Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a very specific definition of the plot. If you don't want to watch it just don't, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What are you even responding to? :confused:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Slur's edited out his whining about the anime I see.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Dabir posted:

Slur's edited out his whining about the anime I see.

Eh, I figured it'd be a more substantial post than to just bitch about what everyone else is enjoying in this thread.

Xoidanor posted:

What are you even responding to? :confused:

More or less, annoyed that the story hasn't even begun after ~65 episodes. Nothing has happened except meandering and padding.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That sure was an exciting 15 weeks of nothing from episode 35 to episode 50.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slur posted:

More or less, annoyed that the story hasn't even begun after ~65 episodes. Nothing has happened except meandering and padding.

Jeez man at least consider the medium.
This is actually good/normal pace for shonen anime. Its foolish to expect Yugioh, the card game selling anime, to subvert things that are common practice for Shonen Anime.
Its pretty much common practice for arcs to be ~40-50 episodes long.

iirc this might be related/due to how timeslots on Japanese TV are handled and sold.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the Hanafuda cards and Shun/Dennis duel were cool, which pretty much redeems the last five or so episodes for me. but i can't say the show has been particularly great since the end of the championship.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

the Hanafuda cards and Shun/Dennis duel were cool, which pretty much redeems the last five or so episodes for me. but i can't say the show has been particularly great since the end of the championship.

Hey, the 6 or so episode stretch of Yuya vs Reiji, Yuya vs Yoko, and Yugo vs Security was pretty good. It was only after the lancers reached the Synchro dimension the pacing fell off a cliff. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

dogsicle posted:

Yuya vs. Reiji: Great
Yuya vs. Yoko: Lame, but necessary
Yugo talking with Yuzu, then Yugo vs. Security: Good as heck
Lancers vs. Security: Eh. Not good or bad. Sorta necessary, but, probably could've been shorter.
Gongenzaka vs. Dennis: Fun, but unnecessary.
Shun vs. Dennis: Fun, but unnecessary.
Yuya vs. Chojiro: Didn't need to be two episodes, padded as heck. Also, :byodood: as heck, art and animation-wise.
Breakout episode: Felt pretty padded too, but had fun moments like Yuzu and Yugo.
Lancers vs. Security: Good as heck, plus plenty of good exposition.

It's been more hit than miss in my opinion, it's just been a little bit padded.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yuya vs Yoko was great. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno, it just didn't do much for me. It was kinda slow. But I really like parts of it, like Yoko's backstory and the flashbacks of Shuzo raising Yuzu, so, maybe I dunno what I'm even talking about.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yoko tried to run over Yuya with her motorcycle to teach him a lesson about how one should only duel to give people smiles. It owned.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, I'm still loving the hell out of Arc-V, but I seriously have one complaint with the show, one tiny little complaint.

I GET IT. SHUN IS THE COOLEST CHARACTER EVER AND HE'S TOTALLY BADASS AND RAIDRAPTORS ARE THE BEST DECK.

I hope when Sora shows back up he stomps Shun so hard that he never picks up a Duel Monsters card again. :argh:

EDIT:

I'm loving dying. I can't stop laughing.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 8, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dexie posted:

So, I'm still loving the hell out of Arc-V, but I seriously have one complaint with the show, one tiny little complaint.

I GET IT. SHUN IS THE COOLEST CHARACTER EVER AND HE'S TOTALLY BADASS AND RAIDRAPTORS ARE THE BEST DECK.

I hope when Sora shows back up he stomps Shun so hard that he never picks up a Duel Monsters card again. :argh:

EDIT:

That guy never blinks...none of them do, actually.

But THAT guy though...I think he just doesn't have eye lids.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Isnt that right, chairman?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexie posted:

EDIT:

Gotta agree, the stuff with Shun is just silly and that guy freaks me the gently caress out. I hope he's a robot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pipe down and Buy Raidraptors, you two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was specific about choosing the word "great" in my previous post, because i do think Arc V is still good, it just doesn't have the same must-watch feel that made me marathon the first 40 or so episodes
also at this point i've totally forgot anything cool that had to do with Yuya's Don't Lose Your Way moment

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Pipe down and Buy Raidraptors, you two.

Never. Birds are dumb. :argh:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jeez man at least consider the medium.
This is actually good/normal pace for shonen anime. Its foolish to expect Yugioh, the card game selling anime, to subvert things that are common practice for Shonen Anime.
Its pretty much common practice for arcs to be ~40-50 episodes long.

iirc this might be related/due to how timeslots on Japanese TV are handled and sold.

Huh. I heard some shounen only run for about 26 episodes. And something happens in each episode which pertains to the main plot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Slur posted:

Huh. I heard some shounen only run for about 26 episodes. And something happens in each episode which pertains to the main plot.

Yes and they typically aren't selling a card game.

Alternatively: Which series of yugioh since Konami's Game has been this exactly?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this would be solved if we just went back to the gx format where filler episodes kicked rear end

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i was specific about choosing the word "great" in my previous post, because i do think Arc V is still good, it just doesn't have the same must-watch feel that made me marathon the first 40 or so episodes
also at this point i've totally forgot anything cool that had to do with Yuya's Don't Lose Your Way moment

Eh, the poor pacing and stuff was around in the early episodes as well, particularly through the qualification duels arc. I suppose it just wasn't as jarring since the show was going really fast through the last few episodes of the battle royale and then it just slowed to a crawl entirely once the Lancers got to Synchro. Prison arc is still probably the worst bit of pacing the shows had though, as it turned out to be a rather pointless 3.5 episodes with the only really noteworthy thing being Chojiro's introduction. The show really could have gone straight from Security captures the lancers to the introduction of not-Yliaster and meeting up with Reiji, and I don't think it would've lost anything from it.

Also, I still like Yuya's refinding his motivation moment because although the duel itself was pretty meh, Yoko got to be hella rad and the backstory on Yuya's parents and the little we got on Shuzou was cool. Also, Smile World was hilarious and it provided a nice bit of levity and cheerfulness from the kind of dark and serious tone that was the latter half of the battle royale. What with everyone getting carded and Yuya having Satan inside of him and everything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The pacing is fine for a 150 episode series, we've always had clear objectives to get to even if at times it got slow to reach them.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The pacing is fine for a 150 episode series, we've always had clear objectives to get to even if at times it got slow to reach them.

The problem is that if you're going to make a 150 episode series, then each episode should count. If you're desperately trying to pad out your series for 150 episodes, maybe the series shouldn't have been 150 episodes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which isn't something you can exactly criticise the writers for because no way in hell would a little thing like "we don't think we can get the pacing right, there's going to be some padding" stop it from being 150 episodes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Slur posted:

The problem is that if you're going to make a 150 episode series, then each episode should count. If you're desperately trying to pad out your series for 150 episodes, maybe the series shouldn't have been 150 episodes.

:lol: do you have any clue how difficult it is to write a story with a three-year arc while also structuring it around the three-month release cycle of a major worldwide card game?

Would you prefer we go back to hours and hours of absolutely inane filler like Zexal and latter 5D's where the plot doesn't show up, literally for months at a time and we're getting garbage like Crashtown specifically just to shill cards?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Latter 5ds, funny way to spell 'all of GX'.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Give GX its proper credit, it actually got really focused and really good in the last year or so.

But, yeah, I still haven't even touched the Society of Light arc except for the very end. gently caress that.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

VJeff posted:

:lol: do you have any clue how difficult it is to write a story with a three-year arc while also structuring it around the three-month release cycle of a major worldwide card game?

Would you prefer we go back to hours and hours of absolutely inane filler like Zexal and latter 5D's where the plot doesn't show up, literally for months at a time and we're getting garbage like Crashtown specifically just to shill cards?

The point is that no show which has an overarching story should be 150 episodes. The synchro arc and the qualifier arc are definitely that garbage you speak of.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Slur posted:

You are giging too much weight to tbe artistic integrity of a sunday morning cartoon a card game company produced to sell cards to seven year olds.

This "padding out" has all been building up the current setting and getting out interactions of our protagonists, that is fairly important and buys time till konami finishes cards the show needs to shill in order to actually use a character. Jack duels next episode because his cards are ready to be sold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Your positions regarding pretty much every part of this franchise are starting to border on the hilariously indefensible, to the point where I'm wondering if you're not being purposely disingenuous.

Like, if you're seriously saying the prison arc being a little too drawn out is equivalent to something like Crashtown, then that's just plain ridiculous. Come on.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VJeff posted:

Crashtown ruled, what the gently caress.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Crash Town actually sucked except for One Turn Three Kill and the Classy rear end. But it was entirely redeemed in that ending shot where they panned over to the sign of Satisfaction Town.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

VJeff posted:

Give GX its proper credit, it actually got really focused and really good in the last year or so.

But, yeah, I still haven't even touched the Society of Light arc except for the very end. gently caress that.

the first 104 episodes of yugioh gx are the best this series has ever been

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
completely unironically

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

No arguments from me there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I could see an argument for the first, I dunno, 26 episodes of GX. Laser-focused on a complete lack of focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Strange Quark posted:

Crashtown ruled, what the gently caress.

Unless you're a fan of Jack or Aki or literally anybody besides Yusei, who had become boring as gently caress by that point, or Kiryu, who shoulda stayed dead.

alcharagia posted:

the first 104 episodes of yugioh gx are the best this series has ever been

Does not compute.