Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Making them humanlike is stupid, because then people might mistakenly think they have feelings, or deserve rights or respect.

Agreed - however, on the other hand, that also means you can have sex with them. It's a double-edged sword. I hope the game will explore this moral ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ED-E deserves rights and respect.

But only ED-E.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ED-E is alright. But these C-3PO-looking motherfuckers? Bitch please.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Machines are not people and do not have free will. If this game doesn't let me side against the robots I'll be very mad.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Funky Valentine posted:

But only ED-E.

ED-E is a robot-shaped friend.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Machines are not people and do not have free will. If this game doesn't let me side against the robots I'll be very mad.
You can, but it'll be the bad choice, and the narrator will say mean things about you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strudel Man posted:

You can, but it'll be the bad choice, and Three-Dog will say mean things about you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I bet it's possible but it will be the evil choice because the Institute harvests baby souls to further their research or some poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the speculation that the PC is an android turns out to be correct, Zoq Fot is going to have a Twilight Zone level "WHAT?! It can't be?" reaction before finding controls to turn his gun on himself.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's tough to rule out machines being capable of free will, especially in fiction. You can't really even prove that people do.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
John Fallout: (Whilst dumping Nuka Cola barrels over the side of the Brotherhood jet frigate during the Boston Tea Party reference quest) (whispering) Tax this, motherfuckers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I was thinking more about the post-Broken Steel ending where you do the non-stupid thing, but yeah, that works too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fooz posted:

It's tough to rule out machines being capable of free will, especially in fiction. You can't really even prove that people do.

Did Asimov put you up to this? If I ever meet him in real life...

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bicyclops posted:

If the speculation that the PC is an android turns out to be correct, Zoq Fot is going to have a Twilight Zone level "WHAT?! It can't be?" reaction before finding controls to turn his gun on himself.

If the PC is an android then the only correct choice will be to fulfill his programmed purpose and serve his creator.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are we about to have The Transporter Debate?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

They seem to be going for a Bladerunner vibe, and the "Androids" in Bladerunner weren't robots, they where heavily genetically modified humans. Maybe in a post-apocalyptic world with no industrial infrastructure it is easier to make biological androids?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The bad endings will be if you succumb to a glitch or subversion and turn against your creator, mistakenly believing you are self-aware and have freedom of choice.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm going to lock you in a room with the Talos Principle and no food.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Sharkopath posted:

I'm going to lock you in a room with the Talos Principle and no food.

:troll:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robots are our friends who use lasers to subdue our enemies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Transporter Debate always begins with the Matrix AI rights thing, moves on to Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom or something comparable, and then gets transported out into space.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Robots are our friends who use lasers to subdue our enemies.

One day perhaps I could learn to respect a robot...maybe even love them. But today is not that day.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Sharkopath posted:

Robots are our friends pets who use lasers to subdue our enemies.

There. A category that allows you to assert humanity's dominance over them but still requires you to treat them with both love and respect.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Why even eat if I can just transport the nutrients straight into my blood?

Fallouts are good games and I am excited to play the new one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Takes the Philip K. Dick drugs*

How can we have free will... if we aren't even real? Or the world isn't? Or we're actually robots, or dead? When you think about the nature of consciousness, don't we just die every time we go to sleep and wake up a different person? The top is still spinning, man.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rutibex posted:

They seem to be going for a Bladerunner vibe, and the "Androids" in Bladerunner weren't robots, they where heavily genetically modified humans. Maybe in a post-apocalyptic world with no industrial infrastructure it is easier to make biological androids?

They weren't based off the human genome, it's just that the demand for lifelike androids was so strong that they end up making them almost indistinguishable. It was the same in Rossum's Universal Robots. The robots could be confused for human, but had had their artificial muscles woven on looms. The play is the the origin of the word Robot by the way, the word robota is Czech for forced labor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phlegmish posted:

One day perhaps I could learn to respect a robot...maybe even love them. But today is not that day.

Look, my pappy told me that those...things ain't people. They just different. That's what his pappy tol' him, and his pappy 'fore that. I'm set in my ways, dammit.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

FISTO is our robo savior.
Tearing down barriers one felatio at a time.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A quest in which Rod Serling narrates the beginning, everyone calls the androids "ro-butts" and everyone experiences Cold War paranoia over which person might be a robutt, tearing their community apart.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

sout posted:

It's all basic houses and perhaps giant dick statues from here on out.

...I kinda think this should be the thread title.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

...I kinda think this should be the thread title.

It should be Monster Brew crew.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man who is the Old Man's voice in Bethesda games, do they keep him locked in their headquarters or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

frajaq posted:

Man who is the Old Man's voice in Bethesda games, do they keep him locked in their headquarters or something

I think it's Jim Cummings.

After a while all old people in Bethesda games start to sound like Tigger.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Are we about to have The Transporter Debate?

What's there to debate? It's a good action film.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fooz posted:

Spoilers, machines don't have free will, the PC is being controlled remotely and their actions are being dictated by someone watching through a computer screen.

Insert short video of todd howard making the inception noise with his mouth and doing this:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd say the only time you'd ever want a life-like robot if is you want to create a total loyal spy or assassin, like in Terminator. But the trailer just shows a bunch of angry man-shaped robots shooting at you because Bethesda just does poo poo they think is super cool.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

But only ED-E.

What about Fisto. :colbert:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Spoilers, machines don't have free will, the PC is being controlled remotely and their actions are being dictated by someone watching through a computer screen.

Insert short video of todd howard making the inception noise with his mouth and doing this:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified already pulled a stupid loving stunt kinda like that

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd say the only time you'd ever want a life-like robot if is you want to create a total loyal spy or assassin, like in Terminator. But the trailer just shows a bunch of angry man-shaped robots shooting at you because Bethesda just does poo poo they think is super cool.

Those look more like the synthetics from Alien Isolation, which makes me think they're cheapo androids not actually designed to think they're human and are probably just berserk like all the Mr. Handies and Protectotrons you find roaming the wastes shooting things. Maybe they were designed for poo poo like standing at kiosks or sexing, but now they shoot people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

Those look more like the synthetics from Alien Isolation, which makes me think they're cheapo androids not actually designed to think they're human and are probably just berserk like all the Mr. Handies and Protectotrons you find roaming the wastes shooting things. Maybe they were designed for poo poo like standing at kiosks or sexing, but now they shoot people.

This is my guess. We already know perfectly human androids exist. It's pretty normal and sensible for there to also be robots that are simply humanoid in form but clearly robots.

• Locked thread