Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

As a Millennial I posted:

someone's gonna steal your coupon code...........

I'm sure supply is running low!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

another sign of the bubble: jimmy kimmel started a PE fund

http://www.titlecardcapital.com/

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

cremnob posted:

yesssssssssssss

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

promo code: ZI0N

welp, now we know who killed Aereo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cremnob posted:

omg I thought it was a joke until I saw all the required disclaimers

they filed the trademark application on February 11 of this year and their first investment was on July 2. $9 million into a "luxury mattress company that delivers directly to your door" https://www.leesa.com

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 8, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the internet direct mattress space is totally blowing up no joke there's casper, tuft & needle, saatva and more

the traditional mattress industry is one I'd consider actually "ripe for disruption" since the average $2000 mattress costs under $200 to make

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
people are crazy about mattresses

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*man who hasnt broke a sweat in 37 years and has a diet rife with sugar and caffeine and poo poo* cant sleep. must be the mattress.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

having a nice bed & sheets is one of the best things there is in life, even better than hearing the lamentations of the women

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the traditional mattress industry is one I'd consider actually "ripe for disruption" since the average $2000 mattress costs under $200 to make
ive read that mattress stores have the highest conversion rate of visitors to purchasers anywhere in retail, which makes perfect sense if you think of it

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FMguru posted:

ive read that mattress stores have the highest conversion rate of visitors to purchasers anywhere in retail, which makes perfect sense if you think of it

you dont exactly walk into a mattress shop looking the browse

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

the internet direct mattress space is totally blowing up no joke there's casper, tuft & needle, saatva and more

IKEA already basically takes care of that in a lot of areas though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my stearns & foster suited my needs for several years but it's starting to get so I can feel the springs

this means all my tablet web browsing now has exclusively mattress ads

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

of course there are mattress-oriented web forums like the mattress underground where mattress enthusiasts discuss their latest custom foam loadouts and the like

Nintendo Kid posted:

ikea doesn't have free delivery or refunds

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
we have an ikea mattress that is okay.

kind of want a better one but meh

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

agreeing with fishmech here

ikea mattresses are good quality for a fair price

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i bought a foam mattress off amazon for $300, it's a pretty good mattress

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

ikea doesn't have free delivery or refunds

just bought a bed and mattress at ikea, there's a 30 day no questions asked return+refund policy at least for the local one

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

*man who hasnt broke a sweat in 37 years and has a diet rife with sugar and caffeine and poo poo* cant sleep. must be the mattress.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

its much easier to sleep when there's another person in bed with you. introducing sleepr, a high tech bed-sharing service. fund us on gofundme!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

just bought a bed and mattress at ikea, there's a 30 day no questions asked return+refund policy at least for the local one

they have a 60 90 day mattress return policy in canada i think

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Awia posted:

you dont exactly walk into a mattress shop looking the browse
yep

something like 96% of people/couples who walk into a mattress store buy one. mattress salesman is like the easiest job in the world

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah but you have to physically get an unpacked 100lb+ mattress back to the store these new companies they just send someone over to take it away

FMguru posted:

yep

something like 96% of people/couples who walk into a mattress store buy one. mattress salesman is like the easiest job in the world
the sales dudes were legit mad when I'd leave the store last time I bought one

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

its much easier to sleep when there's another person in bed with you. introducing sleepr, a high tech bed-sharing service. fund us on gofundme!!

don't worry about the $1 "safe night" fee...

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
ugh ok that post makes me feel gross :barf:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ultramiraculous posted:

don't worry about the $1 "safe night" fee...

thats a good point though. its not prostitution, its bed sharing. if they do have sex, thats their choice. the fee is for bed sharing only 1!!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

of course there are mattress-oriented web forums like the mattress underground where mattress enthusiasts discuss their latest custom foam loadouts and the like

someone find the pillow modding post

not me, im just an ideas man

also im on a phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

someone find the pillow modding post

not me, im just an ideas man

also im on a phone

OK, time to say goodbye to this mattress. I'm ready. For 3 yearsIve gone back forth between true love and disillusionment.

Stats: 6 inch 36 ild talalay latex + 2 inch 24 ild + lovely wool padding with organic cotton cover.

It was comfortable at times, even though from the very beginning support level was always clearly too soft (butt sinking ) while at the same time there was a hardness to it that killed my shoulder joints (adding a new wool topper was just enough to fix that problem).

Curiously, my back seemed OK with it at times, but other times - usually summer - it wasnt, and Id start to get serious back pain again. Seems like latex softens in the summer? Not much maybe, but enough to put me over the edge.

This last bout of back pain was the last straw. I'm back to sleeping on the floor on my Luxury Map Thermarest (3 inches thick and zoned - I strongly recommend it to any campers out there with bad backs ) Theres an inch of 24 ILD fake latex foam topper over that and a cotton pad on top. And within a day my back is back to feeling good! Honestly, this set up is the most comfy thing Ive been on in years - since my old Sears-O-Pedic bit the dust

So I could go 2 directions. One is to just forget latex and get a new, different type of mattress. Theres a lovely, comfy... but kinda expensive... ortho mattress with springs/ about a layer of latex that Ive tested and like (shout out to Beloit Mattress). When your back goes "aaaahhhhh" that's a good sign.

Or get something custom made in latex again, using my success with the Thermarest pad to guide me in designing something that would work better for me. I slept on my old latex enough to know that if only it had had adequate back support (no butt sinking, spine held in alignment) it wouldve been just divinely comfy.... The rest of it was great I loved the the wool padding on top and the springy feel of the latex underneath the wool and the deliciously smooth top (without the annoying buttons and dips that a spring mattress has).

So the most obvious thing I would need in a new mattress is a firmer support layer. But what.... one thing that's occurred to me is that the thickness of the layers has as much to do with the feel than the ILD. What if my 6 inches of 36 ILD was reduced to 3 inches thick instead of 6, wouldnt it feel firmer and lessen the butt sinking hammock effect?

Or what about this - it seems dunlop is stiffer. I could have dunlop on the bottom, and keep my 2 inches of squishier 24/28 ILD Talalay and inch of wool on top

Ive been reading a while andI know you cant specify in much detail what people should do for mattresses, just wondering what thoughts you might have on what I might consider for a support layer because that's really the only glitch.

And, what do you think about the idea of just going thinner with the bottom layer as a way to firm it up and straighten up my back alignment? It would only be a 6 inch thick bed not as attractive as a thicker one, but oh well. If it worked, one advantage of having less latex would be it would be more affordable. BTW not only is my current Thermarest comfy, but so was 20 years of sleeping on 6 inch cotton futons on a wood platform (they had a thin layer of foam inside and were nice handmade things - not like the cheap stiff lumpy things you see now that are only meant tobe kept folded up in a frame except when guests come. So that's another reason Im thinking maybe thinner is better? Thanks in advance for any and all input

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

jfc just get a tempurpedic and be done with it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When I saw the ads for Gillette trying to get into the monthly razor club biz I laughed out loud

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

OK, time to say goodbye to this mattress. I'm ready. For 3 yearsIve gone back forth between true love and disillusionment.

Stats: 6 inch 36 ild talalay latex + 2 inch 24 ild + lovely wool padding with organic cotton cover.

It was comfortable at times, even though from the very beginning support level was always clearly too soft (butt sinking ) while at the same time there was a hardness to it that killed my shoulder joints (adding a new wool topper was just enough to fix that problem).

Curiously, my back seemed OK with it at times, but other times - usually summer - it wasnt, and Id start to get serious back pain again. Seems like latex softens in the summer? Not much maybe, but enough to put me over the edge.

This last bout of back pain was the last straw. I'm back to sleeping on the floor on my Luxury Map Thermarest (3 inches thick and zoned - I strongly recommend it to any campers out there with bad backs ) Theres an inch of 24 ILD fake latex foam topper over that and a cotton pad on top. And within a day my back is back to feeling good! Honestly, this set up is the most comfy thing Ive been on in years - since my old Sears-O-Pedic bit the dust

So I could go 2 directions. One is to just forget latex and get a new, different type of mattress. Theres a lovely, comfy... but kinda expensive... ortho mattress with springs/ about a layer of latex that Ive tested and like (shout out to Beloit Mattress). When your back goes "aaaahhhhh" that's a good sign.

Or get something custom made in latex again, using my success with the Thermarest pad to guide me in designing something that would work better for me. I slept on my old latex enough to know that if only it had had adequate back support (no butt sinking, spine held in alignment) it wouldve been just divinely comfy.... The rest of it was great I loved the the wool padding on top and the springy feel of the latex underneath the wool and the deliciously smooth top (without the annoying buttons and dips that a spring mattress has).

So the most obvious thing I would need in a new mattress is a firmer support layer. But what.... one thing that's occurred to me is that the thickness of the layers has as much to do with the feel than the ILD. What if my 6 inches of 36 ILD was reduced to 3 inches thick instead of 6, wouldnt it feel firmer and lessen the butt sinking hammock effect?

Or what about this - it seems dunlop is stiffer. I could have dunlop on the bottom, and keep my 2 inches of squishier 24/28 ILD Talalay and inch of wool on top

Ive been reading a while andI know you cant specify in much detail what people should do for mattresses, just wondering what thoughts you might have on what I might consider for a support layer because that's really the only glitch.

And, what do you think about the idea of just going thinner with the bottom layer as a way to firm it up and straighten up my back alignment? It would only be a 6 inch thick bed not as attractive as a thicker one, but oh well. If it worked, one advantage of having less latex would be it would be more affordable. BTW not only is my current Thermarest comfy, but so was 20 years of sleeping on 6 inch cotton futons on a wood platform (they had a thin layer of foam inside and were nice handmade things - not like the cheap stiff lumpy things you see now that are only meant tobe kept folded up in a frame except when guests come. So that's another reason Im thinking maybe thinner is better? Thanks in advance for any and all input
http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses/3068-ikea-latex-matresses.html?start=45

witness the man with nearly 22,000 mattress related posts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that guy runs the forum and responds to almost every post I think

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I sleep on a twin size mattress on the ground. It might have a box spring I can't remember. I think I've slept on it for almost two decades so it might be time to get a new one. Kinda want a trundle kinda bed with shelving below it and poo poo

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Who's crazier the mattress man or the keyboard guy who models everything with Lego men and got kicked off geek hack (number one site for crazy mech keyboard enthusiasts) for being too crazy about keyboards. I think he runs the sub reddit now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I sleep on a twin size mattress on the ground. It might have a box spring I can't remember. I think I've slept on it for almost two decades so it might be time to get a new one. Kinda want a trundle kinda bed with shelving below it and poo poo
buy a hammock

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

bet he loving sleeps well though

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

you take the piss but this man knows how to sleep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

that guy runs the forum and responds to almost every post I think
i will never in my life love anything as much as that guy loves mattresses and talking about mattresses, and i am diminished by this knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Awia posted:

bet he loving sleeps well though

if he sleeps so well how come he has to keep trying out new mattresses eh

• Locked thread