Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Wasn't it always with gold IF?

Not sure. I am not loving driving a truck around for days away from the war just to unlock that. Either way now I would imagine that the gold badge will take out soft targets with a single shot anywhere on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.
what other guns can penetrate a jeeps? like if me and 2 recon buddies with gold inv first all shoot a jeep at once within 100 m ,maybe we kill it?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Firstkind posted:

Not sure. I am not loving driving a truck around for days away from the war just to unlock that. Either way now I would imagine that the gold badge will take out soft targets with a single shot anywhere on it.
you're doing it wrong if you're driving trucks.

you should be flying all over the place with the motorbikes that have comically bad gravity ferrying people to all corners of the map.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.

Mans posted:

comically bad gravity

This usually results in ferrying people directly into the ground, in my experience with the R75 anyway. I love the thing but you're hosed if you bump a rock with that sidecar.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You need to get a Harley instead, that thing can land on it's side and magically correct itself within a fraction of a second. Very useful bike

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's probably too late but they were giving away 200 gold this weekend.

Redemption instructions:
1. Go to http://game.heroesandgenerals.com/ or launch the Steam client.
2. Log in
3. Click the Menu button Menu button in the top right corner
4. Click on the "Redeem Voucher" button
5. Paste or type in the voucher code "5MILLIONHEROESANDGENERALS" and click "OK"

I guess it doesn't hurt to try and see if it still works.

Muroface
Mar 13, 2008

Spirit Fingers!
The incoming Vasilevsky sounds good, they're optimizing for low end PCs it seems, and the M1 carbine is being added to US infantry, gently caress yes. No mention of other faction's para weapons moving over, but I'd hope that'd happen in some form eventually...?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Muroface posted:

The incoming Vasilevsky sounds good, they're optimizing for low end PCs it seems, and the M1 carbine is being added to US infantry, gently caress yes. No mention of other faction's para weapons moving over, but I'd hope that'd happen in some form eventually...?

Nah, the FG42 really should stay Para only. I'll take an STG44, though, no problem.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I booted this game up again for the first time in ages, pulled up my American soldier made back when 1911s were handed out with every character, added a hair trigger to it and had an amazing round. It turns out being able to empty the magazine in less than a second is an incredible thing at close-range.

The game then demanded more to repair the drat thing than I could have earned in three rounds, and my progression to the next rank was negligible. :negative:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I booted this game up again for the first time in ages, pulled up my American soldier made back when 1911s were handed out with every character, added a hair trigger to it and had an amazing round. It turns out being able to empty the magazine in less than a second is an incredible thing at close-range.

The game then demanded more to repair the drat thing than I could have earned in three rounds, and my progression to the next rank was negligible. :negative:

Yeeeep. Any time I've spent lately in this game is trying to get Bolt Action Combat level 7 so I can set my K98 up with a one hit kill. Until level 7, bolt actions suck, they're 2 hit kills, which wouldn't seem bad until you think about the fact that semi-auto's are also 2 hit kills, hold more ammo, and shoot faster.

But running a bolt action is super cost effective, especially when modded to OHK.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Did a patch go whizzing by unremarked?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Did a patch go whizzing by unremarked?

Don't recall anything remarkable about it. The next patch, however, is removing the slight iron sight zoom and adding it back in a form of a scope that you'll have to purchase. Also, other scopes for many weapons that don't need them. Fj42, the German equivalent of BAR, is still available to top tier paratroopers only, but now has select fire and a scope like it properly should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6MQwBpwB9Q

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrox posted:

Don't recall anything remarkable about it. The next patch, however, is removing the slight iron sight zoom and adding it back in a form of a scope that you'll have to purchase.

hahahahaahahha

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's just sad. And clearly obvious that developers are out of touch with reality, don't play their own game, and simply rely on their message board to gather any feedback or information.

The inverse kinematics was a good addition. Then they've optimized performance on low end computers. Now they're talking about re-doing the physics engine so more airplanes could be added. Those are clearly awesome things and should give this game more years of reliable service. Not the loving scopes.

They ought to spend more time on working out balance issues, like limiting how many planes/thanks/recon can be on the team at the same time. Because nothing sucks more than 1 infantry + 8 plane assault army. Especially if you're that lone infantry guy.

The novelty of the Soviet union is gone and everyone went back to their favorite faction. There are twice as many players on German/US war map. Perhaps that could be addressed in a non-idiotic way.

I'll stop bitching now.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
really looking forward to vets having yet more things it'll take new players months of grinding to unlock :thumbsup:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so how does the guild system work? it's still a complete mystery to me

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Friendly Tumour posted:

so how does the guild system work? it's still a complete mystery to me

what guild system?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i don't loving know, i thought there was a guild system of some kind

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nitrox posted:

It's just sad. And clearly obvious that developers are out of touch with reality, don't play their own game, and simply rely on their message board to gather any feedback or information.

The inverse kinematics was a good addition. Then they've optimized performance on low end computers. Now they're talking about re-doing the physics engine so more airplanes could be added. Those are clearly awesome things and should give this game more years of reliable service. Not the loving scopes.

They ought to spend more time on working out balance issues, like limiting how many planes/thanks/recon can be on the team at the same time. Because nothing sucks more than 1 infantry + 8 plane assault army. Especially if you're that lone infantry guy.

The novelty of the Soviet union is gone and everyone went back to their favorite faction. There are twice as many players on German/US war map. Perhaps that could be addressed in a non-idiotic way.

I'll stop bitching now.

Now watch as the Sturmgewehr makes mad money for them and they can finally afford to get more people.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Triple A posted:

Now watch as the Sturmgewehr makes mad money for them and they can finally afford to get more people.
I hope so. I just wish they would let infantry use FJ42, it's finally looking like a usable gun with select fire and a scope. It was the only reason I took a paratrooper all the way to level 10 and spend 300k. But no, para only. Now paratroopers are going to land on church towers and snipe indefinitely

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
New update is live. Let's see how this goes

EDIT: Everyone is playing Germany and everyone is a loving sniper now. You can capture points like it's your full time job, everyone is in the hills

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 7, 2015

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
Hahaha so you can just pay to level up your ribbons now. Not just boost them. This is disgusting.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

EvilHobo posted:

Hahaha so you can just pay to level up your ribbons now. Not just boost them. This is disgusting.

Weapon and Camos can be bought with regular currency now too.

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

Triple A posted:

Weapon and Camos can be bought with regular currency now too.

That is something that I think is actually okay (even though the prices are very high for things like Oak camo)

Even though the grind they had in place was rather unbearable, you can now wholly negate it by just throwing gold at the game.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

EvilHobo posted:

That is something that I think is actually okay (even though the prices are very high for things like Oak camo)

Even though the grind they had in place was rather unbearable, you can now wholly negate it by just throwing gold at the game.

They should add some form of a skill mechanism to make the grind easier if you play consistently well in war battles. It would keep veterans invested and give good players an avenue to make the grind faster.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Triple A posted:

They should add some form of a skill mechanism to make the grind easier if you play consistently well in war battles. It would keep veterans invested and give good players an avenue to make the grind faster.

I'm sure reto would treat such a suggestion with the respect they have for the rest of their players :george:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like they have executed the f2p model perfectly. Everything is now attainable with in game currency, backed by gold of course. So if you like to run around on foot with an unmodded gun, you can easily buy your way to the general rank over a month or less. The people with poor impulse control will spend a ton of money, while everyone else will attain the same result over time, while learning valuable survival tactics. Even the cosmetics are now available for credits. That's unheard of in f2p game.

The weapon mod system is much more intelligent and the guns are way deadlier. Plus the new icon loadout is leaps and bounds better than the old. The old zoom was a piece of poo poo, good riddance. Luckily most scopes are not very good, I've tried the PU and the stg44 one, and it was laughably obscuring. Also, there is a sun glare now. But the scopes rifles I've stolen from recon are legitimately good. Laying down on the ground removes almost all sway, it's a proper way to fire now.

I have a couple of gripes, not necessarily new update related, and they are rather minor. Things I'd like to see changed:

- Matchmaking! Limit the number of planes/tanks/recon per total units on non-war maps. It sucks to be the lone infantryman with 7 planes flying over head. I actually joined as a pilot, but switched out of pity. It's silly when recon has better showing than infantry as well. Nothing gets done

- The deployment map, Jesus Christ it's so terribly inefficient. The icons for spawn point are tiny and are easily obscured by vehicle icons that happen to be sitting on that point. I'd like to spawn on the actual objective, not be someone's mobile target, thank you. Can't see poo poo while the spawn is loading, can't see the number of available units in game either. Why is this a thing?

- Also, the soviet faction is just poorly represented and need some sort of incentive to stand out. PTRD is a nice equalizer, but that's about it. There are 50% less people playing Soviets than any other faction. I know they are working on it, but it still sucks to get bum rushed over and over again by overwhelming numbers in war battles.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Triple A posted:

I think that war battle ribbon should give you access to some sort of cash or exp multiplier badge. This will keep good players from having other badges slotted and helping you bypass that tedious exp grind between levels 10-15 .

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nitrox posted:

I think that war battle ribbon should give you access to some sort of cash or exp multiplier badge. This will keep good players from having other badges slotted and helping you bypass that tedious exp grind between levels 10-15 .

I was thinking more introducing a system where doing thing X or completing ribbon Y gets you a Medal. Medals of course would give you a big lump-sum of experience with some currencies depending on what you did for the medal.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Just picked up this game, enjoying it way more than I expected actually. It doesn't seem too popular so my questions is - are there any other similar games? WW2 themed with progress/unlocks?

Also, does riding a bike solo or with someone else riding along contribute to the Driver and Chauffeur ribbons?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Apparition posted:

Just picked up this game, enjoying it way more than I expected actually. It doesn't seem too popular so my questions is - are there any other similar games? WW2 themed with progress/unlocks?

Also, does riding a bike solo or with someone else riding along contribute to the Driver and Chauffeur ribbons?
Bike as in motorcycle or bicycle? Driver is solo, Chauffeur is when carrying passengers in a motor vehicle. Riding a bicycle only contributes to your Physical Training badge. The game is not the most popular, but rather unique for what it is.

Red Orchestra series is another WW2 Societ/German/US/Japan first person shooter, but it's mostly glorified deathmatch. Other vthan that, it does everything much better and can look pretty on a right machine. Buy it on Steam sales for like 2 bucks.

Have a H&G video, where a man has 111 kills and 0 deaths over the course of an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ezu9Z7p6vE

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 12, 2015

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Oh, hi there.

The offending names are:

Stepan Bandera
Azov Battalion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2015

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

whats the point to playing recon when a soldier can scope a 1 shot bolt action

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

AmiEsiM posted:

whats the point to playing recon when a soldier can scope a 1 shot bolt action

Camos and high-end optics.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

not as usefull as full commando load out.

1shot scoped bolt
anti-tank grenades
best faction pistol
knife

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
8x scope vs 4x

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

and the car/minitank i guess also

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Nitrox posted:

Looks like they have executed the f2p model perfectly. Everything is now attainable with in game currency, backed by gold of course. So if you like to run around on foot with an unmodded gun, you can easily buy your way to the general rank over a month or less. The people with poor impulse control will spend a ton of money, while everyone else will attain the same result over time, while learning valuable survival tactics. Even the cosmetics are now available for credits. That's unheard of in f2p game.

Exactly how many hours of this game would you have to play to do that?

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Maarek posted:

Exactly how many hours of this game would you have to play to do that?

somebody that played 1023186581675 hours is still gonna get hosed up from someone who played .0001 hours

the veteran is gonna have more toys at his disposal tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

playing as russia is suffering these days.. i wish i could transfer all the xp and money i put into my russian commando onto my german

• Locked thread