Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
I'll gently caress around with the wiki while I am at work. There are a lot of dupicate pages that can be merged or redirected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, at this point a wiki revamp would require a lot of pruning of old pages as cellars the addition of new ones. There's some more current advice there, but it's mixed in with stuff from when A2B was actually good.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Ground the way I do it: 3 engis, 1 sci, sci goes all heals, engis as many turrets as you can fit and a tier 1 command or intel power. Park your team somewhere, go afk, profit.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's all vulcan death shovels and the charge skill. If that doesn't get you victory, then report it as a bug with PWE.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
From today's tribble patch

The benefit gained from [Dmg] weapon mods has been improved.
This bonus damage gained from a [Dmg] mod is now calculated after all other passive and temporary bonuses are applied, meaning it will amplify those bonuses as well.

As soon as my friend saw that he went and bought all the [dmg] mod weapons he needed off the Holodeck exchange.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Tuskin38 posted:

From today's tribble patch

The benefit gained from [Dmg] weapon mods has been improved.
This bonus damage gained from a [Dmg] mod is now calculated after all other passive and temporary bonuses are applied, meaning it will amplify those bonuses as well.

As soon as my friend saw that he went and bought all the [dmg] mod weapons he needed off the Holodeck exchange.

Uh did [DMG] just become the Best Mod?

Edit: Borticus quote from reddit:

quote:

To compare these [Dmg] changes to terminology sometimes used by players... if existing Buffs are CAT1, CAT2, etc., [Dmg] was moved to CAT-INFINITY. It applies after everything else. EVERYthing else.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahahahaha the apocalypse is upon is. :suicide:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Is DPS going to be through the roof now with 3x [Dmg]?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:laffo:

quote:

Stacking the new [Dmg] buff is going to be a little wacky. Because each applies to the end, sequentially.

In other words, having two [Dmg] mods that each add 3% damage actually means that the first is 3% and the second is 3.09%. And a third would be 3.1827%. Etc.

And...

Devian666 posted:

Is DPS going to be through the roof now with 3x [Dmg]?
Hard to say, but it's quite possible. I think each CrtD is around a... 2-2.5% boost per weapon, depending on your crit percentage?

EDIT: Bort seems hesitant about that.

Borticus posted:

As I replied to a thread on the Forums...

Based on the models and tests we ran internally with this change, it's likely that the [Dmg] mod will still not outstrip the desirability of [CrtD] for well-geared players. But these changes narrow the gap significantly. And players still struggling to get their base Crit Chance & Crit Severity rates up high enough for [CrtD] to be reliable, might end up wanting to switch to [Dmg] weapons instead.

Shouldn't be a huge game-changer. But we're still anxious to see how players adapt to the change.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 9, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I knew hoarding all my crtdx3 weapons would pay off eventually!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Pissbeams are now once again the best beams. [Ac/Dmg][Acc]x2[dmg]x2[critx], I believe?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Preechr posted:

Pissbeams are now once again the best beams. [Ac/Dmg][Acc]x2[dmg]x2[critx], I believe?

Now if only it didn't take an absolute fortune to raise a single one to epic.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Mondian posted:

I can attest to this, since I just raised one to epic. I got lucky though and it only took half a fortune. It could have gone much much worse.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Preechr posted:

Well, except that ACC is still poo poo since it doesn't work with FAW and from early tribble reports there's a non-zero chance that DMG won't either, but yeah they're back to being useful again. :v:

Mondian posted:

Yeah, for some loving reason they get the rep item 50% surcharge, so even just getting them to UR is prohibitive. :psyduck: Weapons in general cost too loving much to quality upgrade.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Well, except that ACC is still poo poo since it doesn't work with FAW

I thought they fixed that months ago?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Did they? It's quite possible I guess but I'm pretty sure the skill is still a baroque clusterfuck behind the scenes.

vvvv EDIT: Yeah that's what I thought. I recall them making some mention of fixing it then abruptly dropping it with some vague excuse that basically goes back to "we have no loving idea how this skill works and don't want to break it further".

Asimo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 9, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bloodly posted:

It hasn't been fixed because it's working as intended. FaW has innate 100% accuracy, so any extra accuracy (like from [ACC] mods) gets dropped, and doesn't turn into added damage.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Extra accuracy is supposed to be folded into crit chance and severity. It's possible that the accuracy overflow is applied only to the primary target and not the secondaries hit by the FAW.

Edit: Looking further into it, even if the acc overflow doesn't get applied in FAW the difference is only a half percent of CritH and a couple percent CritD.

There is some interesting and bizarre information that was posted about how FAW and acc work.

Jeff Hamilton posted:

Fire at will does have an autohit stage. When you activate Fire At Will, here's what happens to produce the desired end effect:

1.) You gain a "Mode" on your character that lasts for <duration>. While that mode is on your character, all Beam Array and Dual Beam Bank powers are redirected from their standard mode of fire into "Fire At Will" mode.

2.) You activate a Beam Array or DBB. It uses its Fire At Will power. This power emanates a cone in the direction of the weapon's firing arc, automatically hitting 2 targets within that cone. Any targets hit by this cone send a message back to your ship, telling it to shoot them.

3.) Your ship receives the message from all enemies struck in part 2. It then fires single shots at each and every one of them. This stage of the power rolls ToHit rolls based on your accuracy and your target's defense.

Stage 2 has to be autohit for the art to work. Stage 2 has to not be flagged as a "Directed Energy" power for power drain to not count doubly for this ability. Stage 3 has to be flagged as a "Directed Energy" power for procs to work and for power drain to work at all. The power has to be structured in this complex way for it to work the way it does - firing on random ships within the arc, updating which target it hits with each volley.
So, you can think of FAW having two segments, the auto-hit target selection portion and the segment where beams fire at those targets. During the second stage your beams can miss and acc does apply. However, the auto-hit mode may shut down overflow. This also applies to other AOE skills like CSV supposedly.

This is the latest information I found in a cursory search, but it mostly dates to last year. I have no idea if anything else has been changed.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 9, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Bloodly posted:

We should talk, I have a bridge to sell you.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
In the spirit of updating the wiki, here's how to sleep your way through all seven reputations even though STFs are dead.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

In the spirit of updating the wiki, here's how to sleep your way through all seven reputations even though STFs are dead.

Not what I asked for, but useful nonetheless. Get someone else to vouch for the validity of your info and find me in mumble to claim fabulous prizes.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mondian posted:

Not what I asked for, but useful nonetheless. Get someone else to vouch for the validity of your info and find me in mumble to claim fabulous prizes.

His stuff looks pretty legit to me.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mondian posted:

Thanks! I just finished using this method to get every rep to t5 on a newish 60, so I can confirm the info's fresh. Perhaps unsurprisingly I managed to complete Undine last of all, even behind Iconian. gently caress it's hard to muster enthusiasm to play that content.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SKY COQ posted:

The only thing I'd add is that you need to pick up the Tholian Alert daily mission from the New Romulus sector agent in the Available tab in order to get the Romulan marks from the Tholian Red Alert mission.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't know why it never occurred to me before but I'm going to change my female toons names to things like James and Robert and Bruce.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

hakimashou posted:

I don't know why it never occurred to me before but I'm going to change my female toons names to things like James and Robert and Bruce.

Ship name 'No Girls Allowed'. Set effectors to maximum dispersion.

If anybody asks, tell them you've switched genders until your GSV comes back through this region.

When they sperg, just say it's not weird because it's a post-gender society.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Extra accuracy is supposed to be folded into crit chance and severity. It's possible that the accuracy overflow is applied only to the primary target and not the secondaries hit by the FAW.

Edit: Looking further into it, even if the acc overflow doesn't get applied in FAW the difference is only a half percent of CritH and a couple percent CritD.

There is some interesting and bizarre information that was posted about how FAW and acc work.

So, you can think of FAW having two segments, the auto-hit target selection portion and the segment where beams fire at those targets. During the second stage your beams can miss and acc does apply. However, the auto-hit mode may shut down overflow. This also applies to other AOE skills like CSV supposedly.

This is the latest information I found in a cursory search, but it mostly dates to last year. I have no idea if anything else has been changed.
Even if they've fixed it so that ACC works when using FaW, it's still not as good as CrtD. ACC was really only good for PvP (because players are the only things in the game that up their defense). But :cryptic: killed PvP a long time ago unless you really enjoy getting one-shot by a cloaked ship. If the tribble changes to DMG work out, ACC might end up being the worst of the standard weapon modifiers for PvE.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
1 shot away from finishing the doomsday device mission. Servers crash. gently caress YOU CRYPTIC AAUUGGGHGHHHH :suicide:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just caught up on this thread and patching the game and could someone tell me what's going on with the connies? If it's OPSEC still, PM me please.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Man I assumed the OP was kidding but an hour in and I see this guy

Why would the Borg queen even need eunuchs?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If anything the OP understates the insanity of the playerbase.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

The only thing I'd add is that you need to pick up the Tholian Alert daily mission from the New Romulus sector agent in the Available tab in order to get the Romulan marks from the Tholian Red Alert mission.

Nah, I always got both sets of marks without doing that.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
It prompts you to accept the mission when you enter the red alert. I made it to 15 beams so i could make a precious 360 shooting beam and apparently you have to have a special doff from a lockbox (33 mill on the exchange). wtf..

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I set up a wiki guide to the away team setup that I've been using to great effect: http://wiki.wesleyguide.com/away_teams

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

gently caress the ROW posted:

It prompts you to accept the mission when you enter the red alert. I made it to 15 beams so i could make a precious 360 shooting beam and apparently you have to have a special doff from a lockbox (33 mill on the exchange). wtf..
Did you check the whites? You can get white crafting doffs from the R&D resources mission, and last time I checked (which was admittedly months ago) they were fairly cheap. The recent Vaadwaur lockbox also added a ton of the crafting doffs. Try searching for names from this list: http://bit.ly/STORnD (click on the R&D Doffs tab).

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Fairly cheap? They're still 5 or 6 million which granted isn't really all that much but for new people that's still a lot of money that's better spent elsewhere. Crafting is for making tech upgrades and that's it, there's very little point in investing beyond that.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
'last chance lockbox event' means new lockbox coming out on the 16th for sure

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Laziest way to get people angry I found was making a female Orion, making her look as butch and manly as possible, and then naming her Bruce and walking her into old Drozana. People got angry that I was wearing pants and not dancing while looking like a man. I no joke had a group of skimpily-clad Orions stop table dancing and surround me to start insulting me. It was hilarious.

More leaks

Korgan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 10, 2015

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Korgan posted:

Laziest way to get people angry I found was making a female Orion, making her look as butch and manly as possible, and then naming her Bruce and walking her into old Drozana. People got angry that I was wearing pants and not dancing while looking like a man. I no joke had a group of skimpily-clad Orions stop table dancing and surround me to start insulting me. It was hilarious.

That's actually brilliant in it's simplicity.

In the same vein, I do have a female Orion that I have fully dressed that I used to play then relegated to farming and when I've had her on Qo'nos, I've gotten tells asking me why she's covered up. I thought it was just the occasional wierdo, but my fiance also has a fully clothed female Orion but with short hair and has also gotten upset tells about her not wearing the bikini. I guess I should be surprised, but then again, it's the STO playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Morglon posted:

Fairly cheap? They're still 5 or 6 million which granted isn't really all that much but for new people that's still a lot of money that's better spent elsewhere. Crafting is for making tech upgrades and that's it, there's very little point in investing beyond that.
I did say it had been months since I checked. And just about all the other white crafting doffs are cheap - even the klank beam doffs are cheap. It seems to be only the Fed beam and ground weapon doffs that are expensive.

Anyway, if you can't find an affordable beam doff, ask in chat. There's a decent chance that someone is around who can craft a 360 beam for you.

• Locked thread