Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I felt like Asylum told the best You Are Batman story. It was like Serious House on Serious Earth, but with more mutant monsters and less poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

You could always give it to a QA house that would test it on various configurations.

Why Rocksteady didn't do that to ensure a good PC version is a mystery.

There's a quote that says they didn't want to spoil their great story. So there's that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

You could always give it to a QA house that would test it on various configurations.
And then you have to fix them. I mean, they cheaped out, but that's why the development house had problems. They likely didn't have time/funds to actually adaquately test a bunch of configurations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Why Rocksteady didn't do that to ensure a good PC version is a mystery.

I suspect the more likely thing is that they *did*, and absolutely knew the PC version was borked, and for one reason and another, group-thinked their way into regarding things as 'good enough', or were pressured into it (while peons who knew the score, but couldn't make things change course, lopped years off their life through stress :stare: )

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

I felt like Asylum told the best You Are Batman story. It was like Serious House on Serious Earth, but with more mutant monsters and less poo poo.

I found Asylum difficult to go back to purely because of the underwear outfit. I know that's such a stupid thing to get annoyed by, but the bulky Bat Armour is stuck in my head and I can't take any other costume seriously. :v:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ShineDog posted:

Suicide Squad seems like the best choice for a game after this. DC has a videogame problem that marvel doesn't really share where the characters the mainstream really knows are pretty much Batman, Batfamily, or ridiculously powered gods who probably don't make for the best games.

Why not a Green Arrow game? Personally I'd love to swing around Star City as Oliver Queen, and regardless of how you feel about the series on CW, it familiarized a lot more people with him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SonicRulez posted:

Definitely. Batman works best when when he's either in a tight location with a tight plot (like Arkham) or if he's given room to breathe and investigate so the plot can play out over the course of weeks (stuff like The Long Halloween and Hush). Asylum was the one that really felt like playing through a Batman comic. City and Knight are great (and I personally think City's plot is awesome in a lot of ways), but they're open world videogames starring Batman and pals, rather than full on Batman 'experiences'.

I have no idea how they'd do it but I'd have so loved to see a real mystery plot Batman game where he goes about as Bruce Wayne having parties and poo poo and meeting the Commish for chats and visiting Arkham to interrogate other other villains and following leads over the course of a month. I guess the day/night cycle would be pretty impossible to get around in a Batman game though. I don't know... Even just having the Batman open world gameplay happen at night and limiting daytime stuff to cutscenes and slower plot moments could have been interesting.

Basically I want Batman LA Noire with one case to solve and for it to be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I almost wish that instead of big 'epic' games they went for smaller episodic DLC using the same systems but with different plots and gimmicks. That would never be cost-effective but I think it would feel better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Definitely. Batman works best when when he's either in a tight location with a tight plot (like Arkham) or if he's given room to breathe and investigate so the plot can play out over the course of weeks (stuff like The Long Halloween and Hush). Asylum was the one that really felt like playing through a Batman comic. City and Knight are great (and I personally think City's plot is awesome in a lot of ways), but they're open world videogames starring Batman and pals, rather than full on Batman 'experiences'.

I have no idea how they'd do it but I'd have so loved to see a real mystery plot Batman game where he goes about as Bruce Wayne having parties and poo poo and meeting the Commish for chats and visiting Arkham to interrogate other other villains and following leads over the course of a month. I guess the day/night cycle would be pretty impossible to get around in a Batman game though. I don't know... Even just having the Batman open world gameplay happen at night and limiting daytime stuff to cutscenes and slower plot moments could have been interesting.

Use the Persona system. Limit the overarching plot to a certain amount of time. You have a limited amount of things you can do each night, split between investigating the main crime, patrolling the streets, dealing with side villains and checking in on the Batfam. Just like a month-long story where you have the whole of Gotham open to you, but you can only visit a certain number of locations each night and do the thing there is to do there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mr E posted:

There's a quote that says they didn't want to spoil their great story. So there's that.

I think this is the only PS4 game I've played that specifically blocks streaming recording over two endgame spoilers. You can even trigger it repeatedly if you go in and out of the last scarecrow place. It's kinda jarring and I really don't get why they bothered since all it would do is slow spoilers down by 30 seconds at best. It's like Mulholland Drive having nudity blurred on the dvd because Lynch didn't want celeb nude sites posting images; it's like, way too late man.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I found the Music Meister's music store. I thought that was cool.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

I almost wish that instead of big 'epic' games they went for smaller episodic DLC using the same systems but with different plots and gimmicks. That would never be cost-effective but I think it would feel better.

Steve2911 posted:

Yes. It would be great to have more mini-arcs instead of "Every villain ever is out and Batman is going to take down his entire Rogue's Gallery single-handed in a couple hours." They could give us something as big as Knight, but only give us certain things to do in a night. One night you have to track down Penguin. Then another you're after Bane. Occasionally you bring Robin. I agree that The Long Halloween would make for a great detective story even if it doesn't meet the Mook Punching Quota. Day time segments as Bruce Wayne would've been really creative as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Day time segments as Bruce Wayne would've been really creative as well.

You have THREE micro-naps remaining. Use?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Joker hanging out with you throughout the game was a bigger spoiler than Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight, in my opinion

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calaveron posted:

The Joker hanging out with you throughout the game was a bigger spoiler than Jason Todd being the Arkham Knight, in my opinion

I'm amazed at how little I've seen it plastered all over the internet. It's the main plot of the drat game! Scarecrow is basically just there to set it in motion and the Knight is there to add some conflict and background to the whole thing.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Steve2911 posted:

I'm amazed at how little I've seen it plastered all over the internet. It's the main plot of the drat game! Scarecrow is basically just there to set it in motion and the Knight is there to add some conflict and background to the whole thing.

The only reason the Arkham Knight is in the game is so they could continue using the Arkham brand.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 8, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Steve2911 posted:

It's because these games have really been about the Joker all along. And because Todd hasn't been in any of the Arkham games, not even mentioned a single time, so all of the people who don't read the comics would look at the spoiler and go "uh... who?"

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a particular common source for all of these release glitch problems? On one level, it seems like graphics are a major problem source every year for every AAA game, but some of these games seem to also have deeper mechanical problems. Is this the new normal, a product of increasing hardware and graphics demands?

I've worked at and with a bunch of game developers. Every single one is terrible at planning, scheduling and QA. People want to work on the new fun fancy stuff, and no one wants to hear "no you can't do that thing you are interested in because the game is currently a buggy piece of poo poo. Fix it."

Plus they burn their people out and hire new grads to do actual work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

That is actually true to the comics though. Actually less in the Nu52 where he's somehow had 4 Robins in only a handful of years.

Comics are weird, man.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Man I'm gonna be disappointed if the Freeze DLC boss fight isn't just a ridiculously bigger version of the AC fight

Mr. Freeze has a giant ice tank. Shoot it with the Batmobile. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 8, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mr. Freeze has a giant ice tank. Shoot it with the Batmobile. :shepicide:

Didn't Freeze have a huge icetank in Batman and Robin? YES THIS IS AWESOME ICE TO MEET YOU

poo poo yes give me a dual predator room with Robin STAY COOL BIRD BOY

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I think these games really could do with not all being one night affairs.

If say for instance if crimes had ideal and obvious orders to be tackled in (like in this game the third firehouse burns for a good 3rd the game if you do them as available, catwoman's just chilling in an empty room listening to riddler talk his head off with a bomb around her neck, the serial murderer has enough time to scope out victims and place new ones)

If it was more everyday batman the detective, stopping the fires first, preventing as many of the serial murders as possible using clues that become more obvious the more you go forward and 'fail' to prevent some (even having like the big bads location switching between play throughs), having small optional crimes to solve for bonus experience and gadgets.

It feels like the 'this all happened in one night' narrative kinda hurts a lot of potentially cool possibilities.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

poptart_fairy posted:

I found Asylum difficult to go back to purely because of the underwear outfit. I know that's such a stupid thing to get annoyed by, but the bulky Bat Armour is stuck in my head and I can't take any other costume seriously. :v:

I've been playing NG+ with the Adam West outfit and it's loving hilarious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Didn't Freeze have a huge icetank in Batman and Robin? YES THIS IS AWESOME ICE TO MEET YOU

Yeah, this thing on the right.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SectumSempra posted:

It feels like the 'this all happened in one night' narrative kinda hurts a lot of potentially cool possibilities.
The main reason for it is to have a reasonably abandoned Gotham.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

The main reason for it is to have a reasonably abandoned Gotham.

It feels like night time in gotham city is enough reason for there to be very few citizens out.

a not abandoned gotham actually gives a reason to care about those groups of thugs who give no experience on the street.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I'd unironically love for an Arnold Freeze encounter complete with ice tank and an ice rink battle. there's a WB precedent set for the Carl Weathers DLC in MKX. loving do it WB.

COOL PARTY

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SectumSempra posted:

It feels like night time in gotham city is enough reason for there to be very few citizens out.
That downtown times-square-esque area would be slammed at all times of day.

I don't know what they'll do in future games - you absolutely can't give Batman full control to drive wherever he wants AND have innocent pedestrians, and if they keep evacuating everything it will be...weird.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I think we're batmobiled out for now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

theflyingorc posted:

you absolutely can't give Batman full control to drive wherever he wants

Solution: Don't do this.

Better solution: No more Batman games for a loving while, until another developer is ready to step up and do an amazing job.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Is there any way to actually select the jokermobile skin after you finish the game?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SectumSempra posted:

I think we're batmobiled out for now.

lol if you think they're going to leave that huge pile of tech sitting on the table.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After beating the game finally and just youtubing riddler ending crap, I think I overall enjoyed City and even most of Origins more than this game. This is mostly due to the fact that I absolutely hated the batmobbosses and the plot. Not to say that City and Origins had amazing plots, but at least they didn't have a Knight's identity "secret" and had challenge rooms.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

theflyingorc posted:

lol if you think they're going to leave that huge pile of tech sitting on the table.

They specifically say it was just a car prior to the events of Knight, so I don't see what they could do with it if they did make Origins 2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crashbee posted:

They specifically say it was just a car prior to the events of Knight, so I don't see what they could do with it if they did make Origins 2.

Don't worry. Retcons will be used to ensure they can keep milking that Arkham cash cow.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 8, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
It was really weird to have the "prototype" grapnel boost from City in Origins, but whatever. :shrug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mogomra posted:

It was really weird to have the "prototype" grapnel boost from City in Origins, but whatever. :shrug:

I'll take weird in that instance, replaying City and having to go a bit without the grapnel boost was torture.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crashbee posted:

They are not required to make the next game in the series a prequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

They are not required to make the next game in the series a prequel.

They're not but making a sequel off the events of Arkham Knight is something that would require more straying from the norm than I believe they're capable of/allow to do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They also don't have to make another game in the series.

Three games is more than enough to give it a 5 year break and come back with something really cool and surprising. I know WB is a terrible idiot child and wont let it happen, but if 'Batman the Saucy Detective Man in an Unrelated Adventure's announcement at E3 2019 was the next we heard of Batman in videogames I'd be happy (other than Injustice 2 which needs to happen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

They also don't have to make another game in the series.

Sure, but they like money and have one of the most profitable IPs in existence so that ain't gonna happen.

• Locked thread