Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aquasnake posted:

Are you talking about the skills to completely invalidate stun sticks. And blow up drones that shoot at you? Two incredibly nice quality of life skills?

After watching Arrow, I feel a Green Arrow game would be better handled by Naughty Dog's style of melee combat, and I'm pretty sure they have more experience with ranged combat as well that would be vital for Green Arrow too. Now that I think about it, the parkour works as well.

Them or Sucker Punch. Infamous engine pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I'll spare you the screed I'm capable of, but man this game's story was a massive turn off for me. There were some elements that I greatly enjoyed as seeds of really good ideas, but beyond that I felt like they were trying super hard to push the limits of how much darker and edgier they could manage to be. And on top of that it draws heavily from the two types of Batman stories I hate the most and have still yet to see done well.

Batman's story is about a man whose parents were taken from him as a boy and who, in response, took up a mission to make sure it never happened to anyone else, in the process building around himself the family that he never got to have.

Batman is hope in the face of its own cynicism.

Maybe one day a game or film will manage to pull that off.

Gameplay-wise it's not terrible, but it won't keep me coming back like Arkham City.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jscolon2.0 posted:

Them or Sucker Punch. Infamous engine pretty much perfect.

And they've already proven they can make some of the best superhero games ever.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CJacobs posted:

Is there a way to turn off this game's chromatic aberration? It makes everything look blurry including batman, the focus point of the camera (where there should be no chromatic aberration in the first place if we're pretending the game's camera works like a real-life one) and though it's I guess cinematic that way, it looks like crap.

edit: Looked it up myself and no, there is not. Unfortunate.

Darn.
You'll have to wait for the next PC patch to even try to attempt turning off some of the post stuff. Motion blur is doable though, but yeah.

Camera industry spends millions upon millions of dollars to get rid of chromatic aberration; video game devs spend your precious CPU/GPU cycles loving up your screen.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sober posted:

Camera industry spends millions upon millions of dollars to get rid of chromatic aberration; video game devs spend your precious CPU/GPU cycles loving up your screen.

This. It's called an aberration because it's not bloody typical you stupid fucks, stop shoehorning it into games, and while we're at it, stop putting loving lensflare effects on the camera when it's supposed to be a human eyeball that isn't behind a camera lens or other surface.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I finally finished everything, Riddler and all, and after the credits I got dumped back at 99% and right before the final Azrael confrontation, which was the last sidemission I did. Does it always dump you back before the last mission you complete, or always back before Azrael because they want you to choose to let him be Batman 2? I had him try to kill Batman so he'd get thrown in with the super-villains, because gently caress Azrael. It's kind of annoying not to have the save show 100%, is that what is always does?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My i7, 16GB RAM, 980 Ti system says "well, sort of."

Just keep waiting. All the first patch did was fix a few showstopper crashes and toggle some missing graphic effects back on. There were no performance fixes or patches for the memory leaks.
My system's worse than yours and other than some studders when getting in the Batmobile and slow texture loads I didn't have any major issues. It really seems to be luck of the draw.

But I'd advise against editing the INI to uncap the framerate, it broke at least one Riddler trophy for me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm getting some serious texture pop on the ps4. Even character models occasionally use the lower poly count - firefly in particular always took a few seconds to "pop" in.

I'm on a tank fight near the church with the toxin. Holy poo poo, the difficulty spike. And unclear level design. I'm told to stay near the church so ivy can help, but if I fight in the courtyard I get my poo poo pushed in by the 87 missile tanks.

I assume drone hack is the secret here?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, drone hack takes an enormous amount of pressure of you. If nothing else it's two less drones shooting at you.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh Jesus. I now understand all the hatred for the cloudburst fight. Whoever decided to drag the camera back when I need to flee (and therefore make it super difficult to take turns and find alleys) should be shot.

At least give me the option to bring back the normal camera.

Sorry to echo so many others, but yeah - this is legitimately "I don't want to replay the game because this section is so aggressively unfun" bad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oh Jesus. I now understand all the hatred for the cloudburst fight. Whoever decided to drag the camera back when I need to flee (and therefore make it super difficult to take turns and find alleys) should be shot.

At least give me the option to bring back the normal camera.

Sorry to echo so many others, but yeah - this is legitimately "I don't want to replay the game because this section is so aggressively unfun" bad.

Batmobile chat is getting a bit redundant by now, but I still find it bizarre that a studio that seems to have a really clear idea of what's fun in a game put this unwieldy, annoying and limited thing stage centre. In an interview they said this:

quote:

Was the decision to go for a larger city largely driven by new, better technology?

"It was more by the Batmobile. We're not really a technology studio, we're a gameplay studio. The first decisions we made were all about, 'what is the big new feature for the next game?' And then all the technology decisions really flowed from that. Very early on, we were like - the Batmobile it is. That is the piece that we've never done, it's piece we know fans want us to do, and it's the piece we want to do, so let's commit to that. What are the tech decisions we need to make in order to make that happen? A massive open world – you kinda need that, because the Batmobile moves so quickly, which means it's got to be next-gen.

'Batmobile!' That was our focus."

Nice philosophy. Pity the Batmobile's a load of shite eh?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The thing is, up to this point I've really enjoyed the batmobile.

But the tank sections go from "easy distraction" to "Oh christ what is happening how hard is this meant to be?" in a severe difficulty spike.

Its also abundantly clear that the scarecrow fear toxin stuff really taxed the ps4 - every time I died the villain game over screen started with a low poly model.

Weirdly enough, the flower explosions (for want of a big spoiler) are absolutely stunning. Stranger and stranger.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

But the tank sections go from "easy distraction" to "Oh christ what is happening how hard is this meant to be?" in a severe difficulty spike.

Its also abundantly clear that the scarecrow fear toxin stuff really taxed the ps4 - every time I died the villain game over screen started with a low poly model.

Weirdly enough, the flower explosions (for want of a big spoiler) are absolutely stunning. Stranger and stranger.

My strategy was just to do ovals around the movie studio. Wide enough turns where the camera can't aggressively gently caress you, and enough obstructions to break LOS easily.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Narcissus1916 posted:

They overload the batmobile stuff at the start and that's fine, it's a bit too tutorial-ish but it is what it is and the second act of the game largely stays away from it, but man when they bring it back they do it in a big way. A big, annoying, cumbersome way.

Anytime you're being chased and the camera pulls back it just fucks with the handling. For a while I had some fun with the batmobile, but those sections really made me resent it (And when they have you repeat the cloudburst fight in the post-game, against a WORLD CLASS ASSASSIN then it made me resent Rocksteady too). But then it's pretty annoying how you're in 'escape mode' and the tanks can suddenly start seeing around corners and through buildings too.

At the moment I'm all finished with only the Riddler trophies to get. I'm pretty happy just trading it in and getting The Witcher 3 instead. I know it'll be a prime game at some point and I can go back to it then, but I have so little interest in collecting anything else right now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm fairly sure I'm approaching endgame, and this is somehow more Arkham City-ey than Arkham City. The stuff that's great is legitimately some of the most fun I've ever had with the series. The entire Batman and Robin hour in Panessa Studios was like a surreal love letter to superhero team-ups. WB Montreal should just copy that formula, mix up the partners and they'd easily have my money.

But when the game whiffs, boy does it ever miss. The cloudburst fight is incredibly unfun, but I can atleast kinda sorta see what they were going for, cocked up design aside. But the tank fight before it is just awful, and skews the difficulty in a way that really irritates. There's just so much poo poo thrown at you, helicopter bomb circles and normal cannon shots and lock on missiles that will have you frantically rotating the camera - there's no gentle upcurve in difficulty here. At all.

Compare that to the combat or predator sections, which feel immaculately designed and placed.

I don't have a problem with the handling of the batmobile per se, and its still a thrill to take out pillars with ease. But the illusory power of the batmobile goes straight to hell the second I ping pong off a wall and tip over/spin out/flip around like a dreidel.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YStfyOSn1bE

Batgirl looks kinda cool. Robin seems to be Tim Drake.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good to see Harley in her classic outfit.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hopefully it's long enough. Like 6 hours long would be nice.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kurtofan posted:

hahaha no way is that happening.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nice that they finally gave harley an outfit that doesn't look like she crawled out of a strip joint's dumpster

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kurtofan posted:

Not only is this poo poo not going to happen, they're probably not even gonna add an AR challenge featuring them.

varlet
Feb 10, 2010

I would use every crayon in my box

Mogomra posted:

Robin seems to be Tim Drake.

This is the most disappointing thing... we haven't gotten a team-up with Jason yet, and letting us see how he was with the rest of the batfam before he was killed could have added something. I mean, Tim is cool too, but where is my Jason team-up Rocksteady?

Hopefully it's a couple hours long of buddies beatin' up bad guys. With no driving.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Robin seems to be Tim Drake.
Well that's stupid. Not because I don't like Tim, it just doesn't seem to fit chronologically at all.

This looks great, otherwise.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

varlet posted:

This is the most disappointing thing... we haven't gotten a team-up with Jason yet, and letting us see how he was with the rest of the batfam before he was killed could have added something. I mean, Tim is cool too, but where is my Jason team-up Rocksteady?

Hopefully it's a couple hours long of buddies beatin' up bad guys. With no driving.

I doubt she has access to the batmobile. They're saving that poo poo for the Season of Infamy stuff, I'm sure

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The kids can't take the car, they'll scratch the painjob and the guy Bruce hires to do detailing charges like $20 an hour and always finds a way to drag the job out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
She rides a motorbike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFidlZdAQxg

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Funky Valentine posted:

The kids can't take the car, they'll scratch the painjob and the guy Bruce hires to do detailing charges like $20 an hour and always finds a way to drag the job out.

I'm pretty sure the guy who works on the Batmobile's shop is on Bleake island. :)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a batcycle would be way cooler and then at least you could be certain it won't be able to pack a huge turret or do winch puzzles

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's weird seeing Oracle with hair like that.

And with working legs, I guess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MinibarMatchman posted:

a batcycle would be way cooler and then at least you could be certain it won't be able to pack a huge turret or do winch puzzles

In The Dark Knight we see the batcycle premiere in the movies and literally all it does is fire huge guns and do a winch puzzle to flip a truck.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kurtofan posted:

I doubt it will be that long but hopefully it's more like cold cold heart than Harley Quinn's revenge. Cold cold heart was much longer than I expected it to be.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The timeline of this series is a mess. Batman went through three Robins in six years?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Crime fighting has a high turn over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I guess Dick was Robin for four years, Jason for one, and Tim for the rest?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The timeline of this series is a mess. Batman went through three Robins in six years?
What *is* the timeline for the Arkham games? I know someone said something like "you've been doing this for over a decade!" at one point in Knight but I've never heard any other chronological references.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Looks like in this timeline they seem to always be in their 18s or so when they become Robin.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In the timeline from the comics, batman has only been active for like 10-15 years.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Theres 0 hope that the Batgirl DLC will be available for PC players with the main game still in quarantine, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

What *is* the timeline for the Arkham games? I know someone said something like "you've been doing this for over a decade!" at one point in Knight but I've never heard any other chronological references.

Arkham Origins seems to be the end of Year 2, and Knight is ten years later. Hard to say when the sidekicks came in, though multiplayer suggests Robin was in Year 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Basically the same issue as the current comics run then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's just so much poo poo thrown at you, helicopter bomb circles and normal cannon shots and lock on missiles that will have you frantically rotating the camera - there's no gentle upcurve in difficulty here. At all.

Have you been defusing the bombs? They're effectively training for fighting with the batmobile, and they do gradiate.

• Locked thread