Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't mind if everyone in this show became as flaming as OD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

any ideas why the VAPE Crowds just say YACK constantly?

that's the sound that VAPERS make

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Sugane should increase his interesting factor by kissing Jou.

rvm
May 6, 2013
This show is dangerously naive when it comes to themes it tries to explore, but it's consistently entertaining. I hope it never ever tries to get serious, though, it becomes embarrassing (No, Hajime, "not having any secrets in the first place" is not the answer to all privacy issues).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He should kiss Hajime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

doxxing doesn't matter if you're a superhero!

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Beef Chief posted:

He should kiss Hajime

i approve of this, because sugane looks a little like i would if i was an anime teen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hajime's not gonna kiss anyone but if she did it should be the new girl.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Hajime represents this somewhat endearing, but fundamentally misguided optimism about new possibilities of communication and self-expression. If the show didn't agree with her 100%, she would be a fascinating character. We'll see how Katze fits into all that, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The show does not agree with her 100%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

The show does not agree with her 100%.

rvm
May 6, 2013
In what way exactly does CROWDS show that her way of thinking is incorrect? Maybe I missed something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The finale of season 1 and the plot of season 2 is that CROWDS are being used for crowd funded terrorism

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The entire character of Katze existed solely to show that people are just easily manipulated towards being shitheads for no reason as they are towards being genuinely good people. The difference is the amount of good people outweighs the bad people, which is why Katze lost and is now in his eternal hell of positivity.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The first season doesn't agree with Hajime 100%, but it's pretty close. And to be honest, I'm fine with that. It's talking about something new and original and I like that it has a bold and provocative and unusual message.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's also very critical of social media though, even when it's being used for good. In the finale, when everyone is given access to crowds to help the survival effort, their reaction to helping strangers isn't elated to be saving others; every single reaction is about scores and how high their points are. Jou and the PM have a small convo about this in S2 premiere when Jou says Japan still needs people like "us" (civil servants) who deeply care about the nation and not their digital ranking.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guarantee they'll delve deeper into it too with the impending "cell phone election", that's a neat and frightening concept.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like this season isn't the best proof that Hajime is challenged though. i mean s1 was its own thing and for a while we didn't know if they'd continue, much less focus the continuation on the harmful potential of CROWDS.

i'm very optimistic about this season, it just seems weird to dismiss a valid complaint about s1 largely based on stuff from 1.5 episodes of an incomplete s2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dogsicle posted:

i feel like this season isn't the best proof that Hajime is challenged though. i mean season 1 was its own thing and for a while we didn't know if they'd continue, much less focus the continuation on the harmful potential of CROWDS.
i'm very optimistic about this season, it just seems weird to dismiss a valid complaint about s1 largely based on stuff from 1 and a half episodes of an incomplete s2.

Yeah but the stinger at the end of S1 was clear in that public access Crowds had harmful effects

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I don't really get why people are saying OD is flaming?

Jou clearly lit a cigarette with his flamin' rear end manly spirit, and is thus the most flaming in the whole cast.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Conot posted:

I don't really get why people are saying OD is flaming?

Jou clearly lit a cigarette with his flamin' rear end manly spirit, and is thus the most flaming in the whole cast.

OD is so fabulous that just being near his suit reduces you to your constituent atoms.

It's very difficult to top that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah but the stinger at the end of S1 was clear in that public access Crowds had harmful effects

a season-end cliffhanger would probably not compensate for ~12 episodes of pro-Hajime in the eyes of somebody who does take issue with her. s1 watchers may have been looking for more depth on that front and were disappointed, but this season is entirely about opposition so...problem solved?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that "you should embrace the future" and "the future can cause bad things" are contradictory viewpoints to hold, so I don't see the show ever really disagreeing with Hajime, and I don't think it's ever going to feel like she made a mistake. I also don't think this stops her from being interesting to watch!

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
When I first watched season one, I initially assumed that Hajime and Sugane would be foils and she'd teach him to be less dogmatic and inflexible while he'd teach her something about duty/responsibility or just how to communicate effectively with people. But it pretty quickly became clear that Sugane was just some random nerd and Hajime was a quasi-messianic figure who was right about everything all the time and her actual foil was Berg-Katze. Which is fine, and I enjoyed the show well enough overall, but I don't recall a single point in season one when it felt Hajime was wrong about a thing by the show's logic and I'll be really incredibly surprised if there's a point in season two which changes that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't think that "you should embrace the future" and "the future can cause bad things" are contradictory viewpoints to hold, so I don't see the show ever really disagreeing with Hajime, and I don't think it's ever going to feel like she made a mistake. I also don't think this stops her from being interesting to watch!

rvm
May 6, 2013

dogsicle posted:

a season-end cliffhanger would probably not compensate for ~12 episodes of pro-Hajime in the eyes of somebody who does take issue with her. s1 watchers may have been looking for more depth on that front and were disappointed, but this season is entirely about opposition so...problem solved?

Yeah, they've introduced an opposition... in the form of terrorist organization.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My problem with Hajime is that she just kinda does what she wants no matter how selfish it may seem, and is always correct to do so

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also she is never in a swimsuit

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hajime turned Berg into Fabo Gig by suffocating him so that was pretty cool

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hajime is basically teenage twitter buddha and Im perfectly ok with that. J.J is basically old school buddha and figured out his brand of enlightenment is just not attainable now days.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hajime is a powerful teen

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Namtab posted:

Also she is never in a swimsuit
You can probably find art of her wearing Utsutsu's getup.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's no good if it's not official

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you look under the skirt, do you see a bulge?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You see whatever your heart tells you

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i'm worried about rui's knees in that pose.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

There's definitely going to be one somewhere.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

Let's pool money and find out

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Davincie posted:

I don't know, but if you look at this picture, you see the best girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

First season isn't nearly about Hajime as you are making it seem. She's got a strong presence in the first half but Rui and Katze takeover eventually. Also her milk revolt was foreshadowing the CROWDS chaos pretty hard. Sure she didn't seem to suffer any repercussions for it but I don't think the show was saying she was right. Also I didn't ever get the impression that she 'won' against Katze.

• Locked thread