Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Well, I reactivated for my 7 days. Have a 49.5 Skald and Savage, and a LGM scer on Mid. Does anyone want to do thangs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I suck. I went to reactivate and I'm not eligible.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

My best MMO experiences were with this game, Percival / Midgard. Don't remember the guild's name, but I was a proud member of Sanger's regulars (Veomoth, Warrior).

Best memory was holding off two Armsmen and an Infiltrator (maybe a Minstrel?) near one of the Albion gates. For some reason my Healer (female, started with a J, can't remember her name) and I got stuck at this gate. They ambushed her, I slapped Guard on her and held all three off long enough for the rest of the crowd to come in and pick us up. Man that was an awesome time.

Edit: Just remembered the guild name, Vengeance of Valhalla. Great times.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

Well, I reactivated for my 7 days. Have a 49.5 Skald and Savage, and a LGM scer on Mid. Does anyone want to do thangs?

What's your name(s) on mid CV?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

What's your name(s) on mid CV?

Skald is Obloid. No idea about the savage, it's a friend's account. If you want to set a time to dick around in CV, I'll be there.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm on Akshun right now, a zerk I'm working toward molvik

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looking for advice on how to find a couple friends old accounts. They refuse to play again without their old characters. I don't blame them. Neither can remember the email or password they used back in the day. Am I correct in assuming they're going to have to call Mythic with specific character names and possibly gear? And then tie that account to their EA account?

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Kazvall posted:

Looking for advice on how to find a couple friends old accounts. They refuse to play again without their old characters. I don't blame them. Neither can remember the email or password they used back in the day. Am I correct in assuming they're going to have to call Mythic with specific character names and possibly gear? And then tie that account to their EA account?

I got a few old school rr11 accounts back for mates. Account name, real life name, character name and basic details on when the account was last active was all they wanted. That was with origin support or whatever, no idea what the new people will want.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shux posted:

I got a few old school rr11 accounts back for mates. Account name, real life name, character name and basic details on when the account was last active was all they wanted. That was with origin support or whatever, no idea what the new people will want.

Was able to figure out one friends old account name and password only to log in to find no characters on his account under any of the archived servers. Not sure why but now I feel bad making him activate for nothing. Unless his chars are somehow hidden.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I had that happen to one of my accounts. I called Mythic support and they said my account was somehow corrupted, but all they needed to do was restore an archived copy. I hadn't played the account in so long that I wouldn't even be rolled back. I think it took them about 4-5 business to get it restored, but after that everything worked fine. For reference, it was an account that hadn't been logged into since around 2006, before the merged clusters.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I had that happen to one of my accounts. I called Mythic support and they said my account was somehow corrupted, but all they needed to do was restore an archived copy. I hadn't played the account in so long that I wouldn't even be rolled back. I think it took them about 4-5 business to get it restored, but after that everything worked fine. For reference, it was an account that hadn't been logged into since around 2006, before the merged clusters.

This gives me hope!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Alb/Percival back in the day.

I've mostly all alb toons with some hibs in there somewhere. I'm on alb once or twice a week to see if anything is going on, usually under Gnusong my mini.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Twlight posted:

Alb/Percival back in the day.

Gnusong my mini.

Blast from the past. Those rp servers sure were something.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I played a cleric on Alb/Percival. Mostly just healed and buffed my friends.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I miss the PvP servers, even more since I got in on them when they were already at a dwindling ~2006 population. I wish I could have seen them at their prime.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
So are there any active goons on hib side and more specifically which server?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Couldn't find a number to call for the life of me and when I sent an email it asked me to do an in game appeal. Time to wait!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I miss the PvP servers, even more since I got in on them when they were already at a dwindling ~2006 population. I wish I could have seen them at their prime.

Here is my best shot at describing the pvp servers. Btw andred was hot for about 30 seconds then everyone went back to Mordred. On Mordred we told people to go back to andred (or carebear serverS).

So on the PvP servers you were immune to pvp until level 10. You could type a slash command to undo this if you really wanted to. And people did, it was not uncommon to see brand new naked britons or whatever auto attacking with dirks. Or the most common sight, a bunch of lowbies ganging up on a higher level player. Sometimes they would be completely wiped, remember purple is like anything +4 (earlier levels the formula was different) or whatever to you. So that lurikeen enchanter pbaoing the bind stone at prywden keep bridge might be 12 or 50. Didn't matter, lowbies ganged up and tried to take down big game.

Because the xp for getting that kill was phefuckingnominal, you could go up multiple levels at a time. I think even a few guild started that way, just greys that would camp mag mell or w/e loving with high levels. The high levels were around because it was either fun to 1 shot greys or to actually kill people. Everyone was dying all the time and it wasn't uncommon to run out of money from con repairs.

Fighting was everywhere except the main cities. And this is something i loved. Having a xp group going, while gankers would come now and then and kill you or give you even better xp. Usually disbanding afterwards to fight to the death, winner getting a shitload of xp losers going back to bindpoint. You had to be on high alert all the time. Think the area is clear? Check behind the rocks, check that siabra tent, whatever. People would exploit the poo poo out of LoS, doors, portal (gently caress portal jumping) immunity timers, horse routes, people afk at bindpoint (lol), anything.

It was amazing chaos.

Also equipment wasn't realm locked. Want to use a alb 2h pierce on a hib champ? NP, it uses your large weapons skill. Want to use (hand) scythes on a troll zerk, also not a problem.

At first there were a lot of big guilds, Torcan, legends, wings of valour, a lot of them simply zerg guilds. Sin Vida (the one i was in) started as all stealthers and we were loving assholes. Bridge camping with 10 people, taking over mag mell. Hunting groups in cursed forest etc.

8 mans became a thing about the time they did on pve, and a lot of guilds formed around that.

Sometimes a pve raid would be attempted to hillarious results. Either it would get crashed, or the leader would steal everything. Just another day p much.

Classes that were assholes on mordred
Bonedancers - could p much kill anything within 15 levels of them.
Pet classes - pets would follow forever
Spreadhealers - for a time you could spread heal a group under portal immunity timer, so a group or two would camp drumen ligen etc, the healer would keep porting between DL and DC and spread healing. Or they would just die and spread heal during that. Completely immune to damage/interrupts.
Any solo capable class could be nasty, friars would wreck your poo poo.
Onetime a friend and I rolled kobold shamans, joined shadowclan, and got a bunch of hate tells. Pbaoe disease, dots, chainmain, heals, just nasty.

TBH i kind of want a game like it now but i'm not sure I could handle it without a lot of free time. If it was open world pvp only or minimal pve maybe. Smite or another moba scratches the itch sometimes.

But its nothing quite like open world pvp.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I, too, greatly miss Mordred and all the fantastic action/memories it inspired.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Here's my Mordred story:

It's 2003 and I'm already aware of the server's ruthless reputation towards newbies, but by now I'm a grizzled vet of the game: I can handle anything. I decide to forgo playing a decent solo class, so I'm sure that a mana ment will be great for this server. My thought is that I'll just hide on top of and behind things and dot people as they run by and just collect free xp. The first 10 levels move by pretty quickly, I spent most of my time outside of Mag Mell and Ardee just baseline nuking greens and blues. As soon as I hit 11, I head off for DF since I heard that there are some really sweet xp groups there. Nope, the place is empty, and a orange con blademaster or some poo poo kills me at the stairs. I quickly release back home and decide to head south to Howth. Nope, a trio of lurikeens is at the blackwoods and run me down as soon as I reach clip distance. So alright gently caress it, I'll go behind MM and shoot loughrie men in the trees. Nope, some guy has hidden his buffbot back there... and kills me with it. I finally decide to ask in chat if there are any 10-15 xp groups, and a response says to come to CM for a lowbie PL group. Ignoring better judgement, I start hoofing it at 2003-era run speed, again avoiding the buffbot behind MM. I come over the crest and see the entrance to the mines up ahead, but at the bottom of the hill is some purple con Highlander running straight at me with a lute in hand. I start sprinting towards the cave, and zone in JUST as I'm hit for nearly 75% health with a minstrel DD.

I zone into Coruscating Mines to see my group waiting for me. They have a warden, an enchanter, a druid, and a elf champion. This is going to be some sweet xp, plus we'll probably clear out the mines of any other xp groups. They'lll keep me around for my sweet mana regen and aggro-less hots. I've got it made here, I'm going to get established on Mordred! loving nope, as soon as I take a step the champ runs up and shield slams me and the chanter pbae's me down in one hit. They then head off down into the mines for xp. It was absolutely brilliant.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

There is a non zero chance that higherlander minstrel was me.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
rvr is hopping this weekend, and they've got some weekend bonuses happening as well. cmon enjoy live!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

They found my friend's account. I think you guys will be seeing me soon. :)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

madpanda posted:

Onetime a friend and I rolled kobold shamans, joined shadowclan, and got a bunch of hate tells. Pbaoe disease, dots, chainmain, heals, just nasty.

hoowah! mih still gruk kobo blah!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Shara gib kobo tribut or kobo klomp shara flat HOOWAH!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Doctor Borris posted:

So are there any active goons on hib side and more specifically which server?

We were using the guild "Cult of Nyarlathotep" on live, so take a look for any Cult members if you're on Hib. They may not be goons, but they can help you out either way. We had been planning to resub and play already/soon, but one of our cats injured himself so we've been dealing with that. There will definitely be a return of the Waffleses, though! Especially since:

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention to the Herald, Broadsword is going to be releasing a new campaign/expansion shortly! Called the Otherworlds Campaign, patch 1.118 kicks off new PvE content with a new zone, new items with supposedly new stat cap increases, and craftable full-buff potions! Depending on the cost to make the potions, they could help replace buffbots or at least reduce the dependance on them. That is awesome.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am on and still in the Cult. Fully geared Warden with ML10 Battlemaster.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm in Cult also on most of my digital avatars.

I somehow missed the full-buff potion section of that announcement. That would be huge, the realm buffs were a good step but it still felt like having access to a buffbot was required.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So if you xfer from Mordred you get none of your gear but upon talking to the mord npc he gives you like 30 plat.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
I was on Andred and Mordred

Illuminati on Mordred RR11Lsomething
and various other alts. But I sure miss running around solo with buff's. I re-subbed a year or so back for a trial and found my char transferred, still waiting for a game to pull me in like this one did.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Dr.Hashshashin posted:

still waiting for a game to pull me in like this one did.

Won't happen. Ever again. But not just because "they don't make games like they used to"... but you (well we all) have changed too and so did our expectations.

The sad thing is that most announced "old skool MMO's" that are upcoming, also use really dated graphics. (The Repopulation looks totally awesome to me as a concept, but the animations in the alpha made me shiver).

I can tolerate DaoC's dated graphics but that is only because I'm used to them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Live isn't too bad. There's plenty of action but I still hate NF. If the new patch is alright I might resub for a bit. The problem is they KILLED DF until then. My fully geared Paladin almost died to a red mahr. I had to use IP. No one even goes there. I wish they would just make a classic server. I feel like the game was better without 100 timer/arty/etc abilities. Until Uthgard comes back(lol) this is the only way to get my sweet RvR fix. Hopefully someone will realize there might be money if they made an OF map with agramon tacked on.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

Live isn't too bad. There's plenty of action but I still hate NF. If the new patch is alright I might resub for a bit. The problem is they KILLED DF until then. My fully geared Paladin almost died to a red mahr. I had to use IP. No one even goes there. I wish they would just make a classic server. I feel like the game was better without 100 timer/arty/etc abilities. Until Uthgard comes back(lol) this is the only way to get my sweet RvR fix. Hopefully someone will realize there might be money if they made an OF map with agramon tacked on.

DF has been completely retooled and is hopping now. They've updated a bunch of items inside of DF and now are the top tier for the moment ( they are working on their first PvE updates and those will be pushed soon ). But run df a bit, people are doing prince runs again!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ah yes DF is a great place for grouping just not soloing now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My Mordred story was starting out as a berserker, which were considered a top tier damage dealer at the time, it was at about level 35 I was getting my rear end kicked despite some good gear fighting some shrouded isle wolfman boss, after dying enough I brought in my lower level aug healer to try and fight the boss and had a much easier time.
It was at that point I realized, why the hell am I leveling a pure damage dealer that gets outdamaged by my healer? I stuck with my aug healer and never looked back to the berserker, I never used a buffbot so it was perfect for me with the added bonus of feeling smug that I didn't need a buffbot to win.

I stuck with that Aug healer named Sigmestgi and I'd roam around solo and could handle every class 1vs1, with some trouble on buffboted pet classes, my favorite moments were just slapping melee classes and watching them kill themselves on my damage shield before I even got low.

Thinking back, Aug healers were just loaded with tons of stuff, they had a damage shield, damage buff, most of the buffs, resist buffs for nullifying certain casters, stun, 1 minute mes, a short AOE mes, instant heals and big casted heals and a movement speed buff that wasn't musical class tier but helped with roaming and I'm sure a bunch of other skills I've forgotten about.

Another thing I remember about DAoC were one time drops, I remember part of what made me love the aug healer so much was that you could get these 100% quality pieces of armor from killing a named tree in midgard that spawned at midnight once a game day.

They had insane stats for their level.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The 6 speed sword that was a one time drop in Mid was absolutely magical in Thid on a SB.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

The 6 speed sword that was a one time drop in Mid was absolutely magical in Thid on a SB.

http://camelot.allakhazam.com/item.html?citem=3039

It owned, one shotting everything that wasn't a twink. It was also really cool on a berserker.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I left Molvik at 1L8 and when I got to Leirvik at level 43 the bounty merchant would not sell me any gear. This is after I destroyed my Molvik armor. drat.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
I came from UO to DAOC, someday down the road there will be a next gen game that will steal our time for pure pvp.

DAOC Mordred was my favorite place..

Eve works for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm going to watch until the patch to resub. Or maybe "wait" for Uthgard. NF just lacks personality and I like the classic experience more. Buff botting is still dumb in a game designed around only certain classes having them. Give me 1000 range and no buff npcs... But it will never happen on live.

• Locked thread