Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Eonwe posted:

it is a non-issue, actually

Oh okay. I forgot people only make political decisions after rationally considering only the relevant facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Eonwe posted:

it is a non-issue, actually

It's still an issue to his electability. Regardless of whether a college degree is a necessity to become president there are a non insignificant number of people that believe that it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dahbadu posted:

Even if he came from a middle class family, and therefore didn't really have a reason to drop out, the fact that he managed to become a governor (be it a horrible evil piece of poo poo governor) of a state is pretty impressive.

If he was being paid gajillions by his bros Chuck and Dave while in college he probably would have finished school. If he wasn't being funded by them while in office it's debatable whether he'd even be there to begin with. Basically he's a man you have to literally shower with bribes to motivate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trump's new hotel in DC just lost the flagship restaurant, run by Spanish immigrant Jose Andres.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

I mean, try and troll better at least? Only freepers think that was Obama's only job.

Hint, Law professor was even mentioned earlier in this thread!

Quitting any commitment to go be a politician is still kinda scummy. Palin or not.

Seems he's trolling just fine considering how many people leap to respond to his stupid poo poo instead of putting him on ignore.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

senseinobu posted:

It's still an issue to his electability. Regardless of whether a college degree is a necessity to become president there are a non insignificant number of people that believe that it is.

im pretty sure at the end of the day this is going to change the decision of exactly nobody

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Oh okay. I forgot people only make political decisions after rationally considering only the relevant facts.

man you make bad posts

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

FAUXTON posted:

If he was being paid gajillions by his bros Chuck and Dave while in college he probably would have finished school. If he wasn't being funded by them while in office it's debatable whether he'd even be there to begin with. Basically he's a man you have to literally shower with bribes to motivate.

When I say impressive, I mean scary impressive. I guess he saw he could get ahead without a degree, so he brutally did. He's like a honey badger of douchebags.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 8, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

Ah yes. A man who graduated from Columbia and Harvard, then taught law school for twelve years before going into politics is totally equivalent to a C+ student who dropped out of college to go right into office.

C'mon man, you're a lovely gimmick but this one was tired eight years ago and can be shot down with under a minute's worth of fact-checking.

Just to be clear, you said earlier that a long stint in the state legislature followed by being Governor don't qualify as "real jobs".

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Just to be clear, you said earlier that a long stint in the state legislature followed by being Governor don't qualify as "real jobs".

First time I've seen a republican argue that public sector jobs are real jobs. Have we entered the twilight zone?

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Seems he's trolling just fine considering how many people leap to respond to his stupid poo poo instead of putting him on ignore.

Naturally I only really understand the concept of "trolling" in the most abstract, academic sense of the word - but if you think someone is doing that, making a post encouraging people to put them on ignore seems like something they'd want?

I mean the concept of systematically hiding posts from people you don't agree with in a forum meant for debate seems a little strange to begin with.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
In a separate interview with NBC News, Trump blasted the conservative commentator Charles Krauthammer, who called Trump a "rodeo clown."

Krauthammer uses a wheelchair because of a spinal injury.

"And then I get called by a guy that can't buy a pair of pants, I get called names? Give me a break," he said.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

If for some reason you ever forget how ridiculous Donald Trump is, some folks made a Chrome extension that will insert one of his crazy quotes into any mention of his name.

You can find the extension here.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Leopold Stotch posted:

"And then I get called by a guy that can't buy a pair of pants, I get called names? Give me a break," he said.

no day is a boring day

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Leopold Stotch posted:

In a separate interview with NBC News, Trump blasted the conservative commentator Charles Krauthammer, who called Trump a "rodeo clown."

This is incredible

Actually, the full quote from Krauthammer is pretty great too

quote:

“Well, he’s tapping in, but he’s essentially — he’s done it in a way that the word offensive is too weak,” Krauthammer said. “It’s an insult. An entire immigrant group. He did not make a distinct between legal and illegal immigrants. That’s his entire campaign. All our problems are from Mexico, from China, from Saudi Arabia, and Japan. He will make them pay. But that elevates him to a guy actually with ideas. These are eruptions, barstool eruptions. And the pity is this. This is the strongest field of Republican candidates in 35 years. You could pick a dozen of them at random and have the strongest cabinet America’s had in our lifetime and instead all of our time is spent discussing this rodeo clown.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Leopold Stotch posted:

At least one site is saying the pants comment was aimed at Jonah Goldberg, not Krauthammer. Some kind of fat joke?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-steamrolls-nbc-reporter-takes-shots-at-krauthammer-and-jonah-goldberg/

quote:

On Jonah Goldberg, who compared him to a “failed man”: “I’m worth a fortune. You know, it’s interesting. I went to the best school, got great marks, everything else. I went out, I made a fortune, a big fortune, a tremendous fortune… bigger than people even understand. […] Then I get called by a guy that can’t buy a pair of pants, I get called names?”

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

This is the strongest field of Republican candidates in 35 years. You could pick a dozen of them at random and have the strongest cabinet America’s had in our lifetime and instead all of our time is spent discussing this rodeo clown.

Holy moly this is delusional, or an incredibly ballsy lie.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

This is the party that was claiming they won even after the votes were counted and it was clear Oblammo crushed the election.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Local anti-vaxx and GMO groups are organizing here for Bernie.

See, that's the problem with not controlling your message and people with an iron fist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Well, they're perhaps the most conservative candidates in thirty-five years (since St. Reagan) and remember, conservatism cannot fail, it can only BE failed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
PPP has Trump now leading in North Carolina

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fried Chicken posted:

PPP has Donald "I beat China all the time" Trump now leading in North Carolina

This extension is already paying dividends.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
http://conservativefrontline.com/la-gov-bobby-jindal-the-confederate-flag-is-a-symbol-of-my-heritage/

quote:

LA Gov. Bobby Jindal: "The Confederate flag is a symbol of my heritage”

Ok then.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

538 is saying that Sanders could likely win Iowa and New Hampshire now, despite previously declaring he had no hope at all, but of course he will never win the minority vote for some reason so he has no hope nationally.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/bernie-sanders-could-win-iowa-and-new-hampshire-then-lose-everywhere-else/

I also like how they divide the Dem demographics into White Liberal/White Moderate/White Conservative/Minorities, because only white people have nuance I guess.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Anil Dash can be annoying but this piece is pretty good: http://dashes.com/anil/2015/06/on-bobby-jindal.html

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

538 is saying that Sanders could likely win Iowa and New Hampshire now, despite previously declaring he had no hope at all, but of course he will never win the minority vote for some reason so he has no hope nationally.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/bernie-sanders-could-win-iowa-and-new-hampshire-then-lose-everywhere-else/

I also like how they divide the Dem demographics into White Liberal/White Moderate/White Conservative/Minorities, because only white people have nuance I guess.
Well, if you read the article, the dude's main thesis is

quote:

Put another way, Iowa and New Hampshire aren’t representative of the more diverse electorates that Democrats will turn out elsewhere. It just so happens that the idiosyncrasies of the first two states match Sanders’s strengths and Clinton’s relative weaknesses.
It seems pretty true.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eonwe posted:

i still dont get why you guys dont talk about walker's lovely policies

Yeah I know, D&D never talks about Walker's lovely policies. :rolleyes:

Eonwe posted:

if you care about the degree thing then lol, really

Being able to finish a degree is a sign of whether a young person can finish a significant task on their own and hopefully learn many things. How do you not understand why people feel this is significant in a Presidential candidate?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Challenge anyone who says the Confederate Flag is "about heritage", or their heritage, and/or it's the battle flag and not the actual flag of the CSA to do the Rebel Yell on the spot. If it's part of your goddamned heritage you better be able to howl like a demented werewolf on the spot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Donald Trump was able to finish a college degree, and he's Donald Trump. Just saying.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nessus posted:

Well, if you read the article, the dude's main thesis is

It seems pretty true.

Hey before this argument takes off again, perhaps it's time to split this thread into democrat and republican primary threads?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

What do you think Sanders could do to increase his performance among minority voters?

quote:

I also like how they divide the Dem demographics into White Liberal/White Moderate/White Conservative/Minorities, because only white people have nuance I guess

I don't see this particular division. Where is that?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Being able to finish a degree is a sign of whether a young person can finish a significant task on their own and hopefully learn many things. How do you not understand why people feel this is significant in a Presidential candidate?

Yeah these dumb loving kids who can't even graduate, come on!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/magazine/who-gets-to-graduate.html?_r=0

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey before this argument takes off again, perhaps it's time to split this thread into democrat and republican primary threads?
Honestly this is a really good idea.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Donald Trump was able to finish a college degree, and he's Donald Trump. Just saying.

Not just a college degree, a degree in economics from arguably the most prestigious business school in the world

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nachos posted:

This is incredible

Actually, the full quote from Krauthammer is pretty great too

Denial's a hell of a drug.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Lol if you are going to make your decision on who to vote for based on their degree or lack of a degree than almost anything else I don't know how to reply to you even, sorry about your bad opinions though

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Obdicut posted:

What do you think Sanders could do to increase his performance among minority voters?

- Take an aggressive line against institutional racism rather than falling into "it's not race, it's class!"
- Not be from Vermont
- Run against somebody who isn't a Clinton

His policy record (excepting the occasional gun thing) is fine w/r/t the stuff that's important to minorities, but there are image issues to consider.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Obdicut posted:

Obviously more directly address minority issues and racism. I have no doubt he will when his priority isn't to secure two of the whitest states in the US. He does need to win Iowa and New Hampshire both to have any chance imo, and they're both 95%+ white. I think he's at least going to try to get parity with Clinton in these states in the polls before he begins a more national strategy.

I just disagree with the notion that Hillary has somehow locked the minority vote down, when she had the white liberal vote two months ago and now seems to have mostly lost it. I also think Bernie's economic populism will have just as ready an audience among minorities as among white people.

Obdicut posted:

I don't see this particular division. Where is that?

They only indirectly mention it in that article, but in another article about Bernie they had a graph where they straight up divide the democratic party like that. I'll look it up.

edit: here we go:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/jim-webb-is-searching-for-a-bygone-democratic-party/

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 8, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PupsOfWar posted:

- Take an aggressive line against institutional racism rather than falling into "it's not race, it's class!"

I do think he could stand to better articulate his views regarding this, because he does bring things back to class a lot

which is a good point as well, but it couldn't hurt to be more explicit about fighting against racism

I mean, he actually has the history to show he is an ally against racism considering his sitins to protest segregation in the 60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Sanders did an interview a couple of days ago which expounded a bit on his views on racism:

quote:

Clearly, police brutality and what goes on in African-American communities and other communities is a huge issue…. The question is: How do you have police departments in this country that are part of their communities, not oppressors in their communities? How do you have police officers who, when they commit acts of crime, are held accountable and are indicted? How do you have police officers receiving the proper training that they need? How do we demilitarize our police departments? All of these are important issues. The good news is that, as a country, we are paying far more attention to this issue than we previously did. If anyone thinks that the kind of police brutality that we’re seeing now is something new, they are sorely mistaken. The good news, in a sense, is that it’s now becoming public and we’re seeing it and talking about it.

There has to be, I think, a significant change in police culture in terms of [the use of force]. That is a major issue that has to be dealt with. And we will deal with it, period.

The other thing, to be frank, that does trouble me is that there is so little discussion about African-American youth unemployment. How do you discuss Ferguson and not know that, in that particular community, unemployment is off the charts? How do you discuss Baltimore and not know that, in that particular community, unemployment is off the charts? African-American youth unemployment in this country is 50 percent, and one out of three African-American males born today stands the possibility of ending up in jail if present trends continue. This is a disaster. So, of course, we’ve got to talk about police brutality; of course, we’ve got to talk about reforming our criminal-justice system; of course, we’ve got to make sure that we are educating our kids and giving them job training and not sending them to jail. But I get a little distressed that people are not talking about what I consider to be a huge problem: How do you not talk about African-American youth unemployment at 50 percent?

Civil rights was a very important part of it. I was very active in the Congress of Racial Equality at the University of Chicago. I got arrested in trying to desegregate Chicago’s school system. I was very active in demanding that the University of Chicago not run segregated housing, which it was doing at that time. We were active in working with our brothers and sisters in SNCC [the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee]… at that point helping them with some very modest financial help. So, yes, I was active. And I do not separate the civil-rights issue from the fact that 50 percent of African-American young people are either unemployed or underemployed. Remember the March on Washington—what was it about? “Jobs and Freedom.” The issue that Dr. King raised all the time was: This is great if we want to desegregate restaurants or hotels, but what does it matter if people can’t afford to go to them? That’s still the issue today.

• Locked thread