close will probably be able to fend you off with their swipes. If they're using anything with range, they have to be dumb enough to let you get close.

If you did want to play it offensively, ninja squid is definitely a must. People have no chance if you manage to sneak up, there's not even time to react with a panic button special.

In other news, I adore the .96 Gal Deco, but you'd have to be insane to play it without an ink efficiency buff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one thing with the Sploosh is that I'm pretty crappy with Killer Wail. Any good advice for the best times to use it?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bown posted:

The one thing with the Sploosh is that I'm pretty crappy with Killer Wail. Any good advice for the best times to use it?

People will pretty much avoid it every time so I've found the best way to use it is to get enemies out of chokepoints before moving in. Teammates also seem to understand a Killer Wail pointed at a location as gently caress IT, CHARGE so it works like that too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bown posted:

Aim it at their spawn point and watch it go right through the protective barrier :gibs:.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

People will pretty much avoid it every time so I've found the best way to use it is to get enemies out of chokepoints before moving in. Teammates also seem to understand a Killer Wail pointed at a location as gently caress IT, CHARGE so it works like that too.

It's also super fun in Tower Control, set it along the tower path to give your teammates a leisurely cruise or ticket the gently caress out of enemy joyriders.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Bown posted:

A) When you need to deny an area for a few seconds. People see it and flip out a bit. After you fire it you have time to follow the path it's shooting, which is very hard to see through, and maybe get a cheap kill or surge into an area that was previously well-covered. Very good if you can herd someone into a corner with it.
B) When the other team wipes and you want to keep your advantage a little longer. Aim it right in front of their spawn if you can, if they step out, they're toast.
C) To pick off/move a campy sniper.

It definitely shines the most during Tower Control; just point in the direction of the tower and you'll usually get at least one kill out of it. Makes the bottlenecks in Underpass into deathtraps. Decent for Splat Zones, meh for Turf War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The best time to use the killerwail is when you spot the little indicator that someone is jumping in. WELCOME TO THE ROCK SHOW

• Locked thread