Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

You also do have some Liveship characters showing up at times however the only real issue is that you can see a lot of previous character types come back up, including the very obviously total rear end in a top hat husband who you just want to see die in the worst way. The character development for some of the more 'main' characters is good though, and the slow start isn't as bad as Liveship's was. I wish her most recent series was more cursed shores (and pirate isles) stuff. It just seems more interesting than Fitz and the Six Duchies at this point.

Everything is more interesting than Fitz at this point. The Assassin series had a perfect ending for Fitz (well, not for him obviously, but storywise).
Hobb should really start killing her darlings and not bring them back the whole time, I say while trying not to remember events in the Tawny Man series and Fools Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hand Row posted:

Anyone plow into Queen of Fire and have thoughts on it? I enjoyed the first one but the second book was generic and forgettable. Don't have high hopes for the third.

It was OK. It was the sort of book where I could post a whole bunch of cons, many of which sound like dealbreakers, but the overall experience was solid enough that they weren't a big deal. It was bleaker than the previous books, as the nightmare war against the Volarians wore down on our characters even when they were winning, and the series's problem with weak overarching villains really came to the forefront here (they basically self-destructed due to their immortality driving them nuts, which was kind of unsatisfying). The ending was much more sequel-hooky than I expected - it succeeded in capping off the trilogy as a standalone reasonably enough, but quite apart from the standard dealio of setting up even bigger, scarier supernatural forces out there, there were several major characters (especially Lyrna) whose arcs didn't feel resolved. In fact, I kind of wish the author hadn't brought in another potential supernatural menace - seeing the cast rebuild after the Volarian war and come to terms with peacetime would have been an interesting story in its own right.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Has anyone read the books Red Rising and Golden Som by pierce brown? My friend really likes them but I trust you all collectively more than her.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Has anyone read the books Red Rising and Golden Som by pierce brown? My friend really likes them but I trust you all collectively more than her.

First one is Roman Hunger Games, second is mildly more interesting.

It's alright, nothing spectacular. I enjoyed them, but they weren't off-the-wall-awesome.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Stross is doing an AMA on Reddit right now.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

thetechnoloser posted:

First one is Roman Hunger Games, second is mildly more interesting.

It's alright, nothing spectacular. I enjoyed them, but they weren't off-the-wall-awesome.

Yeah this sounds about right. The first one felt like a bait and switch. I got sold on a Martian rebellion and got a bunch of teens larping instead. The second one was a cool interplanetary war romp though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those books are YA, I can't imagine the first one being sold as anything BUT a bunch of teens larping in space. For fucks sake, they're divided socially into color codes like Karate belts, aren't they?

quote:

Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie. That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.

What about this DOESN'T scream Hunger GamesVampire AcademyHigh School In Space to you?

Unless you're teenaged yourself, you really ought not be reading anything where a summary contains "Character is <age>" or "Character is a <group label>" and expecting something gooddifferent.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Cardiac posted:

Does the third book in Lightbringer become somewhat better?
I have read the first 2 and they are readable, but not more than that. Decent flow in the story but it just feels rather shallow and the characters are kinda generic.
It is really a series made for selling on airports.

No, the third one doesn't get substantially better. If you don't feel compelled to continue... don't.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Levitate posted:

Endymion would be good if it didn't have the "guy raises a young girl who goes through a time warp and then he marries her" part which is weird

Hyperion Had a Martian military commander fall in love on the battlefield with an infant that went though a time warp so no that's not it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Just finished The Martian in 2 days. Holy poo poo that was a great book.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for all the Robin Hobb endorsements. I guess I will be picking up the Rain Wilds Chronicles eventually, then.

gohmak posted:

Just finished The Martian in 2 days. Holy poo poo that was a great book.

I enjoy the survivalist portions of The Martian, but the arbitrary hops back to Earth's point of view took away from the tension and isolation, imo. I know the author wasn't going for a super psychological angle, but it still left me pining for something a little more We Die Alone in tone and style.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm mad that Amazon will not even sell me a physical copy of Monday Begins on Saturday

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

Hobb is always good and always readable.
And I am still bummed about Nighteyes in the Tawny Man trilogy.
Pardon me if I'm mis-remembering however, isn't that almost literally the end scene from Old Yeller? And that Hobb is slightly less-readable than a lovely Feist novel?

Spoilers: Robin Hobb feels that Peter Molyneux has cornered the market on hard-hitting content for end-users, so The Dog is A Big Deal.

Hobb should start killing *all* of her *characters*, and then let every one of her readers move on with their life of, "not wanting to watch an author murder someone's puppy over, and over, and over..."

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

I'm mad that Amazon will not even sell me a physical copy of Monday Begins on Saturday

I thought that wasn't getting republished for another few more months.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DolphinCop posted:

Thanks for all the Robin Hobb endorsements. I guess I will be picking up the Rain Wilds Chronicles eventually, then.

Stay away from the Soldier Son stuff, though.

Coyo7e, you've gotten a bug up your butt; Robin Hobb's Assassin's sextet and Live Ship stuff is quite nice. :mad:

Bugbutter. :argh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Hobb is always good and always readable.

Soldier Son would like to have some words with you.

Robotnik
Dec 3, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Khizan posted:

I must be in a minority. I find all Hobb unreadable in the same way I can't stand any Thomas Covenant.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Khizan posted:

Still better than most other fantasy, although admittedly hardly not one of her better books.

Robotnik posted:

I must be in a minority. I find all Hobb unreadable in the same way I can't stand any Thomas Covenant.

Why am I not surprised.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fritz posted:

I thought that wasn't getting republished for another few more months.

You can buy it, both for real and on ebook, in europe. Just not if you'reAmerican.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

DolphinCop posted:

I enjoy the survivalist portions of The Martian, but the arbitrary hops back to Earth's point of view took away from the tension and isolation, imo. I know the author wasn't going for a super psychological angle, but it still left me pining for something a little more We Die Alone in tone and style.

I enjoyed the Earth parts too. The book was about hope not desolation.

On to Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. August can't get here soon enough for Three-Body Problem sequel Dark Forest.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 9, 2015

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm about a quarter of the way in on Naomi Novik's "Uprooted" and so far its pretty good. There are a few cliches to contend with but I trust her to go beyond them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I finally found a copy of Sheri Tepper's Sideshow,. The villains are an EVIL HIVEMIND of UNIVERSITY PROFESSORS who tyranically enforce CULTURAL DIVERSITY upon humanity. There is a pair of male/female siamese twins who are teleported from their abusive Catholic upbringing into the future so that they can defeat the professors using their knowledge of circuses. The aliens are known as "celery aliens." The heroes work to help install a fungus that will brainwash everyone into being nice to eachother, and this allows them to finally unite humanity in happiness and the universe is saved. Also, every single male character is wrong at all times because men are evil.

In the end of the book, the siamese twins are turned into otters. I think. I don't really know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah and the heroine is named FRINGE OWLDARK

FRINGE

OWLDARK

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I read Uprooted recently and enjoyed it a lot. It doesn't focus too heavily on the romance and I really liked the Wood as a horrific antagonist. I also liked that the story was resolved with something besides killing the end boss. The fighting was mostly pointless and awful and solved nothing, even the special magic sword couldn't kill the Wood. It took some actual reconciliation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE

OWLDARK
Self-published fanfiction? I mean, I'm not surprised people write this stuff, but actually publishing it?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 9, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Self-published fanfiction? I mean, I'm not surprised people write this stuff, but actually publishing it?

Matriarch of feminist science fiction, actually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Does anyone remember a novel where countries get put in some endless flat plane, and there's stuff about communist ants as well? The ants nuke eeryone in the end iirc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anyone remember a novel where countries get put in some endless flat plane, and there's stuff about communist ants as well? The ants nuke eeryone in the end iirc

Missile Gap by Charles Stross. It's a novella you can read for free at his publisher's site or something.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Enjoyed Red Rising and Golden Son, thanks for the recommendations. It felt like a mature blend of Hunger Games, Ender's Game, Gattaca and Spartacus. Waiting for the last book to be released now.

Any other fairly recent, non-lovely, mature books with a similar concept/vibe?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Sheri Tepper has written lots of books and won several awards. She is crazy, and you should read some of her books. The Companions, which ends with God destroying the human race by giving them really good sex toys, is especially bizarre.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sheri Tepper has written lots of books and won several awards. She is crazy, and you should read some of her books. The Companions, which ends with God destroying the human race by giving them really good sex toys, is especially bizarre.

Minus God, that's precisely what caused human extinction in a couple of Charles Stross novels! (The main character of the first one is one of the sex toys, whose life is without purpose now that her creators are extinct.)

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Kesper North posted:

Minus God, that's precisely what caused human extinction in a couple of Charles Stross novels! (The main character of the first one is one of the sex toys, whose life is without purpose now that her creators are extinct.)

Is that explained in Neptune's Brood? IIRC in Saturn's Children the reasons of the extinction are a mistery.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2015

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Also Harlan Ellison's story "How's the Night Life on Cissalda?", where a bunch of blobby aliens with powerful telepathy and pheromones destroy human civilization in a flurry of nonstop boinking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Amberskin posted:

Is that explained in Neptune's Brood? IIRC in Saturn's Children the reasons of the extinction are a mistery.

No... no, it's pretty clearly described that way in Saturn's Children.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Selachian posted:

Also Harlan Ellison's story "How's the Night Life on Cissalda?", where a bunch of blobby aliens with powerful telepathy and pheromones destroy human civilization in a flurry of nonstop boinking.

If I'm remembering rightly, this story includes a Queen Elizabeth II sex scene.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheHoodedClaw posted:

If I'm remembering rightly, this story includes a Queen Elizabeth II sex scene.

It does. Ellison throws in a bunch of scenes of celebrities being sexed by Cissaldans, including William Shatner, Truman Capote, the Dalai Lama, Idi Amin, Salvador Dali, Billy Graham, and yes, Liz 2.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Kesper North posted:

No... no, it's pretty clearly described that way in Saturn's Children.

Ouch. Time to reread the book.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Selachian posted:

It does. Ellison throws in a bunch of scenes of celebrities being sexed by Cissaldans, including William Shatner, Truman Capote, the Dalai Lama, Idi Amin, Salvador Dali, Billy Graham, and yes, Liz 2.

Quite the party there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kesper North posted:

it is weirder when god's plan is to give people submissive sex dolls until they die out

its ok though because he spares the people who have pet dogs. all other humans must die, but dog lovers survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drifter posted:

Stay away from the Soldier Son stuff, though.

Coyo7e, you've gotten a bug up your butt; Robin Hobb's Assassin's sextet and Live Ship stuff is quite nice. :mad:

Bugbutter. :argh:
I liked Liveship. It reminded me of the old My Little Pony and Care Bear cartoons, where children find secret, magical animals which nobody else can interact with. It was a lot less obnoxious than "protagonist goes through their fourth dog."

FRINGE

OWLDARK
What is an owldark, exactly? I mean I met a guy while I was working at B&N who was shilling his new novel "Shadows of the Moonglade" but I learned what a moonglade was, at least. Owldark isn't even a thing, it sounds like a name I pulled out of an automatic D&D character generator program back in the mid 90s.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2015