Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, please...please make the media ask the other candidates "Donald Trump says that President Obama still has not released his real birth certificate. Do you agree or disagree?"

The only way he could make the RNC's day worse is by reviving birtherism.

I cant wait to see a more moderate republican get destroyed in the primary because he simply says Obama is a US citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

This slack-jawed idiot dropped out and has never held a real job in his life. He thinks he should be President.

Yes, let's save the Executive for the high-pressure crucible that is "community organizer".

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yes, let's save the Executive for the high-pressure crucible that is "community organizer".

Do you believe anything you type, or are you just another tired gimmick?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you care about the college thing then you are dumb

hope this helps you on your journey, all

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spun Dog posted:

Do you believe anything you type, or are you just another tired gimmick?

obvious gimmick poster

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I mean, try and troll better at least? Only freepers think that was Obama's only job.

Hint, Law professor was even mentioned earlier in this thread!

Eonwe posted:

if you care about the college thing then you are dumb

hope this helps you on your journey, all

Quitting any commitment to go be a politician is still kinda scummy. Palin or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i still dont get why you guys dont talk about walker's lovely policies

you could probably set aside the next 20 pages of why he is a lovely person and a bad candidate for president and the fact that he didnt finish college never need be mentioned

like, imagine if we had one election where we talked about the policies more than dumb trivia and trifles about a person

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Eonwe posted:

you could probably set aside the next 20 pages of why he is a lovely person and a bad candidate for president and the fact that he didnt finish college never need be mentioned

like, imagine if we had one election where we talked about the policies more than dumb trivia and trifles about a person

That's intellectual and not headline grabbing. Come on.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

You are a snob, sorry. Lots of people drop out of college for reasons that are perfectly legitimate.

Yes, but how many of them run for president?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've never understood why community organizer was a put down when the poo poo you learn organizing is probably far more beneficial than law professor or running a business or whatever the gently caress when actually trying to be a president

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If you can't finish 4 years of college, how can you hope to finish 4 years of presidency? ! ?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Organizing and coordinating a large number of people in a big city like Chicago...no, that couldn't possibly have any political application at all.

You enormous idiot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eonwe posted:

During the horse race portion it is fun to laugh about the dumb trivia and trifles sometimes, though, particularly when so many candidates are trumpeting them as a part of their brand. When a Presidential candidate does Simpsons quotes in an effort to get himself into the news cycle, it's not the people discussing the trivia that are the problem.

You're largely right about the college thing though, except for your overstatements condemning the very idea of higher education at the undergraduate level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Didnt' mean to condemn higher education as a whole, just that it is very easy to get a degree and really learn nothing if you so choose

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Organizing and coordinating a large number of people in a big city like Chicago...no, that couldn't possibly have any political application at all.

You enormous idiot.

I'm responding to someone who's saying that winning and serving in the State Assembly and Governor equate to "never having a real job".

So I think your actual beef is with that person?

Hope this helps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like Walker is going to get torn to shreds in any debate with a non-moron without extensive coaching.

Lucky him he won't have to do that until the general election.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Community organizing is more often than not really loving difficult and stressful hth

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
the guild wars 2 announcer voice telling hillary "your base is under attack"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
John St. John only charges $50 for thirty seconds of anything you want said in Duke Nukem's voice. How has the Sanders campaign not recorded a "FEEL THE BERN" ad in the voice of Duke yet?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The GOP primary field is full of morons, but I'm pretty sure Walker is the dumbest one. An empty, cheap suit that will fold easily under any kind of real pressure

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Hopefully sooner. He hasn't ever had to answer any kind of question about his record directly. He's shielded by his staff and leaves a lot of the poo poo to fall on the head of the state senate majority leader. For example, the poo poo he pulled trying to exempt deliberations and meetings from open records requests.

quote:

"Legislative leaders let us know that they were interested in making changes to the open records law," Walker's Press Secretary Laurel Patrick said in an email. "In response, our staff provided input regarding these proposed changes."

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said he was also involved in putting together provisions in the state budget that would have exempted records created by state and local elected officials from open records law.

The governor's office said their intent with the changes was the encourage a deliberative process with state agencies in developing policy and legislation.

"This allows for robust debate with state agencies and public employees over the merit of policies and proposed initiatives as they are being formed, while ensuring materials related to final proposals, as well as information related to external stakeholders seeking to influence public policy, would remain fully transparent," Patrick said.

"The intended policy goal of these changes was to provide a reasonable solution to protect constituents' privacy and to encourage a deliberative process between elected officials and their staff in developing policy," the statement said. "It was never intended to inhibit transparent government in any way."

Fitzgerald said he believes there may be an effort to pursue changes to the law in separate legislation.

"But with the environment being as tough as it is right now, I don’t know if it will ever get there," Fitzgerald said Tuesday.

"We're making things more transparent by making them less transparent!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

John St. John only charges $50 for thirty seconds of anything you want said in Duke Nukem's voice. How has the Sanders campaign not recorded a "FEEL THE BERN" ad in the voice of Duke yet?

You could make it happen, Neo Rasa.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Because they have even the tiniest scrap of sense, taste, and decorum?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Because they have even the tiniest scrap of sense, taste, and decorum?

Yeah, unlike their SA fanbase, apparently.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rude

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Zelder posted:

If you can't finish 4 years of college, how can you hope to finish 4 years of presidency? ! ?

I don't want to defend Scott Walker. I think people like him are scum.

College, in most cases, has really become a just another mechanism to reinforce socioeconomic class structures and prevent those in lower quintiles from moving up. For a lot of positions it's little more than a bullet point on a resume. Some people can afford the bullet point, others cannot.

I work in tech, and I'd rather hire someone that dropped out of college to get started in their career (probably because they couldn't afford to remain in college with it being financially responsible), than someone that remained in college (most likely supported by their parents in some way). I've also found that people without degrees that have managed to start and/or make a career are usually very strong candidates for whatever position they're applying for.

Edit:

I'd also like to point out that some degrees, such as Engineering degrees, can act as indicators. But most degrees really are just a bullet point on a resume, and if someone has a more common degree and is quality, the fact that they have a degree usually isn't the reason why.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 8, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
He's not wrong

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, unlike their SA fanbase, apparently.

sounds like a kickstarter to me!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Eonwe posted:

Mostly because it's the primaries still, and the people he's currently running against think his policies are awesome. Walker isn't going to get attacked by Jeb or Carson about union-busting or cutting education - being called out on being a drop-out and never holding a real job is much more fair game. Come the general, totally different story (though I still think that it could be a useful attack tool), that's when you'll actually see someone calling out Walker's poo poo positions.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Dahbadu posted:

I don't want to defend Scott Walker. I think people like him are scum.

College, in most cases, has really become a just another mechanism to reinforce socioeconomic class structures and prevent those in lower quintiles from moving up. For a lot of positions it's little more than a bullet point on a resume. Some people can afford the bullet point, others cannot.

The government still relies on universities for research. Private industry still rely on universities for research. Lack of degree is probably not the greatest indicator for lack of intelligence, there are plenty of worthless universities that will hand you a degree. However, it does show a lack of commitment to something that cannot benefit you in the present tense.

Employers universally recognize college graduates as someone who is more employable and should be paid higher. There are plenty of studies that show high school graduates and dropouts make less than their degree holding counterparts. Someone who does what Scott Walker did either won the lottery or has a serious lack of foresight into consequences in the long term.

On the other hand, make public college free.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Eonwe posted:

While we're in fairytale magic land, why don't we imagine an election where people vote for the person who actually represents their ideals instead of the party affiliation they consider a part of their cultural identity.

I don't know why you're so fervently arguing against something that is completely relevant to his electability. If Walker goes to the general, his lack of a college degree will be brought up by, at the very least, the media, and his campaign might even use it as a way to paint him as an everyman political outsider.

It's not just some non-issue people are bringing up to be mean to Scott Walker.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Ah yes. A man who graduated from Columbia and Harvard, then taught law school for twelve years before going into politics is totally equivalent to a C+ student who dropped out of college to go right into office.

C'mon man, you're a lovely gimmick but this one was tired eight years ago and can be shot down with under a minute's worth of fact-checking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

While we're in fairytale magic land, why don't we imagine an election where people vote for the person who actually represents their ideals instead of the party affiliation they consider a part of their cultural identity.

I don't know why you're so fervently arguing against something that is completely relevant to his electability. If Walker goes to the general, his lack of a college degree will be brought up by, at the very least, the media, and his campaign might even use it as a way to paint him as an everyman political outsider.

It's not just some non-issue people are bringing up to be mean to Scott Walker.

it is a non-issue, actually

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Job Truniht posted:

The government still relies on universities for research. Private industry still rely on universities for research.

Agree.

quote:

Lack of degree is probably not the greatest indicator for lack of intelligence, there are plenty of worthless universities that will hand you a degree.

Agree.

quote:

However, it does show a lack of commitment to something that cannot benefit you in the present tense.

Strongly disagree, at least for those existing in families (immediate and extended) in the lower economic qunitiles.

quote:

Employers universally recognize college graduates as someone who is more employable and should be paid higher. There are plenty of studies that show high school graduates and dropouts make less than their degree holding counterparts.

Agree that employers do this and I agree people with degrees make more money. However, that doesn't mean it's fair or a good practice, especially given the state of higher ed.

quote:

On the other hand, make public college free.

God yes, this!

OK, enough of this derail. Back to discussing the election! I just hope we can avoid using Walker's lack of a degree as some personality failing on his part. Even if he came from a middle class family, and therefore didn't really have a reason to drop out, the fact that he managed to become a governor (be it a horrible evil piece of poo poo governor) of a state is pretty impressive.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you care about the degree thing then lol, really

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It sounds to me like Scott Walker thought he was too good for college. What a snob. Also, how many people can afford that?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ladies and gentlemen, please! I think we can all agree that after Scott Walker is made to look like a dumb rear end in a top hat in the debates for our amusement he should fall into a hole somewhere and die!

In the spirit of compromise I ask you all- can't we agree on this one thing? gently caress you Scott Walker? You Piece of poo poo?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dahbadu posted:

Strongly disagree, at least for those existing in families (immediate and extended) in the lower economic qunitiles.

Guess what? Walker's family sure as poo poo wasn't. Especially since they got him the connections to get into office at age 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, please! I think we can all agree that after Scott Walker is made to look like a dumb rear end in a top hat in the debates for our amusement he should fall into a hole somewhere and die!

In the spirit of compromise I ask you all- can't we agree on this one thing? gently caress you Scott Walker? You Piece of poo poo?

You're insulting loving and poo poo. :colbert:

• Locked thread