Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Valatar posted:

The thing that really makes me sad about this is the fact that you can't mix job abilities ala Final Fantasy. If you could pick and choose powers to make your own hybrid, I'd probably be throwing insane money at this. Instead the only thing you get out of training multiple classes are the passive stat boosts, which is not thrilling.

There are also passive abilities you can grab that are independent of class, I thought. Not exactly what you want, but it is a form of it. I had one that gave a shield for a couple seconds after a dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I bought into the early access for this game because I'm an idiot. Please do not lead me astray Drinkfist.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

gullah jack posted:

I bought into the early access for this game because I'm an idiot. Please do not lead me astray Drinkfist.

Quit your job. Dump your girlfriend. Buy socks by the pallet.

You belong to us now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Well my account for moonlight blade got banned so I'll play this more than I thought I would I bet.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
We're all gonna be gods of bad decisions! :neckbeard:

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Is there any recommendations on "rushing" to 2k prestige? I should be on most of the day tomorrow. I assume you just "play the loving game" though and then it magically happens?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So I've seen this name a lot but today is the first time I've actually checked it out. Class system seems like it's enough for me to forgive the fact that it's a themepark MMO.

How involved is Obsidian in this? They're the primary reason I'm gonna try this out.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Any eu goons able to talk to me about US latency?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the latency is good, stormgale

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

blueberrysmith posted:

Is there any recommendations on "rushing" to 2k prestige? I should be on most of the day tomorrow. I assume you just "play the loving game" though and then it magically happens?

Pretty much this, and take the multiplier missions when they show up. The only thing I really learned from the stress test was that you probably shouldn't waste too many enhancement stones on early weapon drops, as even the blues that I upgraded early on were replaced repeatedly before I hit 1k prestige. Not sure when properly good weapons start dropping, though.

edit: ignore bad advice

M2tt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 8, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

It's... not, though?

Unless you're using 'themepark' in a way other than it's used for most MMOs.

This is not much like WoW or EQ, it's more akin to Vindictus or Phantasy Star Online in structure.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Stormgale posted:

Any eu goons able to talk to me about US latency?

Ping 192.31.179.42

During the stress test I was at 210-220ms (not from Europe) and combat was pretty smooth. Only problem were the lag spikes which I hope were confined to the stress test. To make sure I looked up videos of people playing the game at 180-250ms, in PvP and PvE, and I couldn't even tell the difference compared to videos that display a <100ms ping.

Note that most skills are targeted and there's a short GCD. Plus there's no input delay associated with latency that some games seem to have. Melee might run into some issues but there's only 5 melee classes compared to 8 ranged ones or hybrids.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 8, 2015

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

M2tt posted:

Pretty much this, and take the multiplier missions when they show up. The only thing I really learned from the stress test was that you probably shouldn't waste too many enhancement stones on early weapon drops, as even the blues that I upgraded early on were replaced repeatedly before I hit 1k prestige. Not sure when properly good weapons start dropping, though.

Wait. Those upgrades don't apply to the item, do they? I thought they applied to the slot. Have I misunderstood how those upgrades work?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Wait. Those upgrades don't apply to the item, do they? I thought they applied to the slot. Have I misunderstood how those upgrades work?

I'm 95% sure you're right and was going to mention the same thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Manifest Dynasty posted:

They do apply to the slot itself, unless I'm way off base.

The cost to upgrade gets really expensive though after a few ranks.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Yeah sorry I read up a bit and looks like I was wrong about the weapon thing

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

WarLocke posted:

It's... not, though?

Unless you're using 'themepark' in a way other than it's used for most MMOs.

This is not much like WoW or EQ, it's more akin to Vindictus or Phantasy Star Online in structure.

Well I mean it's not Star Wars Galaxies/Ultima Online/EVE Online. The only content there is what you're given while sandbox would focus on player interaction and developer created content would be icing on the already delicious cake.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eonwe posted:

the latency is good, stormgale

Come on in the latency's fine? Eonwe you rogue,

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:pcgaming::butt: twerking confirmed :butt::pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fe2vIJPmM&t=718s

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Nice, I didn't realize those upgrades were hitting the slot itself and not the item. That's pretty elegant actually. Using junk drops to slowly enhance yourself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im glad of this

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

:siren:Early Access to Skyforge starting tomorrow, July 9th, at 6AM PDT FOR FOUNDERS PACK FUCKS :siren:

http://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/grab-founders-packs-and-get-early-access-tomorrow

A Notice to all goons. The story quests will give you boxes with spark replicators in it. You can sell thease on the market for Argents(The cash shop currency)(Unless they change that). I suggest you do this.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 8, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'll see you jerks when I get home from work tomorrow. :mad:

What mumble are we camping?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Drinkfist posted:

A Notice to all goons. The story quests will give you boxes with spark replicators in it. You can sell thease on the market for Argents(The cash shop currency)(Unless they change that). I suggest you do this.

Why? I thought sparks were good or something.

I'm so confused about this game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bashez posted:

Spark Replicators are the things that give you bonus sparks.

You'll eventually hit your spark cap for the week anyway, just faster if you're using replicators (because you're getting 150% spark income).

However, converting Argents to Space Cash doesn't count against your weekly credit cap (unles it was changed very recently) - so instead of using replicators, you sell them for Argents, then convert those to money. You get to your spark cap slightly slower, but can somewhat get around the money cap this way.

If you are a Space Whale you can also buy Argents for real monies and convert them to credits to totally blow past that cap.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

I'll see you jerks when I get home from work tomorrow. :mad:

What mumble are we camping?

CTS is my guess, thats where Grithok, Drinkfist, etc hang out

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Bashez posted:

Spark replicators are their way of saying xp booster. It gives you extra sparks whenever you actually earn them.

blueberrysmith posted:

Rushing = Pick a short dungeon and do it a lot. And do the 2x/3x dungeons when they pop up. Prior to 2000 prestige, this will probably mean spamming factory 501 since you only have like 5 or so dungeons unlocked.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

two tanks, two supports, rest dps

alchemist and light bringer are supports

alchemist is kinda... not support

So the entire Atlas of Ascension basically doesn't apply to tanks and supports, other than as a talent tree?

Why would they have 5+ unlockable classes for DPS but 0 for tanks and supports?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xae posted:

So the entire Atlas of Ascension basically doesn't apply to tanks and supports, other than as a talent tree?

I can't tell what you're even asking.

Everything in the global atlas (and every non-ability node in the class atlases) apply to your character no matter what class you're currently playing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
his words don't make sense to me either

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Xae posted:

What? You still have to unlock alchemist/knight, and the entire atlas of dps nodes applies because you will still need to be dealing damage as tank/support. You'll never hold any aggro if you hit like a wet noodle. As a support, you still spend most of your time whacking the enemy, only swapping to toss out a shield/buff on teammates every now and then. And that's in 5 man dungeons. In 3 mans (most dungeons) you need to be pumping out damage. Not to mention you're going to need the passive abilities.

Don't lock down to one class. You need to be able to swap classes between fights in higher dungeons, like if you need more CC or dps or whatnot. In the first 5 man dungeon, we had a guy swap in and out of necromancer just so he could chain CC-fear a certain mob in a trash pull.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So to add some content, I found out that completing each classes training room test/intro unlocks the base costume for that class and you can freely swap to it in the style tab. Want to be a Paladin in Archer clothes? Maybe a monk in techno spaceman gunner armor? You can! also, changing your clothing is free and can be done at any time without the use of Quinta the appearance NPC.

I also found out that if you use F to lock-on to your target, you can pan the camera around by moving the mouse, but holding right click and trying to pan the camera seemed to un-target whatever I was locking on to. I may be mis-remembering but I do remember having a hard time noticing if I was actually locked on to my targets or not before I realized I can just pan by moving the mouse. This may also be because I was mainly a paladin and jumping around in melee range.

For those of you with a 582 button gaming mouse, I would advise against remapping your combat controls in game and use the software that came with your mouse to maybe make individual profiles for the classes you can swap to or something. I have a profile on my g700 that binds every key to the numpad for easy remapping of games, but that made swapping classes really confusing because of how drastically different each class actually plays and where the abilities end up on the hotbar. Not to mention the text under each ability read NUM_ and cut off the actual number so even though I knew which button was where on the mouse, it made other classes needlessly convoluted to play.

Speaking of keybinds, did anyone with a Razr/Logitech gaming keypad try binding it for this game? How well do those things work as far as key placement and general usability? I was thinking of grabbing one from Microcenter because my laptop keyboard kind of sucks for games in general, but I've never used one before. I figure I can give it a shot and if it's terrible just return it but I just wanted a bit of input. :v:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I found another sperg. Just a few more and we will have a good handful to get the guild construction day one done.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

lewtt posted:

Spark replicators are their way of saying xp booster. It gives you extra sparks whenever you actually earn them.

Glad someone handed out this advice. I just chugged them because I had them. I'll hawk them off instead.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Thinking about doing the $20 pack. Seems alright enough.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

I found another sperg. Just a few more and we will have a good handful to get the guild construction day one done.

no shame in my game son, let's do this

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
Another word of advice: SMAA isn't working correctly if youre fudging around with graphical settings. Stick to FXAA and sensible amounts of sharpening.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Until I get Lumbering Troll to make a Skyforge Channel in Camping the Stairs Mumble I will be in my "The Angry Dome" Channel/subchannels in CTS at the bottom of the list. Come in here and mingle with the worst of society!

CTS Mumble info.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well I hadn't heard about this game until about two hours ago, but I've pissed away $20 on far worse things and this doesn't take up any space in my apartment so gently caress it, this looks like it could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
6 am PDT is 10 pm my time so I'll be online if y'all need numbers to form the guild.

Assuming the servers arnt making GBS threads the bed as is typical mmo launch

• Locked thread