Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

microsoft security essentials is good

but i heard it's............................................... not.............................................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

All antivirus is bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i installed mse b/c :effort: thx for ur help thread

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cold on a Cob posted:

but i heard it's............................................... not.............................................

you heard wrong

nod32 is also good but it costs like $90 per month and frankly you don't need antivirus if you're not an idiot so stick with mse

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
I'm having trouble seeing right now, so I'm browsing at 200% zoom in high contrast. I've never looked at a google code repository before and I was wondering how I can contact the author of the high contrast extension I'm using for chrome. It saves preferences per site, and I'd like to add the ability to save settings per site and url regex match. I found the project page, but the source for this extension isn't listed in any of the repositories.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

hey which free antivirus is the current "least lovely" option? i used to run microsoft security essentials b/c it was fast as hell but i guess they fell way behind on virus definitions

they didn't fall behind. you should still use it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm glad to hear i made the right choice, laziness wins again

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
get the free version of avast and turn off audio notifications

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
too late, lol :effort:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

get-adgroup -identity [groupname] | select-object *

if you meant the guid you can replace the asterisk with objectguid, if you meant the sid you can replace it with sid, but the asterisk will show you all the properties for the group

if you have a group name with a space in it, surround the group with quotes

:patriot: fuckin thanks bru

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
is there a not-shady way to buy a laptop with a busted screen to use as a media pc? (the screen doesn't have to be busted obviously but i assume that will make it cheaper)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
basically mse "fell behind" because a bunch of the other software started doing ovverly aggressive heuristic stuff that doesn't work effectivelly against anything but test sets.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

is there a not-shady way to buy a laptop with a busted screen to use as a media pc? (the screen doesn't have to be busted obviously but i assume that will make it cheaper)

yeah, just go on ebay and search for laptops with broken screens

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

basically mse "fell behind" because a bunch of the other software started doing ovverly aggressive heuristic stuff that doesn't work effectivelly against anything but test sets.

gtk

anyhow i partitioned 60gb (56 formatted) for my win7 install on my macbook air and all i installed so far is base os, mse, vs2013, and sql server 2012 and i'm already out of space after installing all the windows updates and patches lmao

loving ms are assholes for not releasing a second service pack and also a slipstreamed version

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cold on a Cob posted:

loving ms are assholes for not releasing a second service pack and also a slipstreamed version

iirc its because they wanted to get the cjs to move to win8

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

gtk

anyhow i partitioned 60gb (56 formatted) for my win7 install on my macbook air and all i installed so far is base os, mse, vs2013, and sql server 2012 and i'm already out of space after installing all the windows updates and patches lmao

try doing update file cleanup with disk cleanup system files

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

graph posted:

iirc its because they wanted to get the cjs to move to win8

lol

Nintendo Kid posted:

try doing update file cleanup with disk cleanup system files

did that it cleaned up less than 1 gb

also noticed my windows\installer folder is bloated as hell, prob b/c of sql server 2012 and vs2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

also noticed my windows\installer folder is bloated as hell, prob b/c of sql server 2012 and vs2013

gimme a windirstat picture of your drive to diagnose

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

gimme a windirstat picture of your drive to diagnose

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
delete your osx partition to save space

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

delete your osx partition to save space

*laugh track*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i know i could clean up that software distribution folder by turning off auto updates, nuking the data, then turning it back on but other than that i've been lead to believe that deleting poo poo is bad and dangerous

thanks windows

thaows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think the disk cleanup tool is supposed to do that for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah it would be an option in disk clean up called Windows Update cleanup. u may need to run disk cleanup as administrator 2 see it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

Yeah it would be an option in disk clean up called Windows Update cleanup. u may need to run disk cleanup as administrator 2 see it

did this already, it cleaned up less than a gb, brought me from 800mb free to like 1.7gb or something

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

that's a reasonable amount of space to be taken up considering what you installed tbqh

shrink your os x partition

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
did the thing where i turned off windows update, nuked that data, and turned it on again. now i have around 5gb free which is low but manageable i guess

for real i'm considering just leaving my desktop on in the basement and remoting into it from my macbook air it's not like i ever need to study windows dev stuff when i'm travelling or whatever

(or yeah i could just give it more space i guess)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

did the thing where i turned off windows update, nuked that data, and turned it on again. now i have around 5gb free which is low but manageable i guess

for real i'm considering just leaving my desktop on in the basement and remoting into it from my macbook air it's not like i ever need to study windows dev stuff when i'm travelling or whatever

(or yeah i could just give it more space i guess)
lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

agreed, lol that windows plus a few dev tools and ms office take almost 60gb to install

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

agreed, lol that windows plus a few dev tools and ms office take almost 60gb to install

you just installed a whole os, and 3 of the biggest program packages on that os dude.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

you just installed a whole os, and 3 of the biggest program packages on that os dude.

ik, but still, the winsxs and windows\installer folders are combined almost as large as the rest of the os + program files folders. seems pretty bloated to me and my understanding is winsxs is only so big b/c they never rolled updates into an sp2.

luckily i had lots of free disk i could spare since my osx install w/ all my data is less than 100gb so i'm bumping it up vOv

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

ik, but still, the winsxs and windows\installer folders are combined almost as large as the rest of the os + program files folders. seems pretty bloated to me and my understanding is winsxs is only so big b/c they never rolled updates into an sp2.

luckily i had lots of free disk i could spare since my osx install w/ all my data is less than 100gb so i'm bumping it up vOv

winSXS isn't actually that big, it's a lot of symlinks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

a brand new 1TB drive will set you back a whopping fifty dollars

wait you have a macbook air? lmao why are you installing bootcamp and vs and office and sql server on that. lmao

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 8, 2015

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

winSXS isn't actually that big, it's a lot of symlinks.

fair enough, let's just say holy poo poo my windows folder is 30 gb lol and leave it at that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

a brand new 1TB drive will set you back a whopping fifty dollars

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

fair enough, let's just say holy poo poo my windows folder is 30 gb lol and leave it at that

it ain't though. it's somewhere between 22 and 25 gb in actual space used.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

it ain't though. it's somewhere between 22 and 25 gb in actual space used.

:spergin:
:yosbutt:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol

yeah you might want to deflate the installer msi with msiexec /admin [msi location] which will pull the compressed guts out of the install from the installer package database. then you can throw that on a nas or something and it will only keep a small msi file in the installer folder that points to a remote location if it needs to reference it

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Welcome, my friends, to page sixty nine. :dance: :peanut: :69: :yosbutt: :win:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Welcome, my friends, to page sixty nine. :dance: :peanut: :69: :yosbutt: :win:

in it voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ATTN NERDS: recommend a good mouse for me

Must have fwd/back thumb buttons at a minimum, more buttons are welcome too. Must be wireless because I hate the weight of the cord, pref rechargeable.
I don't mind a wacky looking GAMER LIFESTYLE thing but bright lights that can't be disabled are out

Ok go and thx 1136 in adv