Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lemme know if any of you dudes and dudettes plays the new VS system at GenCon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It sounds like you can take both Space Marine and Imperial Guard vehicles, too, so you can work with the best of both worlds there.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Lemme know if any of you dudes and dudettes plays the new VS system at GenCon

Is there anything new or is it just another reprint catastrophe like last year?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Im not sure Im willing to give up staging grounds and raiders just yet, plus KFG issues, but I think I'll be playing around with it for fun if not tournaments plus he's just going to get better with time.

Gimmie those looted sentinels one day

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Devlan Mud posted:

I wish FFG would put the 'Nid expansion on the drat boat instead of showing all these previews of cards we'll get in nine months.

edit: Gorzod is amazing though, holy poo poo.

I suspect that Nids are coming out at GenCon (or slightly after to avoid disrupting Nationals), but that the Planetfall cycle will follow close behind.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

I suspect that Nids are coming out at GenCon (or slightly after to avoid disrupting Nationals), but that the Planetfall cycle will follow close behind.

There is zero chance that the Conquest Deluxe with the Tyranids won't be for sale at Gencon. I can't speak to it's legality there after as to when they consider "street date" on it, they might just call that a prerelease, but you can bet your house on them having copies for sale at Gencon.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

PaybackJack posted:

There is zero chance that the Conquest Deluxe with the Tyranids won't be for sale at Gencon. I can't speak to it's legality there after as to when they consider "street date" on it, they might just call that a prerelease, but you can bet your house on them having copies for sale at Gencon.

What gives you that certainty?

Edit: the reason I ask is that it is still labeled as at the printer, and it usually takes a while to ship to the states. It'll either need to be mislabeled or hurried to make it here in time.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 9, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Those labels are not necessarily true. FFG has gone on record on several occasions that, for example, they receive an entire cycle of chapter/force/war packs at once now, to cut back on the wicked delays between releases that have happened in the past.

2nd Ed of AGoT is still labeled as at the printer, and we know beyond any doubt that it will be at GenCon in abundance.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
You have now secured FFG as my first stop. Really looking forward to the 'nids.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR: Are Bad Guys "characters"?

When text is "when an enemy engages a character" does that include voluntary engagements?

Edit: When does Galadriel Speak in the Two towers I.E. Idrean's flavor text?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 9, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

When text is "when an enemy engages a character" does that include voluntary engagements?

Yes

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Baron Porkface posted:

LOTR: Are Bad Guys "characters"?
No

quote:

Yes

quote:

Edit: When does Galadriel Speak in the Two towers I.E. Idrean's flavor text?

She doesn't. Gandalf is passing along a message from her to Aragorn. (During their meeting in Fangorn)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rusty Kettle posted:

What gives you that certainty?

Edit: the reason I ask is that it is still labeled as at the printer, and it usually takes a while to ship to the states. It'll either need to be mislabeled or hurried to make it here in time.

The listing at the printer doesn't mean they didn't advanced an order, shove a couple boxes up the queue, so they could have some to sell at Gencon. Companies will always print off a fair bit of early copies to get to their 2nd tier playtest teams and out to reviewers. Pretty much everything sells a ton at Gencon and showing up with as many boxes as they could carry meant that they'd sell a ton. FFG has done this in the past too, heck tons of companies show up with a small supply of whatever they have coming out because they know it will sell, people love coming back from Gencon with prereleases to be smug about, and its the best time to hype that product. Hell, I'd even bet GenCon sales on this would be like 50% of the total sales they get that are at MSRP.

So yeah, unless they had a gently caress up and couldn't get the stock, I'm certain they'll have copies there for sale.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PaybackJack posted:

The listing at the printer doesn't mean they didn't advanced an order, shove a couple boxes up the queue, so they could have some to sell at Gencon. Companies will always print off a fair bit of early copies to get to their 2nd tier playtest teams and out to reviewers. Pretty much everything sells a ton at Gencon and showing up with as many boxes as they could carry meant that they'd sell a ton. FFG has done this in the past too, heck tons of companies show up with a small supply of whatever they have coming out because they know it will sell, people love coming back from Gencon with prereleases to be smug about, and its the best time to hype that product. Hell, I'd even bet GenCon sales on this would be like 50% of the total sales they get that are at MSRP.

So yeah, unless they had a gently caress up and couldn't get the stock, I'm certain they'll have copies there for sale.

I'm torn between wishing they'd make it legal for nats and hoping they don't since we're getting pretty drat close to the actual GenCon dates.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did someone says nids?

Wow that is, uh, not a whole lot of command icons on those units.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 9, 2015

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

You have now secured FFG as my first stop. Really looking forward to the 'nids.

Also my first stop. We can be line buddies!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Did someone says nids?

I'm sorry you must not have seen the unit that gives every termagant a command icon.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has anyone here beaten The Dunland Trap?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't think anyone's posted this here yet, but here are a ton of GOT2 cards spoiled:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't quite understand what deck building will look like in GoT2. I never played 1. Those faction cards give you permission to include non loyal cards from that faction, which seems like a given. Does that mean that for some reason you cannot use loyal cards from a faction in its own deck?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I don't quite understand what deck building will look like in GoT2. I never played 1. Those faction cards give you permission to include non loyal cards from that faction, which seems like a given. Does that mean that for some reason you cannot use loyal cards from a faction in its own deck?

As I understand it, you choose a House, and per the House Card you have to have a minimum of 12 cards from that house in your deck. Now assuming the deck is 60 cards, that means the other 48 cards can be from another house entirely. Everything I've read says that the other portion of the deck can be any 1 other house making any deck consist of no more than 2 houses, but the house cards as shown don't seem to reflect that. But presumably, you could run a Baratheon house deck, where 4/5ths of the deck is actually Greyjoys; surprise!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

You can use loyal cards of your own house, just not the agenda house.
I assume.

e: Cards with a target in front of their name are Unique. Cards with a little ribbon under their house banner are Loyal.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 10, 2015

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

Choose a Faction. You can include all cards from that Faction in your deck, observing card limits (3 of, limit 1, etc)
(Optional) Choose an Agenda. The core set has 9 Agendas spoiled so far (Fealty, and the Banners)
-The banners allow you to take any faction other than your chosen Faction (as long as they are non-loyal) and you have to include a minimum of 12.

You can include as many Neutral cards in your deck that you want. Minimum Deck size is (probably) 60.

Fealty, aka the 3x core Agenda

Carteret fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 10, 2015

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Did someone says nids?

I don't think Nids will need that much command thanks to the Synapse mechanic. If any Synapse unit has 2+ command icons (or just acts like a warlord for command in the same way that the other one acts like a warlord for combat), you'll basically have 2 command snipes a turn, allowing you to do well on command even if the rest of your deck doesn't have that many icons.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Baron Porkface posted:

Has anyone here beaten The Dunland Trap?

Yes. The first time I beat it using this deck: https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/deck-aggro-boromir/

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Carteret posted:

Choose a Faction. You can include all cards from that Faction in your deck, observing card limits (3 of, limit 1, etc)
(Optional) Choose an Agenda. The core set has 9 Agendas spoiled so far (Fealty, and the Banners)
-The banners allow you to take any faction other than your chosen Faction (as long as they are non-loyal) and you have to include a minimum of 12.

You can include as many Neutral cards in your deck that you want. Minimum Deck size is (probably) 60.

Fealty, aka the 3x core Agenda

You can only choose one? So if you choose Fealty, you can only use your faction's cards? Thus, as you insinuated, you'll need more than one core set to use it?

So for the GenCon tournament, I'll need to choose two factions.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

You can only choose one? So if you choose Fealty, you can only use your faction's cards? Thus, as you insinuated, you'll need more than one core set to use it?

Pretty much, yeah. Assuming, of course, that the distribution of cards will be similar to Conquest's, it will work much the same. They might decide to do smaller deck sizes for the tournament, but I doubt it.

In addition to what GrandpaPants posted above, this spreadsheet has all of the AGOT spoilers if it helps you make a decision on what Factions to use.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Assuming, of course, that the distribution of cards will be similar to Conquest's, it will work much the same. They might decide to do smaller deck sizes for the tournament, but I doubt it.

In addition to what GrandpaPants posted above, this spreadsheet has all of the AGOT spoilers if it helps you make a decision on what Factions to use.

Pro: Those kinds of agendas lead to thematic decks and reward deck building within a faction. It 'punishes' banner decks as they won't have an additional ability.

Con: There will be at least one card (likely more) that are literally unplayable without buying another core. I was planning on getting three eventually anyway, but I can see how people could be upset about it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Agendas in 1st Ed pretty much shaped the meta and defined deck building. To give you an idea of the crazy places they went with Agendas... behold, The best (worst?) Agendas ever printed:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rusty Kettle posted:

I've also been thinking about what I want to play in the GenCon tournament, and it seems like you'll need to play a 2 faction deck. I'm kind of curious what other people are thinking is good in the GenCon format (1 core set). We still need Martell and Tyrell spoilers (though Tyrell is mostly spoiled at this point).

Thoughts so far:

Good banners to take offer strong non-loyal characters (probably unique) and a couple solid events. My thoughts so far:

Baratheon - not a great banner to take. You get the R'hollar stuff, and that's about it.
Greyjoy - Seems decent. Asha is solid, Iron Islands Fishmonger is probably a 2 of in the core set and it's ability isn't house specific, which makes it pretty drat good. Throwing Ax and Risen from the Sea are both reasonable inclusions to get you up to 12.
Lannister - Look really loving good as a banner choice. You get Jamie and Tyrion (I'm not sure if Joff is worth mention, though Widow's Wail is solid) . The Things I do for Love will certainly have utility in the 1 core format.
Martell - We know the least about them so they may be better post spoiler. Dornish Paramour is solid and that's about it so far.
Night's Watch - Jon Snow isn't terribly exciting outside of a Night's Watch deck. They don't seem to offer much as a banner faction. As a main faction they suffer from this being the absolute worst format that will ever exist for Take the Black. I plan to avoid playing them in any capacity at GenCon.
Stark - Eddard as a non-loyal is a thing. If the last unrevealed plot is a war, then Vanguard of the North would trigger off about 1/3 of the plots, which is pretty decent.
Targaryen - Dracarys! isn't as exciting if Targs are your banner faction since you don't get Dany and the dragons aren't as exciting without her. Mormont seems quite good to me in that he will probably accumulate some early wins for you and then he can hang back on defense.The Unsullied are also a pretty solid unit.
Tyrrell - The other faction we don't have a spoiler post for. Margaery is great as is the Knight of Flowers. Hopefully they have some good events to round them out. The Bear and the Maiden Fair is probably actually decent in this format since no one will have more than 1 of any unique character in their deck. This could really throw a couple of their bombs on the bottom of their deck.

Right now, I think the good "ally" factions for GenCon are the Greyjoys, the Lannisters, or the Tyrells. Maybe the Martells will make it once we see some more of their cards. At the moment I'm leaning towards Targaryen with a Tyrrell banner. The Tyrell cards seem to interact well with the Targ -Str stuff. Loros + Dany seems like a really good pairing whenever it comes up, and Margaery is really strong with the Targ -Str game. You can also Handmaiden Marg to get a +6 Str boost, which should be pretty much impossible to beat.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The bit on this page
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-only-game-that-matters/

that says "Well for starters, you get all eight factions, instead of just four. Because you can combine any two factions to form a pre-constructed starter deck, the variety of match-up options and the replayability right out of the box is beyond compare. And that’s all before any player-initiated deck customization! "
Makes me think that you'll have to combine two houses to get a playable 1core deck.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Karnegal posted:

I've also been thinking about what I want to play in the GenCon tournament, and it seems like you'll need to play a 2 faction deck. I'm kind of curious what other people are thinking is good in the GenCon format (1 core set). We still need Martell and Tyrell spoilers (though Tyrell is mostly spoiled at this point).

Thoughts so far:

Hmm, interesting thoughts. I think Baratheon will be a good pick as a Banner faction, though; the R'hllor stuff looks fairly self-contained, so, if you get enough of them, you can do some useful things. You also get Maester Cressen for more attachment control. As you said, Lannister and Tyrell seem to be the best Banner factions, though. Jaime, Tyrion, Margaery and The Knight of Flowers all look really solid.

Greyjoy looks like they'll have the same problem as Night's Watch for choice of Banner faction; most of their stuff looks like it works only on them. Of course, I would have said the same about Space Marines in single core games of Conquest, and they ended up winning all of the time, so who knows. Most factions would be happy to have extra stealth from Greyjoy, at least, and Aeron Damphair being non-loyal should help get Greyjoys on the field. Depending on what the last couple Night's Watch cards are, I think they'll have some good utility, too. Veteran Builder looks like it will enable some cool tricks. Stark will want Ghost, too, for more Direwolf Ambush shenanigans.

I was a big fan of Lannister in the old game, so I'll be trying them out with Tyrell or Baratheon. Might also try them with Stark, for hilarity. Once I get a second core, though, I'll probably stick with Fealty, depending on how many Neutral cards I want to use.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Just going off spoilers, Lannister splashing Tyrell seems pretty good for a single core game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Hmm, interesting thoughts. I think Baratheon will be a good pick as a Banner faction, though; the R'hllor stuff looks fairly self-contained, so, if you get enough of them, you can do some useful things. You also get Maester Cressen for more attachment control.

I thought Baratheon would be a good splash, but maybe less so in a 1 core game, which would only likely have 1 Melisandre and maybe 2 of the Rhllor followers? With a 3x Core, that is a lot of control that can be splashed in with minimal cost, but 1x...eh. But I agree with the common sentiment that Lannister and Tyrell seem to be the best 1x splash. Stark maybe too in a vanilla way, since Arya is a pretty solid character, Bran has a super useful ability and Sansa gives you a power generator. The rest of their cards seem like decent filler, like the Tumblestone Knight and Vanguard look solid in an unremarkable way.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought Baratheon would be a good splash, but maybe less so in a 1 core game, which would only likely have 1 Melisandre and maybe 2 of the Rhllor followers? With a 3x Core, that is a lot of control that can be splashed in with minimal cost, but 1x...eh. But I agree with the common sentiment that Lannister and Tyrell seem to be the best 1x splash. Stark maybe too in a vanilla way, since Arya is a pretty solid character, Bran has a super useful ability and Sansa gives you a power generator. The rest of their cards seem like decent filler, like the Tumblestone Knight and Vanguard look solid in an unremarkable way.

Yeah, Stark looks solid, if unremarkable. As for R'hllor, we've got Melisandre, Selyse Baratheon, and Fiery Followers already. I'm thinking we'll get two or three more R'hllor characters, maybe one of which will have two copies, and some more vanilla filler in the cards we don't know of yet. If I can get six or seven R'hllor characters and the Summons Plot, I'd be pretty happy using Baratheon as a Banner faction.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, Stark looks solid, if unremarkable. As for R'hllor, we've got Melisandre, Selyse Baratheon, and Fiery Followers already. I'm thinking we'll get two or three more R'hllor characters, maybe one of which will have two copies, and some more vanilla filler in the cards we don't know of yet. If I can get six or seven R'hllor characters and the Summons Plot, I'd be pretty happy using Baratheon as a Banner faction.

I think the main issue is that unless other Rhllor non-uniques do something with Rhllor (slither style), then Rhllor seems very dependent on getting Melisandre out to enable their control game. Like the utility of being able to tap their biggest unit and also take out their most dangerous card in hand for 1 is HUGE (I'm judging this based on other card games, since I don't know the flow/tempo of a GoT game at all). With 3x Core, Summons can hopefully get her in hand, but with 1x? I'm hesitant.

That being said, I'm looking forward to doing a Greyjoy/Baratheon deck once I get my 3x Cores.

Also, I assume that if a character with power on him/her dies, they take all that power with them?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the main issue is that unless other Rhllor non-uniques do something with Rhllor (slither style), then Rhllor seems very dependent on getting Melisandre out to enable their control game. Like the utility of being able to tap their biggest unit and also take out their most dangerous card in hand for 1 is HUGE (I'm judging this based on other card games, since I don't know the flow/tempo of a GoT game at all). With 3x Core, Summons can hopefully get her in hand, but with 1x? I'm hesitant.

That being said, I'm looking forward to doing a Greyjoy/Baratheon deck once I get my 3x Cores.

Also, I assume that if a character with power on him/her dies, they take all that power with them?

You're not likely to see Melisandre every game, true, but I was more looking at it for Seen in Flames. Since no one is going to have more then one of any card in their deck, being able to take something dangerous out is even more powerful. As you say, probably too inconsistent, though. I'm thinking Baratheon will get one or two more solid non-loyal cards, which is why I'm optimistic about them as a Banner :)

Yes, if a character with power on it dies, you lose that power. Assuming they didn't change, Power challenges only allow you to steal power from your opponent's Faction card, so Power on characters is safe from that, too. This can create some interesting situations, especially at the beginning of the game where neither player has Power to be stolen.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know much about Got, but it seems like kill and destroy decks would be great in a single core environment, especially with the ability to rise from the dead. So I was thinking perhaps Greyjoy and Lannister. I dunno who would be banner and who would be the main faction, but killing dudes when no one has a lot of dudes seems artificially great.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/10/the-dread-realm/

Sword-Thain :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cato getting all of his tricks is a really loving hard deck to crack. I lost with Nazdreg after 2 7 ATK alpha strikes got Indomitable'd away and my 10 HP Cyborked Enraged Ork got Fury of Sicarius'd. Sigh.