Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's probably not gonna happen, but it'd be interesting if during Sugane's first time at Gatcha headquarters (the circular area with lots of numbers where J.J. hangs out) she pops out of a portal at a higher number than we expect, like 110 instead of 103 (Hajime was 101, presumably Rui is 102). There's lots of reasons that could be, ranging from the Gatcha numbers representing all the Gatchamen made in the universe and not just on Earth to a Gatchaman being recruited between seasons and dying, away on a secret mission or having turned evil. I recall Berg-Katze having a Gatcha-style transformation he could bust out, so I guess they wouldn't go to that well twice, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

It's probably not gonna happen, but it'd be interesting if during Sugane's first time at Gatcha headquarters (the circular area with lots of numbers where J.J. hangs out) she pops out of a portal at a higher number than we expect, like 110 instead of 103 (Hajime was 101, presumably Rui is 102). There's lots of reasons that could be, ranging from the Gatcha numbers representing all the Gatchamen made in the universe and not just on Earth to a Gatchaman being recruited between seasons and dying, away on a secret mission or having turned evil. I recall Berg-Katze having a Gatcha-style transformation he could bust out, so I guess they wouldn't go to that well twice, but you never know.

Rui is 100 (idk why). Sugane is 96. Also, you're thinking of Tsubasa who's apparently listed as 60

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah yeah, I jumble up names all the time in the worst way. I guess there's no rhyme or reason to the numbers then, if that's how it breaks down. That's a shame.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I fall into the pit of remembering characters more by nicknames that I make up rather than their actual names.

Katze, for example, spent half the show as "Space Flea"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

kater posted:

First season isn't nearly about Hajime as you are making it seem. She's got a strong presence in the first half but Rui and Katze takeover eventually. Also her milk revolt was foreshadowing the CROWDS chaos pretty hard. Sure she didn't seem to suffer any repercussions for it but I don't think the show was saying she was right. Also I didn't ever get the impression that she 'won' against Katze.

She did win against Katze. Katze's entire point is that he found pleasure in everyone elses misery, schadenfreude basically. Hajime found happiness in everyone elses happiness, mudita basically. In the end Hajime, throug Rui, had made everyone happy and with no misery to be had Katze went bonkers. In the end she took him out just like she was planning to, without killing him and without her dying in the process.

That being said, she probably doesnt see it as a victory. Shes probably so detached that she doesnt even think in win/lose scenarios.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah it's kinda like how she handled the MESS alien at the beginning of the show, it was just so incredibly different. Everyone else assumed they were hostile and kept futilely trying to fight them while hajime's first instinct was to try and understand the MESS. I like the dynamic her viewpoint forces on the more conventionally thinking cast.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Only someone as hosed up as Hajime would want to live the rest of her life with Berg Katze of all people offering running commentary which is amazing, the show is totally consistent with her character even though its so hard to get a grasp on what her character actually is, whenever she does some new unexpected crap you're like huh, well yeah

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah it's kinda like how she handled the MESS alien at the beginning of the show, it was just so incredibly different. Everyone else assumed they were hostile and kept futilely trying to fight them while hajime's first instinct was to try and understand the MESS. I like the dynamic her viewpoint forces on the more conventionally thinking cast.

Regarding the MESS, I didn't notice it the first time, but when rewatching the first episode a couple days ago, I caught that JJ says something like chaos not necessarily being a threat, which is absolutely Hajime's point of view.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I fall into the pit of remembering characters more by nicknames that I make up rather than their actual names.

Katze, for example, spent half the show as "Space Flea"

That's good. Mind sharing the others?

chumbler posted:

Regarding the MESS, I didn't notice it the first time, but when rewatching the first episode a couple days ago, I caught that JJ says something like chaos not necessarily being a threat, which is absolutely Hajime's point of view.

I think he was more specifically referring to the MESS there, but I could totally see that being meant as general world advice anyway.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

gatcha!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.jpg posted:

gatcha!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

gucci!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

.jpg posted:

gatcha!

I don't like that they don't say this at commercial breaks anymore

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Hajime's not gonna kiss anyone but if she did it should be the new girl.

Someone didn't watch the director's cut of Ep 12.

Sorry, kids, Hajime's already got a love interest, and I don't think he's big on sharing (not that he has much say in the matter, mind you, but it's the principle of the thing).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It just occurred to me that Hajime defeated Katze using his own means.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone didn't watch the director's cut of Ep 12.

Sorry, kids, Hajime's already got a love interest, and I don't think he's big on sharing (not that he has much say in the matter, mind you, but it's the principle of the thing).

Gig pairing sucks though, it's all about Judy and Trish.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Normie Slayer posted:

It just occurred to me that Hajime defeated Katze using his own means.

and her giant breasts.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I hope this happens every episode

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

team Katze blasting off again

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

"Sparkle."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I didn't know how much I needed Katze blasting off in my life until now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The short hair is a good look for him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think Sugane came when Jou whispered in his ear.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I don't trust that little red skinned bug alien.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sparkle!

In Training posted:

I think Sugane came when Jou whispered in his ear.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

In Training posted:

Also I don't trust that little red skinned bug alien.

shes going to make everyone united witrh an iron fist

i wish they would translate all the chat app stuff

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I like that the vape guys wear masks when vaping, because that only makes them more conspicuous.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wait, so the ostensible villain this time has the motivation of "People aren't ready for the Crowds and we'll prove it to you by being dicks with them, something we presumably have full control over"?

Though I suspect the real big problem will be Katze taking over Hajime and Tsubasa will fix it by kissing her.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The main villain's gimmick is that he is 100% right, and it is going to destroy Rui mentally

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Normie Slayer posted:

I like that the vape guys wear masks when vaping, because that only makes them more conspicuous.

It reminds me of the 100/Neo 100 from season 1, who wore masks that covered their eyes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

chumbler posted:

Wait, so the ostensible villain this time has the motivation of "People aren't ready for the Crowds and we'll prove it to you by being dicks with them, something we presumably have full control over"?

It's not really that different from "government is inherently infeasible and we'll prove it by sabotaging the process of government."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the whole point of VAPE seemed, to me, that their ideas would affect the Gatchamen/world more than their actions, and that would be the true conflict of the show.

have not seen episode 2 though

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

What I learned in episode 2 was that I still want to hug Gel-chan.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone else miss the the old techno music?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I just finished watching the first series of this show today and from looking at the old thread it seems like there was an OVA that added and explained some things from the last episode, should I watch that before starting series 2 or is that stuff covered in series 2's episode 0?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I just finished watching the first series of this show today and from looking at the old thread it seems like there was an OVA that added and explained some things from the last episode, should I watch that before starting series 2 or is that stuff covered in series 2's episode 0?

There's a director's cut of the last episode of season 1, and you should definitely watch that if you haven't already. If you have, you're good to go.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Man, Gel just gets more ominous by the moment. "The planets Gel visits no longer have conflict!" :stonklol: Back away slowly, guys.

(And her "poll the crowd to form an opinion" thing doesn't really seem to gel with the show's perspective on social media--"Galax is powerful, not good"--but seriously Pai-Pai listen to the words coming out of your mouth)

chumbler posted:

Though I suspect the real big problem will be Katze taking over Hajime and Tsubasa will fix it by kissing her.

The really interesting part is that Katze was going around going "heeeeeeey want ultimate power!?" with multiple people and at least one guy said "Sure! Hahahaha okay no I was lying, gently caress off, you're obviously evil and this is obviously a trap." Holy poo poo, this guy is armed with common sense!

Not really sure what the endgame is here, though. Yes, you've proven human beings can be dickbags, that's evident pretty much everywhere else. Do you really think there's going to be no consequence to giving a group of people power and free reign to be jerks and then taking it away? And that's assuming nothing happens to his control of the power--not really a safe assumption, as Rui learned last season. Do not call up that which you cannot put down.

I mean, hypocrisy is par for the course with this kind of person, but it takes a special kind of lacking self-awareness to make a plan with the exact same failure mode as the people you're protesting.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

While the VAPE masks are obviously a call back to the 100/Neo 100, I feel like the show is kinda treating the police like idiots when we know that every person who Hajime zaps/cubefies is falling unconcious, and as we saw a number of them are in public places.

"Hmmm, 18 reports of people wearing weird masks falling unconcious at the same time as a VAPE/CROWDS attack? Nah, I'm sure its nothing."

I wonder what the big deal is with Tsubasa not being able to transform unless shes angry. No one seems to have really gone "oh, yeah, that happens to everyone", and our only other frame of reference is Hajime from season 1, who figured it out as soon as she knew the activation phrase.

I also wonder why the only power that Katze can give is CROWDS. He seems to be pulling the soul out of a person a la JJ, but JJ's gatcha have powers from infinite range katana slashes up to atomization of all nearby matter(assuming he Gatcha'd OD, which seems likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
My assumption for the difference between JJ's and Katze's ability to create NOTEs is because Katze is imitating JJ and isn't actually the same kind of being. Was it not mentioned, at least obliquely, that he was at one time a Gatchaman himself? I don't remember exactly since it's been so long since I watched it.

• Locked thread