Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In South Park: Stick of Truth, you can go to Tom's Rhinoplasty and get your face done up to look like David Hasslehof like Mr. Garrison did in an early episode. It replaces your head with a photo, not beige construction paper heads of every other characters. There is a photograph of the back of his head for when you face away, but otherwise it's the same headshot whether you're facing to the side or towards the camera.

And after several minutes of David Hasslehof just staring at me, I just lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The final level of Dishonored Brigmore Witches DLC can be played like Thief 1's final level.

You can ghost in and sabotage Delilah's painting while her back is turned, and ruins the ritual and sets her in a fate worse than death.

And it's a really cool plot by the villain. It manages to be supernaturally terrifying, and mundanely malevolent. Delilah's big plot is to use her magic to take over Emily Kaldwin's body, and therefore become the new Empress. That's a more fun villain than we ever got with Corvo, Hiram wasn't much of a rival. And you can't help but wonder if her failed ritual imbued some powers upon Emily in Dishonored 2.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

The final level of Dishonored Brigmore Witches DLC can be played like Thief 1's final level.

You can ghost in and sabotage Delilah's painting while her back is turned, and ruins the ritual and sets her in a fate worse than death.

And it's a really cool plot by the villain. It manages to be supernaturally terrifying, and mundanely malevolent. Delilah's big plot is to use her magic to take over Emily Kaldwin's body, and therefore become the new Empress. That's a more fun villain than we ever got with Corvo, Hiram wasn't much of a rival. And you can't help but wonder if her failed ritual imbued some powers upon Emily in Dishonored 2.

The dlc explains how Emily might have gotten powers. Though Daud doesn't fully understand it, his followers develop abilities by being around him for so long. Never get to find out what happens to the followers if someone with the actual mark dies though.
My guess is either she got it by proximity of Corvo or she ends up interesting the Outsider too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dr Christmas posted:

In South Park: Stick of Truth, you can go to Tom's Rhinoplasty and get your face done up to look like David Hasslehof like Mr. Garrison did in an early episode. It replaces your head with a photo, not beige construction paper heads of every other characters. There is a photograph of the back of his head for when you face away, but otherwise it's the same headshot whether you're facing to the side or towards the camera.

And after several minutes of David Hasslehof just staring at me, I just lost it.

The best part of this is everyone around town starts giving you compliments about how good you look.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Elite Dangerous (AKA Euro Spacetruck Simulator) has a very neat diagetic interface, in that every menu save for the pause menu is displayed as holograms projected into your ship's cockpit. For example, you can either bring up your contacts menu by hitting the hotkey for it, or you can toggle freelook and swing your face around the cabin until the menu pops up. It's all very seamless and works well to give you the impression that you're a dude flying a thing rather than the usual space sim thing where you basically are your spaceship.

Occasionally, if you make poor decisions while bounty hunting like I do, you also run the risk of having your cockpit smashed up by an enemy you really should've known better than to pick on. Not only does this leave you frantically looking for the nearest spacedock with repair facilities before your emergency life support runs out, but any bits of your canopy that've been wrecked also stop displaying relevant HUD information.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

In one of my first bounty hunting missions in Elite I managed to plow into my target at a high rate of speed, completely shattering the front cockpit. The sudden *WOOSH* of air and debris caught me so off guard that I actually let out a frantic yelp and turned that fight into one of the more white-knuckle experiences I've ever had in a space game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

The best part of this is everyone around town starts giving you compliments about how good you look.

Including your mom. :v:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I haven't played too much of it yet, but I'm really digging Valkryia Chronicles' artstyle. The whole game has a really pretty handrawn asthetic that I wish was more common because it's just that nice.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

...man I am going to be so sad if Planescape 2 winds up being as disappointing as Wasteland 2 was.

What was wrong with wasteland 2?

funmanguy posted:

His name was Rober... Oh, I see, ha ha.

I don't, what's the joke? :saddowns:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Anatharon posted:

I don't, what's the joke? :saddowns:

Fight Club reference.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Anatharon posted:

What was wrong with wasteland 2?

A linear, mostly-on-rails sequel of an open-world game/genre. Personally I loved it, but I'm also the sucker who liked Fallout Tactics. v:v:v

E: It was definitely full of Little Things for this thread though! Toasters always had some weird random loot in them that seemed like it would be useless. Shampoo? A bus schedule? But sure enough someone would soon be looking for that exact thing with a bit of throwaway dialog that (if you didn't have the item) would look exactly like flavor text.

E2: VVV It wasn't a perfect (or even excellent) game, to be sure. But it was mighty enjoyable and I recommend it to fans of the genre. (Also don't get safecracking, just use dynamite)

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jul 7, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

A linear, mostly-on-rails sequel of an open-world game/genre. Personally I loved it, but I'm also the sucker who liked Fallout Tactics. v:v:v

It was also old school to a fault in a lot of areas (THREE unlocking skills, really?) and just a bit on the bland side overall.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It was also old school to a fault in a lot of areas (THREE unlocking skills, really?) and just a bit on the bland side overall.
Three?

Lockpick (open locked doors, locked containers)
Demolitions (open locked containers which explode if not unlocked instead of just not opening)
Computer Science (works on two computers and 4267 digital locks)
Alarm Disarm (noisy locks)
Bash (opens locks with a key shaped like a fist)
Safecracking (open locked containers that happen to have safe models)
Toaster Repair (open locked containers with toaster models)

A couple of those are maybe pushing it but yeah

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Wasn't there also a Repair skill that was mostly for locks you break during skill failures?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ShootaBoy posted:

I haven't played too much of it yet, but I'm really digging Valkyria Chronicles' artstyle. The whole game has a really pretty handrawn asthetic that I wish was more common because it's just that nice.

Yeah, I love it too. I love the opening sequence where it draws the tank before filling it in with water colors and animating. Pretty slick. I also love the way the map is represented, how it seamlessly zooms out and becomes a surveyor's map while planning. Also the onomatopoeia effects are a nice touch.

It's a good game. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Three?

Lockpick (open locked doors, locked containers)
Demolitions (open locked containers which explode if not unlocked instead of just not opening)
Computer Science (works on two computers and 4267 digital locks)
Alarm Disarm (noisy locks)
Bash (opens locks with a key shaped like a fist)
Safecracking (open locked containers that happen to have safe models)
Toaster Repair (open locked containers with toaster models)

A couple of those are maybe pushing it but yeah

Also 3 speech skills :stonkhat:

More importantly for my first Wasteland 2 run: the final area is not afraid to kill anyone and everyone, including instantly turning some of your party members, who may have easily included the one party member specialized to open the door to the 'save the world' part after beating the final boss :mad:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mokinokaro posted:

Speaking of, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity, and oh my god that game gets balancing 'old school' and 'modern' exactly right.

I have trouble going back to like, any western RPG before a certain point no matter how good they are, because RPGs show their age so painfully even in updates and re-releases. Baldur's Gate feels old beyond its years, largely because it's got a lot of mechanics that were relics of D&D 2e. Morrowind has a similar issue, where it's hard for me to pick up not because it's complex, or slow, or because of Cliff Racers, but because it has a lot of mechanics that just didn't have a place in the kind of game they were making.

Pillars of Eternity takes the direction I've always wanted to see. They basically built the Infinity Engine from the ground up, and then removed the outdated bullshit. It doesn't feel like a 'throwback game', it doesn't feel dumbed down, it just feels like they went back to those early games and learned the right lessons about how to make one. I didn't grow up with Infinity Engine games, but it doesn't feel like that's a prerequisite.

I just wish we got an equivalent from games I was closer to. My dream game now is basically just someone modernizing Morrowind in the same way.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity, and oh my god that game gets balancing 'old school' and 'modern' exactly right.

I have trouble going back to like, any western RPG before a certain point no matter how good they are, because RPGs show their age so painfully even in updates and re-releases. Baldur's Gate feels old beyond its years, largely because it's got a lot of mechanics that were relics of D&D 2e. Morrowind has a similar issue, where it's hard for me to pick up not because it's complex, or slow, or because of Cliff Racers, but because it has a lot of mechanics that just didn't have a place in the kind of game they were making.

Pillars of Eternity takes the direction I've always wanted to see. They basically built the Infinity Engine from the ground up, and then removed the outdated bullshit. It doesn't feel like a 'throwback game', it doesn't feel dumbed down, it just feels like they went back to those early games and learned the right lessons about how to make one. I didn't grow up with Infinity Engine games, but it doesn't feel like that's a prerequisite.

I just wish we got an equivalent from games I was closer to. My dream game now is basically just someone modernizing Morrowind in the same way.

They're literally remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, if mods are your thing :haw:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

death .cab for qt posted:

They're literally remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, if mods are your thing :haw:

The ongoing effort to make an open-source version of Morrowind's engine is pretty far along, it'll probably be pretty mindblowing to play it on an engine that can actually use both CPU and GPU and can have a zillion quality-of-life improvements added.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

death .cab for qt posted:

They are, but that's the wrong direction to go. Every Bethesda game is 'streamlined' more than those before it, and while that does mean that they fix the problems that cause those games to be hard to go back to, they do it at a cost of removing the complexity and personalization that were big draws of those games in the first place. I don't want to play Morrowind in the Skyrim engine, because that wouldn't carry over the things that make me want to play Morrowind. It's not just the setting I like, it's the heavy stat focus, very loose balance and heavy customization.

Maybe Skywind is more than just importing/remaking assets from Morrowind, I don't know. I haven't looked in a long time.

Sleeveless posted:

The ongoing effort to make an open-source version of Morrowind's engine is pretty far along, it'll probably be pretty mindblowing to play it on an engine that can actually use both CPU and GPU and can have a zillion quality-of-life improvements added.

This, though, I am looking forward to. It's exactly what the game would need.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Morrowind's combat does need a serious revamp in any new version, though. It was pretty awful when it came out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up Far Cry 4 on sale last week and have been playing through it. I was treating it pretty much the same as Just Cause 2, as they are relatively similar in playing style, but the wild life really throws a wrench into everything.

I usually use stealth as much as possible, so I was taking out one of the enemy outposts. While scouting it, a loving honey badger tore my poo poo up. Then it happened again the next time I tried it too. It definitely makes the game more unpredictable.

Edit: Would going to Far Cry 3 from 4 be a giant step backwards (like going from rear end creed 2 to 1), or are they pretty much similar? I wouldn't mind giving that one a try after if it's good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit: Would going to Far Cry 3 from 4 be a giant step backwards (like going from rear end creed 2 to 1), or are they pretty much similar? I wouldn't mind giving that one a try after if it's good.

far cry 4 has a ton of quality of life improvements over 3. I think the locale is much more interesting. i like the auto crafting of needles and the auto loot with no animations. I feel like the overall UI, map and missions are much better too. I really enjoyed far cry 3 and spent my time finishing it before moving onto 4 because my best friend showed me some of it and I had a feeling I'd find it tough going backwards.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AFewBricksShy posted:

They are pretty similar. Far Cry 4 is like a more polished and streamlined 3. The story in 3 is much dumber than 4.

FLT in Far Cry 4 is the Buzzsaw. Hands down best gun in the game and it trivializes just about every engagement.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

David Copperfield posted:

Also 3 speech skills :stonkhat:

More importantly for my first Wasteland 2 run: the final area is not afraid to kill anyone and everyone, including instantly turning some of your party members, who may have easily included the one party member specialized to open the door to the 'save the world' part after beating the final boss :mad:

You can cheese this by taking him out of the party before starting the pre fight talk, even if he's in the room, as long as he's not in your party he won't turn.

I don't really see how anyone could call the game 'linear', also.

I'm definitely going to replay it when the director's cut drops, there's a lot of interesting choices and quests I want to see the other sides of.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Morrowind's combat does need a serious revamp in any new version, though. It was pretty awful when it came out.
It's not great, but it isn't any worse than Oblivion or Skyrim's to be honest. It gets the job done and lets you do fun stuff with spells, and if you're not playing a mage what are you even doing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's not great, but it isn't any worse than Oblivion or Skyrim's to be honest. It gets the job done and lets you do fun stuff with spells, and if you're not playing a mage what are you even doing

Sword combat in particular is much worse, especially at the beginning of the game, since it's a dice roll to hit with every swing you can stand on top of a completely stationary mudcrab flailing wildly at it and never hit it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Diceroll combat in first-person where you can stab a guy in the face 10 times without ever actually hitting him, having to walk super slowly to arbitrarily keep you Stamina meter full to have a chanve at actually hitting anybody, and having to sleep after every fight because magic doesn't regenerate on its own was pretty loving bad even at the time it came out.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Sleeveless posted:

Diceroll combat in first-person where you can stab a guy in the face 10 times without ever actually hitting him, having to walk super slowly to arbitrarily keep you Stamina meter full to have a chanve at actually hitting anybody, and having to sleep after every fight because magic doesn't regenerate on its own was pretty loving bad even at the time it came out.

The combat in Oblivion, and Skyrim, was also bad on release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

But still better than Morrowind's even after patching.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

carry on then posted:

Sword combat in particular is much worse, especially at the beginning of the game, since it's a dice roll to hit with every swing you can stand on top of a completely stationary mudcrab flailing wildly at it and never hit it.
Would you rather "hit" and get audio/visual feedback but deal no damage? It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. It shouldn't even happen that much if you manage your stamina well and use a weapon you have some skill in.

I get that they could have put more effort into the presentation to avoid the weird feeling of flailing about in the air, but when you get down to it it's an RPG with to-hit rolls, it's a layer of abstraction :shrug: it's not great, but it's just action-RPG combat that falls more towards the RPG side and doesn't do it particularly well. The sequels fall more towards the action side and don't do that well at all. Guess it comes down to which you can put up with more.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Would you rather "hit" and get audio/visual feedback but deal no damage?

I vastly prefer that, yes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

carry on then posted:

I vastly prefer that, yes.
It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. :mrgw:

Also this mod makes it much better.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

AFewBricksShy posted:

Far Cry 3's game play was really improved in 4, but the same kind of stealth hunting is still very strong in 3. Prepare for a dumber story however.

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon is insanely awesome no matter what, play that afterward!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Would you rather "hit" and get audio/visual feedback but deal no damage? It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. It shouldn't even happen that much if you manage your stamina well and use a weapon you have some skill in.

I get that they could have put more effort into the presentation to avoid the weird feeling of flailing about in the air, but when you get down to it it's an RPG with to-hit rolls, it's a layer of abstraction :shrug: it's not great, but it's just action-RPG combat that falls more towards the RPG side and doesn't do it particularly well. The sequels fall more towards the action side and don't do that well at all. Guess it comes down to which you can put up with more.

No I feel that it is bad because you need to physically hit the other guy with your sword for the game to roll whether you "hit" him or not. Acting like this is an ok trade-off to solve some intractable problem is weird to me because almost no action rpgs besides elder scrolls have this issue at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Heavy Lobster posted:

There's a difference between 'bland' and 'bad'. Skyrim and Oblivion's was the former. I still think of Morrowind as my favourite ES game, but goddamn just hearing the 'whoosh whoosh whoosh' of combat, having to constantly walk because of stamina, chugging down mana potions constantly, that poo poo ain't fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

swamp waste posted:

No I feel that it is bad because you need to physically hit the other guy with your sword for the game to roll whether you "hit" him or not. Acting like this is an ok trade-off to solve some intractable problem is weird to me because almost no action rpgs besides elder scrolls have this issue at all.
you are weird to me, also.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Fair enough

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

in any other game you'd call that bullshit lag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Morpheus posted:

There's a difference between 'bland' and 'bad'. Skyrim and Oblivion's was the former. I still think of Morrowind as my favourite ES game, but goddamn just hearing the 'whoosh whoosh whoosh' of combat, having to constantly walk because of stamina, chugging down mana potions constantly, that poo poo ain't fun.

I think they're all bad in different ways. "Bland" is bad when your goal is to have fun, and I'd rather have combat that gets more tolerable over time (Morrowind) rather than combat that starts off as a slog and only become more of a slog as time goes on (Oblivion and Skyrim).