Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i have a feeling seth make be preparing to step off the wagon in some way in near future. the vibe i get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

a starwar betamax posted:

i have a feeling seth make be preparing to step off the wagon in some way in near future. the vibe i get.

RIP Seth

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

a starwar betamax posted:

"Off the wagon" meaning "Admitting to having an email address and possibly getting a smart phone".

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Yeah dog

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Paaaaaaaper chaaaaaase...

I think they might actually hit 6k.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Threw in $10/mo. Haven't been listening as much recently but the massive amount of entertainment these two dudes have provided me with over the years makes it more than worth it. I half-expect to never see this USB stick they're promising me though.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
They should be able to get 6k+/month. AFAIK they get around 50k downloads weekly and right around now they have about 550 donations, so a little over 1% of the audience is all they need. All I know is, we need to contact museums across the country to find a home for the Dance.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Hey Louvre buy this famous podcast car.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm glad they are going to get all this money but the odds of them splitting up now have increased by an order of magnitude. The uyd set is going to resemble an episode of Dallas with all the gold trimmed glass furniture and fenced in racehorse grazing areas.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CaptainJuan posted:

Hey Louvre buy this famous podcast car.

gently caress the Louvre, Apple should have built the podcast museum in their massive new office-donut in Cupertino.

Seth's dance.
Bill Burr's snippy wife.
Paul F. Tompkins' capacity to laugh at his own one word jokes.

The possible exhibits are endless.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm glad they are going to get all this money but the odds of them splitting up now have increased by an order of magnitude. The uyd set is going to resemble an episode of Dallas with all the gold trimmed glass furniture and fenced in racehorse grazing areas.

Jonathan works 3 days a week in LA, has a still-at-work big time TV star dad and has a gold tooth. It'll be cool man

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

More likely, Jonathan is going to manage to get grifted every month and lose all of the podcast money. Can't wait to hear him excitedly talk about his long lost uncle in Nigeria that died and left him a bunch of money

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
They just revealed a new t-shirt design on Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/2886619

I can't quite tell, but is that supposed to be the peyote cactus?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

CortezFantastic posted:

Jonathan works 3 days a week in LA, has a still-at-work big time TV star dad and has a gold tooth. It'll be cool man

I thought the part with Jonathan mentioning how much they work was funny. Seth works five days a week and it's gotta be a lot of work rounding up the volume of crazy poo poo they talk about on the podcast, while Jonathan is somehow an adult man living in LA who works three days a week. I guess the residuals he gets for sound work are pretty good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I imagine Jah has had a bit of that Night Court cash, too.

Marxism
Feb 14, 2012
Does/Did Jah really work at a weed store? I've always heard him refer to it as "The Store"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Marxism posted:

Does/Did Jah really work at a weed store? I've always heard him refer to it as "The Store"

He used to work at a pet store but I believe now he's into event production judging from his posts on instagram.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Seth works at a medical marijuana dispensary.

E: however apparently if their patreon hits 10k/month he will be a full time podcast pre-pro professional

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 9, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It begins....

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Past 6k

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I have a feeling 465 will just be Seth freaking out over all this mailboxPatreon money :allears:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Added a new goal

Jonathan and Seth become fully self employed
$10,000 per month
This goal has been set due in part to the incredible response we have already received from listeners pledging. As many of you know Seth puts in full time job hours every week researching topics for the show. For almost a decade now he has done so while also maintaining a full time 5 day a week job. It may surprise some of you to know Jonathan also works a day job 3-4 days a week and collects countless parking tickets. This goal being met and kept would free them of having pursue any other jobs outside of UYD. Fully self employed by the show they love, directly made possible by the people who love to listen. After nearly ten years of doing the show under these types of circumstances and time constraints, it is exciting to think what would develop from providing the guys with that kind of space, time, and freedom.

nothing is going to change

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I can't wait for the Uhh Yeah Dude movie they're gonna make with all this money.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly I think one big, beneficial change would be to film every episode and have somebody put highlight clips on YouTube regularly. They don't even need to make the full-length videos available, just having a more reliable YouTube presence could get a lot of people interested.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_TLXgp2CuE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFtkN2BOQbs

Whatever happened to Seth? That's Seth, dude.

I agree go back to filming stuff because those videos probably turned a loooot of people onto UYD.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 9, 2015

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Also monetizing views is easy on YouTube as opposed to podcast listeners

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

niethan posted:

Also monetizing views is easy on YouTube as opposed to podcast listeners

The clips that have been up for years never really broke 100k, so I doubt that.

I honestly expect nothing to change at all and I'm fine with that. They still deserve every dollar for the amount of entertainment they have given me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do they really need $5000 each to become "self employed"?

I mean, more power to them, but they're already at a level where they could both easily be self-employed.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I don't know how other patreons have turned out, but I think it's fair to assume that after a while there's gonna be a dropoff in the amount pledged per month from people who can't afford it anymore / got their USB stick / switch credit cards and don't bother updating payment info / etc. So hopefully they've done the math and can predict that, so $10,000/month now translates to something sustainable down the line.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do they really need $5000 each to become "self employed"?

I mean, more power to them, but they're already at a level where they could both easily be self-employed.
You want to live in LA, pay your own benefits/taxes, and cover the hosting expense of a popular podcast, all for 36K? Have fun with that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WoG posted:

You want to live in LA, pay your own benefits/taxes, and cover the hosting expense of a popular podcast, all for 36K? Have fun with that.

Except they're both already doing it on their three day a week job and dispensary job, both of which I doubt pay well?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Depending on how you run your accounting, you're going to have to pay substantial taxes on your Patreon income as well. The pledge number you see doesn't represent how much money they will get each month. You'll lose about 10% off the top to transactions that are declined, making the total more like $9,000. With Patreon's cut, and the credit card processing fees, $9,000 a month will net you about $8,100. Take 20% off the top of that for taxes (conservative), and 30% to reinvest in the business (pay for hosting, legal, accounting, help, travel) and you're looking at $4,050 take-home for the guys, or $2,025 each, in addition to whatever income they get from other sources. That feels somewhere on the low end for living in Los Angeles, especially if you also want to be insured.

The above calculations are pure conjecture, based on my own experience running a Patreon campaign. Churn/dropoff isn't as significant as you'd expect it to be. They were smart in not putting physical goods in their reward tiers, though.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Anachronist posted:

I don't know how other patreons have turned out, but I think it's fair to assume that after a while there's gonna be a dropoff in the amount pledged per month from people who can't afford it anymore / got their USB stick / switch credit cards and don't bother updating payment info / etc. So hopefully they've done the math and can predict that, so $10,000/month now translates to something sustainable down the line.

I agree, and wonder if a yearly kickstarter would have made more sense. Then its a (series of) one-time payment(s) that people won't be slowly decreasing, and they can tie yearly successes/stretch goals to live shows, videos of shows, etc.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Brock Samson posted:

I agree, and wonder if a yearly kickstarter would have made more sense. Then its a (series of) one-time payment(s) that people won't be slowly decreasing, and they can tie yearly successes/stretch goals to live shows, videos of shows, etc.

they should have a pledge drive

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Haverchuck posted:

they should have a pledge drive

dukes of hazzard marathon interrupted by seth screaming about sobriety and hawking tote bags. call in and talk to marcia or papa jah or jonathan's parole officer

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's been a decade and they still haven't had John Laroquette do an episode

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
I was thinking the other day about how much I miss those few episodes where jah was gone and Seth's mom filled his spot. If they hit 10,000 they need to have her come on the show with both of them. That woman is adorable

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

$10,000 should be the UYD momcast teir. Single episode, both moms. Seth leaves them the normal stack of notecards arrayed on a couch and they have to make it work, they have to prove the genetic theorm of why UYD has managed to last.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

$10,000 should be the UYD momcast teir. Single episode, both moms. Seth leaves them the normal stack of notecards arrayed on a couch and they have to make it work, they have to prove the genetic theorm of why UYD has managed to last.

This would be incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Can someone explain how Jah is not hosed as a lawsuit target by offering for sale USB drives with 1000 full commercial RIAA-protected songs on them now that he has a proven revenue source and is easily serveable with papers via his own registered ASCAP membership?

Are the first seventeen months of donations going to go towards paying back royalties?