Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Panama Red posted:

Hoping the Hudlin run lives up to expectations.
The Hudlin run has no expectations. Its terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

What's a good thor series to read on MU? I think I read part of the one with Gorr, don't remember what that was called.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The one you were reading, Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder http://marvel.com/comics/series/16729/thor_god_of_thunder_2012_-_present

Alternatively, do Walter Simonson's run starting here: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/11665/thor_1966_337

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 7, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HogX posted:

What's a good thor series to read on MU? I think I read part of the one with Gorr, don't remember what that was called.

Simonson's run is gold loving standard, I think it starts with issue 337 of what MU calls "Thor: 1966-1996" Beta Ray Bill is on the cover.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

zoux posted:

At some point we just need to develop a "Here's what you read on MU" list.
I have a list of stuff in the 2nd post (which could probably do with an update), but I don't know what of it is on Marvel Unlimited as I don't have a subscription. You can browse it without a subscription, right?

Skwirl posted:

Simonson's run is gold loving standard, I think it starts with issue 337 of what MU calls "Thor: 1966-1996" Beta Ray Bill is on the cover.
This is the cover of Simonson's first issue, it's pretty hardcore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HogX posted:

JMS' isn't that popular 'round these parts, but I like his run an awful lot, even if it ends abruptly like everything else he does.

Starts here: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/15943/thor_2007_1

Gillen takes over after issue #603, and you could move onto Journey Into Mystery after that.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

HogX posted:

Got MU too, could you give me a link to Priest's run on BP? Trying to find stuff on MU is actually kind of a pain in the rear end.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/12575/black_panther_1998_1

Alternatively if you browse by creator and search for Priest, then do "sort" and "oldest first," his BP run comes at the top.

Zachack posted:

How far are you in BP? I thought it started ok but got progressively better right up until the final arc which I did not like at all.

I'm at issue 7 right now. Apparently 1-5, the arc with Mephisto, is considered Priest's best, especially 5, which updates T'Challa's origin. And it is pretty good, just not as great as I was expecting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

irlZaphod posted:

I have a list of stuff in the 2nd post (which could probably do with an update), but I don't know what of it is on Marvel Unlimited as I don't have a subscription. You can browse it without a subscription, right?

Aside from stuff that isn't at least 6 months old I'm pretty sure most everything in your post is on Marvel Unlimited.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Aside from stuff that isn't at least 6 months old I'm pretty sure most everything in your post is on Marvel Unlimited.

More or less everything released after 2000 is going to be on MU, it's the early stuff where it gets kind of spotty. I wanted to read the Bill Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants but it's incomplete for some reason.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

zoux posted:

More or less everything released after 2000 is going to be on MU, it's the early stuff where it gets kind of spotty. I wanted to read the Bill Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants but it's incomplete for some reason.

The stuff he did is actually all up there now, I'm pretty sure! It's a relatively recent update, I'm pretty sure, but #1-40 are all up there, which includes the Sienkiewicz stuff.

edit: I'M PRETTY SURE

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The stuff he did is actually all up there now, I'm pretty sure! It's a relatively recent update, I'm pretty sure, but #1-40 are all up there, which includes the Sienkiewicz stuff.

Oh good to know!

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

zoux posted:

I want Sienkiewicz Moon Knight :(

Does anyone know what kind of profit share creators get from MU?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

HogX posted:

What else is good on MU?

Is started using these guides:

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/knights-until-avengers-disassembled/
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/star-wars-reading-order/
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/ultimate-marvel-universe-reading-order/

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I also found this to be a good reading order for the Age of Apocalypse event: http://www.uncannyxmen.net/timelines/age-of-apocalypse/age-of-apocalypse-read-order

Keep in mind that some of those early stories, especially the stuff by Howard Mackie, are really terrible, and can mostly be skipped; even though they do cover some important events in the backstory of the main books, the execution is really off, and comes off more obnoxious than necessary. Also keep in mind that this is prime 1990s comics, so expect really questionable art, futuristic punks that look like they stepped out of 1970s Britain, and painfully verbose dialogue. The Blink mini-series, written long after AoA, is a bit better in this regard, but most of it takes place in the Negative Zone, away from the actual AoA stuff.

Those qualifications aside, this was one of my favorite X-Men events growing up. It likely doesn't hold up as well today, but if you like comics from that era, you should definitely check it out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please note that this website has some absolutely mental reading order of everything that Marvel has published since 1999, without any regard as to whether it's any good or not. Some of it is, some of it isn't. For example, under Spider-Man it recommends the JMS Amazing Spider-Man, but not the Paul Jenkins Peter Parker: Spider-Man which was running at the same time, and which was really good until it relaunched as Spectacular Spider-Man (but the first storyline of that is listed because it's "relevant" or whatever).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Panama Red posted:

Keep in mind that some of those early stories, especially the stuff by Howard Mackie, are really terrible, and can mostly be skipped; even though they do cover some important events in the backstory of the main books, the execution is really off, and comes off more obnoxious than necessary.

Yeah, I would skip everything pre X-Men: Alpha, at least until after reading X-Men: Omega.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

JMS' isn't that popular 'round these parts, but I like his run an awful lot, even if it ends abruptly like everything else he does.

Starts here: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/15943/thor_2007_1

Gillen takes over after issue #603, and you could move onto Journey Into Mystery after that.

Finished both, journey into Mystery was awesome, although not sure what Bill is. A horse man?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HogX posted:

not sure what Bill is. A horse man?

Read that Simonson run.

e: His story is in the first five or so issues of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HogX posted:

Finished both, journey into Mystery was awesome, although not sure what Bill is. A horse man?

Yes.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the books out right now. I thought maybe if I listed some of the stuff that I'm reading, you guys could point me to some other stuff.

Amazing Spider-Man (don't judge, he's my favorite)
Spider Gwen
Thor
Secret Wars
Saga
Rat Queens
Daredevil
Star Wars
Batman (trying to keep up with the Batbooks is a daunting task. Are the others worth it?)
Moon Knight
New Avengers
Ms. Marvel

There's a few more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Are any of the other Spiderbooks good? I also love Captain America and Thor, as well. I haven't read anything with Old Steve Rogers or Captain Falconmerica, are any of those books any good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually think Silk and Spider-Woman are better than Spider-Gwen. Not that the latter isn't good, but Silk in particular is really strong, and Javier Rodriguez is knocking it out of the park on Spider-Woman art-wise.

And if you like that kind of thing, Batgirl's a really solid shout right now. As is Starfire.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is the Silk book removed from Parker and all the pheromone bullshit? I lost track of things during Spiderverse but all the sexed up parts were really getting in the way of me giving that character a shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In her own book she seems as creeped out about that as anyone. It's mostly been about her looking for her folks while fighting Black Cat and being mentored at her day job by Jonah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Batman (trying to keep up with the Batbooks is a daunting task. Are the others worth it?)

I love Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin https://www.comixology.com/Batman-and-Robin-2011-2015/comics-series/6662?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
It's just transitioned into a solo Robin book https://www.comixology.com/Robin-Son-of-Batman-2015/comics-series/44187?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI which is carrying on plotlines from the BnR run.
Also Gotham Academy, Batgirl (from #35) and Grayson, if that counts.

It seems like you enjoy the upbeat sorta superheroing, so I'd recommend Greg Pak's Action Comics Superman book.
https://www.comixology.com/Action-Comics-2011/comics-series/6637?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI from issue 25 or collection vol 5.

Gaz-L posted:

I jumped on that DC sale and got the DOOMED collection on Comixiology, actually. Am I gonna be confused if I haven't read any of Pak/Johns/Soule's Superman before this?

It shouldn't be too bad, but you should read the Pak AC issues before it, cause they're great.
I think Lex is with the Justice League at the start, which is coming out of Forever Evil where he saved the day, if that's confusing.
e: Oh yeah. Lois has psychic powers, which happened in Scott Lobdell Superman, so don't bother investigating that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 8, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I jumped on that DC sale and got the DOOMED collection on Comixiology, actually. Am I gonna be confused if I haven't read any of Pak/Johns/Soule's Superman before this?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm reading that black panther, and The Hulk started screaming about smashing Black-Man. What a stupendous writing job, in this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah if you like books like Spider-Gwen and Ms. Marvel, you should get on Batgirl, Gotham Academy and the new Black Canary series.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gaz-L posted:

I actually think Silk and Spider-Woman are better than Spider-Gwen. Not that the latter isn't good, but Silk in particular is really strong, and Javier Rodriguez is knocking it out of the park on Spider-Woman art-wise.

And if you like that kind of thing, Batgirl's a really solid shout right now. As is Starfire.

St...Starfire? My god, have I been in a coma?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Does anyone know if the Falcon is Captain America books are any good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh. *makes wavy motion with flat horizontal hand*

I read the first (only?) arc of All-New Cap. It was fine, but it went a direction at the end that I felt was much less interesting than where I was expecting it to go, and the rest of the package wasn't blow-away enough to keep me. There's some decent backstory stuff about Sam and his dad and sister, and Redwing becomes a vampire-bird.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

How is Kabuki? There are oversized hardcovers coming out and those are my weakness, but don't really know much about the series.

Also, does Usagi Yojimbo stay good throughout? I just started reading the deluxe edition that I bought a few years back and they've started collecting the books after that in collections, but I don't know if it crashes after vol 7 or not.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Zachack posted:

How is Kabuki? There are oversized hardcovers coming out and those are my weakness, but don't really know much about the series.

If you like David Mack I would at least check out the content of the first trade, I think that one at least is pretty solid. I can't really speak for the rest of the series though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Senor Candle posted:

If you like David Mack I would at least check out the content of the first trade, I think that one at least is pretty solid. I can't really speak for the rest of the series though.

I'm fine with his art but outside of a few daredevil issues all he's written is Kabuki.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zachack posted:

I have a bunch of these (volumes 1-3, 5, and 7). The first volume is a pretty typical 90s action comic. The rest are Mack playing with the medium. 2 is all about Kabuki dying and Mack hits his stride, 3 is stories about a bunch of side characters drawn by Mack's various 90s Image friends, 5 is a pretty good prison escape tale. 7 stands alone and is a look at the act of creating art, the best volume of the one's I've read, and you can get it in a nice hardcover all on its own.

The early stuff really has that Image vibe to them and you see Mack evolving as an artist. I'd say they're imperfect. It's not really a linear story that you follow from volume to volume. Honestly, The Alchemy is the only one I'd straight up recommend, and that's if you're into meta commentary about art.

Zachack posted:

Also, does Usagi Yojimbo stay good throughout? I just started reading the deluxe edition that I bought a few years back and they've started collecting the books after that in collections, but I don't know if it crashes after vol 7 or not.

I haven't read much, but Chris Sims likes to say that there's never been a bad issue of that series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know where I read up to, but I got the big two-volume hardcover thing and I loved it all the way through.

(My problem is that I want matching sets to keep reading and I don't think there's been a follow-up to it.)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know where I read up to, but I got the big two-volume hardcover thing and I loved it all the way through.

(My problem is that I want matching sets to keep reading and I don't think there's been a follow-up to it.)

I think the recent "saga" collections follow the publishing order starting after the hardback collection we both have but I can't tell if the paperback versions are the same size.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I've been playing Arkham Knight recently and realized I have never read a Batman comic. What's a good trade paperback from the last 10-ish years to get that corrected?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alris posted:

I've been playing Arkham Knight recently and realized I have never read a Batman comic. What's a good trade paperback from the last 10-ish years to get that corrected?

Grant Morrison's run

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alris posted:

Black Mirror.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could read Under the Red Hood to see how they originally did the Jason Todd thing.

Batman: Year One is a classic.

The current series is great. That starts with 'The Court of Owls'.

e: Here's CBR's 75 best Batman stories list.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/10/75-greatest-batman-stories-master-list/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
What are the pros and cons between Morrison's and Snyder's runs?