Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wahh, too bad Nexplanon isn't available in Canada. I'd be interesting in trying it, otherwise. I'll probably ask about Mirena, but at the same time I might just go back to condoms for a while because I'm sick of trying things that affect my mood/weight that might not turn out.

vaguely posted:

If you're not actively trying to prevent pregnancy right now, there's no problem at all with just stopping your pill whenever. It might take a couple weeks for your hormones to sort themselves out though.

Thanks, my med experiences before Oral BC was all anti-depressants and since Effexor I've been really... cautious about stopping meds. (Not including like antibiotics, or other short term things)

Though, when people talk about their periods getting lighter, what are they like? When I started Yaz, my periods got lighter flow wise... into a sticky, boogery, awful mess that stank. Cramps got awful and heavy, and mood got really, really bad on my periods. Now that I've been off of Lolo I've had a much more normal period and I forgot how 'nice' my regular periods... well for a period. Minimal cramps and very predictable flow/onset.

I even stopped using my Diva Cup because my periods stank so badly and I was worried something gross would happen? Also its hard to get out when it isn't weighed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
In my 10 years on Lo-Ovral, my periods got shorter, ~3 - 4 days, and like only one day (sometimes less) worth of "change your tampon every 2-3 hours" flow. Before the pill, my periods were 6-7 days of "get your surfboards, it's gettin' real".

I just passed my 3 year mark with my Mirena, and only had one period 2 weeks after I got it. I spot lightly every once in a while but it's never even enough to stain my underloons. Some other lady pals with Mirena say they have a few days of spotting to very light flow each month'ish.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jyrraeth posted:

Though, when people talk about their periods getting lighter, what are they like?

I had the Nexplanon inserted when I was on my period in November, and then I bled continuously until two weeks ago. It was a slow, steady trickle, I would fill up half a lunette cup in 24 hrs, but I never saw any weird lumpy bits or discharge. The doctor called it "spotting" but I don't like the term because it implies irregularity. I started getting paranoid that using a cup nonstop for months straight would ruin my vag or something but it appears to be fine! :shlick: Honestly, the spotting wasn't really that bad (although if I were a woman who had never heard of a menstrual cup I think it would have driven me batty) it was the mood swings. If you respond well to hormonal birth control it might be the thing for you.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone have any experiences to share about being on hormones for many years and then going off them? I've been taking birth control since I was 15 and I think when I get my Nexplanon removed I'm gonna stop for awhile.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Hummingbirds posted:

Anyone have any experiences to share about being on hormones for many years and then going off them? I've been taking birth control since I was 15 and I think when I get my Nexplanon removed I'm gonna stop for awhile.

I actually gained about 10 lbs, and my complexion went to poo poo. Other than that, neither I nor my husband noticed any appreciable changes in my mood or energy levels when I went off oral BC. I had been on hormonal birth control for about 15 years at that point.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm about to start taking Caziant and was wondering if anyone had much experience with it and how it affected your sex drive? I've struggled forever with having ZERO sex drive. Some people said I needed to try a higher hormone pill, others said lower hormone, I have no idea which is correct, or maybe it just depends on the individual. I've tried higher hormone pills (Ortho-cyclen) and they did jack poo poo for me - if anything I feel like my sex drive was slightly worse. I've been off the pill completely since October (moved away from boyfriend for work, was curious to see how no pill affected things) and my sex drive has definitely been better. Nothing phenomenal, but definitely the best it's ever been. Boyfriend will be visiting in a month so it's time to hop back on the pill train. I know the pill affects folks differently, but I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with Caziant so I may have an idea what I'm in for. After this I may look into a copper IUD, if anyone wants to share their experience with those as well.

Edit:

Hummingbirds posted:

I'd basically been on the pill from age 17 to 25. Like I said above, I stopped this past October. Can't say there have been any earth-shattering differences. My period seems slightly different, nothing major. Weirdly enough I feel like I've been slightly more emotional. I normally don't cry easily, but since quitting I seem to get teary-eyed over stupid stuff more easily and have weird bouts of emotion that my robotic self normally didn't have before. Haven't really noticed a difference in weight/complexion/etc. My sex drive is definitely better though. So I wouldn't say my body is like "OH GOD WHAT'S GOING ON WHY DID IT STOP," but there were some minor noticeable changes.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 30, 2015

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

my sex drive was dead as anything on both pills I've been on (Microgynon, which also made me suicidally depressed so I came off it, and another with a name I can't remember), but after a year on Mirena (hormonal IUD) I'm just as horny as I was without birth control

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I hadn't realized how much the pill had squashed my libido until I got my Mirena. I'm like a 24-7 randy goat. Which makes my partner's ED even more unfortunate.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hummingbirds posted:

I was only on them for about 4 years, but when I went off the pill I mainly got a lot of acne, got kind of moody and my libido suddenly skyrocketed. This went on for about 2-3 weeks and then evened out so I didn't feel like a super-horny zitty teen anymore. :v:

Skizzles posted:

I'm about to start taking Caziant and was wondering if anyone had much experience with it and how it affected your sex drive? I've struggled forever with having ZERO sex drive. Some people said I needed to try a higher hormone pill, others said lower hormone, I have no idea which is correct, or maybe it just depends on the individual. I've tried higher hormone pills (Ortho-cyclen) and they did jack poo poo for me - if anything I feel like my sex drive was slightly worse. I've been off the pill completely since October (moved away from boyfriend for work, was curious to see how no pill affected things) and my sex drive has definitely been better. Nothing phenomenal, but definitely the best it's ever been. Boyfriend will be visiting in a month so it's time to hop back on the pill train. I know the pill affects folks differently, but I just wanted to hear other people's experiences with Caziant so I may have an idea what I'm in for. After this I may look into a copper IUD, if anyone wants to share their experience with those as well.

For whatever it's worth, when I complained about this issue to my doctor, she specifically recommended a pill with higher estrogen. Which did help me out, but I still had a lower libido than I do completely off the pill. I have a copper IUD so I'm happy to answer questions about that for you. I've also posted about it a ton in the thread.

Quincy
Mar 12, 2012
So, Paragard - this is my experience, and what a trial it has been.

Since I was 15, I have tried three different types of birth control - all hormonal pill types, and each different. After symptoms like having worse cramps while on my period and crazy mood swings, it was decided that hormones just don't work for me. I didn't use any birth control for about 2 years.

In August 2014, I had the Paragard inserted. I went to the doctor for a general check up, asked about Paragard, and they scheduled me for insertion the next morning. After it was inserted, the doctor tells me that it could take about 3 months for my body to get adjusted. I was bleeding every day after insertion. Finally, I'd had enough - right before Thanksgiving, I asked to have it removed. Well - the bleeding didn't stop. I actually ended up in the ER because of severe heavy bleeding once. In February, I was finally able to see a gynecologist. He prescribed a 10-day hormone regiment. This did make it stop, all the way until May, when the constant bleeding began again and it wouldn't (and still hasn't) let up. I went back to see this gynecologist around the middle of June, when he decided to prescribe me the hormone medicine again, but have me take it 10 days of every month for the next three months. I took my ten days' worth this month (June 17-26) and am experiencing very heavy bleeding - like super-tampon every 2 hours, minimum, for the past couple of days.

This coming August will make be the one year anniversary of that insertion - and every time I think about it, I think I'd have rather stuck a sword up my vagina than Paragard, because this past year has SUCKED. Being a young twenty-something should not involve ruining your new underwear, dresses, car seat, sheets, etc., and having to constantly worry about it every time you get stuck in a meeting that's running an hour over. You can forget about having sleepovers and going over to other people's houses. Plus, it's expensive - tampons and pads are priced ridiculously high, of course. I would be donating to a worthy cause, but sorry, I've got tampons to buy. That's another thing - I never, ever wore pads before, but I totally have to now, and it just feels like I'm wearing a diaper all the time.

I'm at my wit's end with it - it's brought on depression, self-esteem issues (because how could you ever feel confident or sexy?), and I really miss the freedom of being able to do whatever I want to do without having to worry about bleeding through a super-tampon and maxi-pad. I can't even exercise or strain myself for very long, because it makes the flow heavier! And I've never wanted to have sex while on my period, so it's been like...months. MONTHS. (Mad props to my honey that's stuck with me this long through all this.) So I'm just sitting over here asking myself how we could put a man on the moon in 1969, and yet no one can get my lady parts in a manageable cycle in 2015.

My gynecologist thinks that I just so happened to have hormonal issues at the same time of the insertion, causing my cycle to get all out of sorts. However, I'm just not sold on that big of a coincidence. I've read other stories like mine online with just a quick Google search, and I don't know what to do if my gynecologist (who is an extremely vocal advocate of Paragard) doesn't even want to consider this possibility. I've had an ultrasound, lots of blood tests, and thorough examinations - nothing else seems to be abnormal, other than this constant period. (I've been calling it an ellipses...because it just won't end.) Sure, it makes sense that if the Paragard had been a factor, the bleeding would have stopped after its removal - so the fact that the bleeding didn't stop after its removal is the major sign that my gynecologist keeps referring to when trying to persuade me that there is no real connection between the two. I just wish I could find a gynecologist who would let me just do a partial hysterectomy so I could just get rid of the whole thing - of course I'm too young for that to even be an option at most reputable places, but seriously - never having children is a better option than what I've had to go through.

If you're considering Paragard, DEFINITELY do your reading - I wish I had done more before. If my situation really is unrelated to Paragard, then I guess I just got 'lucky'. Regardless, until I get this figured out, I'd rather share my story to make you all aware just in case. Any helpful thoughts or feedback would be appreciated of course, but if I can just make anyone rethink Paragard, then my job here is done.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else, you need to get a second (or third) opinion. Sounds like your current gyno is 'meh' on this.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Quincy posted:

... but if I can just make anyone rethink Paragard, then my job here is done.

If you make anyone rethink Paragard based on this information, you've done them a great disservice. You haven't presented any evidence other than the timing which should make anyone believe your Paragard is responsible.

Please come back once you've seen a new doctor who can identify your problem and treat or cure it.

My non-doctor thoughts: you said you were off hormones for 2 years before you got your Paragard. Going straight from hormones to Paragard makes it hard to distinguish what is because of the lack of hormones and what is the Paragard. That doesn't seem to be your case though.

If it's a reaction to a foreign body, it should have stopped soon after removal. I have no idea how soon that should be.

If you had some sort of rupture or cyst, that seems like it should show up on an ultrasound.

What else could it possibly be?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Quincy posted:

Plus, it's expensive - tampons and pads are priced ridiculously high, of course. I would be donating to a worthy cause, but sorry, I've got tampons to buy.

Dude, menstrual cup. Buy one. Kiss tampons goodbye.

Also possibly switch to cloth pads?
But menstrual cup, for realz.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Scudworth posted:

Dude, menstrual cup. Buy one. Kiss tampons goodbye.

Also possibly switch to cloth pads?
But menstrual cup, for realz.

I have been trying to convince myself to go cup ever since I switched to paraguard and my periods have been heavy as butts, any specific one you recommend? I'm terrified of making a mess of myself but I'm so tempted. There are only so many super jumbo tampons one can scour amazon prime for before getting frustrated.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Related, but has anyone ever heard of these?

http://www.shethinx.com/

They're supposed to work with tampons and cups, but I can't use both of those things. :saddowns: I was thinking of ordering a pair anyways. Do they work well with pads?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ilysespieces posted:

I have been trying to convince myself to go cup ever since I switched to paraguard and my periods have been heavy as butts, any specific one you recommend? I'm terrified of making a mess of myself but I'm so tempted. There are only so many super jumbo tampons one can scour amazon prime for before getting frustrated.

Get whichever one fits your price range and has agreeable shipping to you.
Their differences are minimal and only really become apparent when you get used to using one and try other kinds, if ever.

Just get the larger size of whatever brand.

You can use pads as a backup while you get through the learning curve (or all the time if you have a heavy flow like I did).

Before ending my period w/ birth control I used a cup for 10 years. Best purchase EVER.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 30, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Scudworth posted:

Get whichever one fits your price range and has agreeable shipping to you.
Their differences are minimal and only really become apparent when you get used to using one and try other kinds, if ever.

Just get the larger size of whatever brand.

You can use pads as a backup while you get through the learning curve (or all the time if you have a heavy flow like I did).

Awesome, thanks. I am gonna look into a few and hopefully take the plunge into the world of cups soon.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ilysespieces posted:

Awesome, thanks. I am gonna look into a few and hopefully take the plunge into the world of cups soon.

Make sure you break that seal though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Quincy posted:

If you're considering Paragard, DEFINITELY do your reading - I wish I had done more before. If my situation really is unrelated to Paragard, then I guess I just got 'lucky'. Regardless, until I get this figured out, I'd rather share my story to make you all aware just in case. Any helpful thoughts or feedback would be appreciated of course, but if I can just make anyone rethink Paragard, then my job here is done.

You most likely got "lucky" because like your doctor says, if Paragard had been the cause it would have gone away eventually after the IUD was removed. It doesn't have hormones in it so I don't even see how it would be possible for it to make you irregular during or after it's gone. It really sounds like you have other health problems going on. I've had one for almost 3 years now and never missed a period, never had one come more than a few days "off schedule," definitely haven't had non-stop bleeding, etc. I really haven't heard of that from anyone else who wasn't also having other issues.

It's really the greatest birth control I've ever had and I feel like it's a shame so many women who really struggle with hormonal methods don't know about it. So I don't think it's a great idea to go around trying to dissuade people like that, especially when you really don't know for sure what's going on yet.

Geolicious posted:

Make sure you break that seal though.

That's true, we've had at least one poster who pulled her Mirena out that way. :gonk:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Kimmalah posted:

For whatever it's worth, when I complained about this issue to my doctor, she specifically recommended a pill with higher estrogen. Which did help me out, but I still had a lower libido than I do completely off the pill. I have a copper IUD so I'm happy to answer questions about that for you. I've also posted about it a ton in the thread.

Yeah the folks at Planned Parenthood were baffled when I said some people recommended lower hormone stuff, because they said higher hormone is what I needed. Have you had any issues with the copper IUD?

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Skizzles posted:

After this I may look into a copper IUD, if anyone wants to share their experience with those as well.

Quincy posted:

Quincy, I think your situation is rare, and maybe Paragard just isn't right for you or there is something else going on? I think for any form of BC, if you're still having serious issues after 2 months, it's time to try something else regardless of what your gyno says. No point in sticking it out for a year if it's causing you that much trouble.

I've had Paragard for 5 years now. It's the only BC I've used and I don't plan to ever use anything else since I've never taken hormonal BC and never want to. I'd consider Mirena for a future IUD, but after hearing about the thicker, pokier strings I'm not so sure.

Paragard #1: I was 19 or 20 at the time. The insertion was done by a new gyno who was a dude (since I wanted it done before my boyfriend moved up to live with me and the women gynos all had a 3 month waiting list), but it was supervised by an older lady gyno. It was a little nerve-wracking and the insertion itself just felt like a lot of intense pressure for a few minutes, but it was a very short procedure that was over pretty quickly. I bled lightly and had cramps for a few days afterwards, but nothing too bad. Before Paragard, my periods were light (3-4 days); after insertion, they became somewhat heavier and longer (~5-6 days) with slightly worse cramps but it really was no big deal since I had relatively mild periods to begin with. It cost ~$500 while I was on my college's mandatory health insurance.

Paragard #2: A few years later, at 23, my new gyno noticed the IUD had "expelled" somewhat, meaning it was sticking partially out of my cervix. She said it was probably still effective, but that I should get it removed and replaced to ensure total effectiveness. She recommended that I stick with Paragard since it had worked so well for me the first time around. I was super nervous for the insertion this time around, I have no idea why. I think reading so many horror stories online made me worried. The insertion went really really smoothly, I only felt cramps for a day, bled a tiny bit, and ended up working a full day afterwards with no issues aside from some cramps. It's been a year since I got #2 and I haven't seen any changes in cramping or my periods, it's been the same as it was #1. This one cost me $0, thanks Obama. :patriot:

My only complaint is the strings have poked my boyfriend on occasion--he says it doesn't happen very often, maybe a few times a year? I've left my strings long and tried to curl them up but I think it depends on where I'm at in my cycle and whether my cervix has shifted down at all. I also think this will improve with time as the strings soften more, I had my strings checked out recently and the nurse practitioner said they looked good. He also hasn't complained about it for at least a few months so maybe I'm in the clear now? The pluses are huge: I literally never think about pregnancy or worry about it; it lasts 10 years, so by the time it's ready to come out it'll be perfect timing for when I'm deciding to have a kid or not; no hormones; and for me, fairly minimal impact to my menstrual cycle and cramps. That said, I think if you have a heavy period to start, it might not be the best choice.

E: grammar

dead lettuce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 6, 2015

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
My GF is now back from across the planet after an extended trip and so her "pill taking" time is now off by 16 hours from what it was a week ago. How long until we can consider the pill working 100% again?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

hobbez posted:

My GF is now back from across the planet after an extended trip and so her "pill taking" time is now off by 16 hours from what it was a week ago. How long until we can consider the pill working 100% again?

Assuming it's a combined OCP, should be fine without needing backup.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Skizzles posted:

Yeah the folks at Planned Parenthood were baffled when I said some people recommended lower hormone stuff, because they said higher hormone is what I needed. Have you had any issues with the copper IUD?

I haven't had any issues beyond the stuff the always warn you about - the first few months with the IUD I had really heavy periods and stronger cramps than I'd ever had. But after a few months things calmed down so now. Things are still a little on the heavy side but I don't really get the cramps much at all. When I did, heat or ibuprofen was enough to handle it. Pretty much everything has been an improvement - no more migraines, no more monthly yeast infections and my sex drive came back. :yay:

Otherwise I honestly don't even notice it and just feel like myself (the pill always made me feel really weird). My partner's never noticed it either.

hobbez posted:

Sometimes if I wanted to change my pill time, I would just push it forward by a hour or so everyday until I got to my new time. If she's on a combination pill (as in it has both estrogen and progestin), they're relatively forgiving in that sense. But if you really don't want to risk it, she could just skip straight to her preferred time and you can just use condoms or abstain for 7 days.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Quincy posted:

I did my reading and i've had my paragard since I was 22 - 5 years ago now. I started on the pill was I was 14 to control my miserable bleeding and pain. Turns out my birth control was making me horribly depressed and I jumped from BC to BC yearly until I was 21 when I tried nuvaring and I felt a million times better but I realized with my doctor that eliminating hormones totally could help me even more. And so I went with paragard. It was the best decision i've ever made and I still maintain it to be so. As i've gotten older my periods have gotten better. They are longer which is a bit annoying, 7 days instead of 5, but the bleeding has normalized.

Everyone's reaction to every birthcontrol is different. Just because you had a bad experience with paragard which may be unrelated doesn't mean you should try to get other women to avoid it. Just because BC made me want to slit my wrists, doesn't mean I tell other women to not try BC.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Really I read way too much before I got my Paragard, to the point that I was terrified about all the ways it might even remotely go wrong/badly.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Really I read way too much before I got my Paragard, to the point that I was terrified about all the ways it might even remotely go wrong/badly.

Same here. The good stories are constantly drowned out by the myriad "my uterus has so many holes poked in it you can use it as a strainer and it expelled so horrifically that I now walk with a permanent limp and have to sit sideways to pee because my whole anatomy has been rearranged" horror stories. I like to share my experience because it's good and people like to complain and rant more than they like to rave.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ilysespieces posted:

Same here. The good stories are constantly drowned out by the myriad "my uterus has so many holes poked in it you can use it as a strainer and it expelled so horrifically that I now walk with a permanent limp and have to sit sideways to pee because my whole anatomy has been rearranged" horror stories. I like to share my experience because it's good and people like to complain and rant more than they like to rave.

The good thing about working retail is that it teaches you that people will tell everyone everything horrible they've ever experienced and most will never say a single peep if they get extraordinary service and never will anyone talk about their satisfactory service.

It really teaches healthy filtering.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I called a friend with Paragard the night before my Mirena insertion and was like OH GOD IM GOING TO DIE and she was like "girl get off the internet and have a beer and go to bed".

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm going to be getting one this week. I only recently made the connection between moderate to severe depression in the last six months to being on birth control for six months. It was the only hormonal birth control left to try, as I can't go on the combined one. After being on the minipill, I'm just sort of off hormonal BC for now. I just found out copper IUDs are pretty cheap here, so I will also be joining the ranks of IUD-havers. It's really nice to hear some success stories, so thanks, everyone.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yep, it was like, oh hey I gained 10 lbs and started to want to kill myself starting 9 months ago...coincidentally when I had the nexplanon inserted!

I still need to take the plunge and order the fuckin' copper IUD. I just hate the idea of paying $900 up front that I *might* not get back.

Rhythm method, anyone? :unsmigghh:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
It's taken a lot of persistence, but I've finally found a unicorn: a gyno willing to tie my 29 year old, childless tubes. He only asked a few questions, most of them medical, before agreeing to do the surgery. When I told him how shocking that was he looked at me like I was the idiot and said "it's your body, it's your decision." :eyepop:

Now I'm scheduled for a "laparoscopic bilateral tubal ligation with fulguration of oviducts," whatever that means. Until then I'm spending all of my free time gloating to my friends and googling "risk of ectopic pregnancy after tubal ligation" in a panic at 2:00am. If anyone has any general advice or encouraging stories to share my nerves would appreciate it, though I imagine the ladies who have had successful tubals are probably too busy feeling free and getting laid to post in this thread.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

My mom had one with zero complications. She's the only one I can think of off the top of my head who did, but I actually don't often hear many horror stores about TL, to be honest, other than occasional reversals (which again, seem to be super rare).

edit: Yeah, rhythm method sounds almost appealing when you consider the price/side effects/bother of everything else. I wish I could just shout "NO" at my uterus and have it shut off for a while.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Rhythm method sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, taking your temperature and checking mucus and stuff every day.

Let us know how the tubal goes! I've wanted one forever, but now I'm thinking if I get one, insurance might not keep covering my beloved Nexplanon.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

I imagine the ladies who have had successful tubals are probably too busy feeling free and getting laid to post in this thread.

Yes that, but I also use birth control to completely stop my period now too so I'm in here anyway hello friend.

I had my tubal @25, my post about it in this thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382303&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post418413431

I have no tips other than it was the greatest day of my life, waking up sterile, and you're going to develop a huge yellow bruise under your navel that they never told me about so be ready for that. Recovery was uhhhhh recovery, stay lying down. Prepare for farts that smell like hairspray as the gas leaves your abdomen!
I'd still do it all over again if I had to. That was 9 years ago.

Your risk of ectopic pregnancy is greatest in the first 2 years. But stop googling this. It's one of the most performed surgeries in the world.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Scudworth posted:

Yes that, but I also use birth control to completely stop my period now too so I'm in here anyway hello friend.

I had my tubal @25, my post about it in this thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382303&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post418413431

I have no tips other than it was the greatest day of my life, waking up sterile, and you're going to develop a huge yellow bruise under your navel that they never told me about so be ready for that. Recovery was uhhhhh recovery, stay lying down. Prepare for farts that smell like hairspray as the gas leaves your abdomen!
I'd still do it all over again if I had to. That was 9 years ago.

Your risk of ectopic pregnancy is greatest in the first 2 years. But stop googling this. It's one of the most performed surgeries in the world.

The post about your experience was super helpful, thank you for that! I had a pretty devastating emergency gallbladder surgery situation last year (it exploded). Lots of complications, 5 month recovery time, etc, so I'm looking forward to seeing what a relatively easy non-emergency surgery is like. Can't wait to wake up sterile. :hf:

My gyno offered to do that thing where they cauterize the inside of your uterus so you never get another period again, which sounds metal af. I opted out of that this time, but he said to just let him know if I decide to get it later. Is that not an option for you?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

My gyno offered to do that thing where they cauterize the inside of your uterus so you never get another period again, which sounds metal af. I opted out of that this time, but he said to just let him know if I decide to get it later. Is that not an option for you?

That's called endometrial ablation (one brand name is Novasure) and it's cons outweigh the pros for me, specifically that if it's done when you're pre-40 there's a chance that drat uterus heals itself and you need it burned out again.
That and descriptions of the smell because you're awake for it. Nope for me.
:barf:

It's gonna be my last resort only if this birth control thing doesn't work out.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Scudworth posted:

That's called endometrial ablation (one brand name is Novasure) and it's cons outweigh the pros for me, specifically that if it's done when you're pre-40 there's a chance that drat uterus heals itself and you need it burned out again.

It heals itself?! Goddamn that thing is resilient. I hear that not only is the smell amazing, but you menstruate scabs for a few weeks after. :black101:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Scudworth posted:

Thanks for posting your story! Next month I'm heading to the doctor to see about having this done. Not really because of any problems with the Paragard - it's what I've always wanted but I'm just now at an age where I think doctors might take me seriously about it and have health insurance that will cover it. The only downside is I live in a state that has a required 30 day waiting period between signing the consent forms and surgery. :sigh: I'm kind of hoping they just take the tubes out entirely, since I have irrational amounts of anxiety about the remote chance they can link back together in some way and it apparently massively reduces your risk of ovarian cancer (that I'm probably high risk for).

Scudworth, did you have to do much before the surgery? I know sometimes you have to have pre-op testing and all kinds of stuff. I'd like to maybe go out of town or something during the stupid waiting period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

Scudworth, did you have to do much before the surgery? I know sometimes you have to have pre-op testing and all kinds of stuff. I'd like to maybe go out of town or something during the stupid waiting period.

YMMV, but all I had to do was have a routine gyno exam and a Pap smear. They waited for the results to come back as normal before scheduling the surgery, and that was it. I have a pre-op appointment to go over the basic logistics of what happens on surgery day, but no testing beyond the routine exam/pap.

• Locked thread