Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Uh guys....?? :stare:

Anyways, I watched the video of Sage's panel at Fanime 2015 and I felt so much secondhand embarrassment at the guy who suggested Sister Princess to him to review... It's always that one guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Superb Owls posted:

Wait, Guru Larry? Holy poo poo that's a name I haven't heard of in a long time now. I remember watching him and Wez on XLeague (Which to non-Brits, is like G4 if its entire history was compressed into almost two years) when I was 12 - 13 and enjoying the stuff those two made (Retro Corner, Top Tens, Reviewmageddon. Think the first two are on Blistered Thumbs).

What the hell happened to Larry these past several years? And where's Wez?

He still does lots of videos and such and has a pretty big sub base (Wez is still involved somewhat I think, but he's also done quite a bit of stuff with Ashens too). He was heavily involved with ScrewAttack Europe/ScrewAttack in general until he got dropped (because IIRC ScrewAttack's boss is awful people and this sort of falling out happens with everyone).

The good thing about Larry is that he watches and supports a lot of stuff, particularly up and coming Youtubers (particularly British Gaming ones) and he's v. knowledgeable about certain things. When I did a recent series on British Games TV, his knowledge was invaluable at points (you'd probably be amazed at just how much British games TV features Guru Larry in it at some point). But this GamerGate involvement is pretty lovely and I think he's been there, at least in comments and the like, since the start - I don't get that poo poo at all and don't know why he just flat out has it in for Kyle. There's plenty of rather messy shade on his Twitter.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty weird when people are organizing political parties ITT. Please keep doing it, I wanna see what the endgame looks like.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

lornekates posted:

Like I said, unless it was a poor choice of words, it is victim blaming.
"Someone innocent just got attacked"
"Really, what did they do to provoke the attack?"

Asking what happened is victim blaming?

I shouldn't pile on, but jesus christ what you said is just loving stupid. Asking for details on a situation is not victim blaming in any way shape or form. Try not to be so oversensitive in the future.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Okay, people are apparently too slow to get it, so I'm going to link the version that's more your speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcvfPGORYI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeeee paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnsssssss.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imagine a pacman eating itself

loving crrrazy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

quakster posted:

imagine a pacman eating itself

loving crrrazy

Wouldn't that just be a rapidly-rotating yellow semicircle?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A distinct possibility.

PS. All aspiring politicians please get off the forums ASAP. A mutually beneficial decision, if there ever was one.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lornekates posted:

Like I said, unless it was a poor choice of words, it is victim blaming.
"Someone innocent just got attacked"
"Really, what did they do to provoke the attack?"

Making nasty comments on the internet is not rape. Asking that question about a rape is victim blaming because when people get raped, it's because somebody decided to rape them. When people get angry on the internet, there's generally some kind of thing that they're reacting to, even if it isn't a reasonable thing to get angry over. The only way you can see those comments as victim blaming is when you presuppose that the person being criticized is innocent. When you're talking about rape, that is correct, you're loving awful if you don't; but we are talking about people smack-talking on the internet, which is not rape.

"Man, people sure seem to be upset with Bill Cosby, what did he d-STOP VICTIM BLAMING!"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

nine-gear crow posted:

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeeee paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnsssssss.

Speaking of pawns, is there actualyl a HiTB for Jurassic World? Because I had a hell of a time with that movie, as terrible as it is.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

e X posted:

Speaking of pawns, is there actualyl a HiTB for Jurassic World? Because I had a hell of a time with that movie, as terrible as it is.

Pretty sure it has been posted before but here it is again cause I'm bored.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jurassic-world-and-jurassic-park-commentary-track/

And here is the latest one
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-bag-terminator-genisys/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

What's the origin of the Ishtar trailer thing? I know it's from RLM but not what specifically.

Edit: I know that it's an actual movie trailer but the references started somewhere.

watho fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 8, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Beefstew posted:

Okay, people are apparently too slow to get it, so I'm going to link the version that's more your speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcvfPGORYI

Okay am I the only one who is honestly getting tired of this joke? It was funny at the start, but this weird thing about "Better steer the conversation back from this one topic!" using it is grinding the joke into the ground.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

watho posted:

What's the origin of the Ishtar trailer thing? I know it's from RLM but not what specifically.

Edit: I know that it's an actual movie trailer but the references started somewhere.

It started on their Star Wars Christmas special (the first part), no one wanted to talk about the film so they just kept replaying the Ishtar trailer and it sort of grew from there.

Edit. Why do I know this?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wrageowrapper posted:

It started on their Star Wars Christmas special (the first part), no one wanted to talk about the film so they just kept replaying the Ishtar trailer and it sort of grew from there.

Probably because you watched the Star Wars Holiday Special BotW?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay am I the only one who is honestly getting tired of this joke?

Probably.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Nah. Just easier to ignore the posts though.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
So what exactly is the deal with the Your Movie Sucks dot org guy? Someone linked me his After Earth review and it was mostly memes and labored bullshit

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm not tired of it, but I'm worried about what it's doing to my mind, because it's getting to the point where I'm considering seeking out a copy of Ishtar, and I know that it'll only end in disappointment.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

dreezy posted:

So what exactly is the deal with the Your Movie Sucks dot org guy? Someone linked me his After Earth review and it was mostly memes and labored bullshit

While I agree he does overdo it with memes at times, he does have REALLY good Top 10 movies lists which are full of really interesting foreign and indie films that are really awesome for finding out films you never heard of. His After Earth review isn't his best, I'd say check out his SAW retrospective and his Top 10's, the SAW one is really fun and you can tell he had a blast looking at those dumbass movies and his Top 10s, as I said before, are really awesome looks at lesser known movies of the past few years.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

It hit its peak during the last RLM stream-a-thon where they replayed different versions of it during breaks, notably the super slow version Beefstew posted.

Hopefully it hits BotW soon. :swoon:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It hit its peak during the last RLM stream-a-thon where they replayed different versions of it during breaks, notably the super slow version Beefstew posted.

Hopefully it hits BotW soon. :swoon:

Isn't Ishtar a bit to high profile for BotW?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

Isn't Ishtar a bit to high profile for BotW?

Also it's possible that they've watched it already, and the unspoken rule of BotW seems to be that they don't watch movies that more than two of the panelists have already seen.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

DStecks posted:

Also it's possible that they've watched it already, and the unspoken rule of BotW seems to be that they don't watch movies that more than two of the panelists have already seen.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for their next commentary track.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dreezy posted:

He fills the hole left in people's hearts after RLM stopped being about a man reviewing movies in an annoying fake voice.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Your Movie Sucks is internally consistent, enthusiastic overanalysis, the best kind of overanalysis.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

quakster posted:

Your Movie Sucks is internally consistent, enthusiastic overanalysis, the best kind of overanalysis.

Yet he doesn't get how Fury Road is feminist :v:

But I digress I do enjoy his take on movie editing and camera angles, not so much when it seems to overtake the other aspects of the review like what's shown on screen.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

He is significantly more mellowed out than your typical (angry) reviewer and his taste in movies is on point. I usually don't like overanalysis, but in his case it's alright.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok, a good while ago, someone here posted a neat video about radio personalities -> newscasters and how it sort of related to internet critic folk nowadays. Who posted it? I recall vaguely being from someone who participated on the mental illness month thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
One thing I'll say about Mad Max Fury Road, it would not have been nearly as good of a movie if you had replaced the music with fart noises.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

One thing I'll say about Mad Max Fury Road, it would not have been nearly as good of a movie if you had replaced the music with fart noises.

On the other hand, this would have necessitated a giant fart wagon driving around in the chase. A misshapen man standing tall atop the vehicle, blasting methane into the air in an honored ritual.

Which would have had my inner 12 year old doubled over the whole movie.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Gyges posted:

On the other hand, this would have necessitated a giant fart wagon driving around in the chase. A misshapen man standing tall atop the vehicle, blasting methane into the air in an honored ritual.

Which would have had my inner 12 year old doubled over the whole movie.

Where do you think the fuel for the guitar came from? :wiggle:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

They should do the Beastmaster movies. Or at least 80s fantasy.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Linkara has his new LOTD episode up, on Marvel Zombies 2

http://blip.tv/at4w/lotd-marvel-zombies-2-7204284

He's been doing the whole series for the past week, and I'm surprised by how much I'm liking them. The series is really dark, but I don't hate it as much as that Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe miniseries that came out, which was probably just as dark as this one.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

Ok, a good while ago, someone here posted a neat video about radio personalities -> newscasters and how it sort of related to internet critic folk nowadays. Who posted it? I recall vaguely being from someone who participated on the mental illness month thing.

You mean this thing Cheapskate did?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

achillesforever6 posted:

Another guy was pissed at you too, I think it was Guru Larry man this thing is hosed, I'm just glad that GGautoblock exists to help people deal with these jagoffs

I am so bummed to find out Guru Larry is a gater :(

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay am I the only one who is honestly getting tired of this joke? It was funny at the start, but this weird thing about "Better steer the conversation back from this one topic!" using it is grinding the joke into the ground.

I think they're wonderful. :allears: #IshtarGate

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Someone requested I do a video on the second Silent Hill film. So naturally, I did a forty-four minute video on the entire fifteen-year history of the series, tried to trash a Silent Hill fan channel and then took the idea of canon to task. You should be careful what you ask of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

poparena posted:

Someone requested I do a video on the second Silent Hill film. So naturally, I did a forty-four minute video on the entire fifteen-year history of the series, tried to trash a Silent Hill fan channel and then took the idea of canon to task. You should be careful what you ask of me.

:thumbsup: I cut myself on all this edge.

• Locked thread