Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sequel to the stylish 2013 anime Gatchaman Crowds. Just gonna quote the Wikipedia article's synopsis.

quote:

The series takes place in the early summer of 2015 and is set in the city of Tachikawa, Japan. A "second metropolis" of Tokyo, Tachikawa is protected by the Gatchaman, warriors who fight in special reinforced suits powered by the manifestation of their spiritual powers called NOTE. Following the introduction of their newest member, the energetic and cheerful Hajime Ichinose, the Gatchaman must deal with Berg Katze, an enigmatic alien creature bent on destroying Earth just like it did with several other planets in the past.

One year after Berg Katze is stopped, the CROWDS system developed by Rui Ninomiya has spread among the Japanese society, shortening the gap between the population and the government. However, this new era of peace is threatened by the mysterious organization "WAPE", calling the Gatchaman to action once more, including two new members, one being Rui and the other being the impulsive Tsubasa Misudachi, who becomes Hajime's new partner.

Same people working on the show, including :siren:Taku Iwasaki:siren: (Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, JoJo Battle Tendency, among many others) as the composer.

Why Should I Watch
The first season was well-animated, making good use of CG and bright colors, had an amazing soundtrack by Taku Iwasaki, and was overall an entertaining romp with an optimistic view and simple but idealistic message about social networking and people working to help each other. Also Berg-Katze was an amazing villain. Basically it's fun+entertaining, and if the second season is anywhere near as good it'll be a fun ride.

If you haven't watched the first season I'd recommend doing that, there's still time to binge it before this season starts airing.

Where/When Can I Watch
It's available on Crunchyroll every Saturday starting the 4th.

New Characters

Tsubasa Misudachi (voiced by Kaori Ishihara)

A 16-year-old second year high school student from Nagaoka in Niigata Prefecture. She is also a new Gatchaman, and as a Gatchaman she is Hajime's new partner. She has an impulsive personality. When she's angry she slips into her home city's dialect.

Rizumu Suzuki (voiced by Yuichiro Umehara)

A 19-year-old medical student at a famous university. A realist, he regards Crowds and Rui as dangerous, and starts a mysterious organization.

Gelsadra (voiced by Kana Hanazawa)

An alien who makes an emergency landing in a space ship in front of Tsubasa's house, and so becomes attached to Tsubasa. Gelsadora is a pacifist, and so is under the protection of the Gatchaman.

Returning Cast

Hajime Ichinose (voiced by Maaya Uchida)

An energetic and empathetic schoolgirl who often comes off as strange due to difficulty expressing her thoughts to others, Hajime was the heroine of the first season wherein she pushed the stagnating Gatchaman to action. She currently has the villain of the first season, Berg-Katze, living inside of her.

Sugane Tachibana (voiced by Ryota Osaka)

Described by Hajime as being "straight like an arrow," this earnest and stubborn kendo practitioner acted as her partner for the first season. Her actions resulted in him realizing that "having a social life" and "not having a stick up your rear end" are important qualities for a person to have.

Joe Hibiki (voiced by Daisuke Namikawa)

A depressed Tokyo University graduate and small-time bureaucrat, his passion for justice was re-ignited by Sugane during the finale of the first season.

Utsutsu Miya (voiced by Kotori Koiwai)

An introverted alien refugee on Earth, she originally only talked to O.D but learned to open up to the other Gatchaman by the end of the first season. Has the ability the create clones of herself and to take and give life with her right and left hands, respectively. Likes to wear swimwear.

Paiman (voiced by Aya Hirano)

A small, panda-like alien refugee and self-proclaimed leader of the Gatchaman on Earth. The loss of his best friend to Katze had left him despondent and cowardly until he shook off his funk during the finale of the first season. Tells everyone he hates pandas but secretly likes them.

O.D (voiced by Daisuke Hosomi)

A flamboyant alien refugee on Earth. Though originally lamenting his inability to transform into a Gatchaman, this turns out to be a lie as he is actually the most destructive Gatchaman, to the point that merely existing in that state destroys everything around him. Was manipulated by Katze into destroying his homeworld and so grew lazy, but played an important part in the first season's finale, retrieving Rui's NOTE from Katze and allowing Rui to give CROWDS to everyone.

Rui Ninomiya (voiced by Ayumu Murase)

A young genius who developed the revolutionary social networking service GALAX and the sentient A.I. that runs it, President X. Obtained a NOTE from Katze that allowed him to grant anyone the ability to project their soul as a superhuman CROWDS. He was manipulated by Katze to bring about Earth's destruction through abuse of the CROWDS, but saved the day in the end by trusting in and giving everyone the ability to use CROWDS.

President X (voiced by Sakura Tange)

A sentient A.I. created by Rui that manages his GALAX system.

Berg-Katze (voiced by Mamoru Miyano)

A depraved alien, former Gatchaman, and villain of the first season. Has destroyed multiple worlds, and always seeks to do so by manipulating the inhabitants. Can levitate, teleport, turn invisible, and mimic the appearance of anyone he kisses. Is currently stuck inside of Hajime and tries to tempt her into violence. Hajime is not amused.

J.J. Robinson (voiced by Katsuji Mori)

This snake-like man is the guardian of many worlds, including Earth. He protects them by materializing individuals' souls as NOTEs that allow them to transform into Gatchaman, as well as providing cryptic prophecies in the form of poems and origami.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 15, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Excited as gently caress for more moments like this in the future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting that Episode 0 opened with the Gatchaman team strutting their stuff in a big, heroic superhero action sequence when the first season was all about casting a sceptical eye on that as a form of heroism and a means of conflict-resolution. If we're sticking with a similar outlook in this second season, that's actually a pretty troubling sign for the direction the world's been going in. Maybe Katze actually has been rubbing off on Hajime a little too much?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
G-G-G-GATCHAMAAAAAAN!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I thought I was excited for this to come back.

Then I started Episode 0 and In the Name of Love started playing.

I realized I hadn't been nearly excited enough.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The world is ready for Gatchaman.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, love the tag.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I just saw Crowds for the first time like a week or two ago and boy what a fantastic show. Turns out my idiot friend is still a moron cause he told me to skip it because it wasn't an Action MOTW Show like old Gatchaman.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Episode 0 is a really good way to get even more excited for this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Senerio posted:

I thought I was excited for this to come back.

Then I started Episode 0 and In the Name of Love started playing.

I realized I hadn't been nearly excited enough.

Totally.

drat it crunchyroll pick this up too, you still have the first season streaming! :mad:

Hajime intensifies

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wasn't aware of the OVA until just recently, so I'm giving it a watch, and my God they subbed the OP. I'd forgotten how ridiculous it is. It's also a really good OP.

Oh it's just the director's cut 12th episode. Lame.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 3, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

OP, please mention that the music will be super loving rad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am pumped as hell for this. Hajime is rad, all the old characters are cool, and the new ones look fun, too.

Gonna have to run this on loop for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0I9LQ2EOA

: >

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

chumbler posted:

I am pumped as hell for this. Hajime is rad, all the old characters are cool, and the new ones look fun, too.

Gonna have to run this on loop for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0I9LQ2EOA

: >

I wish we could make this loop automatically while folks are in this thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope they put out some new phone wallpapers; I switched back to the old Galax one but some new ones would be nice.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I hope they put out some new phone wallpapers; I switched back to the old Galax one but some new ones would be nice.

mind reposting them?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought I had one saved that didn't have the text on it but can't find it. I've switched phones since then so it's probably on the dead one.

edit: found the CR blog post I originally got it from but I don't think it's on the Gatchaman site anymore.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/01/14/video-gatchaman-crowds-bd-boxset-trailer-and-merchansdise-updates

And somebody on reddit reproduced Hajime's phone background, when I found it I switched to this one because it's super cute : >

http://www.clothpaperyarn.com/kind-of-crafty/ (more sizes)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

thanks!

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Let's hope it lives up to the hype. It's still the same writer, director, and music composer as last time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The first season was pretty drat good, but I hope this one doesn't have everyone worship the ground Hajime walks on as much. Also don't really like Rui having a suit (I thought it was way cooler that they were so effective without needing one) but hopefully that goes well enough.

I know nothing about Gatchaman other than this series, so there not being a whole lot of action in the show never really bothered me. I figure the same sort of thing'll happen this season, since from what I remember, the first part of season 1 had more fighting in it too.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You really think someone would do that, just go on the Internet and kill the prime minister?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wolfman Nards posted:

Let's hope it lives up to the hype. It's still the same writer, director, and music composer as last time.

I'm just waiting for the new soundtrack to drop, more than anything.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Everything Burrito posted:

I thought I had one saved that didn't have the text on it but can't find it. I've switched phones since then so it's probably on the dead one

edit: found the CR blog post I originally got it from but I don't think it's on the Gatchaman site anymore.

I think there's just the one to promote the then DVD/Blu Ray release. There's a tumblr post that still has the links to the iOS and Android wallpapers: http://dark-pit.tumblr.com/post/73484895180/galax-mobile-wallpapers-iphone-4s-5-5-ios-7
The current selection on the website right now are the S1 cast icons: http://www.vap.co.jp/GATCHAMAN_Crowds/special/special02.html

maybeflan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 3, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Devil Tesla posted:

You really think someone would do that, just go on the Internet and kill the prime minister?

Lazyness is the number one enemy of all terrorist plots. I could go down to the book depository--but then I'd have to put on pants.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Still the drat coolest.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rui's suit is pretty rad as it exemplifies his strengths: because he is the internet, he can be everywhere at once.

And it's a very action packed opening, but the show is still playing to some of its original themes: understanding, dialogue, and an unyielding hope in the best of human nature. Suzuki's not a mindless thug, as a medical student, he should exemplify the most enlightened of modern society. And so the conflict is that he has a different viewpoint of Crowds than Hajime and Rui, he's not getting defeated by being punched out until he stops moving. While his defeat should be different from what happened to the neo-hundred leader of S1, it should occur along similar lines.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Rui's suit is pretty rad as it exemplifies his strengths: because he is the internet, he can be everywhere at once.

And it's a very action packed opening, but the show is still playing to some of its original themes: understanding, dialogue, and an unyielding hope in the best of human nature. Suzuki's not a mindless thug, as a medical student, he should exemplify the most enlightened of modern society. And so the conflict is that he has a different viewpoint of Crowds than Hajime and Rui, he's not getting defeated by being punched out until he stops moving. While his defeat should be different from what happened to the neo-hundred leader of S1, it should occur along similar lines.

Yeah, I was a little skeptical of Rui being a Gatchaman at first but his greatest contribution in that fight was support by getting people to where they needed to be. As for the villain...he has a point, Crowds IS quite dangerous in the wrong hands. Like his hands. Is he deliberately abusing it to show everyone how dangerous it is? I've forgotten a lot from the original series, I should probably give it a rewatch before getting into Insight. What happens to the user of a Crowds when it gets beaten down?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Slime posted:

Yeah, I was a little skeptical of Rui being a Gatchaman at first but his greatest contribution in that fight was support by getting people to where they needed to be. As for the villain...he has a point, Crowds IS quite dangerous in the wrong hands. Like his hands. Is he deliberately abusing it to show everyone how dangerous it is? I've forgotten a lot from the original series, I should probably give it a rewatch before getting into Insight. What happens to the user of a Crowds when it gets beaten down?

If a Crowds is killed, the user goes into a coma. (Permanently? Not clear) The Gatchas developed a way of merely stunning the Crowds in season 1, in which case the user simply loses consciousness.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Really glad I watched the first season, it was super cool and charming!

Also really glad that they're going in the direction of "maybe the Crowds aren't that great guys." Most of season 1's ending felt like a set-up for that kind of situation anyways.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Really glad I watched the first season, it was super cool and charming!

Also really glad that they're going in the direction of "maybe the Crowds aren't that great guys." Most of season 1's ending felt like a set-up for that kind of situation anyways.

Season One basically set up a sort of global empowerment like universal suffrage on steroids (a link could also be made to gun laws, but CROWDS are far more versatile tools with far more benign functions in addition to being powerful weapons). That has its good and bad points, but when everyone's superpowered, taking superpowers away from people that a nation's rulers don't like is an extremely double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's a power that can cause enormous damage in the wrong hands, but limiting CROWDS access as a tool of repression just like restricting suffrage and internet access is an extremely dangerous temptation.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fangz posted:

If a Crowds is killed, the user goes into a coma. (Permanently? Not clear) The Gatchas developed a way of merely stunning the Crowds in season 1, in which case the user simply loses consciousness.

In the BD-only episode (can't remember if it with in the aired finale) Hajime is able to restore them--she turns the "dead" Crowds into NOTEs and those return to being part of the person's soul, presumably.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

In the BD-only episode (can't remember if it with in the aired finale) Hajime is able to restore them--she turns the "dead" Crowds into NOTEs and those return to being part of the person's soul, presumably.

Which I think signifies that you do the same thing either way - you smack a CROWD hard enough to cube it (no apparent upper limit, so go nuts), and then Rui or the Gatchaman HQ fixes you up (ideally once the police have shown up to cart you away).

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Is there a way for the authorities to identify which CROWDS belongs to which bodies? That's not clear to me. Seems you can become a CROWDS and go on a rampage and no one is the wiser.

Love seeing Hajime giving Katze the beat-down. For some reason, I thought O.D. might've died in the final episode of the first season. Glad to see he's back.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Is there a way for the authorities to identify which CROWDS belongs to which bodies? That's not clear to me. Seems you can become a CROWDS and go on a rampage and no one is the wiser.

Maybe criminal CROWDS get locked up somehow? Dunno, but I'm guessing they'll explain it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I hope none of that gets explained because it doesn't matter.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Remember to watch the Director's Cut from the first season if you haven't, since it's hugely important.
I think a lot of people missed it since it took a while to get released, then to get subs.

Twazuk
Oct 3, 2010

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Remember to watch the Director's Cut from the first season if you haven't, since it's hugely important.
I think a lot of people missed it since it took a while to get released, then to get subs.

Honestly I was so confused by the final episode I had to watch it again to make sure I hadn't missed an entire scene or something.
Remember kids, Google is your friend.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Both episode 0 and 1 are up on CR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Both episode 0 and 1 are up on CR.

Whoa really? Hells yes!

• Locked thread