Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Because he turned an alright game series into stupid memefilled garbage who made every single character in the game series into either a soap box for his politics or a prop that regurgitates lovely jokes. the telltale borderlands is fine and hell it even made most of his characters funny probaly because it doesnt have burch writing the story/dialogue/any of it.

Now it makes sense. He wrote a couple of gay characters and that other one that made the joke about friend-zoning being MRA bullshit.. He is part of the SJW conspiracy to destroy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

You, Thug and ddraig are the ones harping on about his sex life.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I got open relationship stuff from his twitter and ask account. honestly not sure who propositioned the idea but both starting points paint burch in lovely light. Either he is an rear end in a top hat who forces his wife into having an open relationship or he comes off as wimp/cuckhold who likes watching his wife get hosed by other people. it doesnt really matter, because he is terrible terrible writer who destroyed his own marriage and his own reputation.

It seems you may have forgotten how to check the name on a post. Please see there where it says '"individual" posted', and that will tell you who is weeping about a stranger's sex life and how this is tenuously related in some way to video games and, I presume by extension, the Gamergate controversy.

To me it all just seems like an unhealthy obsession, and further, it's puzzling why you would want to take the side of a person who seems creepily obsessed with a stranger's sex life.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it boggles the mind how any of you defend any of these specimens? why defend anthony birch? or attack him? he is a nobody and will remain as such

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It seems you may have forgotten how to check the name on a post. Please see there where it says '"individual" posted', and that will tell you who is weeping about a stranger's sex life and how this is tenuously related in some way to video games and, I presume by extension, the Gamergate controversy.

ddraig is the one who brought it up originally my friend, why don't you question him about Anthony Burch's relevance to this very important topic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the everliving gracious gently caress does anyone's sex life have to do with ethics in games journalism?

Like okay, Zoe Quinn having a relationship with a journalist? Fine. That's arguably on-topic. In that one specific situation for reasons other than that she had sex.

Why does anyone else she had sex with matter to this conversation at all? If Zoe Quinn had a public gangbang in the middle of central park it would not have a single thing in any way, shape or form to do with ethics in games journalism. So why is this even a topic?

If Anthony Burch, hosed a goat what does this have to do with games journalism unless that goat was also a games journalist. (Which is entirely possible, I've seen Kotaku articles.)

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Did Zoe Quinn ever participate in this, or did she just read those threads? I'm assuming you also read those threads, so wouldn't you be as much of a monster as Zoe Quinn? You've been posting on SA for over a decade, so I think I'm entitled to do some pretty bad things to you according to the transitive property you're trying to enforce here.

I'm not propping myself up as a crusader for the downtrodden on the internet. Laughing at weirdos was the whole reason I read Hellthread at all.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm not propping myself up as a crusader for the downtrodden on the internet. Laughing at weirdos was the whole reason I read Hellthread at all.

Would you be a hypocrite if you got upset if I called your boss and tried to get you fired because of things you said on the internet? I think that's out of line, and I think most adults would agree with me, which is why I'm struggling as to why this is commonly accepted and defended behavior in Gamergate.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

it boggles the mind how any of you defend any of these specimens? why defend anthony birch? or attack him? he is a nobody and will remain as such

Nobody is defending Anthony Burch. They're questioning why his private sex life is being brought up in a discussion about ethics in gaming journalism.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

Now it makes sense. He wrote a couple of gay characters and that other one that made the joke about friend-zoning being MRA bullshit.. He is part of the SJW conspiracy to destroy games.

Yep! Must just be a terrible coincidence that an overtly progressive writer who made fun of MRAs is targeted by Gamergate, using his apparently lack of virile masculinity as a weapon! Totally unrelated, I'm sure.

Notice how the use of 'cuck' as an insult has gone through the roof in the past year? Almost perfectly coincides with when this shitstorm began. Again, must be a coincidence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

poptart_fairy posted:

You, Thug and ddraig are the ones harping on about his sex life.

I could give less of a poo poo about his sex life. I just found his crying about it amusing. If he wanted to keep it private, he shouldnt have been broadcasting on twitter for assholes to see. anyway, i was trying clarify what DDraig said. I dont know/care who started the open relationship, all people know is the end result.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I could give less of a poo poo about his sex life. I just found his crying about it amusing. If he wanted to keep it private, he shouldnt have been broadcasting on twitter for assholes to see. anyway, i was trying clarify what DDraig said. I dont know/care who started the open relationship, all people know is the end result.

Are you admitting you're an rear end in a top hat, or are you saying that Gamergaters are assholes for trying to use someone's consensual sexual habits as a personal attack?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The reason I brought up Burch is because he's one of the many people who GG have deemed it necessary to attack, not for his politics or even his opinions, but something that is literally nobody else s business. Again, using totally unverified rumours as if they're fact. Much like how Leigh Alexander is a notorious drunkard (she was drunk on a podcast one time), Anita Sarkeesian was raped by her father (this one is batshit even by GG standards, which is saying something) and a whole cavalcade of other poo poo-slinging tactics that would make Glenn Beck blush.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It is about loving with the journalists they dislike right back after what they feel is years of just being poo poo on. Doesn't matter the hows or the whats. They'd rather burn the whole thing to the ground and have it go back to regurgitation of press releases if every single one of them was fired right now. The sudden interest in the 'SJWs' and whatever is just a proxy for that. Because the journalists like it, it gets hated. Same with the indie darlings. Journalists like them, so they get poo poo on too. People ask why they don't go after AAAs. Because the journalists don't like them and they don't care about the things journalists don't like. If the journalists weren't hipsters and right-wing tea partiers, they'd go after that instead.

That's all this has ever been about. The audience and the providers of content for that audience hate each other and look for any pretense to go about loving each other. Ethics is a good cover because it hits their wallets and sounds nice. It isn't so much a culture war as some sort of audience rebellion the likes of which have never been witnessed on the internet. If this were the 1700s, they'd be throwing poo poo and rotten garbage and every performance. Instead, we've got twitter and reddit which are the functional equivalents of poo poo and rotten garbage.

Are some people geniuenly for ethics? I bet some are. Are some rear end in a top hat MRA libtards like Discount Kane and Fake John Romero? Yeah. But most just want to hurt the journalists any way they can.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 9, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper Dan posted:

It is about loving with the journalists they dislike right back after what they feel is years of just being poo poo on. Doesn't matter the hows or the whats. They'd rather burn the whole thing to the ground and have it go back to regurgitation of press releases if every single one of them was fired right now. The sudden interest in the 'SJWs' and whatever is just a proxy for that. Because the journalists like it, it gets hated. Same with the indie darlings. Journalists like them, so they get poo poo on too. People ask why they don't go after AAAs. Because the journalists don't like them and they don't care about the things journalists don't like. If the journalists weren't hipsters and right-wing tea partiers, they'd go after that instead.

That's all this has ever been about. The audience and the providers of content for that audience hate each other and look for any pretense to go about loving each other. Ethics is a good cover because it hits their wallets and sounds nice. It isn't so much a culture war as some sort of audience rebellion the likes of which have never been witnessed on the internet. If this were the 1700s, they'd be throwing poo poo and rotten garbage and every performance. Instead, we've got twitter and reddit which are the functional equivalents of poo poo and rotten garbage.

So Gamergate, in your mind, is just a reactionary and emotional lashing out against random people? Doesn't seem very socially or mentally healthy to me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Are you admitting you're an rear end in a top hat, or are you saying that Gamergaters are assholes for trying to use someone's consensual sexual habits as a personal attack?

You repeatedly screamed "autist" and "retard" at people who disliked Gone Home, why are you suddenly getting sanctimonious about personal attacks?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Would you be a hypocrite if you got upset if I called your boss and tried to get you fired because of things you said on the internet? I think that's out of line, and I think most adults would agree with me, which is why I'm struggling as to why this is commonly accepted and defended behavior in Gamergate.

I don't identify as a Gamergate supporter, but as someone who follows the drama for chuckles I assure you that both sides have tried to destroy careers over all kinds of dumb slights.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So Gamergate, in your mind, is just a reactionary and emotional lashing out against random people? Doesn't seem very socially or mentally healthy to me.

Pretty much, yup. That's what I see it as and it makes the most sense to me. No, it isn't but that is the internet for you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

You repeatedly screamed "autist" and "retard" at people who disliked Gone Home, why are you suddenly getting sanctimonious about personal attacks?

I did no such thing. I think you're misremembering because you're upset with me. This is something that Gamergaters often did, resorting to baseless attacks on the credibility of their opponents, which is a curious coincidence.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I don't identify as a Gamergate supporter, but as someone who follows the drama for chuckles I assure you that both sides have tried to destroy careers over all kinds of dumb slights.

This seems like a way of dodging the question, which is why Gamergaters are so invested in proving that Zoe Quinn is a hypocrite, even going to extreme and illogical arguments such as "she reads something awful". I think they're just heavily invested in attacking her for some reason and, instead of ceasing their shameful behavior, rationalize like children as to why it's acceptable for them to repeatedly attack a woman who did them no harm.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The reason I brought up Burch is because he's one of the many people who GG have deemed it necessary to attack, not for his politics or even his opinions, but something that is literally nobody else s business.

I disagree. He's absolutely being attacked for his politics and opinions. They go after his private sex life because saying "I hate him because he put lesbians in my shootmans, and not the sexy kind" is too blatant and would give the game away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I disagree. He's absolutely being attacked for his politics and opinions. They go after his private sex life because saying "I hate him because he put lesbians in my shootmans, and not the sexy kind" is too blatant and would give the game away.

actually. most the lesbians in his games are the sexy ones. or they are bi.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

You did, however, post a lot of really inaccurate attacks on Anita Sarkeesian, which kind of adds a weird angle to you.

Remember that? When you criticized her for not putting out videos as fast as Machinima, a multimillion dollar company with 5000 contributors?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hulk Krogan posted:

People hated him way before Gamergate, dude. It's why it's funny to see people like Thug and ddraig bring up his sex life and then wonder why people talk about his sex life.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Obdicut posted:

You did, however, post a lot of really inaccurate attacks on Anita Sarkeesian, which kind of adds a weird angle to you.

Remember that? When you criticized her for not putting out videos as fast as Machinima, a multimillion dollar company with 5000 contributors?

Machinima was a bad example, since I was primarily making reference to 3rd party contributors like Super Best Friends, who produce content with production values that rival Feminist Frequency's and do so on a weekly basis (daily, if you count SBF's private channel).

My overall point was that there was no reason at all why FF couldn't produce videos faster. And then some guy started screaming about someone he heard about in Philosophy 101.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

People hated him way before Gamergate, dude. It's why it's funny to see people like Thug and ddraig bring up his sex life and then wonder why people talk about his sex life.

Those posters were talking about how his sex life was the subject of personal attacks, they weren't just talking about it to talk about it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Perhaps my reading comprehension is unexpectedly failing me. Let's recap:

Ddraig posted:

There's a ton of weird things like this that get passed around as a rumour, one person posts it somewhere, another person cites that as proof, and it's suddenly 'common knowledge'

The most prolific one I remember is that Zoe Quinn's current boyfriend is the son of an arms dealer. Turns out this isn't actually true, her boyfriend is a rich trust-fund type but his father runs a hotel.

Another one that I have no idea the genesis of is that Anthony Burch forced his wife into an open relationship in an attempt to "troll for pussy" himself. As far as I understand it, Anthony Burch is enough of a trainwreck on his own terms to not have to invent stupid stuff about him to make it even worse. The only citation I can find that he "forced" his wife into an open relationship was a post on an anime-avatar Tumblr claiming that "there are rumours that the open relationship wasn't her idea" or something along those lines.

This reads to me like Ddraig brought it up as an example of bizarre irrelevant poo poo that Gamergate fixates on once it decides to go after someone. Then the following exchange happened:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I got open relationship stuff from his twitter and ask account. honestly not sure who propositioned the idea but both starting points paint burch in lovely light. Either he is an rear end in a top hat who forces his wife into having an open relationship or he comes off as wimp/cuckhold who likes watching his wife get hosed by other people. it doesnt really matter, because he is terrible terrible writer who destroyed his own marriage and his own reputation.

Why does this man's sex life irritate you so much? What does he have to do with Gamergate, anyway?

So...I don't really understand your response.

Edit:

SedanChair posted:

Those posters were talking about how his sex life was the subject of personal attacks, they weren't just talking about it to talk about it.

This.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

But they brought it up then suddenly spun around into the "why is this relevant!", which is funny as hell and something that keeps happening. Even in the thread before this one we had people rush in to bring up something Zoe had done and then start complaining that all anyone could talk about was the very thing they'd just raised into the discussion.

I dunno, "how is this relevant" seems to be a question that should be aimed at the people who bring up a given subject.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

His company manages hotels and arms transactions between Brazil and Israel. Diversification isn't exactly uncommon.

Let's recall that there's actually no evidence that this person has any relation to Zoe Quinn's boyfriend. Let's also recall a Classic Moment from Hellthread That Was:

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

apparently Gehr Group funnels money into a PAC called Raytheon, which made a contribution to the candidacy of Rep. Katherine Clark, who recently decided that caring about video game internet wars was more important than literally anything else.

really funny how the alex guy's not-dad made a campaign contribution to the lady that arranged for alex's girlfriend to try and bore a bunch of pages into a coma. i wish someone who coincidentally had my last name would avail me to his money and political connections for no apparent reason.

Tezzor posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

But they brought it up then suddenly spun around into the "why is this relevant!", which is funny as hell and something that keeps happening. Even in the thread before this one we had people rush in to bring up something Zoe had done and then start complaining that all anyone could talk about was the very thing they'd just raised into the discussion.

I dunno, "how is this relevant" seems to be a question that should be aimed at the people who bring up a given subject.

Do you really not understand the difference between "I am criticizing a person for constantly talking about X thing" and "Yo let's talk about X thing" ?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol are people seriously claiming that Raytheon would donate money to a candidate because of video games.

Do people not know who Raytheon are

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dominic White posted:

Yep! Must just be a terrible coincidence that an overtly progressive writer who made fun of MRAs is targeted by Gamergate, using his apparently lack of virile masculinity as a weapon! Totally unrelated, I'm sure.

Notice how the use of 'cuck' as an insult has gone through the roof in the past year? Almost perfectly coincides with when this shitstorm began. Again, must be a coincidence.

He jumped into the middle of the shitstorm, so now his life is poo poo and many others did the same. That used to be what the hell thread was about and more then one poster on these fine forums has melted down about that. But now that is all off-topic. Oh well.

So since this thread is about ethics in game journalism, I'll say I support ethical behavior in consumer press or non-press as youtubers, bloggers, etc.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

This is very confusing. There is no sudden spin into "why is this relevant," the entire conversation began as a way of questioning why it is relevant.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Machinima was a bad example, since I was primarily making reference to 3rd party contributors like Super Best Friends, who produce content with production values that rival Feminist Frequency's and do so on a weekly basis (daily, if you count SBF's private channel).

That's another bad example, since Super Best Friends does LPs and bears almost no similarity. You made a lot of comparisons: they were all terrible, and your main complaint, that she puts out videos too slowly and is somehow scamming people, doesn't really make any sense. Sorry. You clearly really dislike her and want to attack her, but it's really not convincing, especially when you lean on your experience as a video production dude and somehow are terrible at comparing different kinds of video production.

quote:

My overall point was that there was no reason at all why FF couldn't produce videos faster. And then some guy started screaming about someone he heard about in Philosophy 101.

Yeah, this didn't happen. You act as though the mechanical aspect of putting the videos together is all that goes into them, which is clearly not the case. In addition, they don't just do video stuff, and you ignore that the videos they are making are much longer than what they promised to make. No matter how many LPers and comedy people you compare her too, it's never going to be a good comparison.

You also brought up the job she had at age 23 as though that was at all relevant, which was creepy of you, claimed that she'd used art without permission and then 'balked' when the actual artist thanked her profusely for her response to being asked to stop using the art and hailed it as a rare incident of professional courtesy in the internet age, cited a libertarian dude who wanted her to debate John Stossel to attack her, etc.

I think her critiques are kinda mundane and I have no idea how effective they are at all in convincing anyone of anything. But the vicissitude and dishonesty with which people like you attack her is just loving bizarre.

Powercrazy posted:

So since this thread is about ethics in game journalism, I'll say I support ethical behavior in consumer press or non-press as youtubers, bloggers, etc.

Nah, this thread is about GG, not about ethics in games journalism. They don't really have anything to do with each other, as we've talked about previously.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Tezzor posted:

Let's recall that there's actually no evidence that this person has any relation to Zoe Quinn's boyfriend. Let's also recall a Classic Moment from Hellthread That Was:

Yeah, her boyfriend's father contributes to a senator who did Zoe a favor by letting her speak I'm front of some interns. Sorry if that stunningly elaborate post boggled your mind, Goats.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Yeah, her boyfriend's father contributes to a senator who did Zoe a favor by letting her speak I'm front of some interns. Sorry if that stunningly elaborate post boggled your mind, Goats.

It's more the idea that Raytheon's PAC needs money funnelled into them. If Raytheon's PAC needs money, Raytheon can give them some out of the two billion of profit it brings in every year.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Obdicut posted:

Nah, this thread is about GG, not about ethics in games journalism. They don't really have anything to do with each other, as we've talked about previously.

Is it? It seems to most just be people continuing to attack each other even after they've conceded a point.

Also capitalism.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

But is he one of the 13 Jews under the mountain in Switzerland who run the world, or merely a proxy? Perhaps some of the white supremacists on 4chan have some more utterly unsubstantiated theories you can pass off as settled fact

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2015

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

I really, really don't see how "They had to look things up before making a video!" explains why they're being produced so slowly. Reporters have to have an accurate, informative story put together under a very tight deadline. Marketing guys have to make engaging promos for those stories in, like, two or three hours tops.

If your entire job is making brief videos, it seems bizarre that you would release one every three or four months. That's all I'm saying. Not sure why that's such a controversial opinion.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

But is he one of the 13 Jews under the mountain in Switzerland who run the world, or merely a proxy? Perhaps some of the white supremacists on 4chan have some more utterly unsubstantiated theories you can pass off as settled fact

Not all the billionaires in the world are jewish, tezzor.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Tezzor posted:

Why do you keep bringing up the guy's ethnicity like that's the whole reason I mentioned him? He runs a company that contributes to a PAC that contributes to a senator. Is it so outlandish that he contacted this senator and said, "Hey, would you mind doing a favor For my son?"

As I recall you were the only person in Hellthread using racial slurs and ranting about Jews, in what has to be the one of most hysterical strawman arguments I've ever seen.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I really, really don't see how "They had to look things up before making a video!" explains why they're being produced so slowly.

That's because they're not just looking things up. Is this about your ignorance of academic research again?

quote:

Reporters have to have an accurate, informative story put together under a very tight deadline. Marketing guys have to make engaging promos for those stories in, like, two or three hours tops.

And they are routinely absolutely poo poo that completely misrepresent facts--to actually do good investigative journalism takes time and a large staff. Still not a very good comparison, but a somewhat better one.

quote:

If your entire job is making brief videos, it seems bizarre that you would release one every three or four months. That's all I'm saying. Not sure why that's such a controversial opinion

It's not their entire job, not all the videos are brief, and that wasn't all you were saying--remember how you also brought up the job she had at age 23, while falsely characterizing it?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Why do you keep bringing up the guy's ethnicity like that's the whole reason I mentioned him? He runs a company that contributes to a PAC that contributes to a senator. Is it so outlandish that he contacted this senator and said, "Hey, would you mind doing a favor For my son?"

What's the name of the guy who gave the donation, and what year did he do it in?

• Locked thread