Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

After listening to the arkham knight's audio tapes I kinda hope he's the Robin in the batgirl dlc, purely because of the definite emotional attachment there. I think there was more a believable connection in those tapes than there was between Barbara and Tim all game.

Tim was already confirmed by the video, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurtofan posted:

Arkham Island

wait a minute...

Arkham Arkham, a new, mechanical super prison on an artificial continent shaped like Amadeus Arkham's face.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CJacobs posted:

Arkham Arkham, a new, mechanical super prison on an artificial continent shaped like Amadeus Arkham's face.

Speaking of Amadeus Arkham, did we ever get closure on Qunicy Sharpe?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If we're guessing about cut material from the games, I'd bet ten bucks that Rocksteady originally planned for Arkham City's DLC to be playing as Robin and Nightwing defending Wayne Manor.

For reasons unknown, we instead got two fully fleshed out characters with great unique movesets shoved into half assed challenge maps and the underwhelming Harley Quinn's Revenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

After listening to the arkham knight's audio tapes I kinda hope he's the Robin in the batgirl dlc, purely because of the definite emotional attachment there. I think there was more a believable connection in those tapes than there was between Barbara and Tim all game.

They released a video of the DLC. It's Tim.

Kin posted:

He got thrown into Arkham City and Batman was like 'grr, rar" at him.

Apparently there's a Arkham comic which says he got impeached and then hung himself.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Kin posted:

In one of the Tales.

Strange used hypnosis to leave a message in his head to tell him to hang himself in prison.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flytrap posted:

In one of the Tales.

Strange used hypnosis to leave a message in his head to tell him to hang himself in prison.

Ah, poo poo, i knew there was something i was forgetting. I've only bothered to read like a quarter of them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They're quite interesting if short. There's a particularly nasty one where a goon describes how he can tell which Harvey he's talking to based on the speed of his left or right eyeball. :gonk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I had to guess, I'd say the Arkhamverse's storyline is as follows.

* Pre-Batman Years: Initiation (Bruce Wayne DLC/Arkham Origins).
* Year 1: Unseen. Probably played out like the Frank Miller comic, albeit without Catwoman.
* Year 2: Mostly unseen. Ends with Arkham Origins.
* Year 3: Cold Cold Heart (Mr. Freeze DLC/Arkham Origins). Origins Blackgate. Later in the year, Dick Grayson becomes Robin and Harleen becomes Harley Quinn if Multiplayer is any indication.
* Year 4: Barbara is likely Batgirl at this point. Dick is likely still Robin.
* Year 5: Dick or Jason is Robin.
* Year 6: Jason is Robin. Dick has gone off to become Nightwing.
* Year 7: Jason is captured by Joker. A Matter of Family (Batgirl DLC/Arkham Knight).
* Year 8: Assault on Arkham.
* Year 9: Arkham Asylum.
* Year 10: Unseen. The prequel comics for Unhinged take place here, assuming nothing in-game contradicts them.
* Year 11: Arkham City. (Stated to take 18 months after Arkham Asylum.) Harley Quinn's Revenge (Harley Quinn DLC/Arkham City).
* Year 12: Harley Quinn DLC. Arkham Knight. Red Hood DLC.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 9, 2015

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm going to laugh if the DLC ends with Barbara getting shot in the spine by the Joker.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Proposition Joe posted:

I'm going to laugh if the DLC ends with Barbara getting shot in the spine by the Joker.
I'd be funnier if they let you free-roam afterwards but it's just as Barbara in the wheelchair. Bonus points if you can only free-roam the clock tower.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sober posted:

I'd be funnier if they let you free-roam afterwards but it's just as Barbara in the wheelchair. Bonus points if you can only free-roam the clock tower.

:drat:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FREEFLOW x5 COMBO: (A + X) Change colostomy bag

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CJacobs posted:

FREEFLOW x5 COMBO: (A + X) Change colostomy bag

:smith:

I'd be willing to let them go for it. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories had a pretty cool, playable wheelchair moment.

I've finished the main story and am at 95% completion. I have a ton of Riddler poo poo left to do and a few of the militia things. The entire fear toxin sequence with playable Joker was phenomenal, especially the first person segment. It seemed like a bit of a cheap shot for Oracle to be alive in a series that has no qualms about killing off characters left and right, but otherwise I thought the plot was pretty solid. I don't really play these games for plot, but it was definitely serviceable and had a few standout moments. Bruce choosing to give himself up to save Robin and Gordon and then deciding to don the cowl again anyway since Gotham still needed him for one night was the best way they could have gone in terms of it being a definitive ending. Though I still don't know how the Knightfall Protocol stuff will change the story, so we'll see.

Ranking Arkham Knight against Asylum and City is tough. Asylum is such a different game structurally and I think probably offers the best Batman experience of the three because of how well designed it is. That said, the core gameplay mechanics in City make it a little tougher to replay (as I imagine Knight's improvements will for City). Knight's biggest drawback for me was Battle Mode and that the side missions aren't as well balanced as City's were. Shooting drones and helicopters with a tank just doesn't feel very "Batman" when you get right down to it, and there was little variety to it. The game decided to just keep throwing more and more tanks and missiles at you rather than giving you different enemy types. As for the side missions, you have some - the militia ones - that are loving interminable and others like Hush or Deacon Blackfire that are literally one and done. Part of me wishes that instead of spending all that time on Battle Mode and power winch stuff, Rocksteady had devoted all that time and energy to more varied and balanced side missions and maybe some more interior environments. Gotham's design and scope was really stunning to me, but I would have liked more seamless transitions into varied interiors for side missions and predator rooms instead of more and more tank stuff. Count me in as one of those people who thinks the one night conceit is a little old at this point. I think a more episodic style that didn't force the writers and devs to throw the house at Batman would be a welcome change if the series does continue in some fashion. Pursuit Mode was something I grew to love quickly after I got used to the controls, and that element of the Batmobile was a big success, IMO.

Each of the three games is a solid A for me. They each accomplished (for the most part) what they set out to do and Rocksteady really seemed to learn a lot between each game. If Knight had some fun and interesting boss fights, I'd probably put it higher than City, but boss fights are something that the series has struggled with in general. I'd probably give Asylum a 95, City a 98, and Knight a 94 out of 100.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 9, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Best Gotham City stories:

- Riddler being a goon
- What it's like to be cryogenically frozen
- Barbara becomes Batgirl because she hacked Bruce's Wi-Fi

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

- Barbara becomes Batgirl because she hacked Bruce's Wi-Fi

To be fair, she was likely Batgirl before that point.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just got to the part on the rooftop after the arkham knight conclusion.

That was a mess. Even in a wheelchair, Barbara Gordon could easily take out a militia member or two, certainly scarecrow. Instead, she's used purely as the OBJECT that Gordon is afraid of.

And freaking Batgirl screams when she's pushed off a roof. Are you kidding me?

That's 100x worse than a thug calling Catwoman a bitch.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Narcissus1916 posted:

And freaking Batgirl screams when she's pushed off a roof. Are you kidding me?

This is a troll, right?

Yes, you would scream in that situation, are you an insane person.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Narcissus1916 posted:

That's 100x worse than a thug calling Catwoman a bitch.

100 times 0 is in fact 0, correct.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The interview tapes for Oracle are amazing.

Are you still talking? :jerkbag:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oracle getting kidnapped might be weird if literally every single member of the supporting cast besides Alfred didn't get kidnapped and held hostage so Batman would save them. It's kind of lazy writing but it isn't really sexist. Nightwing and Robin get captured just as easily. Christ, Scarecrow somehow captures Robin despite Robin still being fully armed and equipped. Being locked in a box isn't going to save you when you open it and he beats your rear end.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pointing out that the game has serious problems with its depiction of women, even though I've defended most of the choices they've made in the past. I thought Ivy's death was a good moment, and allowed her to go out on her terms. And Harley Quinn is still harley - I don't really have an issue there.

But the handling of Barbara Gordon is just ugly. I don't even mind her fake death being a motivation for Gordon or Batman - that's part and parcel with the world of superheroics. But portraying her as being completely helpless, no matter than Gordon's little boy in Dark Knight... I just don't buy it.

Not trying to throw a grenade in the conversation or anything here. Its just a scene that really rubs me the wrong way, and does a disservice to the character.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Narcissus1916 posted:

Not trying to throw a grenade in the conversation or anything here.
lol

just to reiterate, the problem is that a person in a wheelchair is not equipped for combat with a supervillian who has likely subjected her to psychotropic chemicals

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Not trying to throw a grenade in the conversation or anything here. Its just a scene that really rubs me the wrong way, and does a disservice to the character.

As I said above, if you believe that then you should feel the way about most of the cast. There are things to be said about Arkham's depiction of women but this really isn't one of them. The game does the exact same things to other characters regardless of gender.

Every character basically gets a "kidnapped by villains" moment and later a "does cool things alongside Batman" moment. (Or sometimes they get the cool thing first and then rescue later.) Oracle gets rescued and then promptly uses her hacking abilities to help Batman take down an army in what amounts to the final boss fight of the game because everything after that is cutscene or effectively so.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She's shown as proactive, dangerous and the driving force behind Batman's work in a lot of cases though. She's only "helpless" in a single scene where she's bound and watched by several armed men after previously showing she was fully capable of causing a heavy vehicle to crash by herself. Hell, within minutes of getting out of that situation she's instrumental in fighting off the remains of Scarecrow's army.

I don't see it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

She's shown as proactive, dangerous and the driving force behind Batman's work in a lot of cases though. She's only "helpless" in a single scene where she's bound and watched by several armed men after previously showing she was fully capable of causing a heavy vehicle to crash by herself. Hell, within minutes of getting out of that situation she's instrumental in fighting off the remains of Scarecrow's army.

I don't see it.
Yeah it's more a factor of comic book/video game level writing where if someone needs to be helpless if the plot demands if then they go limp without objection despite all evidence to the contrary.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sober posted:

Yeah it's more a factor of comic book/video game level writing where if someone needs to be helpless if the plot demands if then they go limp without objection despite all evidence to the contrary.

Sure, I'm not gonna disagree with that. :v:

I just don't think the character is anywhere near as bad as made out. I liked the fact it acknowledged her disability without making it a source of angst. It was a limit for Oracle but something that didn't just make her roll over and be a punching bag.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ITT, goons are goonier than the riddler

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sober posted:

She's in a wheelchair

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also your post implies that characters only exist in the game world when she's onscreen. "Why the gently caress didn't she at least try to get away?! They didn't literally show it happening on the screen so I have no choice but to assume it didn't happen!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

She's in a wheelchair

Eh. That's not really a valid point for Oracle.

But as I said, she's not the first nor last character in the game who has both able fighting abilities and plot-mandated weakness.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CJacobs posted:

Also your post implies that characters only exist in the game world when she's onscreen. "Why the gently caress didn't she at least try to get away?! They didn't literally show it happening on the screen so I have no choice but to assume it didn't happen!!"

She also sprayed the driver of her vehicle with mace, causing the car to violently crash, and she crawled away to leave Batman a clue as to her location.

Heck, maybe she was plum tuckered out from doing that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know what'd be great DLC? Making it so that special techniques (Combo Takedown, Multi-Batarang, etc.) cause "POW!" and "ZOOM!" boxes to come up while wearing the Adam West skin.

I'd say do it for all punches, but that'd clutter the screen and no doubt get annoying after a bit.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's wierd. Getting the Arkham asylum and City off of steam for 5 bucks each I thought was a steal, and Arkham Knight PC I think should be worth that much.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I heard rumours floating about that PC folk who pre-ordered might get the season pass free, similar to that gently caress up with AC: Unity, but I've no clue if that's bullshit or what.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

poptart_fairy posted:

I heard rumours floating about that PC folk who pre-ordered might get the season pass free, similar to that gently caress up with AC: Unity, but I've no clue if that's bullshit or what.

Bullshit. They're not that generous. I'd probably bet a 25% discount, and the original hundred dollar men who got hosed on this deal get some exclusive batmobile skinz.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

So...how many people in this thread is really the Riddler?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. That's not really a valid point for Oracle.

But as I said, she's not the first nor last character in the game who has both able fighting abilities and plot-mandated weakness.

I think I remember hearing some Militia chatter afterwords that she had her escrima sticks in the wheelchair when she got grabbed, so even when getting kidnapped she probably still knocked out several Militia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rirse posted:

So...how many people in this thread is really the Riddler?
Just one.

• Locked thread