Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

sassassin posted:

I still don't know what soldier was supposed to be for. It's a giant super soldier arms race/pissing contest against...? Shinra own the whole world.

Collecting unpaid electric bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

sassassin posted:

I still don't know what soldier was supposed to be for. It's a giant super soldier arms race/pissing contest against...? Shinra own the whole world.

I figured it was just a mad scientist super science thing. It doesn't need a purpose, it just is!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

Conquering uppity rebel regions like Wutai

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

sassassin posted:

Having sex with aliens.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

sassassin posted:

Enhancing one's military/defense/security beyond what is deemed necessary and fueled by little more than fear is a time honored tradition.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Enhancing one's military/defense/security beyond what is deemed necessary and fueled by little more than fear is a time honored tradition.

Also a good point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Shinra didn't own the whole world when it started. Soldier was a big part of their subjugation methods. They in particular distinguished themselves in the Wutai war.

Wutai, if you recall were ancient magic Japanese ninjas who kicked everyone's rear end until NotAmerica used SOLDIERS and threatened to use the Junon Canon against them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even after Wutai fell in line they still need to subjugate the poors like Avalanche and Corel.

e. apparently they aren't for protecting headquarters because you will maybe get a random encounter for one if you're lucky since so few of the floors are actually patrolled by anyone?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Personally I was always interested what the S.O.L.D.I.E.R. stands for, especially since the Polish magazines made a point to translate the acronym literally and that can't make sense. Were there non-English version with changed name? I think the Japanese version had S.O.L.D.I.E.R. as well?

Presumably the first letter stands for "Shinra", but the rest? "Shinra Operational Lethal Dudes Investigating Enemies' Realms"?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 8, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

sassassin posted:

The world was still saved. Doesn't matter who from.

Shinra wins on a technicality.

Shinra provides the sickness, then the cure. Pretty tightly-run business.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Szurumbur posted:

Personally I was always interested what the S.O.L.D.I.E.R. stands for, especially since the Polish magazines made a point to translate the acronym literally and that can't make sense. Were there non-English version with changed name? I think the Japanese version had S.O.L.D.I.E.R. as well?

Presumably the first letter stands for "Shinra", but the rest? "Shinra Operational Lethal Dudes Investigating Enemies' Realms"?

Someone once told me it was Shinra Operations, Logistics, Defense, & Intelligence Expert Regiment but I'm pretty sure they were backronym-it but I always liked the sound of it. At the same time A.V.A.L.A.N.C.H.E is in the game so who the gently caress knows

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soldier isn't an acronym at all. In the Japanese game it is just the English word Soldier. They translated it as SOLDIER to keep that but differentiate it from the actual word Soldier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the name in Japanese was just SOLDIER. Not an acronym, just a loanword from english. Like the Ninja militia in the congo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
ffvii is the result of FFX-2's shinra ancestors leaving Spira and settling on The Planet, where they used Farplane-based technology to create mako

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Excels posted:

ffvii is the result of FFX-2's shinra ancestors leaving Spira and settling on The Planet, where they used Farplane-based technology to create mako

No

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197341-final-fantasy-vii/46013722

yes

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

quote:

Nojima
"Actually, it does. After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world, or something like that....... That would happen about 1000 years after this story, I think."

--"So VII's story is after that?"

Nojima
"Well, you could say the feelings I have are like that. When I think about the characters, those are the kinds of feelings I already have. Shinra is a good child, but his descendants are going to end up becoming like the president <of Shin-Ra> (laughs)."

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
if you want to go that way the processes that create materia in ff7 were put in place by a space traveling being killed by the ff4 crew

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is weird. I never thought of any of the Final Fantasy games being part of a time line other than those with direct sequels.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final Fantasy 14 takes place after Final Fantasy 3 and 6 and also every other Final Fantasy game

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if i recall, nomura stated Dissidia is canon to every FF game, it was sort of a Persona Q situation where they tripped and stumbled into a nexus world for a while then lost all their memories when it was over and returned to their own points in time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could not give less of a poo poo about a hypothetical FF timeline.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Excels posted:

if i recall, nomura stated Dissidia is canon to every FF game, it was sort of a Persona Q situation where they tripped and stumbled into a nexus world for a while then lost all their memories when it was over and returned to their own points in time

It's also a prequel to FF1 and the Warrior of Light is essentially FF1's Cid.

I loving love all the idiotic ways they've tried to connect these wildly different games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's crossed wires because of dumb poo poo like FF12&T and Dissidia and Gilgamesh but I optimistically believe that FFX-2 interview was leaning hard into a dumb fan fiction joke like when Kojima was baiting nerds that MGS and Snatcher shared a timeline.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When Ultimecia compressed time she absorbed all the final fantasies

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

zedprime posted:

There's crossed wires because of dumb poo poo like FF12&T and Dissidia and Gilgamesh but I optimistically believe that FFX-2 interview was leaning hard into a dumb fan fiction joke like when Kojima was baiting nerds that MGS and Snatcher shared a timeline.

That Snatcher is part of a series with nanomachine senators and time paradoxes is amazing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

When Ultimecia compressed time she absorbed all the final fantasies

it didn't help her much

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Timeline discussion: That alien blob trying to destroy the universe in The After Years is Azure_Horizon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Timeline discussion: That alien blob trying to destroy the universe in The After Years is Azure_Horizon.
impossible, it didn't spike anyone's drink

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Mega64 posted:

But I didn't see a single mention of how Etro's Gate was obviously that thing behind Orphan in Final Fantasy XIII!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

No you see if you read the Datalog

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved Dissidia a lot, but I thought it was best if I ignored any and all attempts it made at connecting the Final Fantasies. I treat any and all timeline theories the same way. Terrible idea that plagues Zelda to this day.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I loved Dissidia a lot, but I thought it was best if I ignored any and all attempts it made at connecting the Final Fantasies. I treat any and all timeline theories the same way. Terrible idea that plagues Zelda to this day.

Wind Waker Ganondorf is the same Ganon from OoT

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Excels posted:

Childhood. Destroyed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's generally believed that Gilgamesh is always the same guy in most of the games because he travels through the void to other universes. Usually. FF IX Gilgamesh is debatable and XI Gilgamesh is almost definitely not the same guy.

In a few games, Gilamesh even makes reference to Bartz.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I treat any and all timeline theories the same way. Terrible idea that plagues Zelda to this day.

Agreed. All Final Fantasies share The Void and nothing else. Boom, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Excels posted:

Just because I don't always like Zelda's timeline doesn't mean I don't know it.

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's generally believed that Gilgamesh is always the same guy in most of the games because he travels through the void to other universes. Usually. FF IX Gilgamesh is debatable and XI Gilgamesh is almost definitely not the same guy.

In a few games, Gilamesh even makes reference to Bartz.

I make an exception for Gilgamesh. He has to be the same guy between FFV and FFVIII at the very least.