Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Always use licensed and insured contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I even broke a personal rule of sorts and pitched a couple bucks to a cosplay fundraiser to help them repair their poo poo. I mean seriously.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Gabranth one is cool as heck

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

The Gabranth one is cool as heck

Yeah, the amounts of love and effort that went into that are very apparent. I hope they're able to somehow salvage/repair at least some of the costumes that were damaged :ohdear:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It looks like their tripod is set to the exact same angle for their photos.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Timely update!

quote:

Hey Guys.
We hope you are fine. Today we feel a little better thanks to all of you. We are amazed by the cosplay community and even more. We send you HUGE THANK YOU. We receive actually lot of messages...help...support....LOVE.

We try to answer fast but it is hard, a new message or comment is coming as soon as we answered one! All of you today gave us the confirmation that we are like a family, everyone spraid love for cosplay, and bring a big support.
We will never forget your lovely words, the faith you communicate us.

French friend create a crowdfunding...it is insane...We never thought something like that will be done for us... we are just " hobbyists" but it seems everyone in the cosplay community and even more are sad or concerned with the destruction of our costumes.

We feel all the kindness in your warm words, we feel terribly sad and happy in the same time...because all is broken and because all of you give us so much love... A big thank you for being so kind and worried about us. We cry of happiness, you gave us faith in humanity. We can't stop...people told us " please, continue to make us dream!" We can't stop.

We know it is hard to find motivation after seeing all of our favorite costumes destroyed but we feel stronger now again thanks to you.

We saw talented people we follow like Yaya Han, Kamui, Yuegene and SOOO many friends, cosplayers, monster hunter players share the status... All of you root for us... it is completely crazy.

We will use your donations in order to repair some costumes.
-We will redo War's sword, all armors and boots.
- We will repair the felyne Legendary anchor, redo the feather hat, put a new armor decoration on it, redo the wheel ( all the spikes are broken), the pirate's hat and props, the sewing part.
- We will redo the Reginleiv costumes and Odin.
- Gabranth cape, helmet and swords.

We will create the planned costumes for and thanks to you. A dedication and grateful work for you. We will do our best and put our energy at maximal level.

Each costume will be a part of you, so we must do the best we can, you deserved it, you gave us more than " money", you show us love. We feel honored and terribly uneasy at the same time, because we are modest and to see the amount of money is...yes uneasy. It is really hard to find the words for describe how we feel, but we found faith in humanity thank to all of you.

We will answer every message so please, be patient.
Best regards, Shoko and Jérôme.

Gabranth is my favorite of theirs and a costume I plan to make myself someday so I'm extra glad that he'll be getting repaired.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Costume Insurance....

There may be a market here.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Costume Insurance....

There may be a market here.

I would be the first to sign on for that. I have renter's insurance 99% because of all my costumes, I have nightmares about apartment fires. :ohdear:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

McPantserton posted:

I would be the first to sign on for that. I have renter's insurance 99% because of all my costumes, I have nightmares about apartment fires. :ohdear:

You can probably get a rider from your current insurance company that covers the appraised value of each costume (some places call these individual coverages "floaters"). A normal renters policy will only pay out the cost of materials minus depreciation, and I can tell you (very bitterly) from experience that proving even those costs in a way that the company will accept is an uphill battle :smith:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I skimmed their Facebook but didn't see them ever say, did they hire actual contractors or what? I feel like there's more to the story besides they hired legitimate contractors and they put a hole in the roof and played with all their poo poo. But maybe that's a thing that happens in France?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can probably get a rider from your current insurance company that covers the appraised value of each costume (some places call these individual coverages "floaters"). A normal renters policy will only pay out the cost of materials minus depreciation, and I can tell you (very bitterly) from experience that proving even those costs in a way that the company will accept is an uphill battle :smith:

Good to know, I will check that out!

SpartanIV posted:

I skimmed their Facebook but didn't see them ever say, did they hire actual contractors or what? I feel like there's more to the story besides they hired legitimate contractors and they put a hole in the roof and played with all their poo poo. But maybe that's a thing that happens in France?

No idea, I just follow them on facebook so that's all I saw

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I got the impression that work was being done, the roof collapsed, and maybe the contractors threw poo poo around to make sure no one was trapped under the rubble, but there's not enough information in either posting to tell what all happened except some cool costumes got hosed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Good insurance will have "replacement value". I made sure of this when I got mine. Cause if it was only cost of materials and my house burned down, I'd get owned on the 100s of hours I have into my project car.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How do you even store costumes like this? I don't imagine you can just hang them up in your closet or something.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

C-Euro posted:

How do you even store costumes like this? I don't imagine you can just hang them up in your closet or something.

A complex system of plastic sheeting, soft foam, and big tubs. Plus hangars and a lot of closet space for the no-fold cloth pieces.

Also a lot of cosplay getups are still not constructed with longevity in mind, which can mean your choice of awkward storage, big drycleaning bills, or costumes that fall apart more and more every year (until you cave and spend almost a grand remaking them, that is).

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Behead those who disrespect cosplay, cosplay is merciful peace be with he who dresses. :jihad:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

C-Euro posted:

Rubbermaid bins for most of mine, we have steel shelving set up in our storage locker. My wall is also covered in props and banners at this point, and my StarCraft marine lives on a stand in my bedroom at the foot of my bed. This one is actually my friend's, but the setup is about the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You should get a mannequin head and stick it in there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
muppet toys' head

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You should get a mannequin head and stick it in there.

Two lightbulbs horizontally, FF black mage style.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Fog machine + Mannequin head for all the sick cigar smoking.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I know this one's probably Cecil, but when I first saw it I instead thought of Alternis Dim, and I was very happy.

I'll have to ask a friend of mine for links to some of the Bravely Default cosplays he somehow just accrues pictures of. I loved those designs so much.

EDIT: vv FFIV wasn't one of my favorite Final Fantasies, you might be able to tell.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Jul 9, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I know this one's probably Kain, but when I first saw it I instead thought of Alternis Dim, and I was very happy.

I'll have to ask a friend of mine for links to some of the Bravely Default cosplays he somehow just accrues pictures of. I loved those designs so much.

Cecil, Kain used spears.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Someone post the pictures of the destroyed costumes or a link to where they posted them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jesus, good for him.

:v: His abs are not symmetrical! IMMERSION RUINED! :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

All that time tanning and he just wore regular socks.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It seems like being in amazing shape just makes every cosplay twice as good.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I am legitimately curious what is going on with his abs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pile of Kittens posted:

appendectomy scar

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

abs are often not symmetrical

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Dr_Amazing posted:

It seems like being in amazing shape just makes every cosplay twice as good.

Stop objectifying that male please

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

They're at a Dutch angle.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I think this is Tifa Cosplay

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where are the goddamn gloves.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No bungy cords
No bank of speakers
Guitar doesn't shoot flames
1/10

So this just happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5KE44xluo

Behind the scenes:
http://teamcoco.com/video/mad-max-cold-open-behind-the-scenes?playlist=x;eyJ0b3RhbCI6NDMsInR5cGUiOiJldGFnIiwiaWQiOjg5MDMxfQ

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jesus Christ, that's really really good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:golfclap:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So this happened at the Chicago Pride Parade.

My favorite though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pile of Kittens posted:

When a man's body fat drops down below the common goon range of 25%-45% body weight, underlying muscles often become visible.

• Locked thread