Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Why are they booing Root

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Century for Little "Joe" Root!

I wonder what the odds of him having a catch dropped off him were? After the NZ series you'd be a fool not to have a little flutter.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lionel Richie posted:

Why are they booing Root
I wonder if it's the English crowd doing it or if they accidentally let some bogans into the ground.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lionel Richie posted:

Why are they booing Root

I was saying Roo-urns

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

From what I can gather from the Sky commentators they are chanting "Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot".

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
TMS says that yes, they are saying roooooot.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Did Beefy just say watching Watto warm up makes you feel good?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yep - in that it makes a 100 year old Botham feel fit and sprightly watching Watto struggle through his warm ups :)

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I typed "Root" into youtube to see if there were any songs that could be used for him and I found this slightly problematic one with what appears to be Keith Lemon on the fiddle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5h4PFBuzvw

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
England are swinging the bat time to bring on :siren:Watson:siren:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Why do English people on commentary like Swann, Boycott etc love Watson so much? Talking about what a fine bowler he is with his lines and lengths and so on

Is it a ruse because the selectors are listening, and so keep picking him?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It's a great sign when Warner is bowling

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Negligent posted:

Why do English people on commentary like Swann, Boycott etc love Watson so much? Talking about what a fine bowler he is with his lines and lengths and so on

Is it a ruse because the selectors are listening, and so keep picking him?

They just want to see more of those delicious warmups

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Watson looks so unhappy when bowling

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cracking innings by root

DON RAPER
Jan 1, 2011

Let me ask you something
what do women want?
when are they going to make root captain and ruin him?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Collapse must now be on.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

DON RAPER posted:

when are they going to make root captain and ruin him?

Day 3 is my bet

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Root for Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Ali double century incoming

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Starc is really good at bowling well for a little bit then immediately becoming poo poo again

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Just woke up as stumps was called. Close game probably leaning England because they have the runs. I was expecting a disaster tbh. Like edgbaston 05 type of thing. While its not great it could be worse.

I assume there is a reason Clarke didn't bowl Starc at the end because he can be quite good at bowling lower order batsman.

Still we chucked away a great position with an awful drop and some rather insane bowling to Root.

I'd be much less cheerful if we hadn't got Buttler out at end though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

It's a weird one, when Australia bats we're going to have a really mercurial bowling line-up against a really mercurial batting line-up. Australia could end up with 200* or 600 or anywhere in between.

* if England did look like bowling Australia out for less than 200 we'd probably get a "gently caress you 70" from Haddin.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Just woke up. England sure did tailor-make a corpse of a pitch to screw up Johnson, I hope this doesn't happen all series, it's so loving boring.

gently caress, I miss Harris. Haze did alright, the two of them bowling in tandem would have been a good tactic here. Perversely, picking Siddle over Johnson probably would've worked out better, of course it was never going to happen.

Paul.Power posted:

It's a weird one, when Australia bats we're going to have a really mercurial bowling line-up against a really mercurial batting line-up. Australia could end up with 200* or 600 or anywhere in between.

* if England did look like bowling Australia out for less than 200 we'd probably get a "gently caress you 70" from Haddin.

Yeah, it pretty much hinges on how controlling Anderson can be, and if the batting lineup doesn't have another brain explosion against a spinner. Wood will probably hate the slow pitch.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The lads did alright to cover for the shitshow of the top order again.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's hilarious how much they're being propped up by Root. Ronald can't be going on much longer like this surely.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
If The Duke does get dropped and they bring Bairstow in, where does he go in the line-up? Slot in at 5 and Ballance and Root shoot up the order?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That scenario would be Root to 4 and Bairstow 5

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Coucho Marx posted:

Yeah, it pretty much hinges on how controlling Anderson can be, and if the batting lineup doesn't have another brain explosion against a spinner. Wood will probably hate the slow pitch.
I think Wood might be okay (or as okay as it's possible to be) on this wicket, he bowls a fuller length than the Aussie quicks. What I am expecting is a lot of dopey unthreatening "bouncers" from Broad and probably Stokes, which will get carted.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

That scenario would be Root to 4 and Bairstow 5

for some reason I had Ballance and Bell's position's confused, which as I've been watching all day is poor form

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Been away and travelling all day. Apparently Root's still got luck reserves to spare and Ballance has decided to score more runs in this match than we were expecting him to get in the series. The gently caress is up with that?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dead Goon posted:

From what I can gather from the Sky commentators they are chanting "Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot".
Yeah, it came about like this:
  • American golf fans start chanting "Boooo" when cheering for Boo Weekley
  • Someone then gets the bright idea to start chanting "Luuuuke" for Luke Donald
  • European golf fans pick up the idea during a Ryder Cup and also start chanting "Luuuuke" for Luke Donald
  • Some European golf fans are also England cricket fans, and they start chanting "Roooot" for Joe Root

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's like the honking of distant geese.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

• European golf fans pick up the idea during a Ryder Cup and also start chanting "Luuuuke" for Luke Donald
  • Some European golf fans are also England cricket fans, and they start chanting "Roooot" for Joe Root

or when Man United fans used to chant "Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud" when Ruud van Nistelrooy (what a player) scored

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
7-345 isn't bad but Aussies really did play badly. The pitch might be hosed but it looks like Bad Johnson is back.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I didn't see his last spell but he had a decent spell where he was at Ballance and Ballance did well not to get out. His first spell was bad though.

All three of the quicks could have bowled better tbh. Starc is a mystery because he will have a spell where he is unplayable but then back that up by bowling like a garbage man.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Watson was also disappointing, he's supposed to be in the team specifically to keep it tight but he was spraying it everywhere as well

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I hope Watson's on his last chance. If he does nothing in this test, and especially if Australia lose, he will be dropped for MMarsh.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
When is Lyon going to do the necessary and unleash jeff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Paul.Power posted:

It's a pretty common thing, Sydney Swans fans were doing this 20 years ago when Paul Roos was playing.

I'd give the first day to England overall, Australia just didn't bowl tightly enough and every time they built up some pressure there'd be a wild ball tucked away and everything evaporated. Still laughing at Healy's "Australia should review this, they need a Root" comment.

400 feels like a pretty decent score batting first on this pitch, though it'll be interesting to see how Warner/Smith etc fare by lunchtime tomorrow.