Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's no different than any other space in which white dudes

O_O. Why did you put race into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
While I won't deny that most of the harassment blamed at Zoe was due to misogyny, another factor was the fact that she talked a lot on twitter about how horrible her situation was. Trolls love targets that they can get a reaction out of, and there's a very good reason why law enforcement tells victims of harassment and death threats not to make their situation public.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Exmond posted:

O_O. Why did you put race into this?

It's already in it. Nobody here "put it in."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Yes, obviously. This whole thing is pathetic because the culture that's being fought over isn't really a culture at all. But that's kind of the scope of the discussion and I don't think you're going to have much success trying to reframe it!

As I said earlier I think it is because for the people who cling most tightly to it, it was a culture because it was niche enough they could define themselves by it. Nothing has meaningfully changed except they can no longer depend on it catering just to them. If there are fewer games being made 'for them' now it is because the industry has diversified, not because people are talking their games.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zerilan posted:

The being "correct" or not is of no importance.

Pretty much this. It's like people in minwage thread getting mad that people are arguing in favor of a minwage increase instead of a federally supplied minimum income. Everyone on SA will agree with that, but the majority know that we are not in a position to implement it.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hadaka Apron posted:

While I won't deny that most of the harassment blamed at Zoe was due to misogyny, another factor was the fact that she talked a lot on twitter about how horrible her situation was. Trolls love targets that they can get a reaction out of, and there's a very good reason why law enforcement tells victims of harassment and death threats not to make their situation public.

Yeah. Good point.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's fundamentally a really lame culture war. Even the games journalism angle is based in gamer 'culture' being threatened with change, because art games and ~SJW~ themes are being embraced by reviewers.

From what I could glean, it seems like an attempt to have controversy for people who aren't engaged with the real world enough to be engaged with or affected by real controversies. "Now we can have our own controversy too!"

Another personal experience: in an MMO, there was a crazy attention-seeking person who tried very hard to create something he called "trollgate" in response to goons and others. He made a website where he wrote about it, and posted all over the game's forums about it, and eventually wrote a letter to the CEO of the company that did the game. It didn't work and he just quit.

From what it sounds like, the gamegate people are bad people who do bad things.

For me, beyond that, I don't think knowing the particulars matters.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

hakimashou posted:

Since the OP doesn't explain what gamergate is about, I do not know what it is all about and can't comment.

I do however have a personal experience to share. I was playing an online game and arguing with people about Edward Snowden in the chat, and somone told me that the real traitors were "Anita sarkeesian," and a man whose name I don't remember. That they were as bad as Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. I vaguely remembered having heard that name before, and asked who she was. I was told to just go and watch her videos, so I assumed she was somone on YouTube. I pressed for an explanation as to why she was a traitor to her country, and eventually learned that if she got her way, she would take away video games. And that this was a wrongdoing on par with giving secrets to the USSR.

Anyhow, while I find it hard to believe that gamer gate is something that matters, I thoight I would share my own personal experience with it.

The TL;DR version is some woman who makes indie video games once slept with some video game journalist who had no editorial control at the company. MRAs got riled up about this. Nobody gave a poo poo but them, so they started harassing and sending death threats to everyone involved.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hadaka Apron posted:

Well, she didn't shut up and go away. She chose to make noise about it. And now many major sites including Twitter have new anti-harassment policies, organizations have been set up to help support people being targeted by online hate groups, she got to speak on this across TV and radio in several different countries, and she was invited to Washington DC to talk to the US government about potential changes in the law to protect under fire like this.

Edit: And any attempt to google the above event is, of course, headed by GG propaganda pieces about how it was a 'fake' congressional briefing, and how the media is lying and the US government would NEVER cave to the will of such a duplicitous harpy.

You think any of this would have happened if she just quietly disappeared like the trolls apparently wanted her to? I'm pretty sure that the 'don't feed the trolls' and 'don't talk about harassment online' stuff is the reason why things have gotten as bad as they have.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 8, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hadaka Apron posted:

Please tell me what key differences exist between this argument and the classic "I'm not saying she deserved to be raped, but" argument.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hadaka Apron posted:

Law enforcement doesn't exactly have a good track record on silencing women's voices. What was she supposed to do, enter a nunnery?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Ddraig posted:

Please tell me what key differences exist between this argument and the classic "I'm not saying she deserved to be raped, but" argument.

If I say that the Maginot Line was a bad idea and that France got overrun by the Nazis so quickly because they were planning for WW1-style trench warfare, am I saying that France was asking for it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hadaka Apron posted:

"Be quiet and suffer in silence, woman." It's not really "another factor" if it is also rooted in misogyny.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Serf posted:

"Be quiet and suffer in silence, woman." It's not really "another factor" if it is also rooted in misogyny.

But responding to the trolls doesn't work. I mean, Chris-chan responded to trolls all the time and all it showed them was that he was an easy mark.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Years ago I was in a D&D campaign with Zoe Quinn, AMA.

My girlfriend at the time and I used to play Dance Dance Revolution at the mall, this is how we met her. This was back in like 2005 or so.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hadaka Apron posted:

If I say that the Maginot Line was a bad idea and that France got overrun by the Nazis so quickly because they were planning for WW1-style trench warfare, am I saying that France was asking for it?

I don't really think the actions of a sovereign state preparing for war is really comparable to a human woman being attacked for no reason then being told to shut up and suffer her abuse in silence.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

The funny thing is that you really think this is true despite it happening right now with no backlash.

There was some FTC related thing to sponsored YouTube videos where the creators don't need to properly disclose the partnership.

It's still up for debate if a notice at the start or a simple line in the description should be done, most have err'd on the side of caution and just disclosed it because it's good form and lets the viewer know.

Edit - This is the article I was referring to: http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/23/5337574/the-ftc-on-paying-youtubers-to-endorse-games

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hadaka Apron posted:

But responding to the trolls doesn't work. I mean, Chris-chan responded to trolls all the time and all it showed them was that he was an easy mark.

"Gamersgate" is now associated with a bunch of misogynists so I'd say it did work.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

"Gamersgate" is now associated with a bunch of misogynists so I'd say it did work.

The GBS thread disagrees, it is associated with Serious Questions About Games Journalism.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I've read more articles about online herassment against women since gamergate picked up. I'm not sure if it's connected.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

Then being "correct" or not is of no importance.

Being correct is everything! You shouldn't resort to nihilism simply because there is no hope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

The GBS thread disagrees, it is associated with Serious Questions About Games Journalism.

That's about the only place. "Actually, it's about ethics in game journalism" became a meme so prevalent that non-gamers were saying it.

If you want to waste time reading the comments on a "know your meme" site you can see how petty GGers actually are.

Serf
May 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

That's about the only place. "Actually, it's about ethics in game journalism" became a meme so prevalent that non-gamers were saying it.

If you want to waste time reading the comments on a "know your meme" site you can see how petty GGers actually are.

The moment I knew it had become a joke was when it appeared, apropos of nothing, in a Grantland article.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ImpAtom posted:

As I said earlier I think it is because for the people who cling most tightly to it, it was a culture because it was niche enough they could define themselves by it. Nothing has meaningfully changed except they can no longer depend on it catering just to them. If there are fewer games being made 'for them' now it is because the industry has diversified, not because people are talking their games.

But is this actually true, or is it developers reaction to loud criticism? Because it seems that the criticism, coupled with the success of phone games showing that there is a large market for women out there, has had an impact. And it is a zero sum game, as the amount of funding is limited and the more games not targeted at the previous demographic, the less they have overall. So "Gamers" are in a sense, "losing" something. Couple that fact, with the loud activists saying that the games they like are too violent, too sexualized, too "childish", racist"(all criticisms that they don't agree with) and you have a ready made group of people who see "SJW's" coming to make their games Politically Correct.

Basically, I'm saying that this backlash was inevitable. The demographics are changing, and the "SJW's" are still talking poo poo about "their" games. What's both disturbing and disappointing, is the seemingly violent obsession with the sex lives of women involved in games and game criticism and rallying around a hashtag about it.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

computer parts posted:

quote:

Announcement: GAMERSGATE.COM is NOT Gamergate!

As many of you are aware of, recently there has been a fierce and infected discussion about sexism as well as journalistic ethics in the gaming industry. We've received threats and harsh words from around the world and want to make it clear for everyone that Gamersgate.com is not part of this controversy whatsoever.

Next year Gamersgate.com celebrate our 10th anniversary and since start we have been selling games for download. We are one of the original download platforms and we do our best to support gamers so that they can buy and download games to good prices. Anytime, anywhere.

Theodore Bergqvist. CEO - Gamersgate.com

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

This is unfortunate. It's also a measured response, one that Zoe Quinn decided to do when attacked by another bunch of simpering clowns. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Would you agree or is your posting of that evidence that certain people are deserving of making their side of the story known but others less so?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Ddraig posted:

This is unfortunate. It's also a measured response, one that Zoe Quinn decided to do when attacked by another bunch of simpering clowns. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Would you agree or is your posting of that evidence that certain people are deserving of making their side of the story known but others less so?

I'm saying that an established business that gets harassment probably has some kind of PR working for it, which would offer much better advice than an untrained person posting on their own Twitter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did Zoe go speak to Congress about her ordeal? Not that this should be about her, but that is interesting that things took off that far. I just remember the early hell thread when it still had doobies dogs and then stopped following everything.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Hadaka Apron posted:

I'm saying that an established business that gets harassment probably has some kind of PR working for it, which would offer much better advice than an untrained person posting on their own Twitter.

What training is there for having your life suddenly and irrevocably changed overnight through no fault of your own?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Did Zoe go speak to Congress about her ordeal? Not that this should be about her, but that is interesting that things took off that far. I just remember the early hell thread when it still had doobies dogs and then stopped following everything.

Yep, she was there to speak at a congressional briefing, had TV appearances on BBC, CNN, NBC, etc, plenty more radio interviews, started her own anti-harassment organization and is assisting another. Apparently there's multiple FBI investigations in progress regarding the worst of Gamergate too. And the guy who started all this poo poo, Eron Gjoni, is currently under about eight different flavours of restraining order that he keeps breaking. Of course, he just has to ask on the GG hashtag for funds whenever he needs to lawyer up. The first time he was up for a court appearance, they funded his defense within an hour.

(Judge still smacked him down)

poo poo got kinda big and very scary.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 8, 2015

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Dominic White posted:

You think any of this would have happened if she just quietly disappeared like the trolls apparently wanted her to? I'm pretty sure that the 'don't feed the trolls' and 'don't talk about harassment online' stuff is the reason why things have gotten as bad as they have.

There are female game devs out there that I know personally who are being very careful, very quiet, not making too much noise on social media, because it is pretty clear that you can have your career ruined by this howling horde of trolls. Not everyone has the brass balls of Zoe Quinn or the iron skin of Anita Sarkeesian. Most female developers want to make games and go home at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, this is precisely what the trolls want. They want little girls to be seen, and not heard.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Yes.

From what I remember, there was some hashtag related to the briefing. GGers, being who they are, decided to flood the hashtag with a bunch of their bullshit. Which meant that the people at the hearing pulled out tablets and could give the members present at the meeting a real time demonstration of exactly what they were there talking about.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dominic White posted:

Yep, she was there to speak at a congressional briefing, had TV appearances on BBC, CNN, NBC, etc, plenty more radio interviews, started her own anti-harassment organization and is assisting another. Apparently there's multiple FBI investigations in progress regarding the worst of Gamergate too. And the guy who started all this poo poo, Eron Gjoni, is currently under about eight different flavours of restraining order that he keeps breaking. Of course, he just has to ask on the GG hashtag for funds whenever he needs to lawyer up. The first time he was up for a court appearance, they funded his defense within an hour.

(Judge still smacked him down)

poo poo got kinda big and very scary.

I think Eron needs to get some counselling and needs to drop the whole zoe thing.

On the other hand (incoming unpopular opinion) I handled the whole five guys dumb stuff just like I did with Tiger woods. Took a look at Erons post, knowing its biased, looked at any defending comments and made my own opinion.

The way it blew up was terrible and a lot of despicable people did a lot of despicable things. I think the massive difference in reactions to the Tiger Woods controversy vs the Five guys thing points out a lot of worrisome things in "gamer culture" and "gaming journalism".

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Exmond posted:

I think Eron needs to get some counselling and needs to drop the whole zoe thing.

On the other hand (incoming unpopular opinion) I handled the whole five guys dumb stuff just like I did with Tiger woods. Took a look at Erons post, knowing its biased, looked at any defending comments and made my own opinion.

The way it blew up was terrible and a lot of despicable people did a lot of despicable things. I think the massive difference in reactions to the Tiger Woods controversy vs the Five guys thing points out a lot of worrisome things in "gamer culture" and "gaming journalism".

Here's the thing: Why do you even need to "handle" this information? It is quite literally none of your business.

"In the public interest" is not the same as "what the public is interested in"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Exmond posted:

After a lovely breakup, doesn't everyone want to have a huge organization spontaneously form around the idea that their ex is literally the worst person in the world? GamerGate are not doing this guy's mental health any favors. Someone needed to tell him long ago "Dude, she was no good for you! You are well shot of her! Let's go to the pub." Not to pander to his every paranoia and grievance. He even lost his job because he was so obsessed. It's tragic, literally.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ddraig posted:

Here's the thing: Why do you even need to "handle" this information? It is quite literally none of your business.

"In the public interest" is not the same as "what the public is interested in"

Edit: In response to "Why do we even need to handle this information" Why did people need to handle the Tiger woods controversy?

Through no fault of my own the information was released and brought to my attention. Its not like I purposefully looked for it. It was brought to my attention and I decided to form an opinion. I decided to try and make an informed opinion so dug a little.

I find it odd that there is a crowd that is incensed that people formed an opinion based off of the news. Its the same thing as when you hear about "GG" being a bunch of harassers. You form an opinion.

If you heard a game developer is supporting GG you can form your own opinion. Technically the game developers belief is "none of your business" but you still get to act on that information.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Exmond posted:

Edit: In response to "Why do we even need to handle this information" Why did people need to handle the Tiger woods controversy?

That's a good question, and it's sort of the one I was posing to you.

People have a right to a private life. I don't think the details of what Tiger Woods and Zoe Quinn do in the bedroom is anyone's business but their own. It's not news, it's not even journalism, it's the literal definition of sensational gutter press reporting and it would be a constant source of amusement to me that a crusade with the facade of being about ethical journalism started off the back of the Zoe Post if it wasn't so terribly depressing.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ddraig posted:

That's a good question, and it's sort of the one I was posing to you.

Hmm, Ill try to answer the question.

I support I handled the information because it kept popping up. Seeing GG mentioned in the various something awful threads I follow I decided to see what was going on. So I guess I decided to handle the information because it was appearing in the forum threads I read. In order to keep up with the threads and participate in them I decided to see what was going on.

As well if you want to go risk vs reward I lose nothing in checking out what everyone is talking about. The amount of effort required to find out more information about the event isn't very large either, tons of people have opinions on it that I respect.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

There are female game devs out there that I know personally who are being very careful, very quiet, not making too much noise on social media, because it is pretty clear that you can have your career ruined by this howling horde of trolls. Not everyone has the brass balls of Zoe Quinn or the iron skin of Anita Sarkeesian. Most female developers want to make games and go home at the end of the day.

Yeah, I know a good few people who are keeping a very low profile simply because they're working on something or have said things in the past that would anger the swarm, and they don't have the time nor energy to deal with it.

It's why I'm glad whenever a prominent white dude (I say this as a less prominent white dude) draws some fire. When Tim Schafer made fun of Gamergate at the Game Developers Conference closing show (fun aside: every official GDC twitter tag was rendered useless because of GG spam, porn , abuse and worse for the ENTIRE EVENT - press and developers alike had to move to IRC to get their info). He was their Public Enemy #1 for a good week or so, and everything they could talk about. The abuse of lower-profile folks let up for a while when that happened.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The thing about prominent white dudes is that they are never under any real danger from GamerGate. They have PR people to douse the flames, IT people to secure the company's website, and adoring fans to take their side. None of which counts for people like Zoe Quinn, who was absolutely nobody before she got pounced on, just another barely-known indie dev schlepping her laptop round to a bunch of little conventions. That's what makes it scary; you used to have to be somebody to get harassed (such as Bethesda for making Fallout 3 3D, or Bioware for having gay NPCs) and that meant you had support. But now, you can become public enemy number 1 just by being a woman with a game or an opinion.

• Locked thread