Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

Not really a game (though it has achievements), but it turns out a Folding@Home app has popped up on Android so you can put your idle phone's unused processing power towards helping science.

Cool, so I can drain my battery at twice the speed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

tentish klown posted:

Awesome, I can drain my battery *even faster than normal*

i was reloading posted:

Cool, so I can drain my battery at twice the speed!

really lovin' these hot takes please keep them comin'

if you're downloading an app with the express purpose of using your spare processing power and energy for the advancement of science then complaining about battery use then I don't even know

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone got a recommendation for a good tower defense? Ideally one not riddled with IAPs?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a good tower defense? Ideally one not riddled with IAPs?

The Kingdom Rush games (KIngdom Rush, Frontiers, Origins) are pretty great. Anomaly Defenders is also pretty decent too.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I finished Lifeline a couple of days ago, getting basically a perfect playthrough on my first time through. The writing is real rough YA-lit kinda stuff, but the concept and execution is a really cool way to elevate the Interactive Fiction genre in a very different way. I'm not sure if having just finished reading Andy Weir's The Martian improved my appreciation of the game (due to similarities in content) or hurt it (due to similarities in overwhelming snarkiness of the main character), but it served as an interesting companion to that experience. If you liked Lifeline at all, I'd recommend picking up The Martian.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I finished Lifeline a couple of days ago, getting basically a perfect playthrough on my first time through. The writing is real rough YA-lit kinda stuff, but the concept and execution is a really cool way to elevate the Interactive Fiction genre in a very different way. I'm not sure if having just finished reading Andy Weir's The Martian improved my appreciation of the game (due to similarities in content) or hurt it (due to similarities in overwhelming snarkiness of the main character), but it served as an interesting companion to that experience. If you liked Lifeline at all, I'd recommend picking up The Martian.

I was just about to post how Lifeline seems like The Martian: The Game.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long does Taylor sleep for on the first night? I've gotten two notifications since he or she went to sleep saying "Taylor is waiting for you", but there wasn't anything new in the app.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any games like Choplifter where you're a rescue chopper going around rescuing POWs or civilians? I know of that one by inxile but it runs like doodoo on my tablet.

Or hell, even something like Triplane Turmoil... a sidescrolling pseudo-flight sim set in WW1 where you had to land to refuel/rearm and you'd go on missions.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 8, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mrkillboy posted:

The Kingdom Rush games (KIngdom Rush, Frontiers, Origins) are pretty great. Anomaly Defenders is also pretty decent too.

Cool, I'll check em out. thanks.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool, I'll check em out. thanks.

You don't need to buy heroes or anything, those games are easily playable without IAP.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Bloons td5 is my goto td game.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

mrkillboy posted:

I've played quite a bit of Kingdom Rush. Easy to learn, very hard to master. Each level gets exponentially harder... Which is a good thing.

I haven't tried those other ones out, which is what I'm going to go do right now!

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Frogmanv2 posted:

Bloons td5 is my goto td game.

Super fun game, however it turns my phone into a hot potato.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

hooah posted:

How long does Taylor sleep for on the first night? I've gotten two notifications since he or she went to sleep saying "Taylor is waiting for you", but there wasn't anything new in the app.

A few hours. Same thing happened to me.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

New Leaf posted:

A few hours. Same thing happened to me.

And the same thing is happening to me. Does it stop after the first night?

Edit: I'm confused because I looked up 150 rads and that seemed enough to cause radiation sickness, yet staying away from the reactor was apparently not the right choice. Whatever. Using fast mode now, but it definitely probably does take away from the experience.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 8, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Edit: I'm confused because I looked up 150 rads and that seemed enough to cause radiation sickness, yet staying away from the reactor was apparently not the right choice.

I got bit by the same trap. I guess that idea is that 150 rads may well kill you at some point in the future, but freezing will kill you right now.

Incidentally, every time I go into the app, the text is all the way at the top. Is there a way to get to the bottom quickly that isn't 'flick the screen like you're spinning the Price is Right wheel'?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I got bit by the same trap. I guess that idea is that 150 rads may well kill you at some point in the future, but freezing will kill you right now.

Incidentally, every time I go into the app, the text is all the way at the top. Is there a way to get to the bottom quickly that isn't 'flick the screen like you're spinning the Price is Right wheel'?

Mine did that for a while then fixed itself. No word on whether or not it will go back eventually..

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

What is max level?

I got Luther, but don't use him. Most of my damage comes from abilities.

Max level for a card is 15, it'll cost you around 3k souls to max a purple. If your damage comes mostly from abilities then yeah, Luther's not the best, but if you're using board clears and shuffles then that extra damage is tasty as gently caress. Even in an all-round team it's fantastic dropping enemies in 2-3 hits rather than 4-5, so if you have a card on your team that isn't pulling their weight then Luther's never a bad sub.

More Gems of War talk;

My team's kind of a mess and lacks focus (avatar with blue backstab weapon/Luther/Gorgotha (Doomstones, explodes 3+Magic(4@15) gems)/Raven (why didn't anyone tell me his Magic goes up to SEVEN, a 10 damage execute is the best thing!) Generally speaking, if I can get Doomstones off (15 brown/yellow) the mana is neverending. 2/3 of a board's worth of mana/skulls, even at 70% return on the mana, plus cascades... that's a lot of mana with a light smack round the head for the other team thrown in. It's a risky play if things are close, but by the time Doomstones goes off they're missing a card and Luther's fired once or twice, so it takes a fuckload of bad luck for things to go wrong. It's entirely possible that the bad AI is the only thing allowing my team to work, but who knows.

I've considered subbing out Gorgotha for Skeleton (Raise the Dead) but it's just too fragile to be useful. There aren't really any other easily obtainable skullmakers, which sucks. Sphinx is a less risky shuffle but doesn't refill your cards' mana, so you end up firing Doomstones more often.

PS: I've started to see 2-colour weapons pop up on players at level 60+, some that do interesting stuff like buff your entire team's Magic + do area damage in a single strike...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I have zero utility in my group, I'm all damage. I've got a Furry group going now.. Ranger, Druid, and that Bear guy you could buy with PVP tokens, and a purple weapon on my character. It's not a terrible mix really, just based on utilizing every piece of mana I pull (other than brown but the bear needs them on the board for damage on his power), so I just destroy everything with overwhelming force. I know it won't last forever, but it's fun to coast with right now.

I also pulled the Goblin King legendary right before the update, so I'm glad they changed the ability with this patch. It was garbage before- so garbage I didn't even read it more than once to remember what it was. Now he "summons goblins".. not sure what that even means. I may need to make a Goblin team and try him out if I had souls to level them.

EDIT: Also, Lifeline talk- I'm getting the whole "Taylor = girl" thing the further I get into it. Not to be sexist or anything. I guess a guy could have rambling freakouts like that. But the voice in my head as I'm reading is changing from guy to girl as time goes on.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It definitely reads like a girl.

I got hosed by the radiation thing too. 35% chance of death is too high, I thought. Game over. I really like the thing, and for 70 of Google rewards pennies? I've spent way more on apps that are far inferior.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Well, you read it like a girl. The ambiguity is purposeful, they want you to project onto it. This technique has been used for ages.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah sorry I did mean 'definitely reads like a girl to me'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I still think Taylor is a clueless male undergrad. This was my first impression and nothing so far proves otherwise, but it's obviously intentionally ambiguous.

Although a woman wouldn't be able to smash a metal door open, am I right? :mrapig:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I also pulled the Goblin King legendary right before the update, so I'm glad they changed the ability with this patch. It was garbage before- so garbage I didn't even read it more than once to remember what it was. Now he "summons goblins".. not sure what that even means.

I fought a guy with it earlier today. If there's an empty spot on your side, he fills it with a Goblin. His was maxed out and summoned level 5 Goblins.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Anybody here play Terraria mobile version? Should I give it a shot?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I invaded a player who had a dragon legendary that created 8 red gems, then turned all red gems into skulls. It only went off once, but the resulting skull matches killed two of my troops.

Where are you finding the information on mana cost for abilities?

Similar to Luther is the alcoholic guy, Lem the Lucky, perhaps? He has "Cheers" which grants a random +5 skill to the other troops on the team. +5 Magic is nice.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

i was reloading posted:

It's pretty good, but crashes occasionally. It didn't roll back anything when I restarted it though, so it was more of an annoyance than something that made it unplayable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

i was reloading posted:

It makes my phone super hot, and I don't like the touchscreen controls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i was reloading posted:

I've played quite a bit of Kingdom Rush. Easy to learn, very hard to master. Each level gets exponentially harder... Which is a good thing.

Frontiers and Origins are significantly more balanced/"fair" than vanilla Kingdom Rush, while also being more tricky and having a lot more happening on the maps (especially Origins).

I remember by the time I got to the last story map in the first game I was so bored I would just read a book while my guys finished off the last few waves. It's not even fun for me to replay, whereas I've replayed Frontiers several times.

I still haven't beaten Origins because it is An Absolute Fucker.

Never bought any of the IAP Heroes, are they stupidly game-breakingly powerful? Because the Heroes you get without paying are kinda useful but I often forget about them unless they die, and almost never even change their position in the map. It is possible I'm playing the game wrong.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deakul posted:

Are there any games like Choplifter where you're a rescue chopper going around rescuing POWs or civilians? I know of that one by inxile but it runs like doodoo on my tablet.

Or hell, even something like Triplane Turmoil... a sidescrolling pseudo-flight sim set in WW1 where you had to land to refuel/rearm and you'd go on missions.
I always wanted to play a choplifter style game by tilting my phone. Alas my dreams have not been fulfilled yet, to my knowledge.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah sorry I did mean 'definitely reads like a girl to me'

I was reading it like a girl but then "she" died and it said he. It used he when referring to Taylor. So there that is.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
IEVA will protect against some radiation at least. I think that's what the game is trying to steer you towards, thinking outside the box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Casual Googling told me that 150 rads was barely enough to make him sick, and definitely wouldn't kill him for at least a couple weeks. :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

precision posted:

Casual Googling told me that 150 rads was barely enough to make him sick, and definitely wouldn't kill him for at least a couple weeks. :shrug:

Yeah, that's what Wikipedia said basically, so I went with that as the less-deadly option.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahaha I just reached the end of one path in Lifeline. Taylor's last words:

no offense but your advice is terrible

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My biggest gripe with kingdom rush is if I open any other app, it doesn't save my progress. Have to completely restart. Totally killed he game for me.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

gromdul posted:

I invaded a player who had a dragon legendary that created 8 red gems, then turned all red gems into skulls. It only went off once, but the resulting skull matches killed two of my troops.

Where are you finding the information on mana cost for abilities?

Similar to Luther is the alcoholic guy, Lem the Lucky, perhaps? He has "Cheers" which grants a random +5 skill to the other troops on the team. +5 Magic is nice.

Character cards with their info are here.

Of the Epics you can acquire via clearing map locations, I'd rank them roughly like this:

Best tier:
Atlanta - 13 Purple/Yellow, 6 damage to all foes when maxed, 9 base damage. I'd take that over some Legendaries.
Raven - 10 Red/Blue, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, regen 9 of that mana if it kills, 8 base damage. A nice unit for cleanup work.
Keghammer - 12 Brown/Yellow, 10 damage and drain 3 Magic to a foe when maxed, 8 base damage. Good for neutering some annoying enemy skills and doing substantial damage.
Lady Sapphira - 13 Brown/Yellow, 6 True Damage and gain 4 Life / 2 Attack when maxed, 8 base damage. True Damage bypasses armor and thus has obvious uses, and once she hits her skill once she's got great melee damage.
Tau - 11 Blue/Yellow, (5 + Red Gems) Attack to self when maxed, 8 base damage. Revenant too fragile? Try this guy.
Tyri - 8 Green/Purple, Remove all gems of a selected color, gain (10 + Gems/3) gold when maxed, 10 base damage. Great base damage, a cheap skill, and never mind the gold -- "kill any color I want" can set up creative combos when used properly. On the fragile side though.

Good but niche:
Avina - 13 Red/Purple, 11 damage to a foe when maxed and gain 1 soul, 8 base damage. Pretty good directable spike damage, but the soul thing is negligible.
Scarlett - 14 Red/Green, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, double if foe is a beast, 7 base damage. Fighting beasts? She's a killer. But which units count as beasts? Against others, still a good spike but an expensive one.
Luther - 13 Blue/Brown, 5 Attack to all allies when maxed, 7 base damage. The attack boost is nice, but the drawback is that only one unit attacks via skulls at a time so the bonus is just sitting there on the other three until someone dies.
Alastair - 14 Blue/Purple, (5 + Purple Gems/4) Armor to all allies when maxed, 8 base damage. Lets everyone absorb an extra hit from most foes, and there are certain units (Paladin coming immediately to mind) that benefit greatly from that.
Rowanne - 12 Blue/Green, (7 + Armor) damage spread randomly when maxed, 8 base damage. Damage revolves around her Armor stat; keep it high or boost it with Alastair / Templar and she can be brutal. Take an early hit and she's gimped.
Ferit - 10 Purple/Brown, 9 damage and mana drain to the last foe when maxed, 9 base damage. Good melee, useful skill, but the "last foe" clause means half the time you'll be wishing he was hitting someone different.

Mediocre:
Brian the Lucky - 12 Green/Brown, 5 (random attribute) to all allies when maxed, 6 base damage. The key word is "random."
Sparkgrinder - 12 Red/Yellow, 5 Attack and 5 Armor to one ally when maxed, 6 base damage. A nice boost, though obviously more narrow than Luther's.
Elwyn - 12 Green/Yellow, destroy a row and column, do 1 damage per yellow gem destroyed to a random enemy, 7 base damage. He has no Magic boosts at all. If the board is full of yellow he MIGHT do more than a handful of damage. Killing a row is always good but I need to check whether his Destroy gives mana or not.
Emperina - 14 Red/Brown, give ally 3 Life + 3 Attack + Cleanse + Heal when maxed, 7 base damage. Useful if you have some huge unit you need to keep on the board at all costs.
Finley - 12 Red/Green, change all skulls to selected color, gain 7 gold when maxed, 6 base damage. Maybe useful for getting out of a pinch or setting up an occasional combo.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lowness 72 posted:

My biggest gripe with kingdom rush is if I open any other app, it doesn't save my progress. Have to completely restart. Totally killed he game for me.

Mine is that it kills any background audio when it starts up. It would be ideal for some mindless gameplay while listening to a podcast, but it seems to think what I really want to hear is generic video game music on a short loop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If there's anyone here playing Lifeline who hasn't played 80 Days, fix that, the game is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Just Cause developers Avalanche have put out their first mobile game, a tactics game called Rumble City. Their PR describes it as "biker chess".