Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arkham Riddler is funny, but man does he seriously need some help. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

TAKE THAT, FATHER. ... I mean Batman.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Riddler cop claims to have started helping him because he was so pathetic and had stopped looking after himself.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fishmech?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Honestly, the only major things I would change about Barbra's plotline would be drop the shaky voice when she tells Scarecrow she's not afraid of him, and no scream when he drops her off the building. Having Barbra overpower fear and have faith in Batman (toss in a line like "I knew you'd catch me") would have been both a cool character moment for her and also foreshadow the entire end sequence. The whole game is about Bruce's fear and the ending is all about facing them and winning; you could even argue that Jason coming back at the end was him overcoming his wounds left by a fear of abandonment. It'd be cool to see Bruce learning from his allies.

Otherwise, the Gordons' plot is alright in my eyes. I don't care for Jim just completely disappearing for the entire second act, but it's pretty solid otherwise. It's a lot more solid than Tim Drake's plotline or the Arkham Knight's.

Edit: I'm also okay with having Catwoman's entire role being to own the Riddler for half the night.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fixable:

- Harvey
- Harley
- In theory, Riddler. In practice, he thinks he fixed himself.
- Bane (already done)
- Mad Hatter. For the schizophrenia part. The pedophilia not so much.

Not Fixable:

- Joker
- Ra's, by extension Talia
- Firefly
- Pyg
- Killer Croc

There's nothing wrong with you mentally, why the gently caress do you keep getting sent to Arkham:

- Penguin
- Black Mask

Why are you even called a villain at this point:

- Catwoman
- Mr. Freeze

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Fixable:

- Harvey
- Harley
- Bane (already done)

Not Fixable:

- Joker
- Firefly
- Pyg
- Killer Croc

There's nothing wrong with you mentally, why the gently caress do you keep getting sent to Arkham:

- Penguin
- Black Mask

- Catwoman
- Mr. Freeze

Croc's criminal tendencies and rage issues all stem from his appearance and people reacting to it. You could have Superman or a Green Lantern drop him off on a planet of chill lizard folk, and he'd probably mellow out. Or at least that what I keep telling DC in my letters demanding a Killer Croc in Space series.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Crowetron posted:

Croc's criminal tendencies and rage issues all stem from his appearance and people reacting to it. You could have Superman or a Green Lantern drop him off on a planet of chill lizard folk, and he'd probably mellow out. Or at least that what I keep telling DC in my letters demanding a Killer Croc in Space series.

Planet Killer Croc, which leads into World War Croc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There actually was a really fun elseworld where Bruce Wayne was working as a doctor at Arkham Asylum in-between his Batmanning and actually trying to help his patients recover. Croc was one of the guys he managed to successfully work with.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There actually was a really fun elseworld where Bruce Wayne was working as a doctor at Arkham Asylum in-between his Batmanning and actually trying to help his patients recover. Croc was one of the guys he managed to successfully work with.

I've actually always wondered why, with the ever expanding Batfamily, he's never had an ally inside Arkham trying to patch poo poo up. Obviously, you could never have big characters like Scarecrow or Riddler get better in the mainstream issues, but it'd be kinda cool if occasionally you saw Batman getting updated some D-listers or henchmen are recovering.

Funky Valentine posted:

Planet Killer Croc, which leads into World War Croc.

How many comics do I gotta buy to see Killer Croc punch Charles Xavier?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

What happens at the end of the Riddler quest line is too good for him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Crowetron posted:

How many comics do I gotta buy to see Killer Croc punch Geoff Johns?

FTFY

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

To further the Robin weirdness, Barbara is wearing a Flying Graysons necklace. Cool detail, but it is a bit weird that they put Tim and Barbara together.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 9, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Funky Valentine posted:

Fixable:

- Harvey
- Harley
- Bane (already done)

Not Fixable:

- Joker
- Firefly
- Pyg
- Killer Croc

- Penguin
- Black Mask

- Catwoman
- Mr. Freeze

Actually Penguin, Mask, and Catwoman don't get sent to Arkham. They get sent to Blackgate specifically because they aren't insane. Freeze is only sent to Arkham because they have the tech to hold him. Same with Croc from what I recall. I mean Killer Croc can't be all that crazy, he just happens to be a giant man-crocodile. Hatter needs to be moved WAY the gently caress out of the fixable area. He's a rapist pedophile. Riddler is definitely fixable to the point where it happened in the comics. Harley......ya know, most fans will say she could be fixed if she could ditch Joker, but that's not true. She just runs to Ivy at that point and does more crime. And it's a super defining aspect of her character that she can't ditch Joker. At least not for long.

I really wish it were possible to save Harvey Dent. Batman's exasperated talk with him once you bring him in is pretty sad. Just a tired "That wasn't my fault, Harvey." As if they'd talked about it millions of times, which I'd believe. That and then "I'm sorry, Harvey."

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 10, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crowetron posted:

Otherwise, the Gordons' plot is alright in my eyes. I don't care for Jim just completely disappearing for the entire second act, but it's pretty solid otherwise. It's a lot more solid than Tim Drake's plotline or the Arkham Knight's.

Where in the hell does he go anyway? Is he immediately captured and detained for most of the game or is he just wondering around Gotham all night? If the latter, why didn't Batman track him down and stop him within 15 minutes?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Steve2911 posted:

Where in the hell does he go anyway? Is he immediately captured and detained for most of the game or is he just wondering around Gotham all night? If the latter, why didn't Batman track him down and stop him within 15 minutes?
I was more worried how he could even find cover during the Cloudburst fear toxin sequence.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crowetron posted:

There was that Batman the Animated Series episode where Croc stumbled upon a community of former circus freaks who welcomed him to their community. But he then tried to rob them and gets sent back to jail.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Riddler's identity finally revealed as Andrew W.K.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've been thinking, in most continuities Riddler is portrayed as a legitimate genius who's just not quite as smart as Batman, but is still capable of coming up with some really clever schemes and riddles. But I kind of like the idea that Arkham Riddler is just really really dumb and all the Bat family and cops are just humoring him. Like he's a guy who actually thinks standing on a pressure plate and hitting a question mark button with a batarang at the same time is a real puzzle that Batman will really have to work at to solve. Batman just goes though the collect-a-thon because he feels too bad to tell the guy those are like the kind of puzzles they give to chimps and crows.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like the Riddler, he's one of my favorite Batman villains along with Mr. Freeze. I enjoy both types, like where he's legit messed up in the head and you can't help but feel sorry for him, and like the Arkham games where he's just Jigsaw.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SonicRulez posted:

Actually Penguin, Mask, and Catwoman don't get sent to Arkham. They get sent to Blackgate specifically because they aren't insane. Freeze is only sent to Arkham because they have the tech to hold him. Same with Croc from what I recall. I mean Killer Croc can't be all that crazy, he just happens to be a giant man-crocodile. Hatter needs to be moved WAY the gently caress out of the fixable area. He's a rapist pedophile. Riddler is definitely fixable to the point where it happened in the comics. Harley......ya know, most fans will say she could be fixed if she could ditch Joker, but that's not true. She just runs to Ivy at that point and does more crime. And it's a super defining aspect of her character that she can't ditch Joker. At least not for long.

I really wish it were possible to save Harvey Dent. Batman's exasperated talk with him once you [spoiler]bring him in is pretty sad. Just a tired "That wasn't my fault, Harvey." As if they'd talked about it millions of times, which I'd believe. That and then "I'm sorry, Harvey."

Croc is into anthropophagy so I say that warrants him staying at Arkham.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 9, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SonicRulez posted:

I really wish it were possible to save Harvey Dent. Batman's exasperated talk with him once you [spoiler]bring him in is pretty sad. Just a tired "That wasn't my fault, Harvey." As if they'd talked about it millions of times, which I'd believe. That and then "I'm sorry, Harvey."

Harvey was cured for a few years during the Hush Storyline. His face was repaired and he got his mind back. Though he was a darker person then he used to be he became an ally of Batman. Batman even training him as a new crime fighter.

Then the Great White Shark decided to make a power play and had several D List and one B list criminal assassinated. (Orca, KGBeast, Magpie and Arnold Wesker and Scarface.) Shark was probably feeling really petty at the time (Shark had served as a helper for Two Face back in Arkham in exchange for protection. But Harvey refused to help him half the time.) and had Harvey framed for the murders. Batman started to suspect him which eventually resulted in Harvey relapsing and scaring his face again. Batman discovering the Truth only after it was too late.

Rirse posted:

There was that Batman the Animated Series episode where Croc stumbled upon a community of former circus freaks who welcomed him to their community. But he then tried to rob them and gets sent back to jail.

To be fair to Croc here. He was going to rob them after finding out about their money, but decided not to after remembering how kind they were to him. Then Batman showed up having come to capture him and Croc was too aggressive about insisting they kill Batman. When they refused he turned on them attempted to steal the money and locked them up before being captured again by Batman.
It was a pretty cool episode and probably the best Croc episode.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 9, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

I think these games really could do with not all being one night affairs.

If say for instance if crimes had ideal and obvious orders to be tackled in (like in this game the third firehouse burns for a good 3rd the game if you do them as available, catwoman's just chilling in an empty room listening to riddler talk his head off with a bomb around her neck, the serial murderer has enough time to scope out victims and place new ones)

If it was more everyday batman the detective, stopping the fires first, preventing as many of the serial murders as possible using clues that become more obvious the more you go forward and 'fail' to prevent some (even having like the big bads location switching between play throughs), having small optional crimes to solve for bonus experience and gadgets.

It feels like the 'this all happened in one night' narrative kinda hurts a lot of potentially cool possibilities.

I dont want another Batman game to be honest, I want someone to do a decent ersatz-batman ripoff that isnt constrained by canon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SonicRulez posted:

Harvey's persistent psychosis is weird to me whenever the only context for Two Face is just "He got acid on his face!" The animated series and Long Halloween did a good job of sowing a long history of mental instability that the acid just exacerbates, and Dark Knight showing a good inciting event that is then promptly resolved with no chance of addressing his craziness.

I don't think Freeze can be fixed, without curing his biological problems. And I don't care what anyone says I like frozen spider-robot head Mr. Freeze from the animated series :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

massive spider posted:

I dont want another Batman game to be honest, I want someone to do a decent ersatz-batman ripoff that isnt constrained by canon.

Eh, ersatz villains would be bad, I want the real deal.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A "cured" Harvey Dent was such a great story avenue.... that was immediately flushed down in DC reboot/regime change #479.

See also, Paul Dini turning Riddler into a scuzzy private detective who used his celebrity to solve crimes.

Haven't gotten to Knightfall yet, but I did get to the climactic main story missions. Still processing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always liked how Asylum went out of its way to refer to Scarecrow as sane, just really goddamn evil. It's great that in a world full of super villains, mutations, mental illness and so on, there's still room for someone who just goes "yup wanna scare people". :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

TAKE THAT, FATHER. ... I mean Batman.

Post story spoilers He comes on the intercom after finishing the game and basically has a breakdown about Batman being Bruce Wayne, although he ends up convincing himself it was all a trick.

Unrelated but I was kind of annoyed with the final part of the game where they make you break mind Joker's neck. I sat there waiting it out to see if you could avoid it and it just kept repeating the same animation over and over until I did it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Post story spoilers He comes on the intercom after finishing the game and basically has a breakdown about Batman being Bruce Wayne, although he ends up convincing himself it was all a trick.

Unrelated but I was kind of annoyed with the final part of the game where they make you break mind Joker's neck. I sat there waiting it out to see if you could avoid it and it just kept repeating the same animation over and over until I did it.

Considering the easter egg if you hang around and don't cook Joker in the opening I was sure there'd be something neat if you refused to press the Kill Joker button. But I guess not :(

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Considering the easter egg if you hang around and don't cook Joker in the opening I was sure there'd be something neat if you refused to press the Kill Joker button. But I guess not :(

No joke, I spend a good 10 to 15 minutes on this scene because Batman doesn't do poo poo like that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Worth it for when Joker starts making chicken noises at you though.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What's this easter egg?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Medium Cool posted:

What's this easter egg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxnpKTd-k-g

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair to Croc here. He was going to rob them after finding out about their money, but decided not to after remembering how kind they were to him. Then Batman showed up having come to capture him and Croc was too aggressive about insisting they kill Batman. When they refused he turned on them attempted to steal the money and locked them up before being captured again by Batman.
It was a pretty cool episode and probably the best Croc episode.

I threw a rock at him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That's not it...that's just the new game plus opening.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's not it...that's just the new game plus opening.

Oh, my mistake. Is there anything else like that in NG+?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I can't stop playing this game with the Zur-En-Arrh skin. Thank you whoever approved that decision.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Oh, my mistake. Is there anything else like that in NG+?

That was the only thing I noticed, I liked it a lot though. A small change that makes a big difference.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Narcissus1916 posted:

To further the Robin weirdness, Barbara is wearing a Flying Graysons necklace. Cool detail, but it is a bit weird that they put Tim and Barbara together.

I'm really beginning to suspect they're somewhat merging Dick and Tim to make it easier on newcomers. Because Tim is "Robin" and it's just easier for them to do "Batgirl and Robin like each other" than to be all, Ok so Nightwing used to be Robin and he had a thing with Barbara but then he grew up and went away but still has a thing with Barbara occasionally when they're in town, and blah blah etc.etc. explaining back story to people that only played the games. Also they would have to make a new character model/costume for Dick!Robin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
^^ They the A:O multiplayer skin

Also, teh Gotham story where Jason gets kidnapped after he goes after the Joker for dismembering children (EDGY) states the Asylum had been abandonned, so, I guess that means he was kidnapped after AA? I dunno.

• Locked thread