Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Housemate got a call from Bell last week, asking her to switch to their broadband. She refused, and when the rep asked why, she told them the truth: it's in someone else's name.

Now I'm half expecting them to start sending mail addressed to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm right at the edge of cutting my cable, and I can just imagine the bullshit that is going to flow from the retention reps mouth.

It's gonna be great!

When I called TELUS to cancel my TV the lady processed it no questions asked, and then informed me that my Internet package is great for streaming TV and movies instead.

The difference between jaded, senior reps and fresh newbies is like night and day. :3:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I'm in the middle of an argument with one of my ISPs. I've got satellite which I use for downloading and youtube etc. If I want to play video games, I switch over to a Bell Mifi which uses the LTE network. It boasts better latency at the expense of pricier bandwidth. The problem is with the latter. They claim I've downloaded over 90GB this month. I suspect this is bullshit - I have a separate connection for large downloads and the mifi is used only for playing video games. I do not believe it is possible that any amount of video games can possibly amount to 90GB.

Issue: I can't argue this point without proof.

I installed a program called BitMeter. It tells me that I've downloaded 126.30 MB since I installed it 3 hours ago. This is odd, since the only data I've loaded today has been google results for a query, and then a CNET page, and a 1.35MB download. (Said download should not be included in the 127.03MB total, since it occurred before installation of said program).

Clearly something on my computer is eating data that shouldn't. Are there any free utilities that break down bandwidth usage by program?

e: up to 127.26MB so far. What the poo poo?

E2: and now up to 127.52 Chrome is the only window open and the only tab open is on SA. Something sucked up 1MB in 3 minutes. That's 20MB an hour and 400MB a day. What the gently caress needs nearly half a gigabyte per day?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 5, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I'm in the middle of an argument with one of my ISPs. I've got satellite which I use for downloading and youtube etc. If I want to play video games, I switch over to a Bell Mifi which uses the LTE network. It boasts better latency at the expense of pricier bandwidth. The problem is with the latter. They claim I've downloaded over 90GB this month. I suspect this is bullshit - I have a separate connection for large downloads and the mifi is used only for playing video games. I do not believe it is possible that any amount of video games can possibly amount to 90GB.

I installed a program called BitMeter. It tells me that I've downloaded 126.30 MB since I installed it 3 hours ago. This is odd, since the only data I've loaded today has been google results for a query, and then a CNET page, and a 1.35MB download. (Said download should not be included in the 127.03MB total, since it occurred before installation of said program).

Clearly something on my computer is eating data that shouldn't. Are there any free utilities that break down bandwidth usage by program?

E2: and now up to 127.52 Chrome is the only window open and the only tab open is on SA. Something sucked up 1MB in 3 minutes. That's 20MB an hour and 400MB a day. What the gently caress needs nearly half a gigabyte per day?

First thing I'd look for would be a bitcoin miner or some other sort of parasitic host program

Look for anything using a bunch of CPU % when you're sitting idle, that's how I found one the other day, and it was masked as a regular windows process name (Debug something or other) but using 20-40% CPU

Spybot S&D is always a good place to start for removing that poo poo

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
open task manager, performance, resource monitor, network

Is anything doing anything?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Loggingserver.exe (AVG secure search) is sitting between 12,000 B/s and 14,000 B/s.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do you leave your pc on 24/7?

If it's a smart trojan it will wait until the wee hours to start doing it's thang, or when it senses inactivity

IE: When you aren't sitting there looking for it

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Which is why I want a program to sit there and look for it all the time.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Which is why I want a program to sit there and look for it all the time.

Easiest

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Do you physically remove one connection, and move to the other, or what? Sounds like it failed to rollover/you forgot to switch.

Also, in your edits, you're freaking out about 260KB, that's almost incidental data being connected to the internet, especially with Chrome if you're syncing with a Google account, it's going out to get search suggestions, syncing sites history, saved password databases, Google Now cards, etc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

37th Chamber posted:

Do you physically remove one connection, and move to the other, or what? Sounds like it failed to rollover/you forgot to switch.

Also, in your edits, you're freaking out about 260KB, that's almost incidental data being connected to the internet, especially with Chrome if you're syncing with a Google account, it's going out to get search suggestions, syncing sites history, saved password databases, Google Now cards, etc

Agreed on that, unless its a physical connection being changed out it was only a matter of time

Similar to being on your phone browsing on WIFI and then the signal drops so it switches to Data, 100 cat videos later

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
For the record: gently caress Canadian ISPs for making me delve into my computer's inner workings. This is supposed to be Goof-Off-on-the-internet time, not do-anything-that-looks-like-work time.

This is literally perfect and 100% what I had in mind. Breaks down bandwidth usage by application. This will weed out the offending party.

Just so we're clear on this:

Playing video games and downloading them are two entirely different things. Even if were multiboxing 10 clients at once (I'm not, but for the sake of argument) - no amount of data amounting to "X headshots Y. Y dies" is going to add up to anything significant, especially not on the order of gigabytes. Any Bell CSR who states that playing Firefall for an hour is the same as watching youtube for an hour is full of poo poo.

37th Chamber posted:

It is a pair or wifi connections and changing between them requires three left clicks. I am 90% certain that what's happened is exactly as you suggested and I forgot to switch over. Is there a way to tell X program to use N connection while Y program must use only O connection?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Honestly? I wouldn't setup anything that makes this convenient, it just makes this more likely to happen again.

For example: If you have both the access points passwords saved in Windows, then say your satellite router reboots/wireless drops, suddenly its switched to your LTE access point and costing you boat loads. OR, you unplug the LTE device entirely, plug it in when you KNOW you need it, you're less likely to have something connecting to it over night downloading stuff.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'd do that, but a World of Warcraft player has just come back from college and shares the connection. If I turned it off I'd likely wake up to myself being strangled.

This is also why I'm keen to monitor my own bandwidth usage. I'm not 100% sure they aren't using the expensive bandwidth to download patches. But there's no sense in questioning them until I can account for my own use.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Not sure what kind of access points you're running, but in this scenario in addition to software on your PC, I would see if there is a third party firmware for them that has IPTraffic monitoring, it will log data consumption for your entire network and not just one PC.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I'd do that, but a World of Warcraft player has just come back from college and shares the connection. If I turned it off I'd likely wake up to myself being strangled.

This is also why I'm keen to monitor my own bandwidth usage. I'm not 100% sure they aren't using the expensive bandwidth to download patches. But there's no sense in questioning them until I can account for my own use.

Sounds like you will probably end up eating the overage charges for the current bill, simply because even IF you find out it was a malicious bot or whatever, the ISP will just shrug and say 'You read the TOS right?'

I would suggest investing the rather small fee of $30 and getting something like this http://www.netlimiter.com/

Probably can find something open source or freeware that is just as good, but I'm tired.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How can I get Bell to stop loving throttling my connection when I try to play games?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Subyng posted:

How can I get Bell to stop loving throttling my connection when I try to play games?

Are they port throttling, or just capping your bandwith whenever they sense lots of data being moved?

According to this article from 2012 : http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/12/20/bell-internet-throttling-web_n_1160416.html they're supposed to not throttle poo poo anymore.

Call them up and ask if they've decided to circumvent the CRTC? :laugh:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How can I check?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Subyng posted:

How can I check?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of thing , if it was torrents you can just change the port being throttled.

Games usually have a specific port or 3, so you can't really fiddle with it.

Out of curiosity what game is it? I can't see them bothering to throttle a specific game as they're usually such low bandwidth usage

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Subyng posted:

They're probably not throttling (though I wouldn't put it past them). How about more info? What game? When does it occur? How many people are on your network, what router are you using, are you on wifi, etc

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Bell does zero DPI/throttling now (they stopped in like 2010, and it would be literally illegal for them to do so without disclosing it publicly now), it's something else.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sappo569 posted:

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of thing , if it was torrents you can just change the port being throttled.

Games usually have a specific port or 3, so you can't really fiddle with it.

Out of curiosity what game is it? I can't see them bothering to throttle a specific game as they're usually such low bandwidth usage

Also, assuming this were actually throttling changing ports wouldn't do much these days DPI ensures that the content would be throttled, filtered, etc. regardless of the port. It's not the early 2000s any more.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Bluh, I'm an idiot who didn't properly check the coverage in the area I was moving to, so now I'm stuck with a 4G connection from Xplornet with a 50Gb cap. Manged to get a 10/1 package for 70 though, which is decent considering I had 5/.8 for 40 from Bell at my old place, though that had unlimited access.

It is however much better than the turbo box Bell tried to foist on me when I tried to change over my current service, which costs over a hundred for 15 gigs and 10 dollars extra for every GB you dare go over.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I waffled between posting here or in the haus, but it's kinda Telus specific so maybe you guys have some immediate ideas. We've got Optik and the lovely Actiontec V1000H modem/router that comes with it. We want to set up a dedicated server for smaller games like Terraria so that friends could log in and tinker even if we weren't playing at the time, but unless we're using a tunnelling program our friends can't connect to it at all. Everything is set up properly, and sites like yougetsignal even report the ports as open and the server records the hit from them, but external connections are still bounced and we have to tunnel them into the LAN. Google suggests this is common with the Actiontec piece of crap and it's simply impossible because of the way it's set up by Telus.

Has anyone here tried to work around this? Is there a solution other than tunnelling or buying a new modem/router? Mostly we just get our friend to host instead but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully wrestled it into submission.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pay the $5/mo to get a VPS to host Terraria or whatever. Both Shaw and TELUS won't help you an inch trying to troubleshoot gameplay server connectivity issues. You can try and solve in ON PRINCIPLE but if you value your time don't bother.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Tagra posted:

I waffled between posting here or in the haus, but it's kinda Telus specific so maybe you guys have some immediate ideas. We've got Optik and the lovely Actiontec V1000H modem/router that comes with it. We want to set up a dedicated server for smaller games like Terraria so that friends could log in and tinker even if we weren't playing at the time, but unless we're using a tunnelling program our friends can't connect to it at all. Everything is set up properly, and sites like yougetsignal even report the ports as open and the server records the hit from them, but external connections are still bounced and we have to tunnel them into the LAN. Google suggests this is common with the Actiontec piece of crap and it's simply impossible because of the way it's set up by Telus.

Has anyone here tried to work around this? Is there a solution other than tunnelling or buying a new modem/router? Mostly we just get our friend to host instead but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully wrestled it into submission.

http://telusinternet.blogspot.ca/2012/10/using-your-own-router-in-tandem-with.html

You can set it up in bridge mode if you want to use another router.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Sprawl posted:

http://telusinternet.blogspot.ca/2012/10/using-your-own-router-in-tandem-with.html

You can set it up in bridge mode if you want to use another router.

I've not personally done this, but I've read that the latest firmwares have different passwords that have yet to been discovered, thus making it impossible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

37th Chamber posted:

I've not personally done this, but I've read that the latest firmwares have different passwords that have yet to been discovered, thus making it impossible.

Wait... does Telus not just do this for you if you ask for it? Shaw will set your modem to bridged mode without batting an eye.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wait... does Telus not just do this for you if you ask for it? Shaw will set your modem to bridged mode without batting an eye.

Based on the TONS of posts if you search for "V1000H bridge", I'd be inclined to go with no. Some posts even on the official forums saying they called and were refused by CSR's since it would stop them from having control over the device.

Though, in my browsing I found this "hack", which is loving hilarious (especially if it still works, was only posted 2 months ago with lots of THANKS, etc)

quote:

ActionTec aren't good with security apparently. If you log in with your normal credentials, and go to the WAN Addressing page, the option for bridging is actually there, it's just hidden with CSS.
So with a modern browser (I prefer Chrome) you can go into the Developer mode and alter the style of the TR tag with the id <tr id="id_rfc_1483_transparent_bridging" style="display:none"> to get rid of the style="display:none". This will allow you to see it on the page, select it, and the setting will save.
You aren't actually editting the code of the ActionTec, simply changing how Chrome displays the page, but ActionTec has left the functionality in, and just hidden, so it still works!

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 8, 2015

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

It does still work :ssh:

So, I'm not really a guru when it comes to network things... but is this inability to host something Telus has deliberately done to prevent too much upload traffic or is it just because they chose a poo poo router, or is it because they are incompetent at setting up their poo poo router? All seem plausible...

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To prevent dumb users from breaking their Internet connection and then calling in to tech support about it. Bridged/Router mode makes no difference on your usage.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Any idea how much we can expect to pay for the Bell Gigabit FTTH service? Have a feeling it's probably going to be in the $200-300 range...
On a side note, does anyone know if any ISP in Canada is planning to move forward with DOCSIS 3.1 for Gigabit over cable or is to expensive / impractical?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I just wish ISPs would get rid of all the telco cruft and wire Cat6 from a box on the side of my house to the room opposite the wall that the box is on so I can just plug in a real goddamn router, console into it, set up DHCP (or a static if I'm paying for one), make sure I can ping out, then set up a switch and all the actual network poo poo I want.

But then they couldn't control what ports I have incoming connections and stuff, so y'know. That's not gonna happen.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Kazinsal posted:

I just wish ISPs would get rid of all the telco cruft and wire Cat6 from a box on the side of my house to the room opposite the wall that the box is on so I can just plug in a real goddamn router, console into it, set up DHCP (or a static if I'm paying for one), make sure I can ping out, then set up a switch and all the actual network poo poo I want.

But then they couldn't control what ports I have incoming connections and stuff, so y'know. That's not gonna happen.
You can totally do that if you're in a region where fiber from smaller competing ISPs is offered; Beanfield and competitors in Toronto give you exactly that (with an optional wireless router).

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/eastlink-cap-on-rural-internet-usage-concerns-business-owners-1.3144130

Eastlink, you used to be cool!

Usage-based caps are shenanigans, as everyone here knows. 15 Gigabyte/month usage caps are beyond the pale even by the usual standard.

cbc.ca posted:

Rural business owners in Nova Scotia who rely on high speed internet are concerned Eastlink is planning to cap bandwidth and charge customers up to $20 a month more if they use above the set amount.

Andy Kerr runs a website development business from his home in Hampton, and counts the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo as one of his customers.

The businessman says he can't open large computer files unless he takes his laptop to Bridgetown, which is about seven kilometres away.

Despite $60 million spent by Eastlink and governments to provide rural areas with high speed access similar to that available in urban areas, tests show speeds are far less than promised.

"It's the same price but we certainly didn't get the same service," Kerr said. "Now to slap a cap on top of everything else, I shake my head."

Eastlink says it is implementing the cap to weed out so-called bandwidth hogs.

"I don't know many bandwidth hogs," Kerr said. "We're just normal users."
Capped at 15 gigabytes

Eastlink's rural residents will have their usage capped at 15 gigabytes a month. That is about 15 hours of Netflix viewing, something Kerr can't do because the internet in his area isn't fast enough.

Kerr, a former president of the Bridgetown Chamber of Commerce fears the new surcharge will make it even tougher for rural communities to attract new business.

"I know businesses that poked around and went back to Bridgetown or another high speed region." he said.

"I think they must do more work on boosting internet strength before implementing the cap," he said. "This is a smokescreen to put them off the pressure they are getting on speed problems."

Kerr says he is stuck with Eastlink because the weather interferes with satellite reception and Bell does not provide service in his area.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yeah, I'm with Eastlink in NE Ontario, and honestly, if I had ~any~ other remotely decent option, I'd leave.
We moved here 3 years ago, signed up for a 20/2 package with unlimited data for like...$65 or so I think. Last year my plan suddenly became 20/1 for $70 - they won't admit it changed though. Because I work from home and need a little more upload, I had to pay to upgrade to their 40/2 package at $90 a month. Except it then has a 250gb cap, which I go over pretty easily. So another $30 a month for unlimited data. Its loving terrible.

But, my only other options are Rogers/Telus/NorthernTel cell-based internet, or DSL from NorthernTel with their "Superfast" package being 5/1...for almost $80 a month.

I hate not living in Manitoba where there's some good, home-grown competition.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Siochain posted:

Yeah, I'm with Eastlink in NE Ontario, and honestly, if I had ~any~ other remotely decent option, I'd leave.
We moved here 3 years ago, signed up for a 20/2 package with unlimited data for like...$65 or so I think. Last year my plan suddenly became 20/1 for $70 - they won't admit it changed though. Because I work from home and need a little more upload, I had to pay to upgrade to their 40/2 package at $90 a month. Except it then has a 250gb cap, which I go over pretty easily. So another $30 a month for unlimited data. Its loving terrible.

But, my only other options are Rogers/Telus/NorthernTel cell-based internet, or DSL from NorthernTel with their "Superfast" package being 5/1...for almost $80 a month.

I'm with Eastlink in Halifax stuck on the 20/2 plan because they won't tell me what my usage is. Like, I know I probably use over 250/month, but I've got no idea how much more because their traffic monitoring tools apparently don't work if you don't have a cap.

That said, bell fiber is in my new apartment building, so I'm probably going to switch soon.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

less than three posted:

To prevent dumb users from breaking their Internet connection and then calling in to tech support about it. Bridged/Router mode makes no difference on your usage.

I didn't mean bridging specifically, I meant hosting and the inability for external connections to get through. I used to remote into my computer from work just fine (although I haven't tried setting that up since the router has updated, hmmm) but we've never been successful at hosting anything unless it's through Steam or a tunnel service. Is that just because the ActionTec is poo poo or did they deliberately block those sorts of connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Tagra posted:

So, I'm not really a guru when it comes to network things... but is this inability to host something Telus has deliberately done to prevent too much upload traffic or is it just because they chose a poo poo router, or is it because they are incompetent at setting up their poo poo router? All seem plausible...

They can control upload traffic from whatever head end they are using pretty effectively. My working theory ISPs hate when people use their own routers because people buy poo poo routers then call in, complain that their internet(actually wi-fi speed) is slow and expect tech support to fix their stupid Linksys $20 entry level router.

Main reason they restrict upload is Telus/Shaw have lovely peering agreements and pay out the rear end for handing off traffic to other network handlers and pay next to nothing for download.

Deathreaper posted:

On a side note, does anyone know if any ISP in Canada is planning to move forward with DOCSIS 3.1 for Gigabit over cable or is to expensive / impractical?

Comcast just started testing it in the States and is hoping to have a full-scale deployment next year. Shawgers will wait for all the issues to be ironed out by Comcast fix then buy the tech from them, I would say 2-3 years before they start doing Greenfield testing here.

Kazinsal posted:

They can control ports and traffic easy enough from their head ends.

Siochain posted:

MTS home services are just as bad here for pricing and service wise for the most part. They raise their prices at the same time everyone else does and their fibre offerings are ludicrous($140.00 a month for 100/15). MTS is great for keeping our cell phones semi-cheap and thats about it.