Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

InShaneee posted:

I don't see it announced anywhere on the front page, but it looks like ALL Dark Horse stuff on Comixology is 50% off.

Farewell, money, I'll never forget our time together.

Was about to mention. Crazy crazy crazy.

Considering:
Hellboy (+ BPRD)
Fear Agent
Blade of the Immortal?
Lone Wolf and Cub?
Blacksad?

Sin City was solid when I read it a while back but I don't really need to give Frank Miller money at this point.

I remember Fray (sci fi future in the Buffy universe) as really enjoyable.

Any others folks want to rec?

Fear Agent is a tough decision because I like the art and would really love a great fun sci-fi adventure comic, but I mostly don't like Remender's writing. I enjoyed the ridiculous fun of Franken-Castle and thought his Uncanny X-Force run was solid enough except for whatever weird crossover thing happened in the middle of it, but I don't really like his narrative voice in e.g. Black Science or most of the other stuff I've read from him. Anyone else who's not *particularly* a Remender fan have thoughts on Fear Agent?

edit: Thanks for Fear Agent thoughts. And oh wow, yeah, looks like the deal on Finder Library volumes is amazing. That's been rec'd to me before as well.

Oh, also, I think Dr. McNinja is definitely fun enough to be worth purchasing at the sale prices.

onefish fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget the wonderful world of things with Terminators Aliens and/or Predators!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd recommend:
Umbrella Academy
Aliens vs Judge Dredd vs Predator
Usagi Yojimbo

I'm going to get:
Finder (I borrowed the first two volumes from a friend, only read one so far, but I like it well enough to buy my own copies)
Terminal City (was recommended this a long time ago, don't remember why or by who, don't really know anything about it)

I like Fear Agent, but I can see being put off by Remender. It starts off fun and there's a lot of great action throughout, but there is also a lot of dark moments for the characters and it gets a bit depressing as it goes on. If you don't think Remender pulls that stuff off well, you'd get annoyed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Don't forget the wonderful world of things with Terminators Aliens and/or Predators!

Stop saying good comics to buy I've already spent too much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're listing Dark Horses to buy?
I'm way behind, but I really like Mind MGMT.

Get the first Mask omnibus!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll hesitantly anti-recommend Mind MGMT because while I think it's great and everyone should read it there are elements on the page that I feel transition very poorly to a tablet. Those are some really good prices though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone else read the new Runaways? Is it as bad as people have apparently made out it is and is there any first impressions on the new Civil War thing?. Can anyone tell me if Drones is any good? Also for my sins I'm considering getting 21st Century Tank Girl, maybe Halloween Man and George Perez's Sirens too but that's on part 4 of 6 so I might see if it's collected, it's not like I'm short of comics to read right now.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked Runaways (the first issue - haven't read the second yet). It's not the old Runaways, which might be what people are complaining about.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Justice League: Gods & Monsters has been pretty cool, with Wonder Woman's 60s Flashback story (2/3 complete as of today) easily being the most unpredictable compared to Vampire Batman and (admittedly also cool) Mexican Immigrant Superman.

I've never read the older Runaways series and the Secret Wars mini has me hooked. Stevenson + Greene are a great combo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Has anyone else read the new Runaways? Is it as bad as people have apparently made out it is and is there any first impressions on the new Civil War thing?. Can anyone tell me if Drones is any good? Also for my sins I'm considering getting 21st Century Tank Girl, maybe Halloween Man and George Perez's Sirens too but that's on part 4 of 6 so I might see if it's collected, it's not like I'm short of comics to read right now.

It's just a name, it's a silly detention story in a superpower school.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's just a name, it's a silly detention story in a superpower school.

Did you read the second issue?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, is #2 already out? I don't get home for another hour.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, is #2 already out? I don't get home for another hour.

Yeah it came out today! It is definitely not a story about them in detention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's good and it definitely eases my concerns after reading #1.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What exactly is contained and not contained in those Usage Yojimbo Saga books?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

What is Hellboy like?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

He's a blue collar worker who's job is to punch monsters.

Mignola brings in lots of mythos from all over the world and puts Hellboy through hell, but never strays from that central conceit of Hellboy going out and doing his job because no one else will.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Pulp adventure/horror mixed with excellent art to create an undercurrent of pathos. I'd recommend buying the first trade and if you like what you see move onto

http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Libra...library+edition

All of Library editions.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Marvel Unlimited for a penny between now and July 20th. (Bunch of terms and conditions apply.)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Uthor posted:

Marvel Unlimited for a penny between now and July 20th. (Bunch of terms and conditions apply.)

God drat it, I already got my subscription to MU. Also what's the name of the FF series, with the alien head in the jar and such? I remember that being pretty excellent. But yeah, MU is completely worth the 10 dollars a month, and that deal is just ridiculous.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
am i doing something wrong? im reading on a surface pro 3 (windows 8.1 comixology app) and it looks great when it isnt zoomed in. but when i do the panel mode it gets really blurry and pixelated, something that doesnt happen with high quality scans you can download in the netherworld of the internet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I see zoomed pixels when fitting to width in landscape on my iPad mini, so the HD pages are definitely less than 2000 pixels wide.
Blowing up a panel that's maybe a third of that... yup.

HogX posted:

God drat it, I already got my subscription to MU. Also what's the name of the FF series, with the alien head in the jar and such? I remember that being pretty excellent. But yeah, MU is completely worth the 10 dollars a month, and that deal is just ridiculous.

They're introduced in Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF and feature heavily in Matt Fraction's FF.
Fraction's is the one with more cartoony art, She-Hulk, the pink haired lady in the Thing suit and all that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

So that's three out of seven months it's been free this year huh?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Humble India Bundle. Bunch of India-focused comics, including some things by Stan Lee and Grant Morrison.

https://www.humblebundle.com/grantmorrison

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Comixology are doing some variant covers for SDCC, the one for A-force is kinda cute.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Humble India Bundle. Bunch of India-focused comics, including some things by Stan Lee and Grant Morrison.

https://www.humblebundle.com/grantmorrison

I'm pretty confused by 18 Days.
Is 1-10 a complete adaptation of the webseries?
Is the 'Illustrated Scriptbook' this thing? http://www.amazon.com/Grant-Morrisons-18-Days-Morrison/dp/1606901745

Avatarex is a follow-up to that?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 9, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished off my Usagi Yojimbo collection with the sales going on. It's kind of infuriating that Comixology is missing a like ten trades from volume three but I'll live.

Anyone have suggestions on decent Conan collections? Want to spend more dumb money on comics for my dumb tablet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I liked Buisek's run starting from here.
Conan Vol. 1: The Frost-Giant's Daughter and Other Stories: http://www.comixology.com/Conan-Vol-1-The-Frost-Giants-Daughter-and-Other-Stories/digital-comic/230854

After his run, there was a lot of renumbering and mini series and it all gets a little hard to keep track of (though it looks like Dark Horse has kept the numbering going between collections, which is nice). And I've lost interest in the title since then.

I hear good things about the Marvel Conan stuff, but I never read any. Dark Horse has those reprints, too.
Chronicles of Conan Vol. 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories: http://www.comixology.com/Chronicles-of-Conan-Vol-1-Tower-of-the-Elephant-and-Other-Stories/digital-comic/230614

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well Kurt Busiek rules so that's where I'll start. Thanks much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also Savage Tales of Conan, which are giant-rear end collections of b&w reprints of the stories from the Marvel Conan magazine. Because they were in a magazine, not a 'comic book', they weren't subject to the CCA, so you get stuff aimed at a more mature audience, including direct adaptations of some of the books.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought it was cool when they had a $1 per issue 52 sale a few months ago :sweatdrop:

I'm debating buying it again for the bonus materials, because I am stupid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heh, I guess Apple is still angry about comixology/amazon pulling purchases from the app. They have an entire section for comics (because of SDCC) and Comixology is not suggested / mentioned. :lol:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Does anyone actually read comics on iBooks? Like, obviously Comixology is king poo poo and actually works reasonably well across almost every possible device. Kindle format is a tolerable substitute I guess if you have a ton of Amazon gift cards (otherwise it's bad. Don't do it)

But iBooks? Can you even read comics on an iPad Mini?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Considering people read comics on their phones, I don't see why you couldn't read them on an iPad Mini.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I read all my comics on an iPad Mini.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Does anyone actually read comics on iBooks? Like, obviously Comixology is king poo poo and actually works reasonably well across almost every possible device. Kindle format is a tolerable substitute I guess if you have a ton of Amazon gift cards (otherwise it's bad. Don't do it)

But iBooks? Can you even read comics on an iPad Mini?

I bought one book in iBooks, but the formatting was intolerable.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I meant specifically on iBooks on in iPad Mini. I misspoke.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I buy manga volumes pretty frequently on iBooks on a mini 2 and I think it's perfectly fine.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
So Usagi Yojimbo vol 1 isn't on Comixology? I thought it was on the old DH app.

I bought the three Saga volumes which starts from book 8.... is there a way to get books 1-7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

hadji murad posted:

So Usagi Yojimbo vol 1 isn't on Comixology? I thought it was on the old DH app.

I bought the three Saga volumes which starts from book 8.... is there a way to get books 1-7?

Huh? My volume one (hardcopy) covers issues 1-6, and my volume 2 (digital) covers 7-12.