Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah I went to get my hair cut.

Real shame about Nacer Bouhanni, was hoping he'd be animating the intermediate sprints this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Quite nice to be back to a real classic tdf week one stage. Not.

The scenery isn't even all that compelling.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Cipollini to win the stage for old times sake

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Riders will want to stop crashing all the time imo

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Even the crashes are boring.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

serious gaylord posted:

Riders will want to stop crashing all the time imo

lol

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

First stage entirely in France, first lovely boring stage.. hmmmmMMM

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Smirr posted:

First stage entirely in France, first lovely boring stage.. hmmmmMMM

Also can tell its in France as there is hardly any spectators.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sick sprint at least. Greipel was SO far off

Wow, didn't see Sagan there.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Who won? I peaced out at 20km to go

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Greipel. Sagan sucked his wheel to 2nd place

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The speed on Sagan though. A split second too late.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cavs gonna spend this tour being beaten by a tall German dude

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Cavs gonna spend this tour being beaten by a tall German dude

He must hate all these tall Teutonic bros styling on him every summer. First Kittel now Greipel. And Zabel's son is winning races at Tour of Austria now so only a matter of time

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Glad I skipped this stage, had some Belgian beers whilst getting my hair cut.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Glad I skipped this stage, had some Belgian beers whilst getting my hair cut.

Didn't realize you were Greek

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Didn't realize you were Greek

Nah mate, this was a follicle rather than financial haircut.

Does anyone remember Ax 3 Domaine a few years back; Quintana was off the front, Sky train sucked him up, Froome then attacked off Porte's wheel, got a decent gap, Porte having only just chased Quintana down was obviously still strong enough to attack the rest of the GC contenders to take 2nd?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Does anyone remember Ax 3 Domaine a few years back; Quintana was off the front, Sky train sucked him up, Froome then attacked off Porte's wheel, got a decent gap, Porte having only just chased Quintana down was obviously still strong enough to attack the rest of the GC contenders to take 2nd?

Yes that was Not Normal

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess Froome is the new Armstrong and in ten years he'll be like 'actually I did cheat haha lol'

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

One would think with retro-active testing this poo poo would be caught sooner but in reality they never do targeted retro-active testing because it only generates really bad press.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Pocket posted:

One would think with retro-active testing this poo poo would be caught sooner but in reality they never do targeted retro-active testing because it only generates really bad press.

Would this further limit doping, genuinely curious if anyone thinks it would.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Cookson seems intent on sweeping doping under the rug. They don't even announce positives anymore they just silently update a .pdf.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

More like Cockson. Cock son of a bitch.

e: actually I don't know the man and harbor no ill will against him.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

c0ldfuse posted:

Given near enough everyone 'dopes', and usually in ways that can't ever be tested its unlikely. Cycling is cleaner than many sports, but even so there are still ways round it e.g. micro dosing which are probably endemic hence the times that have been set for the past few years by most of the field.

Its nowhere near as bad as Football, American Football, etc where it appears to be an established part of the game at the highest levels even though everyone tries to hide the fact. Its just safe to assume all athletes dope now, as its easy to do it and not get caught, especially given most the testing regime in many sports is almost none existent.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

c0ldfuse posted:

It's claimed to dissuade doping and was recommended by the CIRC but I can't imagine teen/20-something aged athletes being presented with the opportunity to dope are going to be worrying about possible consequences down the line anymore than the possible health implications. If budgets were not an issue and current and retroactive testing were meticulous and not an infrequent shots in the dark I think we could have a positive impact.

Something that is being worked on, but often behind the scenes, is targeting the grassroots. Just like in school the "Don't do Drugs" seminars targeted at youth athletes, problem though is the environment and culture an individual matures needs to be sanitised, team staff, dopers, pushy parents and dirty doctors have massive sway with young impressionable athletes. At least now this is a discussion being had at that level, I've not read any papers to its effectiveness, something I'd imagine being extremely hard to measure.

Fake edit: wtf am I doing effort posting about sports doping?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassroots won't do dick if everyone meets a pack of dopers the instant they get competitive.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I like to hope that not everyone is doping and some teams will not lead their youth riders to dope.

To lighten poo poo up here's a How to guide on cheering on the Tour : https://www.facebook.com/EurosportFR/videos/1600184483566313/

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
The bitterness in this tread :stare:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

vodkat posted:

The bitterness in this tread :stare:

Is directed at the lying cunts and ineffectual "leadership" figures.

Yeah everyone does it, but certain fuckheads are more smug about it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Boring stage. When to we start the Pyrenees?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Well its just to the point that the last couple of pages make it sound like no one is actually enjoying watching the race.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The only good thing to come out of today was that Martin didn't fall so Sky couldn't capitalize on a downed yellow jersey.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

and tomorrow's gonna be so much better, right guys? A long boring stage, with a 1.5k climb to finish? Yeah, lets have a finish neither sprinters nor climbers target!

Yes yes I know there's the classics guys, but they get, you know, the classics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

vodkat posted:

Well its just to the point that the last couple of pages make it sound like no one is actually enjoying watching the race.

Miserable is just the default setting

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

JohnCompany posted:

and tomorrow's gonna be so much better, right guys? A long boring stage, with a 1.5k climb to finish? Yeah, lets have a finish neither sprinters nor climbers target!

Yes yes I know there's the classics guys, but they get, you know, the classics.

Sagan has a chance!

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
The only good thing about the TDF is it makes the spring classics that much better.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

vodkat posted:

This Tour is off to the most interesting start in a few years, there's just no winning with some people.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm enjoying this Tour and hell, I'll watch it again tomorrow.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
as far as first weeks go its ok. shame about the froomening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vodkat posted:

I think that's the whole point of this thread

Though to be fair, these sprinter stages clumped together don't really lend themselves to much excitement. Once it gets to the mountains it'll really get going.

Only chance of much happening today is if the wind is up, and someone gets left behind in a split. (it'll be Quintana)