Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think it's a problem or blatantly pushing some kind of agenda, but that is a funny amount of coincidence, especially the "blindfolded/bull/two keys" thing if that's true.

It isn't a funny amount of coincidence when the crazy guy who made that had to go through 19 episodes of a kid's TV show to come up with like 5 vaguely related things, including that there happens to be a white girl and a black boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

It isn't a funny amount of coincidence when the crazy guy who made that had to go through 19 episodes of a kid's TV show to come up with like 5 vaguely related things, including that there happens to be a white girl and a black boy.

That's true, this is literally the only time I've ever heard about the show.

And by "funny" I don't mean creepy /weird, I mean funny like slipping the "finger Prince" gag into Animaniacs.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I saw that on chan board somewhere. people are morons, everyone on the interenet who reads into stupid poo poo and tries show it as new greatest evil on face of the earth because it because it "supports" something that isnt "their narrative/line of thinking is dumb gently caress. these people are right wing tumblrinas but they are too stupid to see it. The people who write that poo poo are angry lonely dudes who are mad that they cant get laid/ or a date. there are tons of small groups of these guys whinging and debating on the best methods of getting laid/dating. its very sad but amusing as hell.

Whats great is checking out all the conspiracy videos they have posted and rather than getting all mad at them for being racist pieces of shits, you can instead send them and their fans over the de by saying they all watch a little girls show and they are manchilds Also yeah they're tumblerinas, just like a tumblerina they scour the internet looking for some slight in media that they could see as an attack on their pet identity.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. if they didnt come from money, these guys would probably be the dudes i talked about. sitting around on wizard chan/wherever and planning to shoot themselves if they hit 30 without touching a lady.

It depends really.

There's a lot of people around here who likely were in the shoes of the aforementioned and had that type of attitude. Chuck C. Johnson was DEFINITELY bullied while in school. You can tell even without the stories that have come out about the guy.

The difference is between some random dude and these guys? The random dude likely had to grow out of the attitudes and kind of discovered better things to do with his time than to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat about it. Random dude also probably didn't come from the type of money that those assholes came from, so he's had to experience a lot of problems that people actually have to go through. So, you know..Empathy is picked up.

I think I personally could have been in agreement with a lot of those rear end in a top hat viewpoints if not for the fact that I've had some tough times happen to me in the past couple of years. The economy collapsing in 2007/08 has had some silver linings in some ways.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kids shows are so all over the place with plot and random poo poo that you could use any of them to prove anything you like

Also, Bulldogs were bred for bull-baiting so someone super obsessed with the kink probably wouldn't include them at all, let alone make them the thing everybody rallies around

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crowsbeak posted:

Whats great is checking out all the conspiracy videos they have posted and rather than getting all mad at them for being racist pieces of shits, you can instead send them and their fans over the de by saying they all watch a little girls show and they are manchilds Also yeah they're tumblerinas, just like a tumblerina they scour the internet looking for some slight in media that they could see as an attack on their pet identity.

Good points.

FuzzySkinner posted:

It depends really.

There's a lot of people around here who likely were in the shoes of the aforementioned and had that type of attitude. Chuck C. Johnson was DEFINITELY bullied while in school. You can tell even without the stories that have come out about the guy.

The difference is between some random dude and these guys? The random dude likely had to grow out of the attitudes and kind of discovered better things to do with his time than to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat about it. Random dude also probably didn't come from the type of money that those assholes came from, so he's had to experience a lot of problems that people actually have to go through. So, you know..Empathy is picked up.

I think I personally could have been in agreement with a lot of those rear end in a top hat viewpoints if not for the fact that I've had some tough times happen to me in the past couple of years. The economy collapsing in 2007/08 has had some silver linings in some ways.

Yeah. I sadly can see alot of my self in people like them if i went in a right ward direction or if i didnt have good parents who taught me about how to respect people or have empathy/sympathy for others.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

You'll shoot your eye out(please do)

I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of grouping he could get with a 357 with a barrel that short.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of grouping he could get with a 357 with a barrel that short.

Probably do alright as long as he loads .38s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Andrew Jackson was one of the primary influences on the Democratic Party and Southern political culture

He also hated secessionists and South Carolina in particular.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

computer parts posted:

He also hated secessionists and South Carolina in particular.

One of my favorite quotes from him is "gently caress South Carolina in particular"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tender Bender posted:

That's true, this is literally the only time I've ever heard about the show.

And by "funny" I don't mean creepy /weird, I mean funny like slipping the "finger Prince" gag into Animaniacs.

Yeah I mean there's part of me that kind of wants some crazy show creator to be slipping that kind of message into a kid's show on purpose because it's endearingly crazy and will never actually affect anything.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:ese::911:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oops double post

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

It depends really.

You would think that dudes who experienced bullying would come to the realization that "Hey, that poo poo wasn't fun at all. Why would I want to treat others the way I was treated?".

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

You would think that dudes who experienced bullying would come to the realization that "Hey, that poo poo wasn't fun at all. Why would I want to treat others the way I was treated?".

Most do, those guys were going to be assholes whether they were bullied or not.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mr Interweb posted:

That's if they grow up to feel like they have power. If you internalize powerlessness you just shrug and say "this is the way the world works" and then go on to bully people to get that taste of power while generally casting yourself as the underdog fighting against the overarching cultural-Marxist liberal misandrist syndicate.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah I mean there's part of me that kind of wants some crazy show creator to be slipping that kind of message into a kid's show on purpose because it's endearingly crazy and will never actually affect anything.

It wouldn't be the first time someone in entertainment slipped some nods and references into their current work to a previous work, crew, or audience. It's not exactly uncommon.

The insanity definitely comes from thinking it matters in any way or that the show somehow pushes that on the whole.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So, how are the preteens who watch this bulldog show supposed to know what these obscure, hidden symbols even mean? Let's say the creator DID work in a few kink references into the background of his kids' show. Will the kids who watch it have some kind of switch flipped in their brains that turns them into cuckold fetishists because there was a scene where one key was bigger than the other?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was going to say "wait til these idiots read literally anything about Wonder Woman" but like gently caress they'll read anything not about a man.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 9, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leofish posted:

So, how are the preteens who watch this bulldog show supposed to know what these obscure, hidden symbols even mean? Let's say the creator DID work in a few kink references into the background of his kids' show. Will the kids who watch it have some kind of switch flipped in their brains that turns them into cuckold fetishists because there was a scene where one key was bigger than the other?

Rocko's Modern Life made me question a lot of things as a kid.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

I love that they focus so much on the purported subliminal messaging in a kids show BUT VIDEOGAMES CAN'T BE SEXIST BECAUSE--

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Takoluka posted:

Rocko's Modern Life made me question a lot of things as a kid.
Of course, the entire point of that show was openly being subversive, and it was 100% adult-oriented humour. The Rocko guy got hired despite openly saying at the start "I don't write for children", which was apparently what Nick was going for at the time while trying to build their reputation as an "edgy" network aimed at college students and adults, much like Cartoon Network did later on.

It wasn't a kids show, so I'm not surprised if all the kids watching it ended up asking some questions by the end. They got into trouble with the censors quite a bit, and at least one of their episodes got banned from the airwaves, and a lot of episodes had scenes permanently cut after viewing. Only Germany ever got uncensored versions of the show I think?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Oh goody some crazy Master Shake floated by today.

Countdown until they turn on Jeb for...something. I don't know, a world where people have to work more seems like the Republican fantasy world?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

I love that they focus so much on the purported subliminal messaging in a kids show BUT VIDEOGAMES CAN'T BE SEXIST BECAUSE--

This was Games normal reaction less than a year ago.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"I love that Vanilla Ice!" --actual Mark Levin quote from last week. Hearing him say stuff like that in his best Dana Snyder voice makes slogging through his poo poo worth it. Sometimes.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Oh goody some crazy Master Shake floated by today.

Countdown until they turn on Jeb for...something. I don't know, a world where people have to work more seems like the Republican fantasy world?

Jeb is the establishment guy that they all hate right now. Don't worry, when he inevitably gets the GOP presidential candidacy they'll turn around and say how smart he was for saying Americans need to work more. Same poo poo as with Romney.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think that's the difference between guys of those ilk and someone like say, Penn Jillette.

Penn Jillette believes in some terrible ideas mind you, but it's not out of spite, but rather some form of sincere belief. He sincerely believes privatization of a lot of things is a good idea and would help people of all types. Is he wrong? Yes, but at least it's not wrong in the manner of purposely wanting to harm people.

During the whole Indiana "RELIGIOUS FREEDOM" bullshit, he was on the side of those going "Bake the loving cake, assholes", despite that being viewed as "Government overreach" by a lot of those types.

McInnes, Crowder and Chuck C. Johnson are like what you described. They're assholes hiding behind a dumb idealogy to justify their ability to be assholes.

How did Jillette overcome being a Libertarian and support the gay rights movement here?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How did Jillette overcome being a Libertarian and support the gay rights movement here?

Because he's a social/fiscal libertarian.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

At least some small percentage of libertarians do genuinely adhere to the social 'live and let live' stuff as well as the economic 'gently caress you got mine' side.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I don't want to summon jrode to the thread or anything, but supporting government protection of minorities is not actually against logical libertarian principles that are applied equally to both sides of the transaction. Basically if you think, in support of a free market, that businesses when they open themselves opt in to giving a stated service to all who walk through the door then bigoted assholes are infringing on access to the market of customers. Bigots are attempting to distort the market by refusing to serve certain customers and forcing them to go elsewhere.

Libertarians pretend that stuff like the civil rights act is somehow against libertarian principles. It's really not. It's only against libertarian principles if you ignore pesky things like, "customers." Libertarianism is cargo cult economics seeking to further underpin white privilege with "logical" justifications. White supremacists used to just go to the Bible and say, "see here, it says god doesn't like race mixing!" They know they can't do that anymore, though, so they moved on to cloaking their support of white privilege in a way that sounds, to a lot of uneducated people, like real economics.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 9, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

At least some small percentage of libertarians do genuinely adhere to the social 'live and let live' stuff as well as the economic 'gently caress you got mine' side.

Theoretically libertarians are supposed to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. In practice Republicans coopted the movement something fierce.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I hope Rush doesn't doctor his transcripts. He fell for a story about tampons for trans women. Then after the commercial claimed he knew all along and wanted to mess with the audience. He explicitly said 'this isn't the onion' before the commercial.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Theoretically libertarians are supposed to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. In practice Republicans coopted the movement something fierce.

They didn't co opt the movement, being fiscally conservative is inimical to ensuring your society is socially liberal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Penn thinks the govt is nearly always inefficient and causes waste when it messes with people's lives too much. as such he is one of the more old school libertarians who thinks gay marriage should be legal, the govt should not be siding with religion on things like 10 commandments in courthouses, abortion should be legal, drugs should be legal, and then dovetails in lassiez faire economics where there should be super low taxes, privatization, etc.

he may be annoying and often very wrong but compared to like Rand Paul he is almost an entirely different set of opinions.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Theoretically libertarians are supposed to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. In practice Republicans coopted created the movement something fierce.

The modern libertarian party was a creation of wealthy execs and business owners mad about the New Deal, it was never anything but fiscally and socially conservative from the get-go, which is why libertarians supported Jim Crow and South African Apartheid as regrettable violations of liberty that were necessary to preserve civilization from the Swart Gevaar

Nintendo Kid posted:

They didn't co opt the movement, being fiscally conservative is inimical to ensuring your society is socially liberal.

This. Fiscal conservatism is social conservatism: it advocates concentrating power in the hands of the existing (white, male, straight, Christian) elite

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Of course, the entire point of that show was openly being subversive, and it was 100% adult-oriented humour. The Rocko guy got hired despite openly saying at the start "I don't write for children", which was apparently what Nick was going for at the time while trying to build their reputation as an "edgy" network aimed at college students and adults, much like Cartoon Network did later on.

It wasn't a kids show, so I'm not surprised if all the kids watching it ended up asking some questions by the end. They got into trouble with the censors quite a bit, and at least one of their episodes got banned from the airwaves, and a lot of episodes had scenes permanently cut after viewing. Only Germany ever got uncensored versions of the show I think?

Yeah I think in a lot of ways Rocko's Modern Life is basically the perfect cartoon in that aspect. I think there's a lot of cartoons that seem to tilt towards the "FOR KIDS" angle, while the hidden jokes on shows like RML or Regular Show make them excellent/

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Because he's a social/fiscal libertarian.

That was actually my belief system before I went further and saw how terrible that overall mindset is in a lot of ways. In theory it's nice, but in practice it really doesn't work out too well.

Re: The Cake.

He argued in theory that the "Free Market" would take care of things and run those assholes out of business. Which is...right/wrong in some ways. However, I think he kind of understood the amount of far right loons this country has, then realized (sadly) that theory wasn't going to work in that regard.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

I hope Rush doesn't doctor his transcripts. He fell for a story about tampons for trans women. Then after the commercial claimed he knew all along and wanted to mess with the audience. He explicitly said 'this isn't the onion' before the commercial.

I need these transcripts the moment they are available

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was actually my belief system before I went further and saw how terrible that overall mindset is in a lot of ways. In theory it's nice, but in practice it really doesn't work out too well.

And it's why Atlas Shrugged goes over so well with teenage boys. Libertarianism sounds great until you experience actual hardship.

And the whole ~*~socially liberal/fiscally conservative~*~ thing is bullshit anyway. If you're fiscally conservative, your policies are probably loving over the people that the socially liberal policies are supposed to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I enjoy listening to our brand of nutjobs here in Ohio. We have a station called WNIR who has two dumb limbaugh-clones in the vain of Bob Golic (Saved by the Bell, former Browns great :smith: ) and Jim Isabella.

The latter was pretty much flat out lying about what was being taught in schools in our state last night last night. His thought pattern/opinions were:

1. No child ever is being taught anything prior to entering school at age 6 these days. They come into kindergarten not knowing how to read/write.
2. Children are being taught how to put a condom on a banana in the 5th grade (A classic lie told by Rush Limbaugh)
3. It's bad to teach Children Sex Education because it encourages them to "EXPERIMENT" and have Sex Anyways. We shouldn't be teaching this in Ohio Public Schools any more.
4. The only thing being taught in school is how to have sex.

Which would be nice if you know...Ohio didn't endorse "Abstinence only" education...

http://jezebel.com/children-of-ohio-you-are-officially-screwed-when-it-co-474352940

But it currently does, and has for quite some time. Also I posed a question about this to my 2 co-workers if this was taught in their own public school districts (it wasn't for me). They both said "Nope". It's incredible how people like him get away with flat out lying to people, and then a bunch of racist morons call in to pat him on the back, then bitch more about minorities/"young people"/liberals.