Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Due to a surplus of bombs after making my hellevator, I decided to go to one of the oceans and drain it into hell. Substantial explosives and and pickaxe-application later, and so much water is moving that it's not... actually moving. I dug through a cave pond and it didn't move. Anyway, I get down to hell, glide to the nearest platform, see a bit of obsidian having forme-WHUMP

Suddenly all the water insta-settles and there's 8-10 feet of water above my head. A cozy 10th of hell is now submerged. Startled me a bit. Proooobably should have learned how to fish and brought a rod/bait down to take advantage of my new Hell Lake before it eventually evaporates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Nuebot posted:

Those are all complicated and I'm pretty dumb.

It's not complicated at all....

Build a simple structure like this:

code:

X   
X @
XXXXX   
X       
X       X
XXXXXXXXX
X               X
X               X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dump your bucket approximately on the @ sign, and then use it again (to pick back up a portion of the liquid) right as it falls off that ledge. You have to let at least one drop of it fall before you click to pick it up in order "create" extra liquid, and the timing is slightly different for each liquid (the thicker the liquid the slower you have to go). The second ledge is just there to catch a little bit in case you "miss" picking back up any from first ledge by going too slow. The second ledge will pretty quickly fill up and start flowing into the larger reservoir at the bottom.

Supremezero posted:

This doesn't actually work anymore, unfortunately. They apparently had to fix it in order to make the more realistic liquid flow they added to 1.3 work.

I'm at work and actually can't view the link I posted above to see the details listed there (stupid internet filters), but the technique I have described above definitely still works because I have used it myself to create very large quantities of lava and water outside my house to make an obsidian generator. Its not as fast as the old pump generators you could use to create huge quantities in very short order on the older versions, but it is a hell of a lot better than stringing long lengths of wire.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 9, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Supremezero posted:

This doesn't actually work anymore, unfortunately. They apparently had to fix it in order to make the more realistic liquid flow they added to 1.3 work.

I got the triangular one with spaces between each block to work for a short while but then it suddenly stopped working for some reason.

Filled up half a lake and then stopped producing water no matter how many times I reset it

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Whoa the Bee Gun just obliterates the normal mode dungeon. Sadly I read that the hardmode equivalent isn't nearly as awesome due to the high def on enemies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, are there any mods for 1.3 that disable trap spawns in world gen? They're really harshing our game.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

Hey, are there any mods for 1.3 that disable trap spawns in world gen? They're really harshing our game.

I don't know about mods, but dangersense potions will make traps light up neon and sparkle, makes em pretty obvious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, they're nice but they keep running out without us realizing and we're too earlygame to just mass-produce them. Are there any infinite duration mods, then? Like we're not even in lead armor yet and we've already died tons of times to instant death explosive traps.

v That'll work too, but I don't know any of the hack engines.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 9, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, they're nice but they keep running out without us realizing and we're too earlygame to just mass-produce them. Are there any infinite duration mods, then?

Why not just edit in an infinite supply.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skeleton alchemy zone starting to feel rad, but not rad enough

also for someone who asked earlier the background wall is "blue tiled wall" from the dungeon

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If I could make a mod it'd be to make it so banners warded enemies from spawning near you or something. Like if I hung up a demon eye banner, it'd stop them from pestering me when I'm trying to build. Or maybe implement a spawn limit like in Dark Souls 2, with some ridiculously high numbers however, so after killing like a few thousand eyes they'd stop spawning. Then I could kill literally everything. This has been me getting mad after a demon eye knocked me into my own lava pool.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nuebot posted:

If I could make a mod it'd be to make it so banners warded enemies from spawning near you or something. Like if I hung up a demon eye banner, it'd stop them from pestering me when I'm trying to build. Or maybe implement a spawn limit like in Dark Souls 2, with some ridiculously high numbers however, so after killing like a few thousand eyes they'd stop spawning. Then I could kill literally everything. This has been me getting mad after a demon eye knocked me into my own lava pool.

Plant some Sunflowers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, they're nice but they keep running out without us realizing and we're too earlygame to just mass-produce them. Are there any infinite duration mods, then? Like we're not even in lead armor yet and we've already died tons of times to instant death explosive traps.

v That'll work too, but I don't know any of the hack engines.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ is pretty drat easy to use. Always back up files just in case, of course.

Once I've reached the point where the traps are a bigger threat to my life than the critters (which is pretty drat early, though it may never come on expert mode), I usually keep a pressure plate in my hand while I'm running around exploring caves.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eric the Mauve posted:

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ is pretty drat easy to use. Always back up files just in case, of course.

Once I've reached the point where the traps are a bigger threat to my life than the critters (which is pretty drat early, though it may never come on expert mode), I usually keep a pressure plate in my hand while I'm running around exploring caves.

Thanks, we'll check it out.

Traps don't seem to be any more common than on normal, but they're just not fun at all. Enemies who knock you blind into water and you land on a boulder trap, but then the water slows you down so you can't move fast enough to get away. They killed my friend's character in a place that he couldn't retrieve his poo poo and they're just causing what is otherwise a pretty good time to be a kinda bad one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, that was pretty drat unclear writing on my part. What I meant was--I'm not an expert and so I don't play on expert--but I imagine enemies can very quickly kill you on expert even with decent early-game gear. On normal mode there really isn't anything in the cavern that can quickly kill you once you get as far as Silver Armor or so, besides the drat spiders (and now the loving retarded Medusas, but there's no defense against them at all). So I usually go around carrying a pressure plate (which reveals the wires all traps are rigged up with, though you need at least a smidgen of light to see them by).

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The White Dragon posted:

If you can grab the mechanic, keep wirecutters she sells on you and have it out when you go through a trap zone, clip the wires as you go, cause they show up.

This is how my group survived the temples in Expert. I was the designated disarmer.

Maybe I totally misunderstood your post.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supremezero posted:

It's actually pretty amazing Pre-hardmode. Gigantic AoE. As in, pretty much screen-wide.

The AOE didn't seem THAT big (this might just be because I'm playing at a high resolution though), but its definitely powerful when a bunch of enemies are clustered up. I took it against cthulu's brain and it vaporized the creepers right away, trivializing the whole fight. I'm still using my meteor laser for stuff far away but its definitely a cool weapon. Too bad its a rare drop from one of the most obnoxious enemies in the entire game.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
gently caress boulders forever

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supremezero posted:

I just used a bucket to scoop honey as it hit the pool I was making and I definitely was duplicating liquid because I made it overflow by mistake. :downs:

Blackheart posted:

Whoa the Bee Gun just obliterates the normal mode dungeon. Sadly I read that the hardmode equivalent isn't nearly as awesome due to the high def on enemies.

The shark tooth necklace's defense piercing effect might help with that.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Kinetica posted:

gently caress explosives traps forever. I don't know if 1.3 edited it so all of them have nice big tell-tale detonators by them now but in the past stepping on a pressure plate a dart will hurt, a boulder will REALLY hurt but can be dodged, but explosives, it's literally a click and you're dead.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I was trying to mainly stick to summoner gear this time round, but I have to say it really doesn't seem worth it so far. My main issue is that the minions seem to get stuck on poo poo constantly, and don't catch up to you until you're more than a screen away. This causes me much grief on invasions, where my usual strategy is to hide inside a wooden box while my army of death spheres handle things. But half of them seem to get stuck inside with me at any given time.

It might get better once you get to post-golem stuff, but right now tiki armor + spheres just doesn't seem worth the tradeoff. You have lower armor, it eats up more accessory slots, and you miss out on full DPS because of lovely minion pathing. Eventually I just said gently caress it and switched to beetle armor and melee, it's measurably better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kinetica posted:

I'm not even mad when a boulder squishes me. Its too drat funny.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I was trying to mainly stick to summoner gear this time round, but I have to say it really doesn't seem worth it so far. My main issue is that the minions seem to get stuck on poo poo constantly, and don't catch up to you until you're more than a screen away. This causes me much grief on invasions, where my usual strategy is to hide inside a wooden box while my army of death spheres handle things. But half of them seem to get stuck inside with me at any given time.

It might get better once you get to post-golem stuff, but right now tiki armor + spheres just doesn't seem worth the tradeoff. You have lower armor, it eats up more accessory slots, and you miss out on full DPS because of lovely minion pathing. Eventually I just said gently caress it and switched to beetle armor and melee, it's measurably better.

Minions are more something going on while you do something else, at least until you get stardust dragon and things go crazy. The UFO minion from the martian invasion is pretty good til then, other ranged minions miss too much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

The UFO minion from the martian invasion is pretty good til then, other ranged minions miss too much.

iirc don't the Mech Eye pets have some kind of melee component? I remember thinking that they were really good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Abandoned Toaster posted:

gently caress explosives traps forever. I don't know if 1.3 edited it so all of them have nice big tell-tale detonators by them now but in the past stepping on a pressure plate a dart will hurt, a boulder will REALLY hurt but can be dodged, but explosives, it's literally a click and you're dead.

I'm pretty sure I hit an explosive pressure-plate trap just today, because suddenly the screen was empty of rock and I had 10 HP left. :gibs:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Word of warning to people

Terraria does not like you stealing resources from other worlds and bringing it back to your main one. I spent hours mining Granite biomes. had about 40 stacks ready to so i could, for the first time ever, make a REAL building.

Moved all the granite to my primary world, had to go do some shopping, and when i came back, the Granite was gone from my primary world chests. I checked the temp chests i made to hold it on the other worlds, and those were empty as well.
Guess its time to go back to starbound :(

Are you using cloud saving? I found it to be really unstable, and as soon as I started saving locally everything got better. In the meantime, go find one of the save editors, (there's even one that works in your browser) and give yourself the blocks you earned.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fishing the surface jungle in hardmode is the worst experience in the world. Derplings are awful.

Then the game gave me the Seedler and I forgave it everything. Sweet christ this is a good sword.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

iirc don't the Mech Eye pets have some kind of melee component? I remember thinking that they were really good.

I didn't have them when I tried pets out and don't have them yet on my latest guy, but I hear they're pretty decent, at least for crowd control. The piercing attack limit (6 per target per second regardless of source) makes them less good for bosses.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I switched out my Amarock for the Shadowflame Dagger for a while and beat up Plantera but then I found a (several actually) Kraken and lol yoyos are crazy op again

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just wait for your next solar eclipse.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Just wait for your next solar eclipse.

Already got the Eye of Cthulu, but it wasn't quite the hilarious step up over what I that the Kraken was.

edit: not that it wasn't also hilarious. I want to use all the cool and interesting weapons I'm finding but it's so easy to say "eh I'll just stick to my murderballs"

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey, thanks for this. I just used it to spare myself some tedium of farming Truffle Worms, and it was super easy to do!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Nope, not all of them have detonators!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I love explosive traps.

First one I ever saw, on a goon server: "Oh, huh, wonder what's in here?"

*Right click to open*

*BOOM*

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So weird poo poo.

The rest of the house is fine, but the tiny little square of space where the cursor is? Not suitable housing and monsters will spawn on it. No gaps in the backwall or anything.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
drat the solar weapons don't seem really great. Shoulda saved the fragments for something else.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

And can't be used to generate infinite water anymore, so you can't just grab a couple buckets and use that to make the rest.

I filled up all my lakes using a pump and 6 buckets to prime it with. They still seem to output more than they take in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For those of you having trouble with traps, carry around Wire Cutters. When you have them in your hotbar and switch to them you can see all the wires around you, makes it really easy to spot traps. As a bonus you can also easily disable them and take the wire for yourself.

Nuebot posted:

So weird poo poo.

The rest of the house is fine, but the tiny little square of space where the cursor is? Not suitable housing and monsters will spawn on it. No gaps in the backwall or anything.

Shamelessly stealing your idea for npc housing design.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It seems Terraria likes to crash quite a bit nowadays and it's almost always after doing something that I really don't want to redo (like remodeling a part of my base).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Xenaero posted:

drat the solar weapons don't seem really great. Shoulda saved the fragments for something else.

Solar weapons are fantastic with a melee armor set. You can use both extensively on the moon lord, and the solar eruption is great for killing stuff on the other side of a wall (or 10 walls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

It seems Terraria likes to crash quite a bit nowadays and it's almost always after doing something that I really don't want to redo (like remodeling a part of my base).

If you have cloud saving on, turn it off.