Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Steve2911 posted:

I know WB is a terrible idiot child and wont let it happen,
As if you wouldn't do the exact same thing in their situation.

I mean, obviously this stuff becomes oversaturated (looking at you, Assassin's Creed!), but they're a business and probably don't want to leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table for no reason.

edit: They'd probably be trying to make Batman games regardless, we should all just be glad that they made games that are, on the whole, pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mr. Freeze has a giant ice tank. Shoot it with the Batmobile. :shepicide:

Pretty much. I think I'm tired out of Batman: Mech Commander.

I played through this game quickly just to get the ending, and I liked it. Now I'm playing again to 100% it for the real ending, and I don't think I really like the game that much anymore. There really aren't that many villains in the side missions, and when you encounter the villain in a tank, they might as well be anybody. I finally got to encounter Slade after he spends a lof of monologue speaking about redeeming himself against you, and after I finally did 30 tank battles in the campaign for disarmament to fight him, I was rewarded with another tank battle. Slade, I beat you hand-to-hand in Arkham Origins. Killing me with a tank does not redeem you.

This game took the weak boss battles of the previous game and made them worse by making them all tank battles instead. And with how well integrated the Batmobile is into the normal mobility they could have done some really cool things.

How about a boss battle where the Batmobile is on autopilot and is being pursued by a tank while Batman has to chase the tank from the rooftops, land on it, and dismantle pieces of it by hand?

Or a physical villain like Killer Croc. Where Batman can't physically hurt Croc, but can press L1 to call the Batmobile to slide into him just like I've done 100 times to street punks.

There wasn't a single creative boss battle yet. I haven't fought Riddler yet though, but I'm assuming I either punch him once or fight him in the Batmobile.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bump

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Human Crouton posted:

There wasn't a single creative boss battle yet. I haven't fought Riddler yet though, but I'm assuming I either punch him once or fight him in the Batmobile.

The AK predator fight was pretty fun, if nothing mind blowing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr E posted:

After beating the game finally and just youtubing riddler ending crap, I think I overall enjoyed City and even most of Origins more than this game. This is mostly due to the fact that I absolutely hated the batmobbosses and the plot. Not to say that City and Origins had amazing plots, but at least they didn't have a Knight's identity "secret" and had challenge rooms.

Yeah no. Origins had a crappy rear end upgrade tree and big rear end city that was boring to glide around. Not to mention one of the most unfriendliest places to explore later in the game with only one exit.

Plot wise though? Eh.

Joker here was better than Origins Joker. I will concide with Origins still having a better plot because I hate Jason Todd. Really wish he wasn't the Arkham Knight.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Yeah no, I don't believe you for a second when you said Origins is better with it's crappy rear end upgrade tree and big rear end city that was boring to glide around.

Plot wise though? Eh.

Joker here was better than Origins Joker. I will concide with Origins still having a better plot because I hate Jason Todd. Really wish he wasn't the Arkham Knight.

I should have said parts of Origins :cheeky:. I of course like the upgrades and such more in Knight than in Origins cause holy poo poo the challenge based upgrades were terrible in every way.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shindragon posted:

Yeah no, I don't believe you for a second when you said Origins is better with it's crappy rear end upgrade tree and big rear end city that was boring to glide around.

Plot wise though? Eh.

I don't really understand hating the plot, most of the focus seems to be "I GUESSED WHO THE ARKHAM KNIGHT WAS", Scarecrow is actually really awesome, as was the way they used Joker. The knight wasn't very well integrated with the plot but I don't see how you could call it a bad Batman story.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Human Crouton posted:

How about a boss battle where the Batmobile is on autopilot and is being pursued by a tank while Batman has to chase the tank from the rooftops, land on it, and dismantle pieces of it by hand?

Or a physical villain like Killer Croc. Where Batman can't physically hurt Croc, but can press L1 to call the Batmobile to slide into him just like I've done 100 times to street punks.
Not bad!

I always liked the idea of using the Batmobile as a Predator assist (a la the hacking distractions), where you could call it from inside the building to shoot a cannon at it to freak out the dudes walking around, or have them run away from that wall/area. You wouldn't even need to see it or drive it, you would just highlight a wall and you get one BOOM per Predator sequence before they would realize you're just loving with them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It wasn't bad, just the Arkham Knight was just really obvious. I did say Origins was a bit better because it was rear end in a top hat rookie Batman and learning to be less of an rear end in a top hat.

He was just one big rear end whiny brat. I mean I liked Scarecrow. I just wish there were more nightmare inducing story segments like ones similar to Arkham Asylum and what not. I mean sorta did but it just left me wanting more.

edit: If I had to be clear about the plot.

I give Origins a slight edge over Knights but I still enjoyed the plot for Knight. Scarecrow was indeed awesome and John Noble nailed the hell out of it. I mean in Asylum the VA sounded more goofy, but here Noble just sounded down right menacing.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ugh, gently caress all the co-ordinate bullshit beause for some reason they are super super tiny on my screen and drat near impossible to read.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I got a heck of a glitch the other night, finally transferred over my screenshots.

It was just floating there after I finished a mission.

You couldn't grapple to it, but you could glide on top of it. Once I entered it, it immediately plummeted into the water and then got locked in a loop where it would reset the car right above the water and drop it back in without giving me enough time to launch out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The game's story is about Batman's guilt over what happened to The Joker and his resulting internal struggle. It's not about Scarecrow's plan or the Arkham Knight at all. In that regard, it's a brilliant story and rounds off the trilogy as a fully told tale

The problem is that they put WAY too much emphasis on the least important elements, which are no where near as interesting or entertaining. They also decided to make a big mystery about AK, which did nothing but make people focus on how obvious it was.

Basically they buried one of the best stories in gaming this past few years under militaristic bullshit. TDKR did a similar thing. Ending a Batman trilogy without an army is hard I guess. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder what it is about third entries in Batman mediums that require people to bring in military elements.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I really liked the game a lot. The Joker stuff was awesome, Noble as Scarecrow was amazing and the Batmobile was a lot of fun, aside from the fact that I liked the Predator encounters (and adaptive mooks) and h2h combat a lot.

Also the game is full of cool stuff for Batman fans that I really enjoyed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Steve2911 posted:

The problem is that they put WAY too much emphasis on the least important elements, which are no where near as interesting or entertaining. They also decided to make a big mystery about AK, which did nothing but make people focus on how obvious it was.
It's only obvious if you're more well versed in Batman's history than 85% of the population.

Until after the stuff that happens in the movie studio, which is SUPPOSED to point you in the right direction.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder what it is about third entries in Batman mediums that require people to bring in military elements.

You saw a weird version of Batman Forever. :)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Every single Nolan Batman has military elements in abundance, I can't imagine what else you'd be referring to

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Thanks Frank Miller.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not super up on my Bat comics but doesn't one of the more popular ones involve a military occupation of Gotham? I think it was No Man's Land?

Plus I think it's just the natural tendency to escalate stuff and go bigger and better. You spend a couple of games (or movies) watching Batman pummel the poo poo out of hapless street thugs and mobsters, eventually you need to up the ante to pose a threat. Having him face off against a well equipped, organized foe is a pretty natural way to do that.

net cafe scandal posted:

Every single Nolan Batman has military elements in abundance, I can't imagine what else you'd be referring to

Yeah but in the first two Nolan movies it's mostly only Batman that's militarized. He doesn't actually fight a militarized foe until the third film. That kind of ties into that line about escalation at the end of Begins. Bruce Wayne decides to take on muggers and the mob by dressing up in a kevlar bat suit and driving a tank around while using a ton of advanced military tech. Eventually the criminals bring their own tanks.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

It's only obvious if you're more well versed in Batman's history than 85% of the population.

Until after the stuff that happens in the movie studio, which is SUPPOSED to point you in the right direction.

The major problem there is that the movie studio stuff is borderline incoherent if you're not versed in Batman stuff. It's the sort of thing that would have worked if it had been foreshadowed and developed in an earlier game but s it stands its is effectively building off major-but-unmentioned history.

To be fair Ra's/Talia has that problem too in City.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

net cafe scandal posted:

Crane and Joker don't take over Gotham with huge armies.

Neither did Joker in AA or Joker/Strange/R'as in AC.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm not super up on my Bat comics but doesn't one of the more popular ones involve a military occupation of Gotham? I think it was No Man's Land?

Plus I think it's just the natural tendency to escalate stuff and go bigger and better. You spend a couple of games (or movies) watching Batman pummel the poo poo out of hapless street thugs and mobsters, eventually you need to up the ante to pose a threat. Having him face off against a well equipped, organized foe is a pretty natural way to do that.

They didn't actually do that as well as they should have - the characters have a very "THIS TIME ITS SERIOUS" attitude, but the threat doesn't seem to be that much greater than Arkham City. Military occupation isn't that much more terrifying than "every violent criminal from the eastern seaboard is running free in a walled city".

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

They didn't actually do that as well as they should have - the characters have a very "THIS TIME ITS SERIOUS" attitude, but the threat doesn't seem to be that much greater than Arkham City. Military occupation isn't that much more terrifying than "every violent criminal from the eastern seaboard is running free in a walled city".

Yeah I agree. the intent is clear but they didn't entirely pull off the execution.

I got a kick out of hearing the militia dudes say stuff like "Batman's used to dealing with petty criminals, he has no chance against hardened soldiers like us!" because it makes sense, but at the same time, whenever I heard that I would go and lay down a vicious rear end whooping, so...

You can also overhear a conversation at one of the watchtowers where one soldier complains about sitting around on guard duty when he thought he was going to get a shot at killing the bat. Another guard says "this IS how you take out the Bat. You own the skies, and he has to fight on our terms, where we have the advantage." Again, cool bit of writing but it kind of doesn't have the same impact when you're overhearing this conversation from an overheard beam, which you just reached by gliding over like it it's no big deal. So much for controlling the skies.

It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to have more of those militia drones flying around, or give the turrets on the watchtowers a bigger field of fire so that the player actually feels constricted when trying to fly/grapple around. As it stands you're really not impeded at all.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 8, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem there is that the movie studio stuff is borderline incoherent if you're not versed in Batman stuff. It's the sort of thing that would have worked if it had been foreshadowed and developed in an earlier game but s it stands its is effectively building off major-but-unmentioned history.

To be fair Ra's/Talia has that problem too in City.

I'll have to ask my wife about how it looks to somebody who probably had no idea before they started playing this game that there were more than one Robin. I think the clues are there.

One plot thing that was too obvious to everyone, I think:

Henry Adams was clearly going to be evil. The dude's just TOO innocent. I actually can't believe they had him shoot himself, my guess was that he was going to run away with Harley and that's how they were going to "bring back" the Joker.

Actually, a great arc would have been for that to occur and Joker-as-Batman dealing with an imposter using his name.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

theflyingorc posted:

I'll have to ask my wife about how it looks to somebody who probably had no idea before they started playing this game that there were more than one Robin. I think the clues are there.

Henry Adams was clearly going to be evil. The dude's just TOO innocent. I actually can't believe they had him shoot himself, my guess was that he was going to run away with Harley and that's how they were going to "bring back" the Joker.

Actually, a great arc would have been for that to occur and Joker-as-Batman dealing with an imposter using his name.

It really should have been obvious based on his initials.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perry Normal posted:

It really should have been obvious based on his initials.

...Oh wow.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

theflyingorc posted:

Honestly my initial guess was that he was Joker's father, explained the immunity and the similar appearance, could have been played interestingly I think but oh well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

The game's story is about Batman's guilt over what happened to The Joker and his resulting internal struggle. It's not about Scarecrow's plan or the Arkham Knight at all. In that regard, it's a brilliant story and rounds off the trilogy as a fully told tale

It would make perfect sense with the theory that Batman basically knows who AK is but refuses to acknowledge it/is in denial. It would explain why he sends Alfred on a wild internet goose chase to distract him from the truth he already knows.

But then they block recording of the AK boss fight/reveal on the PS4 version and I don't know what their intentions would be other than thinking it actually IS a even halfway-decent twist.

I'll agree with the guy earlier who said that Hamill returning as Joker was a way bigger/better twist than AK's identity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I'll agree with the guy earlier who said that Hamill returning as Joker was a way bigger/better twist than AK's identity.

That'd be more exciting if he hadn't spoiled he was working on dialogue for AK so everyone guessed he'd show up as a fear hallucination (if not to the extent he did.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ImpAtom posted:

That'd be more exciting if he hadn't spoiled he was working on dialogue for AK so everyone guessed he'd show up as a fear hallucination (if not to the extent he did.)

I didn't check out interviews or whatever before the game. really felt awesome when he popped up on top of a building for the first time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I did a good job of staying away from hype or info so I had no idea. When he popped up that first time during the Ace sequence I jumped right out of my chair.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Levantine posted:

I did a good job of staying away from hype or info so I had no idea. When he popped up that first time during the Ace sequence I jumped right out of my chair.

Same. There's absolutely no reason to expect it and the whole section has already made you tense as gently caress.

It's an example of a jump scare done excellently.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ImpAtom posted:

Same as those guys. Media black out for me. :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ImpAtom posted:

I knew he was doing the voice but I expected it was just for a flashback like him killing Jason Todd the second Robin or shooting Barbara Gordon. Since I thoroughly enjoy Hamill Joker it was a great surprise for him to be so prevalent throughout the game. I actively look around for him on top of buildings after doing side quest stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, I felt so vindicated when I got to him in-game. I had absolutely no idea he was going to be involved and let out a cackle when he first came on screen.

Also look at Babs in detective mode. There's a break in her spine where she got shot. :v:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 8, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Sure, but they like money and have one of the most profitable IPs in existence so that ain't gonna happen.

At the very least i think the Brand has grown enough that it can drop the Arkham angle. Despite having a character named Arkham Knight, it featured so little in the game itself. City you can kind of understand because the concept was supposed to the "this is an asylum city", but Origins and the 3rd game have kinda helped pivot away to just the Batman Brand.

Like you could easily just start saying Batman Origins or Batman (Gotham) Knight and I don't think it would feel strange at all.

I'm with you on the episodic style content though.

The one thing that's always bugged me about these sandboxy type games is that developers/publishers very rarely hang around to really fill it up before moving onto the next one.

How cool would it be for Rocksteady to keep churning out 6-8 hourish DLC, (maybe at $15-$20 a pop) that keeps adding new storylines and inner explorable areas to the city to the point where every part feels like one you could genuinely explore for more content. Maybe that would be the way of keeping it cost effective.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
C'mon, Arkham World.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

After listening to the arkham knight's audio tapes I kinda hope he's the Robin in the batgirl dlc, purely because of the definite emotional attachment there. I think there was more a believable connection in those tapes than there was between Barbara and Tim all game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CJacobs posted:

C'mon, Arkham World.

Arkham Island

wait a minute...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

After listening to the arkham knight's audio tapes I kinda hope he's the Robin in the batgirl dlc, purely because of the definite emotional attachment there. I think there was more a believable connection in those tapes than there was between Barbara and Tim all game.

I agree, which unfortunately is why it's probably going to be the first Robin/Nightwing. He's the one who's spent the least time with Barbara in the series so far and so is a clean slate for them to work with.

• Locked thread