Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Radar Scope is the best radar app, but it costs $10. I use that in conjunction with Weather Timeline.

My favorite free one was Raindar. It's very no-nonsense, but the resolution isn't nearly as good as Radar Scope.

edit: Radar Scope is very small-scale though. As far as I know it only shows one doppler station at a time.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

wa27 posted:

Radar Scope is the best radar app, but it costs $10. I use that in conjunction with Weather Timeline.

My favorite free one was Raindar. It's very no-nonsense, but the resolution isn't nearly as good as Radar Scope.

edit: Radar Scope is very small-scale though. As far as I know it only shows one doppler station at a time.

Raindar is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I would like to index my DVDs and BluRays to sell, so I'd like a barcode scanner app that would make them into a list which I could then export to Excel.

Years ago, there was a goon app named Shelves, but it doesn't seem updated.

Any ideas?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BoyBlunder posted:

I would like to index my DVDs and BluRays to sell, so I'd like a barcode scanner app that would make them into a list which I could then export to Excel.

Any ideas?

I use the desktop version of DVD profiler, looks like there's an app for it. It may not scan the barcodes but I know you can type them in and the interface on pc is really nice.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BoyBlunder posted:

Any ideas?

This looks like it would work?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does Play Music allow you to set a sleep timer?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

No

Sinroth
May 19, 2010
I did a write up on making an Android app from scratch without prior programming knowledge on the Creative Convention part of the forum if anyone is interested.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there anything that will tell me what is triggering my gps? I've got two gps icons bouncing back and forth in my notification bar like it's a dance party.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

On stock if you click in location in settings it'll tell you what's been using it recently

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For what it's worth, Light Flow updated recently to explicitly add support for Android 5.1 in priority mode, and now it works for me as a background app on my S5.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ragingsheep posted:

There's an app called Sleep Timer I use for that purpose.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I got a new phone so I'm trying to figure out this ecosystem.

Apparently, google play music won't read files from google drive? I'm running 5.1 and the only default music player appears to be play music. I have my own sorting system and directory structure, so I don't really want to have to upload/import my music to another third party.

It would be nice to be able to sync files/music/movies to my phone without the USB cable though, since i'm going to be using qi charging.

I definitely need a music player with a widget. Gapless and a 1.5x speed playback would be a bonus, since I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts.

Ideas? What are people doing these days? I'm super behind the times.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bhodi posted:

Apparently, google play music won't read files from google drive? I'm running 5.1 and the only default music player appears to be play music. I have my own sorting system and directory structure, so I don't really want to have to upload/import my music to another third party.

It would be nice to be able to sync files/music/movies to my phone without the USB cable though, since i'm going to be using qi charging.

I definitely need a music player with a widget. Gapless and a 1.5x speed playback would be a bonus, since I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts.

Beyondpod does speed modification and gapless playback for podcasts, you can get audiobooks to work in it but it's not what it's designed for. Music players aren't the best for audiobooks since they tend to start the song over from the beginning rather than saving how much progress you've made through a track.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bhodi posted:

I haven't used it, but I recently read about CloudPlayer that seems to do what you want.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.cloudPlayer

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I want a lock screen app that will let me show a widget of my choosing before swiping up to enter my passcode to get to Nova Launcher. Is my best bet WidgetLocker? Do those kinds of apps suck up too much battery to be worth it? I just want a lock screen that's as adorable as my home screen. :saddowns:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

datajosh posted:

There's an app called Sleep Timer I use for that purpose.

Thanks but I ended up making something in Tasker that does the same thing.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Bhodi posted:

You can upload music to google play music on a computer. This will add it to your play library, and you'll be able to then download it through the app on your device.

It's very nice once you get going, but it requires some setup.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bhodi posted:

Airdroid/Pushbullet/whatever puts stuff on your phone over Wi-Fi, Google Play Music plays local files, etc.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Bhodi posted:

Spotify will sync local songs with your phone over the wifi but you'll have to add said songs to a playlist on your local computer where they are at, then on the phone you can make said playlist available offline. It has gapless and also crossfade settings, but I don't think you can speed up play (or maybe I'm just not finding them right now).

You can also probably just sync files with dropbox or something and use poweramp, it seems to have gapless but I can't find speed up playback settings on it either.

program666 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 8, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

program666 posted:

Spotify will sync local songs with your phone over the wifi but you'll have to add said songs to a playlist on your local computer where they are at, then on the phone you can make said playlist available offline. It has gapless and also crossfade settings, but I don't think you can speed up play (or maybe I'm just not finding them right now).

You can also probably just sync files with dropbox or something and use poweramp, it seems to have gapless but I can't find speed up playback settings on it either.

I didn't think about using special software on the desktop side. If you use MediaMonkey, it can sync wirelessly to its Android app, but there's an in app purchase to unlock it. I love MediaMonkey as a desktop player, but never used the Android app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Pointing something like BitTorrent sync to your music folder, and setting it up on your phone is probably pretty easy and I would imagine works extremely well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The search continues.

Google drive allows "Pinning" which keeps a local copy on the phone, but it stores it in a drive-specific data directory, renames the filename, and also buries it in a md5hash directory. WTF, google? Music/movie players that can scan and read metadata may still pick files up. Unfortunately, this trashes directory organization.

Google music only reads files that are in /Music, so there's no way to play pinned (or otherwise) music from google drive. You could also do a second upload from google drive into google music. Not optimal; I don't want to go through a double upload process every time I add new books/music.

Cloudplayer links and plays music through google drive, however it's the most battery-hog program I have ever seen and requires a 100% constant connection at all times. If you put your phone into airplane mode, the app itself hangs unless it's in 'offline mode'. It does not honor google drive pinning. You can set specific songs in the app itself to "cache offline" but there's no way to do it in bulk. Does not appear to be able to see pinned files in the google drive app sandbox even while in offline mode. Boo.

I'm actually really surprised at the poor interaction between google drive and google music. Especially how drive works great and expected on the desktop and yet has this wonky-rear end phone implementation. I was really hoping for a transparent music interface which lets google drive either read local if the file's been cached or go out to the cloud and get it if not, but it seems like that's not the way it was designed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 8, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bhodi posted:

The search continues.

Google drive allows "Pinning" which keeps a local copy on the phone, but it stores it in a drive-specific data directory, renames the filename, and also buries it in a md5hash directory. WTF, google? Music/movie players that can scan and read metadata may still pick files up. Unfortunately, this trashes directory organization.

Google music only reads files that are in /Music, so there's no way to play pinned (or otherwise) music from google drive. You could also do a second upload from google drive into google music. Not optimal; I don't want to go through a double upload process every time I add new books/music.

Cloudplayer links and plays music through google drive, however it's the most battery-hog program I have ever seen and requires a 100% constant connection at all times. If you put your phone into airplane mode, the app itself hangs unless it's in 'offline mode'. It does not honor google drive pinning. You can set specific songs in the app itself to "cache offline" but there's no way to do it in bulk. Boo.

I'm actually really surprised at the poor interaction between google drive and google music. Especially how drive works great and expected on the desktop and yet has this wonky-rear end phone implementation.

You aren't supposed to use Drive to store music files. I'm not sure why you are? Part of the appeal of google music is that you can upload like 50,000 songs and NOT have it count towards space used for your shared google stuff like Drive and gmail. Just suck it up and upload your stuff to Google Music and never worry about this again.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I have a specific directory organization that works for me and half my stuff doesn't have correct id3 tags. It's also half audiobooks which are organized differently than music and I don't want them lumped together.

I don't care about space used, I'm happy to pay google a few bucks a month to store my poo poo just in case my hard drive dies. But I'm storing all my media and pictures, I don't want to separate them out and curate an entire separate list through google music.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Use BT sync if you don't want to be bothered cleaning up your collection.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe not be a sperg about the music on your phone? Also, use dedicated audiobook and podcast apps. Otherwise, you're just going to be frustrated and upset that nothing does what you want.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to do that. I have a specific directory organization that works for me and half my stuff doesn't have correct id3 tags. It's also half audiobooks which are organized differently than music and I don't want them lumped together.

Sorry, but this went out with Winamp about ten years ago. Start tagging your stuff. Why spend hours and hours searching for a hack around solution when you could spend a few minutes getting your tags sorted out, sync the media to your phone with Airdroid wirelessly, and then just use whatever player you want? There's a ton of programs that can bulk edit tags based on the directory structure they are contained in.

Just tag your files, you'll be happy you did. Saying "No, I will not tag, I must keep this old style paradigm alive even though nothing supports it is basically: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I... I still use winamp.

Everyone's a sperg about their phone, that's why we're here in the SA ghetto.

I mean I've been copying poo poo to my phone for years, I was just hoping there was a cloud solution that worked better than what I've been doing in the past.

I'll try out BT Sync et al tonight to just mirror drive directories from my PC I guess. What are favorite standalone music players that scan directories other than a hardcoded /Music?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

^^^Yeah, I'm pretty anal about my music on my computer, but "gently caress it, Google Play Music can take care of it" works for my phone.^^^

Bhodi posted:

Google music only reads files that are in /Music, so there's no way to play pinned (or otherwise) music from google drive.

I don't think that's true. It reads mp3s I put in the "Download" folder and it reads the files Amazon Music saves when I save a local copy through that app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bhodi posted:

I... I still use winamp.

I mean I've been copying poo poo to my phone for years, I was just hoping there was a cloud solution that worked better than what I've been doing in the past.

I'll try out BT Sync et al tonight to just mirror drive directories from my PC I guess. What are favorite standalone music players that scan directories other than a hardcoded /Music?

Even Google Music will pickup files that aren't in /Music.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

I... I still use winamp.

What did you do it before with? Did you have an Android phone?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Even Google Music will pickup files that aren't in /Music.

Uthor posted:

I don't think that's true. It reads mp3s I put in the "Download" folder and it reads the files Amazon Music saves when I save a local copy through that app.

Maybe it has to do with sandboxing? It definitely does not read the google drive mp3s that are in com.google.android.apps.docs/files/fileinternal/md5hash/filename

I just tried creating a custom/local feed for BeyondPod and pointed it to that directory and it hung so there's got to be some sort of limitation there. Dammit.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What did you do it before with? Did you have an Android phone?

USB copy to a sdcard, samsung's music player 'folder' tab kept the directory structure and played, had gapless and up to 2.x speed. worked for my needs.

Another reason I'm trying to stick with google drive is that I have friends who share their files (and collection) , and I can do the same for them. AFIAK you can't do this with google music.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 8, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Saying "No, I will not tag, I must keep this old style paradigm alive even though nothing supports it is basically: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD."

In this case it's literally old man yells at cloud.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If Bhodi has a system that works for him there's nothing wrong with him dicking around to see if he can still use it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That thing about google music not using a reasonable directory structure is loving retarded. Spotify also cache stuff in stupid ways to avoid people just copying entire albums maybe? All the difficulty they impose on using their stuff is probably related to DRM in some way, gently caress that. Nowadays I only use Spotify but that's because it allows me to use my local music files in a way that is practical for my use case and the radio features make up for whatever beef I have with they way they do things, but it doesn't make it less necessarily contrived.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

program666 posted:

That thing about google music not using a reasonable directory structure is loving retarded. Spotify also cache stuff in stupid ways to avoid people just copying entire albums maybe? All the difficulty they impose on using their stuff is probably related to DRM in some way, gently caress that. Nowadays I only use Spotify but that's because it allows me to use my local music files in a way that is practical for my use case and the radio features make up for whatever beef I have with they way they do things, but it doesn't make it less necessarily contrived.

I think the point is, that why would most users ever care what the directory structure looks like in the background with stuff like Google Music? You see your music in the app, you click button to hear music, and that's it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think the point is, that why would most users ever care what the directory structure looks like in the background with stuff like Google Music? You see your music in the app, you click button to hear music, and that's it.

As a common language between programs in case you want other programs to see it is one. Why mess with a convention that has been used for decades is a much much better question.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Well DRM is the answer I guess. The actual question is why the hell would people defend such bullshit, or gloss over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Glancing at one of the directories and sorting by genre gives me:

Ambient
Ambient Electronica
Chill
Club
Dance
Techno
Electronic
Electronica
Drum & Bass
Freestyle
House
Progressive
Progressive House
New Age
Trance

I wanted those lumped together so I can just shuffle them all. Yes, I could meticulously create playlists of all the types of stuff I want, and then when I add something new I could update all the relevant playlists, but it's just easier to stick all of them in a generic directory than having to gently caress with it. If I want some unst unst I know exactly where to go.

RE: the google drive thing, apparently encryption is on by default, so I turned it off. Other programs still aren't indexing that directory, however. I may be able to go in and manually create a symlink into the sdcard directory. Stay tuned.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 8, 2015

• Locked thread