Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
So this is my first fiesta and I'm an idiot. I'm doing chaos and I got black mage for my first job. Does this mean I can have four black mages, or one and three freelancers?

Dazh fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NGDBSS posted:

How'd the Omega kill work? Pray he doesn't use Encircle as a counterattack, and heal through everything else?
Yep. Thundaga spellblade chicken knife(actually may have been better to just use Enhancer, I think they both would have done 9999 damage) was the only thing I attacked with, to kill it in 6 hits and not have many counterattacks. Mystic Knight and the white mage had +30% HP, and the monk/summoner were also on healing duty.

Dazh posted:

So this is my first fiesta and I'm an idiot. I'm doing chaos and I got black mage for my first job. Does this mean I can have four black mages, or one and three freelancers?
The former. You actually are not allowed to have freelancers once you can have black mages. Once you get one more job it can be any combination of black mages+[new job]s, 3 jobs you have to have one of each and then a duplicate of whatever you want, and once you're able to have all four you naturally need one of each at all times.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

The former. You actually are not allowed to have freelancers once you can have black mages. Once you get one more job it can be any combination of black mages+[new job]s, 3 jobs you have to have one of each and then a duplicate of whatever you want, and once you're able to have all four you naturally need one of each at all times.

To expand on this, if you were to get a second of any job, you must have two in that party. So the steps would be something like:
Black Mage/x/x/x -> 4 Black Mages in your party
Black Mage/Chemist/x/x -> at least one black mage, at least one chemist (so 3/1, 2/2, or 1/3 all valid)
Black Mage/Chemist/Black Mage/x -> at least two black mages, at least one chemist (so 2/2 or 3/1 valid)
Black Mage/Chemist/Black Mage/Dancer -> must have exactly two black mages, one chemist, one dancer

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

11th run down. Killed them all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wind job red mage, water job red mage. Cooooool

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

IronicDongz posted:

Wind job red mage, water job red mage. Cooooool
Welcome to the hell that was my first fiesta run (until I got Chemist at the Earth Crystal)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Run No. 2's been a welcome reprieve from what I had to deal with the first go-around.

White Mage, Mystic Knight, and now a Ranger. Time to go after that fourth job.

oxidation
May 22, 2011
First ever Fiesta run down. Struggled with NED at level 32, so I decided to just grind 10 levels in the sea trench to make it not so painful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've so far been really enjoying my Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai run. I peeked at my jobs early, but I'm not at the Earth Crystal just yet. So far it's been a lot faster than Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon was, I think in part due to the sheer offensive power. I'm lacking in healing, though, so I'll be grinding for some flame rings before World 1 is over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mustard Iceman posted:

Welcome to the hell that was my first fiesta run (until I got Chemist at the Earth Crystal)
unfortunately my next is dragoon

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Leofish posted:

I've so far been really enjoying my Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai run. I peeked at my jobs early, but I'm not at the Earth Crystal just yet. So far it's been a lot faster than Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon was, I think in part due to the sheer offensive power. I'm lacking in healing, though, so I'll be grinding for some flame rings before World 1 is over.

With your setup, you don't really need any Flame Rings. You have enough offensive potential that Hi Potions will easily carry you through World 2. Just don't forget to bring along one or two Death Sickles, and you'll be fine.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Since I've already completed my fiesta run I kinda want to do another unofficial one. Is there a save state editor for FFV Advance? I've grown tired of completing the first half of the game and just want to start with all the crystals unlocked and 0 ability points.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You want the fiesta mod from the OP which will set you up; you can also sign up for another fiesta, the mod is legal.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

neongrey posted:

You want the fiesta mod from the OP which will set you up; you can also sign up for another fiesta, the mod is legal.

yeah, i'm using it for my second run and its nice being able to just have all my classes right away. it does gently caress up a lot of the early fights in terms of them being super easy though! which is fine, because you can rocket through world 1 in a few hours.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Samuel Clemens posted:

With your setup, you don't really need any Flame Rings. You have enough offensive potential that Hi Potions will easily carry you through World 2. Just don't forget to bring along one or two Death Sickles, and you'll be fine.

I've got one Death Sickle already, and it wasn't too long a wait. I wasn't really planning on getting a second one, but I guess I could put Equip Axes on the Samurai if I needed more instant-death potential.

oxidation
May 22, 2011

hubris.height posted:

yeah, i'm using it for my second run and its nice being able to just have all my classes right away. it does gently caress up a lot of the early fights in terms of them being super easy though! which is fine, because you can rocket through world 1 in a few hours.

Are you still using the crystal mechanic to unlock classes (IE you can't use your fire-assigned job until you actually get to the fire crystal), or are you just straight up using all 4 classes right at level 1?

I'm definitely going to do a second run with the fiesta mod, and do a Chaos run this time instead of a normal run.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
naw, that defeats the point of using the mod. to play it that way you can just play normally. the mod doesn't really offer much outside of immediate class unlocks, except a few balance changes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hubris.height posted:

naw, that defeats the point of using the mod. to play it that way you can just play normally. the mod doesn't really offer much outside of immediate class unlocks, except a few balance changes.

Actually it has zero balance changes.

Can of Worms' actual balance change mod A) doesn't have the classes unlocked early and B) is actually a dramatic overhaul of the game, in that it makes Geomancer somehow the best job in the game. :psyduck:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

B) is actually a dramatic overhaul of the game, in that it makes Geomancer somehow the best job in the game. :psyduck:

I thought you said it was an overhaul :smugdog:

Does a broken rod's damage depend on the breaker's magic power?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

Does a broken rod's damage depend on the breaker's magic power?

Yup. It is, in all ways, effectively like you cast that -aga yourself.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
hm, when i read the notes of the modded version, it said it did a few things with specific skills, like !sing bestowing the bards magic to the character, which it didn't do previously?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Killing bosses with 4 WHM is slooooooow. I really hope I get something with offense from the water crystal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. It is, in all ways, effectively like you cast that -aga yourself.

Not all ways, a broken rod triggers rugwizard's reset. Finding that out at the top of the tower when rods were my main plan of attack was nice and fun. :suicide:

E: VVVV Give the ninja mix, or with haste you should be able to use only two sing lockers, and buff up until you do damage.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

What's the best way to do Omega with Summoner/Ninja/Bard/Chemist? I was thinking have everyone but the Ninja do Romeo's Ballad, but how do I get through Omega's ridiculous defenses?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Tortolia posted:

Killing bosses with 4 WHM is slooooooow. I really hope I get something with offense from the water crystal.

Water crystal jobs are pretty good about offense. The least offensive job is Time Mage, who can still break rods.

Unless you're doing a Chaos run, in which case, good luck. :v:

Soup du Jour posted:

What's the best way to do Omega with Summoner/Ninja/Bard/Chemist? I was thinking have everyone but the Ninja do Romeo's Ballad, but how do I get through Omega's ridiculous defenses?

Have two !Singers, one singing Speed Song and the other using Romeo's Ballad. That'll free up someone to !Mix a Turtle Shell and Antidote onto Omega to chop his defense in half. You could probably have your attacker temporarily join in on the Romeo's Ballading, too, to keep him locked down while you get sped up and cut his defenses down to more manageable levels.

Comedy option: !Summon Ramuh, like, eight billion times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Soup du Jour posted:

Thunder Scrolls. :v: Since he's weak to Thunder, they'll do 2x attack power and ignore defense. Even with piss-poor Ninja magic, you're still looking at 240 * 17 = 4080 damage a scroll, assuming you boost your Ninja to level 255.

Hell, throw in the Elemental Power mix as well and that jumps to 360 * 17 = 6120 damage a scroll.

E: poo poo, didn't even see you had a Summoner. Slap !Throw on the Summoner and mix them to level 255 and get 360 * 60 =9999 (21600) damage a pop.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Edward_Tohr posted:

Water crystal jobs are pretty good about offense. The least offensive job is Time Mage, who can still break rods.

Unless you're doing a Chaos run, in which case, good luck. :v:

Random run, so potentially possible but unlikely. I didn't want to back to back Chaos due to the apparent fire/earth job skew.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

IronicDongz posted:

unfortunately my next is dragoon

On the plus side, that means a 1 in 3 chance for a Chemist at Earth Crystal (also 1 in 3 for Dancer and another Dragoon).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's really weird how the berserker's innate berserk ability messes with your speed, when the berserk ability you can equip on other classes doesn't seem to have that problem.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I got suggested by a friend to play a text-hacked 'Tzepish' version of the SNES FFV as "it's funny," which was a terrible lie, but I got too far into my run to want to restart on a non-fucktarded version. It only seems to change text, not any of the game itself; is this a valid version to use for the Fiesta, or need I man up and restart?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

erazure posted:

I got suggested by a friend to play a text-hacked 'Tzepish' version of the SNES FFV as "it's funny," which was a terrible lie, but I got too far into my run to want to restart on a non-fucktarded version. It only seems to change text, not any of the game itself; is this a valid version to use for the Fiesta, or need I man up and restart?

If it's just a text hack, you should be able to use the savegame with the normal fan-translation. Just rename your .srm from the hack to have the same name as your usual FF5 rom.

Otherwise, I don't think it'll matter too much. RK accepts victory tweets where Neo Exdeath is a giant cactuar, so even if he has a stupid name it shouldn't be a problem.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wow, looks like I'm Red Mage/Red Mage/Dragoon/Dragoon this time. Symmetrical-rear end run

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

IronicDongz posted:

Wow, looks like I'm Red Mage/Red Mage/Dragoon/Dragoon this time. Symmetrical-rear end run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyNOg4jSRg&t=63s

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lol

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Why is Sol Cannon immune to !terrain :argh:

I still won on the first try, but just barely, with three dead party members and using up twelve rods.

And now I have zero Phoenix Downs going forward :negative:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Mikl posted:

Why is Sol Cannon immune to !terrain :argh:

I still won on the first try, but just barely, with three dead party members and using up twelve rods.

And now I have zero Phoenix Downs going forward :negative:

Technically, it's just immune to wind.

So if you have a summoner and hack yourself Syldra for world 1, it'll be immune to that, too! :pseudo:

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Tortolia posted:

And gilgabot announces your next job is berserker as the finger on the monkey' paw curls.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bard/Bard/Samurai/Dancer, Run 10, Triple Crown 9 (O, S, N)

I'm not sure how to define this run - exasperation, inevitability, or the slowest burn in history. Bards with Equip Ribbons are terrifyingly durable, and if I'd actually gained more levels than I did (though it took seven loving levels for my Reflect Rings), I might have actually been able to tank a hit from tree Exdeath - he was only hitting for like 10-15 more HP than Krile had.

Also, 3 Ribbons + the Aegis = White Hole does gently caress all. :haw:

Hylianbunny
Dec 31, 2007

TG: oh ok time travels involved
TG: thats all you needed to say everythings cool and under control then

Well, that was a thing that happened.

Thief and Berserker weren't nearly as much of a hassle as I thought they would be, and Chemist made the entire thing cake, of course. Kind of hope that I don't get one for a future run. Rapid Fire and Chicken Knife pretty much carried me through all of world 3. Wasn't really going to do the triple crown, but with a Chemist there wasn't really a good excuse not to, was there? Shinryu was the toughest part until I remembered to blind him and then he toppled.

Just need the victory tweets to be witnessed and then looking forward to run two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

E: poo poo, didn't even see you had a Summoner. Slap !Throw on the Summoner and mix them to level 255 and get 360 * 60 =9999 (21600) damage a pop.

Doesn't level cap at 99 for the purpose of damage calculation, at least in the GBA version? I remember Hero Cocktails eventually no longer affecting my damage even though I wasn't level 255 yet.

Not that it really matters, since Omega can't fight back anyway.

• Locked thread