Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... Though it is marred a little bit by that face.

:froggonk:

E: I can't help but be amused at Boba Fett all "Well if you're not gonna talk to me I'm going to my room :mad:"

:stonk: What the gently caress is Luke wailing on there? That artist was super good at drawing helmets and hooded faced people not so much on people faces. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Gonna hazard a guess that that's the colorist's fault

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Either way that face looks like someone has a force choke on his balls.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Gonna hazard a guess that that's the colorist's fault

Eh, even then why choose that pose to reflect Luke's wailing on Vader? Arms raised above the head about to come down with the saber conveys "wrath" much better and you can frame the facial expression more center with the panel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Most theaters weren't digital at all back then.

This was also in Puerto Rico so we didn't really had anything fancy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

The cybernetics the Emperor had his people install on Vader were deliberately designed to hamper Vader's ability to use the Force, enough that it would be difficult for Vader to turn against the Emperor but still leaving him strong enough to be useful as the Emperor's enforcer.

I hope this was thrown out because it means Vader was too dumb to go find another cyberneticist to see if he could get lighter limbs. It's not like they're particularly uncommon considering the Rebels had one in their flotilla to make Luke a new hand.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Endless Mike posted:

I hope this was thrown out because it means Vader was too dumb to go find another cyberneticist to see if he could get lighter limbs. It's not like they're particularly uncommon considering the Rebels had one in their flotilla to make Luke a new hand.

Here's how that would go: Vader shows up, says "take a look at my robo-bits", the mechanic opens him up, and etched into the metal is "change anything and you'll regret it - xoxo The Emperor".

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Weren't the entire Tatooine and podracing scenes supposed to be a heads up that Annie was really good with machines? Shouldn't he be able to do it himself?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That's why he wanted C3P0 back so much. He could give a flip about the deathstar plans, he wanted to steal that droid's hands.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pierson posted:

There's more pathos in those pages than in pretty much everything T3-onward. :unsmith:

This is barely on-topic but I still kind of want to bitch about the Terminator franchise: I have a huge problem with how T3 and Genisys both add newer, even more advanced Terminators to raise the stakes. T2 made it pretty clear that Skynet was hesitant to use the T-1000 because it wasn't sure it could control it, and sending it back was a desperate move after the first one failed. Besides the complete lack of originality of doing the same thing again and again with ever more complicated robots, those more complicated robots shouldn't even exist.

The third Terminator movie, if you had to make another Terminator movie and ruin the ending of 2, should have been Salvation but not lovely, a film about the future war. Instead we got 3 nonsensical pieces of poo poo and now there's more bad Terminator movies than there are good ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Here's how that would go: Vader shows up, says "take a look at my robo-bits", the mechanic opens him up, and etched into the metal is "change anything and you'll regret it - xoxo The Emperor".

"Don't do what I ask and you'll regret it immediately" - Vader.

No, it's dumb.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

"Don't do what I ask and you'll regret it immediately" - Vader.

No, it's dumb.

Well it's not like Vader would have thought or assumed that the Emperor was lying to him about the quality of the cybernetics.
Like even going by those scans Vader would have accepted what the Emperor said as gospel about Padme dying.
It's only at this point that (post episode IV) that Vader would have even thought of the idea that the cybernetics were faulty.

As for replacements, Luke only lost a hand. Vader was more machine then man, which effects his force sensitivity.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Weren't the suit, limbs, and respirator also a source of constant pain and frustration, fueling his power in the Dark side?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tribbledirigible posted:

Weren't the suit, limbs, and respirator also a source of constant pain and frustration, fueling his power in the Dark side?

If you hadn't been able to beat off for twenty years you'd turn to the Dark Side as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The difference is that short of searching the galaxy for Padme, he can't really verify either way. (Granted, he could send spies or whatever, but she died, so they wouldn't find anything other than that.) With his cybernetics, he should definitely be able to tell that they're hampering his abilities and why wouldn't he make an effort to see if he can get better ones? He should also be entirely aware that the size of the Force user has no bearing on his/her/its power, so I'd think he'd figure something was amiss pretty quickly. Sorry, it's dumb and bad, handwavy writing if it's even something that was written.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The entire expanded universe was full of dumb, bad handwavy writing, and I really hope they don't bring any of it back.

E: I seriously never want to see these motherfuckers back.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read very little of it, and I'm quite happy to keep it that way, though I rather enjoy the stuff Marvel is putting out (art could be better).

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
So long as Kevin J Anderson's poo poo gets thrown out forever, that's the most important part.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I read very little of it, and I'm quite happy to keep it that way, though I rather enjoy the stuff Marvel is putting out (art could be better).

The list of old expanded universe stuff I enjoy is as follows:

Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Legacy
Old 1970s Marvel Comics

And that's it. That's less than 1% of it.

And yeah, the art on Darth Vader is pretty awful.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Don't forget the X-Wing books. Those were great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Old 1970s Marvel Comics
I really need to read these.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

That's what Marvel Unlimited is for!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My reading backlog is so big right now that buying in just doesn't seem worth it for awhile.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rhyno posted:

Vader, slowly walking towards you and huge chunks of the hallway start tearing loose and flight right up in your face, that's how the force should look.

If you want some menacing Vader, Star Wars Rebels season 2 is the show for you.

Edit: only one ep into the second season though so they could still gently caress it up.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Star Wars Legacy
Old 1970s Marvel Comics

No love for Soul Calibur 4?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gavok posted:

Masters of Teras Kasi should be the only SW fighter worth mentioning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

Don't forget the X-Wing books. Those were great.

I disagree, but I do enjoy the Rogue Squadron/Leader games, if they have enough plot to count.

Endless Mike posted:

They're great. I personally have been curious about the Star Wars newspaper comic, as well.

Gavok posted:

Starkiller, better you than me! Starkiller, gently caress Sith brutality! Starkiller, I know Palpatine's grieving (gently caress him!), Starkiller, but tonight we get even!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Endless Mike posted:

I was about nine when Star Wars came out so I devoured anything related to it, including the comics. This early in the game the writers and artists didn't yet understand that the character design of Star Wars was a big change from old fashioned stuff like Flash Gordon so they filled the pages with goofy looking aliens and traditional fantasy/sci-fi bullshit. That rabbit character...god that was awful.

I recall one character, a bounty hunter that I think was a cyborg (unless I'm mixing him up with someone else) and his story was pretty grim. He came to a bad end that was well done but didn't mesh at all with how dumb the writing usually was. Definitely could've used more of that.

There was a slew of terrible Star Wars inspired stuff in that early period and it was uniformly bad. At least there were some good artists involved though, like Howard Chaykin and Walt Simonson.

EDIT: The newspaper comic was pretty flaccid but looked and felt more like part of the Star Wars universe, probably thanks to Russ Manning. He was capable of some pretty trippy stuff though, like one of my favorite childhood comics: Magnus, Robot Fighter!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 8, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Isn't there at least one comic, published pre-ROTJ, were Luke and Leia hook up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e X posted:

Isn't there at least one comic, published pre-ROTJ, were Luke and Leia hook up?
The novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye does that, and it was written pre-Empire and would have been the official sequel to Star Wars had it bombed in theaters. It's possible there was a comic adaptation of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

If you want some menacing Vader, Star Wars Rebels season 2 is the show for you.

Edit: only one ep into the second season though so they could still gently caress it up.

I'm gonna post a link to a youtube video over in the Star Wars comics thread, since this is no longer touching or inspiring.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Endless Mike posted:

The novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye does that, and it was written pre-Empire and would have been the official sequel to Star Wars had it bombed in theaters. It's possible there was a comic adaptation of it.

I don't think they hooked up in that, though there was some tension between them.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lurdiak posted:

Star Wars Legacy
Old 1970s Marvel Comics

And yeah, the art on Darth Vader is pretty awful.

I was always a fan of the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Admittedly, I've never read it (I don't think "admission" is the right term here), and only know of it through hearsay, so you're probably right.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Yeah, I really want Thrawn back. Thrawn: The Only Competent Imperial.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hmm yes by looking at this Corellian clay pot I can immediately tell that the Corellians favor defending the starboard side of their fleets and also enjoy sprinkling Mon Calamari sea salt on their Bothawui burgers

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Hmm yes by looking at this Corellian clay pot I can immediately tell that the Corellians favor defending the starboard side of their fleets and also enjoy sprinkling Mon Calamari sea salt on their Bothawui burgers

Looking at Google's Deep Dream, it really does look like art is very closely linked to visual/spacial neural network setups, so that's one of the more plausible bits.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

How can you tell a Bothawui burger from a normal one? Is it seasoned with backroom deals and realpolitik?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

cultureulterior posted:

Looking at Google's Deep Dream, it really does look like art is very closely linked to visual/spacial neural network setups, so that's one of the more plausible bits.

In a very anthropological, roundabout way, of course. All art is representative of the culture that produced it. But that doesn't mean that I can deduct military doctrine from Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lurdiak posted:

The entire expanded universe was full of dumb, bad handwavy writing, and I really hope they don't bring any of it back.

E: I seriously never want to see these motherfuckers back.

One good thing about those assholes, they did give us the story of :black101:Ganner Rhysode:black101: Any Star Wars story where a Jedi kicks so much rear end that the dudes whose asses he was kicking immortalize him in their mythology as a guardian of the door to the land of the dead, wielding an eternally-blazing sword of light, is a good story.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2015