Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004

blatman posted:

Does this mean it's a bad time to resub for LJ? I haven't touched the progression servers yet this time around, but I'm itching for some MMO action in a 20 year old game

Its actually a good time to just be starting because you can choose whether you want 3 mo progression (ragefire) or 6 (lockjaw) without having to give anything up by switching or being biased by prior expectations

also - apparently the boss changes make naggy/vox/ct/inny pretty loving strong, so if you have any ambitions on them realize its going to take a pretty solid raid guild to down them, whereas before it was conceivable that any ragtag group could get them-- the only barrier being ability to beat others to the punch. Its looking like now you need organization and numbers outside what a pug or casual guild can probably field.

honestly, just writing this out makes ragefire sound like the place to be. But being on LJ i've been inundated with how bad TL is.

Irrational Man fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Malt posted:

I'm done. It was really two things that did it for me, LJ being 6 months and Holly saying that casuals don't deserve kills. Every MMO in the world, including EQ, instances now. How can you say that 98% of both servers don't deserve to ever do content. Kronos, monks, mages, out of era spells, pickzones, etc but they draw the line at not instancing raid bosses because "classic".

And no way am I staying on Lockjaw so that I can get Kunark on a dead server a couple of weeks before Velious opens on RF.

All the raids are instanced in modern EQ.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
RF is not on a 3 month unlock timetable. The Kunark vote opens in 3 months, then it returns to 6 months unless people want 3 again.

But it's about to fill up with Faceless and other guilds moving to Lockjaw (provided a free transfer is offered).

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 1, 2015

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

I dunno. I like the fact that LJ is 6 months. I'm slowly leveling to 50, don't want to have to hurry up.

Holly's comment is pissing me off though. It's like Scarface: don't use your own product.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The only thing I don't like is that I thought I had time to get to the top to be ready for Kunark, and now I have about a month to fill half an inventory's worth of slots in raid gear. I'm in a guild that's moving forward at a decent pace, but they won't be there in a month.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Casuals sure do get pissed when they're called casuals.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

jetz0r posted:

Casuals sure do get pissed when they're called casuals.

Sure do if it's the people in charge that are calling them that. Actually the bigger problem is that the person in charge then says that casuals shouldn't allowed to have fun because then the elitists won't be able to feel superior.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Nobody's saying you can't have fun, they're saying there are varied levels of time investment and you're not entitled to everything just because you want to be. If the only way you can have fun is by killing a highly contested mob that people are poopsocking daily, your definition of fun is the problem, not the game or its management.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 2, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Slim Killington posted:

Nobody's saying you can't have fun, they're saying there are varied levels of time investment and you're not entitled to everything just because you want to be. If the only way you can have fun is by killing a highly contested mob that people are poopsocking daily, your definition of fun is the problem, not the game or its management.

yes the casuals are to blame for windstalker lady saying cunty things

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Slim Killington posted:

Her quote shows that they correctly identified what the majority of the players want and consciously decided that the majority can't have that because then the minority wouldn't feel like they're superior.

And no, it's not the only way I can have fun. I've cancelled my sub and will be enjoying life and playing tons of other games. I do think I'm entitled to having an opportunity to be challenged in the way I want to be challenged. It just would have been nice if they mentioned earlier that these Progression servers are only for Hardcores to compete with Hardcores, would have saved me a month. But hey, better late then never.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Sergiu64 posted:

And no, it's not the only way I can have fun. I've cancelled my sub and will be enjoying life and playing tons of other games. I do think I'm entitled to having an opportunity to be challenged in the way I want to be challenged. It just would have been nice if they mentioned earlier that these Progression servers are only for Hardcores to compete with Hardcores, would have saved me a month. But hey, better late then never.

Classic raid targets were never going to be open to casual players from the moment they said raids wouldn't be instanced. The only thing that changed was that DBG acknowledged what everyone competing for those dragons already knew, and modified the encounters for those players.

You were never going to be able to walk into solb during primetime and join a pickup dragon raid. If you can't or don't want to put in the time to raid, there are plenty of other things to do in everquest that aren't contested, or are only lightly contested. You wanted a classic EQ experience? Congrats, you got it. It was a bad game run by a dumb company. Filled with awful design, and plenty of reasons for people to quit.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I don't think casual play is even bad. It would own to log in and kill 30 mobs and get an upgrade, and that's what modern mmos do. But eq progression was never gonna be that.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is mad, casuals hate current-content raiders, and SOE DBG is retarded: contrary to their public statements pre-launch, DBG has in fact delivered the true 1999 experience.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
16 years later and this argument is still going on verbatim. Glorious!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

J posted:

:corsair:

I think he was talking about the fungus covered great staff that got removed.

:corsair:

yeah most likely. I'm an old grandpa. I think also the rubicite thing. Its been a while.

darkhand posted:

The things you can get right now, that you can't get later are the any-class-click DE mask and rubicite armor.

OH the de mask! Was wonderful as I was a troll, shrinkage and non hostility to certian things.

Does the old invis hand in trick still currently work?

E:
ALso circlet of shadow when kunark is out if out. Get that before they nerf it. One is instant invis the other is cast to go invis.

E2:
Lockjaw was my first raid boss :v: He was killing all of us newbies on the beach so I got everyone together and we fought it like 3 or 4 groups of us. Was awesome. Then we rolled on his tunic lol.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 2, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I've probably logged about one hour a night for the past week just sitting LFG and spamming Antonica, General, and Faydwer chat for a group. I'm a 37 Tank. Wtf? Is the Ragefire population in that range dreadful or something?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That lasts pretty much all the way through 44-45. The highest concentration of players seems to be in that range on the server right now.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

joshtothemaxx posted:

I've probably logged about one hour a night for the past week just sitting LFG and spamming Antonica, General, and Faydwer chat for a group. I'm a 37 Tank. Wtf? Is the Ragefire population in that range dreadful or something?

I am trying to recall what I did at 37 wayyy back in the day.. Is high hold keep too low ?

I cant remember where I went after HHK but I remember going to kobolds in my 40s i think?

I remember mayong mistmoore too. Not sure if that was in between 37 and 40s.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Spent 14 hours at assassin the other night to have 4 masks go to pubbies instead of any of our 3 man guild group. It was just like being 16 again, except now my back hurts.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You can spend like level 20 through 50 in Ocean of Tears. The zem is not great but there are a ton of mobs. Upper 30s: Castle Mistmoore, UGuk maybe, parts of LGuk like bedroom. Closer to 40s you can hit better camps like frenzy and AM/Lord. The ZEM in the guks is pretty good but depending on who's camping what, sometimes you can't get a lot of mobs.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

WetSpink posted:

Spent 14 hours at assassin the other night to have 4 masks go to pubbies instead of any of our 3 man guild group. It was just like being 16 again, except now my back hurts.

You're not playing classic style unless you delete rots.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I started messing around on another server since I have some time payed for from LJ.

What level are the mercenary AA's and are they actually useful? I want to mess around in the newer content eventually, but want to know if it's worth picking up the expansion for that stuff now.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Al Borland posted:

I am trying to recall what I did at 37 wayyy back in the day.. Is high hold keep too low ?

I cant remember where I went after HHK but I remember going to kobolds in my 40s i think?

I remember mayong mistmoore too. Not sure if that was in between 37 and 40s.

I think most of HHK is too low. I've been crossing fingers for MM or Lower Guk groups really.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Malt posted:

What level are the mercenary AA's and are they actually useful? I want to mess around in the newer content eventually, but want to know if it's worth picking up the expansion for that stuff now.
I think you can start getting merc AAs at level 1, they're paid for with the exp that mercs usually eat.

They're not worth worrying about. Though they may be more useful at lower levels, since a bunch of them are crappy flat increases for amounts that don't matter at high levels.

Feel free to level up and play without buying TDS/CotF until you get to the point where you want to do cotf heroic adventures, you're not missing much by having those expansions at lower levels.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

joshtothemaxx posted:

I think most of HHK is too low. I've been crossing fingers for MM or Lower Guk groups really.

I vaguely remember farming nobles but i think that was like 40ish. and you have to be able to kite.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone know who I need to talk to in game about http://www.fvraidcopy.com? Seems to have all the info on the site but that.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Every 3 - 5 years I get the urge to play EQ again because I'm a retard.

Proof? I rolled a Berserker / Shaman box.

I'm tempted to just bounce over to the test server as Luclin prices are a bit much and I don't have the plat to twink. Is this a bad idea?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Should do f2p on live first. If you like it, sub. If you like it and don't want to sub, copy to test.

Twinking is 95%pointless.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

darkhand posted:

Twinking is 95%pointless.

Welp that's a first.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Do you plan to raid or get really into the group game? Play live. Will you probably quit soon and just want to have fun? Hit up test, /testbuff, and enjoy double exp with an empty server to use it in.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good to me, thanks!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Mayor McCheese posted:

Sounds good to me, thanks!

If you need a help with anything or some plat just talk to Marshe in game.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

Should do f2p on live first. If you like it, sub. If you like it and don't want to sub, copy to test.

You know any chick from vulak who played a druid? Something like Kuvani?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah I know kuvani/gabby.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

Yeah I know kuvani/gabby.

You're not in gchat, infos?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

She is pretty good and cool. Kinda talkative, but usually puts people in a good mood.

Someone in TL was being like legit sociopathetic towards her. Like telling her they were gonna train her and kill / rape her irl or something cuz she "stole" someone's item(she really just won some roll.) I think that knocked some wind out of her playing on Ragefire somewhat. She was hanging around qulas and crew a lot lately, I heard she made a character on live. Is she trying to app to ROI now?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Way overly exaggerated, she did get called out in guildchat for being a bad player / person by one guy who was fed up with her. She de-guilded and everyone celebrated until officers with e-boners for her got her to rejoin. She then basically quit playing after realizing that most of the guild dislikes her.

She is one of "those" gamer girls who gets people to level her and get her groups while she afks etc. Toxic describes it best.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

jetz0r posted:

You know any chick from vulak who played a druid? Something like Kuvani?

Speaking as the raid leader / main tank for most of SoD, UF, and HoT, Kuvani was the only healer I'd trust over my own bots to keep tanks alive. Also the only one to provide requisite druid poo poo to the casters for burns.

She also never stops talking, is like 19 years old and it shows, and cannot ever make up her mind about anything.

I personally liked having her around because she was a stellar player that I could absolutely trust to do her job even while she was bullshitting, but I can see why so many people in EoE didn't. My understanding is a least half the guild had her on mute / ignore simply because she never shuts up once she gets going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I guess ragefire is being ddosed because people are sad about their 7 day cheating bans