Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

BurritoJustice posted:

AMD CPUs horrendously have horrendous single thread performance (less than half as fast as an equivalent i5), which is what matters for 99% of consumer workloads. Even if you load up all eight cores with high parallel work, they underperform intel CPUs. They also have substantially higher power draw (which actually leads to more expensive motherboards) and an outdated platform (PCIE 2.0 heyo). There really is no advantage of the FX CPUs over equivalently priced or even cheaper Intel CPUs.

I don't know if you're gaming or not but 90% of games are bottlenecked in some degree by that CPU.

A $100 i3 + a $50 motherboard would be cheaper than the CPU alone and be shitloads better for gaming. Really if you have the option I'd just return it all.

:colbert: Excuse me, sir, AMD CPUs don't bottleneck Hearts of Iron 3. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

teagone posted:

While I'm well aware of how poorly AMD FX processors fare in gaming compared to Intel (my current gaming PC was built around a Core i3 4330 and a GTX 970), how bad of an idea would it be to consider an AMD FX-8320 + mainboard upgrade for a computer whose sole purpose is a Plex Media Server and nothing else? Right now my Plex Media Server is an AMD Phenom II X4 840 on an MSI 880GM-E43 mainboard with 8GB of RAM. It can transcode, at max, around 3 to 4 simultaneous 720p 4Mbps before chugging it hard and the remote clients start stuttering/buffering. I'm getting new internet soon with decent upload speeds and would like to be able to dish out multiple 1080p transcodes at 8-10Mbps bitrate. I'm looking for a cheap solution where I can hopefully just drop in a new mainboard and CPU into my existing PMS.

It looks like the 8320 has basically as much performance as an i5-4590 spread across twice the number of cores (i.e. half the performance-per-core) at twice the power consumption. MicroCenter has the i5-4590 for $160, the going price for the 8320 seems to be $140, so I would say that seems like a bad deal.

Have you considered trying GPU-accelerated transcoding, or Intel QuickSync? Those have the potential to be much faster than a standard CPU encoder, at the cost of a somewhat lower-quality output. But I'd think the bitrates you're running should be enough that doesn't matter.

I'm not sure either the 8320 or the 4590 will be able to dish out 40mbps of transcoding, plus HTTP(s?) serving, etc without hardware assistance of some kind. That's a lot of data to push. You'll definitely need to think through all the bottlenecks from disk to client.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 27, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Paul MaudDib posted:

It looks like the 8320 has basically as much performance as an i5-4590 spread across twice the number of cores (i.e. half the performance-per-core) at twice the power consumption. MicroCenter has the i5-4590 for $160, the going price for the 8320 seems to be $140, so I would say that seems like a bad deal.

Have you considered trying GPU-accelerated transcoding, or Intel QuickSync? Those have the potential to be much faster than a standard CPU encoder, at the cost of a somewhat lower-quality output. But I'd think the bitrates you're running should be enough that doesn't matter.

I'm not sure either the 8320 or the 4590 will be able to dish out 40mbps of transcoding, plus HTTP(s?) serving, etc without hardware assistance of some kind. That's a lot of data to push. You'll definitely need to think through all the bottlenecks from disk to client.

I'm not entirely sure how Plex transcodes content, or if the Plex transcoder would/could even make use of GPU acceleration (it works on-the-fly on a per client basis as content is requested). My Phenom II X4 has no problems pushing out three simultaneous transcoded streams at 3 to 4MBps each, so I was hoping a cheap AMD solution with a shitload of cores could push me into the multiple 8Mbps 1080p transcoded streams territory. I didn't realize the 4590 was $159.99... though, the 8320 is $139.99 on Newegg and I don't to have pay tax or make the 30min trip to a local Microcenter if I go that route.

[edit] Ehh, I'll probably end up getting the 4590, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 27, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

teagone posted:

I'm not entirely sure how Plex transcodes content, or if the Plex transcoder would/could even make use of GPU acceleration (it works on-the-fly on a per client basis as content is requested). My Phenom II X4 has no problems pushing out three simultaneous transcoded streams at 3 to 4MBps each, so I was hoping a cheap AMD solution with a shitload of cores could push me into the multiple 8Mbps 1080p transcoded streams territory. I didn't realize the 4590 was $159.99... though, the 8320 is $139.99 on Newegg and I don't to have pay tax or make the 30min trip to a local Microcenter if I go that route.

[edit] Ehh, I'll probably end up getting the 4590, haha.

plex transcoder doesn't do any gpu acceleration on any platform.

i think it goes without saying in the amd thread but don't buy an amd cpu

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Generic Monk posted:

plex transcoder doesn't do any gpu acceleration on any platform.

i think it goes without saying in the amd thread but don't buy an amd cpu

AMD agrees.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-project-quantum-intel-cpu,29430.html

and in todays entry for wild acquisition speculation
http://www.kitguru.net/components/anton-shilov/microsoft-is-interested-to-buy-advanced-micro-devices-source/

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm not really seeing where Microsoft would really benefit from buying AMD. Of all the companies that could use AMD's technologies and patents, Microsoft isn't really one of them. They get most of their revenue from software and not hardware. I think the Samsung conglomerate buying out AMD is more likely, or geez, even NVIDIA.

On another note, where's the Carrizo laptops at? I know Intel's Core M and other Broadwell CPUs took the wind out of their sails, but I'm not seeing anything from AMD on this front. Weird, because their new mobile platform might actually be good!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm not really seeing where Microsoft would really benefit from buying AMD. Of all the companies that could use AMD's technologies and patents, Microsoft isn't really one of them. They get most of their revenue from software and not hardware. I think the Samsung conglomerate buying out AMD is more likely, or geez, even NVIDIA.

On another note, where's the Carrizo laptops at? I know Intel's Core M and other Broadwell CPUs took the wind out of their sails, but I'm not seeing anything from AMD on this front. Weird, because their new mobile platform might actually be good!

Microsoft does have their Surface and Lumia brands for mobile. They could apply AMD tech in those products, right?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Wouldn't MS potentially piss off regulators as soon as they start making AMD specific "optimisations" (or look like the are)?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think it would be much different than Apple using only Motorola/IBM/Intel processors. At the very least, it would be a hell of a lot better R&D budget for MS-AMD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

teagone posted:

Microsoft does have their Surface and Lumia brands for mobile. They could apply AMD tech in those products, right?

I don't think Microsoft wants to apply "lovely power hog" technology to devices focused on battery life. Latest Atom is something no AMD design can meet for power efficiency in a phone, and for the Surface tablets an AMD chip would be bad all around..

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jeff Bezos will buy AMD.

You heard it here first, folks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I always wonder why so many people think AMD would be a great buy for other companies but then I remember that AMD is in the "ah gently caress why not" price range. Google paid way more to sit on a bunch of Motorola patents

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nationalize AMD.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

GrizzlyCow posted:

Nvidia would gain very little from a bunch of cpu technology since their agreement with Intel for their cpu ip has a, you may already have guessed this, non-compete clause :v:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

VostokProgram posted:

Nationalize AMD.

What would America do with AMD? Probably mine some bitcoins, we don't know. :shrug:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I always wonder why so many people think AMD would be a great buy for other companies but then I remember that AMD is in the "ah gently caress why not" price range. Google paid way more to sit on a bunch of Motorola patents

WhyteRyce posted:

As kitguru pointed out, the market cap of AMD is somewhat close to what MS is paying annually for Xbox chips. Although they'd still need to negotiate with Intel for x86 licensing due to the poison pill in the current agreement between Intel and AMD.

Also puts them in a weird (but not necessarily bad) spot of supplying chips for the PS4 as well though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DuckConference posted:

As kitguru pointed out, the market cap of AMD is somewhat close to what MS is paying annually for Xbox chips. Although they'd still need to negotiate with Intel for x86 licensing due to the poison pill in the current agreement between Intel and AMD.

Also puts them in a weird (but not necessarily bad) spot of supplying chips for the PS4 as well though.

Microsoft's been the top non-Apple software seller on the Mac since either 1987 or 1989 too though. It wouldn't be unfamiliar territory.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MS makes a bunch of money off Samsung smartphones so maybe they should just continue the policy off making money off competing products

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Microsoft's been the top non-Apple software seller on the Mac since either 1987 or 1989 too though. It wouldn't be unfamiliar territory.

Yeah and samsung makes a ton of the chips in iphones (not precisely the same thing but comparable.) Companies like to protect their brands but they like short term dolla even more.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DuckConference posted:

I imagine Sony would be as willing (and more desperate) to drop The Insurance Money on it, for the same reasons.

And yeah, winning the console war because you make money on every unit your competitor sells is so delicious you can already hear your doctor complaining about your diet.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Bad King posted:

What would America do with AMD? Probably mine some bitcoins, we don't know. :shrug:

Incendiary munitions.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
AMD is leading the world in space heater miniaturization

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

For more information about Advanced Micro Device's contributions to national security and defense, please see our ad in Spec Ops: The Line.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You joke, but that was a pretty great game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You joke, but that was a pretty great game.

Modern-era cover-based shooter in the desert where you play as a super tactical US military operator buff dude in an adaptation of Heart of Darkness that tells you to feel bad for playing it after you willie pete some people who shouldn't be willie peted.

I still fail to see why people think that game is fantastic, but I digress.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Kazinsal posted:

Modern-era cover-based shooter in the desert where you play as a super tactical US military operator buff dude in an adaptation of Heart of Darkness that tells you to feel bad for playing it after you willie pete some people who shouldn't be willie peted.

I still fail to see why people think that game is fantastic, but I digress.

Spec Ops is liked because the game constantly hammers home a deconstruction of the modern FPS "hero", such to the point that all references to the main character are actually fourth wall references to the player. I mean if you only felt bad about using WP on the civilians and not literally everything you do and the consequences of such then you kinda missed the forest and maybe a few trees.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-halts-mantle-optimizations-for-current-and-future-graphics-cards/
AMD doesn't even like Mantle anymore...
:ohdear:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amds-chips-are-down-even-further-1436291963
RIP, AMD x86 sales...
:smith:

With that stock price, a GoFundMe campaign could buy out the company.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 8, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Bad King posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-halts-mantle-optimizations-for-current-and-future-graphics-cards/
AMD doesn't even like Mantle anymore...
:ohdear:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amds-chips-are-down-even-further-1436291963
RIP, AMD x86 sales...
:smith:

With that stock price, a GoFundMe campaign could buy out the company.

That WSJ article is paywalled, but WSJ allows you to read the whole article if you come to it through a google search.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

The shortfall was blamed on weak PC sales, along with a one-time charge for pushing more of its chip production to newer manufacturing technologies.

I think Dr. Su is doing the right thing making the jump to newer manufacturing technologies, a side effect of which is a hit to the earnings reports in the near term.

Of course the FinFET products can still flop, but at least there's a chance there for some success.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Rastor posted:

I think Dr. Su is doing the right thing making the jump to newer manufacturing technologies, a side effect of which is a hit to the earnings reports in the near term.

Of course the FinFET products can still flop, but at least there's a chance there for some success.

I think Lisa Su is what AMD needs, someone to plan long term for a company that's shot itself in the foot countless times in with short term planning. I hope AMD returns to being a success, hopefully aquiring their own foundries again.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Don't worry, it's basically DX12 and Vulkan.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Riso posted:

Don't worry, it's basically DX12 and Vulkan.

Well the problem with Vulkan is that AMD isn't going to make any money off of it. Which seems to be a general problem when AMD tries to innovate, their innovations get ignored completely or ignored long enough that someone comes along and does it better.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Which seems to be a general problem when AMD tries to innovate, their innovations get ignored completely or ignored long enough that someone comes along and does it better.

Mantle was pretty easy to ignore, they only ever shared the SDK with their Gaming Evolved partners (ie. barely anyone).

They eventually released the paper spec but not until Vulkan was announced and killed all interest, and they never did release the tools to the public.

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 8, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's pretty much what I'm doing this year, an i3 (don't laugh) setup worth about $1.1k (most of the cost is from the ridiculous amount of drives). And to create value I'm gonna stuff it with a bunch of drives with ZFS raid z3 to hold all the crap my brother and I amass. I'm not sure I should be going with anything stronger than an i3 for that.

I wish I went with ECC on my AM3 mini ITX desktop-turned-NAS experiment from 3 years ago instead of just turning it into a gaming box to burn it out, though.

Are you still looking for an AM3 CPU? I've got an older Phenom II x4 920 I'm not using, I had an AM3 box I upgraded years back and kept the old CPU/heatsink. I don't have any use for it, gave my old AMD tower to my dad and beefed it up a bit so he could play his flight sim games.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Dont ask me how, but AMD have a new WHQL driver, 15.7 7 months late.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Please visit reputable PC hardware sites. Mantle was given over to the Khronos Group, along with a note that said, "Here. Copy-paste anything in Mantle you like into Vulkan." (Aka, OpenGL 5)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

Are you still looking for an AM3 CPU? I've got an older Phenom II x4 920 I'm not using, I had an AM3 box I upgraded years back and kept the old CPU/heatsink. I don't have any use for it, gave my old AMD tower to my dad and beefed it up a bit so he could play his flight sim games.
Nope, I'm just going to go with the i3 project for the time being. Thanks though.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Please visit reputable PC hardware sites. Mantle was given over to the Khronos Group, along with a note that said, "Here. Copy-paste anything in Mantle you like into Vulkan." (Aka, OpenGL 5)

Oh, okay. Well then...:unsmith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

AMD earnings are out
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsarticle&ID=2068551

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2439571

quote:

Q1 2012 1203M$ CPU revenue.
Q1 2013 751M$ CPU revenue.
Q1 2014 663M$ CPU revenue.
Q1 2015 532M$ CPU+GPU revenue.
Q2 2015 379M$ CPU+GPU revenue.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
They gonna be kicked out of the billionaire's club and drop out of the Fortune 500. Take Two Interactive is worth more than AMD now :ohdear:
The custom/embedded segment is officially larger than computing&graphics now, and they're burning mad cash with no end in sight.

quote:

Computing and Graphics segment revenue decreased 29 percent sequentially and 54 percent from Q2 2014.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 17, 2015

• Locked thread