Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OH! OH OH OH! Cross Ange.

loving Cross Ange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DamnGlitch posted:

loving Cross Ange.

Good call

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManlyGrunting posted:

Thanks all. We're going for Mad Bull 34: turns out we only saw part 1 of 4 of the OVA. Time for the continuing adventures of Eddie-baaaaaan and Sleepy the crossdressing supervillain.

Dig up a copy of Lily C.A.T. and take a sip, and only a sip, every time it cribs off Alien. Otherwise you'll die of alcohol poisoning.

DamnGlitch posted:

loving Cross Ange.

Oh god no. Cross Ange isn't even good enough to be laughed at, the only reason to drink while watching is to numb the pain.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 7, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

the bad dilbert emote meme

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Gunbuster is pretty terribad in the execution of most of it but it's simultaneously got a Wicked sweet premise and actually attempts to pay lip service to physics at speeds approaching the speed of light which was neat. Drop down and give me 20 robo-pushups!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Gunbuster is pretty terribad in the execution of most of it

the opposite of welcome back

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ManlyGrunting posted:

This is going to sound odd, but my friends and I like to get together, drink some beers and watch anime, and lately we've been on a kick for bad anime that's fun to mock and make fun of, and we just finished up Psycho-Pass season 2. Do you all have any suggestions?

Kill la kill

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mew Mew Power is still one of the worst things I've ever seen (that wasn't a 90s OVA, so, out of mainstream anime). Holy poo poo is it loving terrible. You will not be disappointed.

The original Yu Gi Oh is really great but also rife for making fun of and is enjoyably dorky a lot, especially the dub.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Gunbuster is pretty terribad in the execution of most of it but it's simultaneously got a Wicked sweet premise and actually attempts to pay lip service to physics at speeds approaching the speed of light which was neat. Drop down and give me 20 robo-pushups!

Gunbuster is great and not terribad at all.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Seconding Valvrave. I can't speak of Cross Ange as I have yet to dip my toes into it yet. Is Mahouka a train wreck, or just aggressively boring to the point of tears?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cubemario posted:

I can't speak of Cross Ange as I have yet to dip my toes into it yet.

Don't do it, there are people who care about you! :ohdear:

Mederlock posted:

The only thing terribad here is your opinion of Gunbuster :colbert:.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Like, don't get me wrong, I really liked it, mainly the end. It's just pretty tacky in that hammy 80's way that's easy to laugh at, basically up to the protag's first battle with the aliens. After that it gets real fuckin cool

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cubemario posted:

Is Mahouka a train wreck, or just aggressively boring to the point of tears?
How much do you like student council members standing around talking about what just happened and what they're going to do next?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The fun trainwrecks are short stuff you can watch in a single day, all of the 26 episode long trainwreck suggestions tend to lose their momentum at some point and just become an awful slog to sit through.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like for instance a good chunk of Valvrave S2 is a meandering bunch of episodes that can't decide if it wants to be Gundam or Geass so it combines the dull parts of both.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cubemario posted:

Mahouka a train wreck, or just aggressively boring to the point of tears?

Mahouka is interesting, weirdly incestuous, and then almost immediately boring and ugly, and the main character is invincible and perfect.

Would not recommend for crazy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mederlock posted:

mods?

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Looking for a three part recommendation for myself, my wife, and for the both of us. We both got introduced through Miyazaki films and tried wading into the series with some really pleasant results. Up to this point we've just been trying a hit or miss technique on Netflix and Crunchyroll but it's a lot more miss than hit lately.

The shows I've really enjoyed have been Planetes, Monster, Mushishi, Kids on the Slope, Akagi, Bartender, Kino's Journey, Legend of Galactic Heroes and Stein's Gate

My wife, on the other hand really digs the more heartstring-pulling varieties where (in her words) " the geeky, awkward protagonist gets SOME kind of romantic resolution in the end". Her favorites are Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad, Angel Beats and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

The ones we both enjoy are usually comedies or more light-hearted fare: Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Parade, D-Frag! Hibeke Euphonium,(more her taste than mine, but gently caress if that's not a beautifully animated show). We both are aggressively enjoying Non Non Biyori, the anime equivalent of a cup of chamomille tea, and Ore Monogatari.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and would help us to avoid the Cross Ange's of this world.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Looking for a three part recommendation for myself, my wife, and for the both of us. We both got introduced through Miyazaki films and tried wading into the series with some really pleasant results. Up to this point we've just been trying a hit or miss technique on Netflix and Crunchyroll but it's a lot more miss than hit lately.

The shows I've really enjoyed have been Planetes, Monster, Mushishi, Kids on the Slope, Akagi, Bartender, Kino's Journey, Legend of Galactic Heroes and Stein's Gate

My wife, on the other hand really digs the more heartstring-pulling varieties where (in her words) " the geeky, awkward protagonist gets SOME kind of romantic resolution in the end". Her favorites are Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad, Angel Beats and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

The ones we both enjoy are usually comedies or more light-hearted fare: Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Parade, D-Frag! Hibeke Euphonium,(more her taste than mine, but gently caress if that's not a beautifully animated show). We both are aggressively enjoying Non Non Biyori, the anime equivalent of a cup of chamomille tea, and Ore Monogatari.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and would help us to avoid the Cross Ange's of this world.

It's not streaming anywhere, but i'm giving you (and your wife) the recommendation to watch Paradise Kiss.

E: retroactively adding Chihayafuru and Azumanga Daioh. :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 8, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Silver Spoon

Higashi no Eden
Chihayafuru
Uchuu Kyoudai

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Based on the stuff you both enjoy, I can safely say that Nozaki-kun is the correct answer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Go watch Azumanga Daioh. Oh, and Redline.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

That Works posted:

Silver Spoon

Higashi no Eden
Chihayafuru
Uchuu Kyoudai

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Looking for recs

Your wife would probably enjoy Toradora and AnoHana

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you enjoy magical realism and fairy tale love stories and undersea societies as a metaphor for ethnic conflict and some incredibly intense Character Development (the main character turns from an angry bigot into a chill guy), try Nagi no Asukara.

Really nice music and backgrounds.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Srice posted:

Based on the stuff you both enjoy, I can safely say that Nozaki-kun is the correct answer.

Yeah Nozaki-kun sounds right up your alley, seconding that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Kaiji
Nozaki-kun
Hanasaku Iroha

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions, these will certainly keep us busy for the summer!

Early reports after one episode:

Azumanga Daioh: These are GOOD girls, but we are unsure if they can unseat Nichijou for title of BEST girls.

Nozaki-kun: Bow Girl (sorry, it takes us a few episodes before the names stick) is refreshingly sassy, but she's not getting any love is she? Also, best opening music theme.

Nagi no Asukara: Gorgeous visuals, and my wife is pretty sure this one's going to make her cry, so she's pretty hyped about that.

Chihayafuru: Neither of us have been really interested in the sports genre, but this one definitely seems more delicate. Also, the kids are REALLY into their poetry card game.

More reports in the future if you're interested.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, these will certainly keep us busy for the summer!

Early reports after one episode:

Azumanga Daioh: These are GOOD girls, but we are unsure if they can unseat Nichijou for title of BEST girls.

Nozaki-kun: Bow Girl (sorry, it takes us a few episodes before the names stick) is refreshingly sassy, but she's not getting any love is she? Also, best opening music theme.

Nagi no Asukara: Gorgeous visuals, and my wife is pretty sure this one's going to make her cry, so she's pretty hyped about that.

Chihayafuru: Neither of us have been really interested in the sports genre, but this one definitely seems more delicate. Also, the kids are REALLY into their poetry card game.

More reports in the future if you're interested.

For an extra suggestion, try the currently-simulcasting series Seiyu's Life. It's available on Funimation's streaming service in the US.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Please enjoy my favorite anime

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Also, the kids are REALLY into their poetry card game.

This is kind of what has made Chihayafuru interesting to me so far. The game is kind of esoteric but I'm drawn in by their enthusiasm.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please keep up the trip reports, I love that sort of thing. Either in this thread or the general anime chat thread.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Three episodes in, and one movie:

Redline: Stunning animation, but far more kinetic than I'm used to watching, so I feel I probably didn't appreciate it as much as i could have. Got a weird nostalgic Ralph Bakshi feel from it. Also, the power of victory through ludicrous hair.

Chihayafuru: A surprise to both of us, we are almost disturbingly invested in these children and their violent poetry card game. Actual conversation follows:

SHE: I think I've found my "Rocky", these kids are my Rocky Balboa.
ME: Well, it's still early so that might be over-stating i-----
SHE: SHHH! They're training. Never interrupt training.

Approximately 8 minutes later....

SHE: NO! You can't break up Rocky Balboa! This is bullshit!

Nozaki-kun: One word: Seo . Also, Mikorin: So....many....flowers....

Azumanga Daioh: Still GOOD girls, Osaka and Chiyo are the BEST duo of the GOOD girls. We've got a sneaking suspicion Sakaki may be the BEST girl of the GOOD girls

Nagi no Asukaru Definitely the most sobering of the ones we are watching, it'll be really interesting to see where this goes with it's racial metaphors. MC is a bit of a dick.

If it's more appropriate, I can port these reports over to the general anime chat.

Doctor Isosceles fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The general thread is a lot faster paced and somewhat rowdier than this one. Doubt it matters much really.

Chihayafuru is the greatest.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Redline is actually worth watching more than once if you've got the time or the inclination. The first time through it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer kinetic energy of it all, but once you know the major beats there's actually a lot of subtle nuances and blink-and-you-miss-it details to pick up.

It's the sort of film I regularly introduce my friends to, and each time I've noticed something new.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Doctor Isosceles posted:

for him: Haibane Renmei
for her: Honey & Clover
for both: polar bear cafe

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For both: K-ON, Kinmoza, GJ-bu

• Locked thread