Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
When I was little I used my mums chequebook almost exclusively for making airline tickets for my stuffed toys.

In hindsight she probably wasn't that happy about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Desuwa posted:

I can't fathom a 14 year old getting excited about checks like that. Checks are what old people use at the cashier when they want to hold up everyone behind them.
You ever see old people with credit or debit cards? They still take the same amount of time.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Horking Delight posted:

Uh maybe people lied to me but I thought you could just write "VOID" in big letters over a check and it wouldn't be cashable? Is that not true?

OP posted:

I didnt realize there was a word you could put on the check to make it fake. I just kept telling them over and over that it was just a souvenir check

I filled them out because i wanted to fill out some checks, but not have it count for anything. I kept telling my friends they were fake checks. i just learned down below that there's a word that you can write to make it a fake check but i didn't use that. Does it count that I kept telling them it was just a souvenir?

Seriously? I TOLD them they were fake

Yeah this kid was totally duped by his friends.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm having a hard time being all that sympathetic to that kid. Yea, whoever cashed the check is a lovely person, and honestly he should have a chat with that person, probably while holding a baseball bat. But come on.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looking through the P2P loans. Hmm, credit grade A5, amount required $28,800. Sufficient income for repayments. Alright what this for? Explanation: Nothing. Loan purpose: Computer.

That'd better be a pretty loving amazing computer for that price. I get that feeling that if I asked them for their name the response would be 'computer'.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
$28,000 will buy you a lot of bitcoin miners.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Given the backlog of 45,000 transactions I'm wondering how long miners can wait for their payouts. I suspect some would go broke within a month and others would have the local mafia beat them up.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hocus Pocus posted:

What even is a souvenir check? Is that the term for those fake promotionals you sometimes get in the mail?

This is a good occasion to remind everyone that this actually happened: http://patrickcombs.com/95g/

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

Looking through the P2P loans. Hmm, credit grade A5, amount required $28,800. Sufficient income for repayments. Alright what this for? Explanation: Nothing. Loan purpose: Computer.

That'd better be a pretty loving amazing computer for that price. I get that feeling that if I asked them for their name the response would be 'computer'.

it's a flight simulator and if you don't help them live their dream up amongst the clouds then screw you, mudman :argh:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

it's a flight simulator and if you don't help them live their dream up amongst the clouds then screw you, mudman :argh:

I've quite often thought "gently caress this person borrowing money to have better stuff than me".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This is a good occasion to remind everyone that this actually happened: http://patrickcombs.com/95g/

Ugh, this came up in another thread today but I couldn't find it. So I started combing through the fine print of my bank's term's and conditions to see if they mentioned anything about weather or not notations on the face of the check were binding or something to that extent but I couldn't find anything :(

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

dead lettuce posted:

Yeah this kid was totally duped by his friends.

I don't want to be the fun police here, but I'm betting that it is just a troll thread.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

THANK YOU. I was thinking to myself "wait, didn't that basically happen but it was some lovely junk mail company that got hosed and it was awesome?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

THANK YOU. I was thinking to myself "wait, didn't that basically happen but it was some lovely junk mail company that got hosed and it was awesome?

I remember the full story was floating around somewhere, looks like it's just the book now :(

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

I work on real FAA-Level-D we-actually-train-aircrews-on-this flight simulators for a living; any sim they can build themselves for $29K is weak as hell. ;)

(In all seriousness, getting this job broke me of my "must have the most powerful computer I can afford" habit - once I saw these dream systems and knew I could never afford them, it really brought the diminishing returns of computer price into focus. I could pay out the nose for the highest end consumer computer equipment and still barely even move closer to what I knew was the best, so why bother paying all that extra money?)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

CitizenKain posted:

I'm having a hard time being all that sympathetic to that kid. Yea, whoever cashed the check is a lovely person, and honestly he should have a chat with that person, probably while holding a baseball bat. But come on.
This is how I feel about the matter. A talk in a dark, damp basement with a baseball bat is in order.

That said, I had checks since I was ~10 and I never tried to give them away. I also just hit my second book (25 checks per book) last spring, and I've had that box of checks since 2005! It has my address from 2 houses ago on it, but that doesn't matter much really. I only use it for government payments eg parking tickets.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It sounds like it's more the bank that got hosed...but if you want to find out how, you have to... buy the book! (or book him for $5500 at your event)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jeez. Whoever said that people on Grand Designs are bad with money weren't joking. I'm watching a rerun that starts in ~2005. They have a £350k mortgage on a flat in London, their countryside house (which they had £300k mortgage on) burnt down... and they found out their insurance had lapsed.

So now they are going to rebuild it for £200k (which will go up, knowing people on GD). Money they aren't even approved for yet.

So they'll be a minimum of £850k in debt from housing alone. They don't strike me as people who can easily afford this neither.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 8, 2015

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
I read that junk check story a few years ago, and I never really understood why he couldn't be prosecuted. Sure, the bank messed up, and blew their own policies, but he knew the check was fake and intentionally presented it as real for deposit.

I don't understand how that isn't clear-cut theft by deception or fraud. If I know a $100 bill is fake and deposit it "as a joke" maybe the bank should catch me but I've committed a crime either way, no?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
It was legally a valid check.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
I'm just going by what that link says, where he describes it as an "obviously false, fake-cheque? (Did I mention it had “non-negotiable” clearly written on it?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The law says "non-negotiable" doesn't invalidate the check, at least according to the article. It was obviously intended to be fake, but so were the checks in the other anecdote, written by that kid. What's the difference? The advice given to the kid was "intimidate whoever you gave the checks to", that's precisely what the bank did in this situation. The issue should be between the bank and the check issuer, not the bank and the depositer.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Fair enough, and since his story is apparently true and he's not in jail, that must be the case.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Isn't this technically considered bank fraud?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

BigDave posted:

The check he was sent (and deposited) was a legally valid check.

So...no.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

To use the same analogy, if you are given a $100 bill, and think it's fake, deposit it, and actually it was a real $100 bill...would you be liable for fraud? Wouldn't think so!

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Right, it's a unlikely scenario but it played out here. Man attempts bank fraud (to be funny?) depositing check he believes is fake. Check is actually facially valid so man does not go to prison for 10 years. Bank is still out $95,000 though because....? Man gives back $95,000 anyway.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Was it legally valid, though? If it were it would have dinged the junkmail company's account for $95k, which is not really any skin off the bank's nose, they just move money from account A to account B when asked (via endorsed check). It would have been on the junk company to chase him down for getting all of it back, but it was the bank who was obsessively going after him for it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

BigDave posted:

Only on behalf of the junk mailer guys

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zauper posted:

The check he was sent (and deposited) was a legally valid check.

So...no.

The detailed part of the story is that he didn't believe they would actually put the money in his account. He got in quite a fight with bank security so he picked up a book on law relating specifically to banks. It turned out it's the same book everyone uses in the banking industry. He was in the clear and the bank knew it. Unless he had the intent to commit fraud they can't charge him with fraud.

Same as the idiots who present fake cheques that were sent by Prince Joe Eboe in Nigeria believing that it's real. They don't get charged for fraud because there was no intent.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm guessing while technically a valid check (why would the fraud guys put a real account on the check?) that there wasn't enough money in the account to cover the transaction, and the check did end up bouncing, but the bank hosed up and didn't realize it bounced until well after the legal period had passed.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

Was it legally valid, though? If it were it would have dinged the junkmail company's account for $95k, which is not really any skin off the bank's nose, they just move money from account A to account B when asked (via endorsed check). It would have been on the junk company to chase him down for getting all of it back, but it was the bank who was obsessively going after him for it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation though.

It was. The bank refunded the mailers money because they decided to, and then went after the guy so they weren't out it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zauper posted:

The bank refunded the mailers money because they decided to, and then went after the guy so they weren't out it.

I missed that part. The bank is straight up retarded then.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Devian666 posted:

Same as the idiots who present fake cheques that were sent by Prince Joe Eboe in Nigeria believing that it's real. They don't get charged for fraud because there was no intent.

No one can prove you're not an idiot who genuinely believes a fake check is real.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Leopold Stotch posted:

Right, it's a unlikely scenario but it played out here. Man attempts bank fraud (to be funny?) depositing check he believes is fake. Check is actually facially valid so man does not go to prison for 10 years. Bank is still out $95,000 though because....? Man gives back $95,000 anyway.

How is this bank fraud, even if you have a suspicion that the check is fake? What if it was a fake and you didn't know it?

What if I accidentally try to deposit a check that I've already e-deposited into my bank?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Radbot posted:

How is this bank fraud, even if you have a suspicion that the check is fake? What if it was a fake and you didn't know it?

What if I accidentally try to deposit a check that I've already e-deposited into my bank?

Intent requirements have plenty of precedent - it's certainly plausible for it to be illegal to deposit a check you believe is fake(as he did). If it were a fake check, he might well have been arrested.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
that bank was BWM is what happened

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Yes clearly he broke the laws and the banks didn't sue him into oblivion right away because

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zauper posted:

It was. The bank refunded the mailers money because they decided to, and then went after the guy so they weren't out it.

That's where the bank hosed up. If they had realised that bullying this guy and threatening his elderly mother wouldn't get their money back they would have told the company to get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Devian666 posted:

That's where the bank hosed up. If they had realised that bullying this guy and threatening his elderly mother wouldn't get their money back they would have told the company to get hosed.

Junk and Spammers make money by being unbelievable dickheads, I'm sure trying to deal with them in any way concerning money is a giant poo poo fest.

• Locked thread