Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was Richard II succeeding Edward III normal per the rules of succession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

which is the point, after all.

google has analyzed your interests and suggests the following diversions to supplement them

- putting a bucket over your head and screaming
- sisyphus cosplay
- digging to china with a fork

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

here's some controversial counterfactual clickbait: George Bush was bad

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Disinterested posted:

it must be said though that the medieval period saw a massive expansion in lawyers and there's also the question of the ministerial class people forget about

Right, basically as the Kingdoms grew larger and economies grew stronger the middle-class bureaucracy exploded.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Yes. Sons of the eldest Son would have the stronger claim.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

here's some controversial counterfactual clickbait: George Bush was bad

drat good content, and hot!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Disinterested posted:

they have children and armies and money

so you have to purge selectively and cleverly or they all bumrush you at once and you lose your game of ck2

I mean obv. you kill the families too. And their armies aren't going to fight for a dead family that can't pay them anymore. I guess idk lol.

Poe based Hop Frog on that and it's a really good story if anyone hasn't read it. I had a book of his stories including this one, with the gory and awesome Rackham illustrations when I was a kid, which prob. explains a lot

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

good thing I never really cared about exactly how many hours of tv or whatever it is

you didn't rebut the actual point of what I said (which is essentially the same thing I was saying last night): people have time to cook no matter how you look at it

they might not have the energy to cook, or ability/knowledge to cook, and just simply doing their own cooking isn't going to magically cure them of obesity -- this is pretty obvious and I was never arguing any of that

nice backpedal guy who doesn't know poo poo about gently caress. you can't even stick to a position.

you were most certainly arguing that if they just watched a half hour less tv they wouldn't be fat, because you're an idiot.

paranoid randroid posted:

google has analyzed your interests and suggests the following diversions to supplement them

- putting a bucket over your head and screaming
- sisyphus cosplay
- digging to china with a fork

- posting in d&d

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i prefer the discussion to the debate because the discussion is occasionally interesting whereas the debate is always loving awful and pointless

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

hell, go so far to say George Bush not good

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

zoux posted:

yes - eldest sons, then their eldest sons. It still is that way except we include women now, so the current order is Charles -> William -> His Son -> His Daughter -> Harry

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right, basically as the Kingdoms grew larger and economies grew stronger the middle-class bureaucracy exploded.

well it's a feedback loop, they grow in part because of the frameworks that are imposed on them

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

I mean obv. you kill the families too. And their armies aren't going to fight for a dead family that can't pay them anymore. I guess idk lol.

with regards to england like, who exactly are you killing all their families with because your military power comes from those same nobles

the idea of a unified state that owes service to the king as a whole was a pretty modern idea in europe

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

hell, go so far to say George Bush not good

I was thinking about this last night. What things can you look back at during his presidency and say that they're legacy achievements?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

nice backpedal guy who doesn't know poo poo about gently caress. you can't even stick to a position.

you were most certainly arguing that if they just watched a half hour less tv they wouldn't be fat, because you're an idiot.

hrm, okay

Brannock posted:

I really don't buy the "high time cost" thing considering how much time people waste on television and internet.

Brannock posted:

Going from 4 hours of TV a day to 3.5 is a real burden.

sounds exactly like what I've been saying here. you're just straight making poo poo up fishmech

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

i prefer the discussion to the debate because the discussion is occasionally interesting whereas the debate is always loving awful and pointless

I agree and I apologize for inflicting this upon yall

bye bye for now dadchat

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

yes - eldest sons, then their eldest sons. It still is that way except we include women now, so the current order is Charles -> William -> His Son -> His Daughter -> Harry

I am really curious what name Charles is going to take.

Disinterested posted:

well it's a feedback loop, they grow in part because of the frameworks that are imposed on them

Yeah.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sharkie posted:

I'm not sure how easy you imagine it to be to kill thousands of wealthy, well protected and powerful people

UberJew posted:

the idea of a unified state that owes service to the king as a whole was a pretty modern idea in europe

the idea of a 'state' is but the degree to which people saw themselves as loyal to a central structure of authority is v. pliable with location and the subject of hot debate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brannock posted:

hrm, okay

sounds exactly like what I've been saying here. you're just straight making poo poo up fishmech

you just posted evidence of you being a colossal idiot who thinks the problem is people watch too much tv, because you are dumb.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I was thinking about this last night. What things can you look back at during his presidency and say that they're legacy achievements?

I think there was some big section of pacific islands designated as a nature refuge during his term. that's all I can think of

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Disinterested posted:

the idea of a 'state' is but the degree to which people saw themselves as loyal to a central structure of authority is v. pliable with location and the subject of hot debate.

yeah you're right and i'm dramatically oversimplifying but i'm pretty sure his thoughts are stemming from the idea of england as being a state as that is a common anachronism

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

UberJew posted:

with regards to england like, who exactly are you killing all their families with because your military power comes from those same nobles

Well I mean the idea of a standing army paid for by the King was A thing; but in general, yes. There were also nobles who were far richer than the king.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

Look just let me have my nobility slaughter fantasies ok.

I don't explain to you why team rocket wouldn't want you as a member.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well I mean the idea of a standing army paid for by the King was A thing

wellllllllllll

these are not very popular or universal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

Look just let me have my nobility slaughter fantasies ok.

well if that's the case then why doesn't your fantasy also involve the king getting got as well

that's problematic, comrade

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

basically in medieval kingdoms everyone but the king is a bit like a libertarian who thinks taxes are theft and militaries are for tyrannising the people and stealing their poo poo

except the difference is they were right

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

wellllllllllll

these are not very popular or universal

Well no, but they were a thing. Though, he would have had to pay for the army somehow, and that mostly came from taxes from the nobles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

who's the best king of all time from any country

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Destroying Iraq . Putting scary men in the sc. Wrecking the economy.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

yeah you're right and i'm dramatically oversimplifying but i'm pretty sure his thoughts are stemming from the idea of england as being a state as that is a common anachronism

1. Not a 'he' and
2. Yeah I know better but :shrug:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

basically in medieval kingdoms everyone but the king is a bit like a libertarian who thinks taxes are theft and militaries are for tyrannising the people and stealing their poo poo

except the difference is they were right

yes well they were also all tenants, so really they were just paying their rent. :colbert:

zoux posted:

Elizabeth II

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

can emperors, Dukes and other ruling heredity positions be included?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

MLK

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

zoux posted:

Kublai Khan

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

-Coining the term "War on Terror"
-Appointing assholes to the Supreme Court
-Turning Iraq into an unstable and impossible-to-fix hellhole
-Causing American Muslims to go politically from supporting almost entirely Republicans to almost entirely Democrats in the space of one decade

Hey, you didn't say they had to be good legacy achievements:colbert:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

do emperors count?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can emperors, Dukes and other ruling heredity positions be included?

Sure but no Khans

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
welcome to greendal ecommunity college

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i don't think that's entirely true, but good debaters aren't really fun to read (unless I know nothing about the subject which is somewhat often) and entertaining debaters are basically cefte and uh hm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I SAID NO KHANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

emperor norton I

• Locked thread