Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try out the new Protestant mechanics since CS dropped, are the new benefits significant enough to abandon Catholicism as France?

Protestantism is really, really good. Outside of just the bonuses, which are really nice, the ability to switch them out is super useful. Just finished a giant war? Throw the morale and discipline bonuses out and replace them with unrest and missionary strength. You get church power so quickly that once you have your first 3 picked you'll be sitting on 200 reserve power all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

VDay posted:

Protestantism is really, really good. Outside of just the bonuses, which are really nice, the ability to switch them out is super useful. Just finished a giant war? Throw the morale and discipline bonuses out and replace them with unrest and missionary strength. You get church power so quickly that once you have your first 3 picked you'll be sitting on 200 reserve power all the time.

That seems like a bug or something.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

That seems like a bug or something.

The bonuses aren't super strong so I don't think it is.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The bonuses aren't super strong so I don't think it is.

Yeah, each individual bonus is worth about half an Idea or policy. The awesomeness is in their versatility and how quickly you can switch them out. Once you're mostly converted you will generate the 100 Church Power to swap an idea every handful of years, like 3-4, 5 max. You have options for everything-- military, realm stability, economy. I can run with +2.5% Discipline, +5% Morale, and +10% Manpower Recovery during war, then switch the first two to -1 RR and +1% Missionary strength after I end the war. You build Church Power pretty much as quickly as you'll ever want to swap bonuses.

Another way to think of it might be that you get +1 Own Tolerance and +10% taxes which is nice, plus about 1.5 free policies/ideas worth of bonuses you can swap more or less at will.

Edit: I used to love Reformed for exactly that reason, the versatility. Switch on +15% Morale during wars, -2 RR and +1 Dip rep during peace. Cool! Protestant does the same thing but better, you have good options for everything. Colonizing? +10% Production, +15 Settlers/month YES PLEASE.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reformed has the trade bonus fervour though...I missed it a little in my Netherlands game, but I definitely abused the crap out of the colonial bonus.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that Protestantism and Reformed now both have the same flexible bonuses gimmick, but Reformed is more rigid and stronger and Protestant is more varied but weaker. Also they made Papal Influence convert to Bonus Church Power when you go Protestant. Not sure if they did that for bonus Fervor.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I like that Protestantism and Reformed now both have the same flexible bonuses gimmick, but Reformed is more rigid and stronger and Protestant is more varied but weaker. Also they made Papal Influence convert to Bonus Church Power when you go Protestant. Not sure if they did that for bonus Fervor.

They also added a couple of better papal boons as well.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They also added a couple of better papal boons as well.

Now I just wish they'd give the last few remaining 'boring' religions some freaking events and mechanics.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

When you make a random new world, are the same number of provinces kept? I'm explorting "brazil" right now and it's like 3 huge provinces that cover 1/4 of the map.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Now I just wish they'd give the last few remaining 'boring' religions some freaking events and mechanics.

Catholicism could probably stand to not be a lovely lottery with trash bonuses

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
How doable is that Najd achievement to get the 500 Sunni provinces? I've never played as a muslim nation that wasn't Ottomans or a horde, so I was thinking of trying that one next.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

When you make a random new world, are the same number of provinces kept? I'm explorting "brazil" right now and it's like 3 huge provinces that cover 1/4 of the map.

Sadly, the Random New World is based on the old province count for the New World, before Art of War or El Dorado added a bunch of new provinces in North/South America.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it also doesn't have the same number of provinces in each region I don't think, they're randomly distributed. lots of the time there will be trade regions with like only 2 provinces in them.

Agnostalgia posted:

How doable is that Najd achievement to get the 500 Sunni provinces? I've never played as a muslim nation that wasn't Ottomans or a horde, so I was thinking of trying that one next.

oh yeah it's like super easy man no problem at all definitely just jump right in

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Agnostalgia posted:

It's up there with the "Own every X producing province in the world as <lovely nation>" ones for hardest in the game. Besides the fact that Najd is a pretty weak nation in a real lovely starting position, 500 provinces is a lot. Like...a lot.

I loaded up my lategame Russia game to check and this is actually exactly 500 provinces worth of land:

And that's 1)playing as Russia and 2)getting dozens of provinces for free for just colonizing Siberia.

e: As another point of reference, when I did the Kongo achievement I made a list of all the provinces I would need just to keep track and cross them off. All of continental Africa is "only" like ~350 provinces. Now obviously there's a ton of wasteland in there, but it still gives you an idea of just how much poo poo you'll need to take over to hit 500.

VDay fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 9, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

New patch update just dropped. Checksum 0xCFF0.

quote:

July 7th: Updated with AI fixes, fix to exiled units joining sieges, tweaks to development costs, and misc other bug fixes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

New patch update just dropped. Checksum 0xCFF0.

Ahem. What about the Dutch reclamation bug.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

VDay posted:

It's up there with the "Own every X producing province in the world as <lovely nation>" ones for hardest in the game. Besides the fact that Najd is a pretty weak nation in a real lovely starting position, 500 provinces is a lot. Like...a lot.

I loaded up my lategame Russia game to check and this is actually exactly 500 provinces worth of land:

And that's 1)playing as Russia and 2)getting dozens of provinces for free for just colonizing Siberia.

e: As another point of reference, when I did the Kongo achievement I made a list of all the provinces I would need just to keep track and cross them off. All of continental Africa is "only" like ~350 provinces. Now obviously there's a ton of wasteland in there, but it still gives you an idea of just how much poo poo you'll need to take over to hit 500.

no kiev? what the gently caress man

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PrinceRandom posted:

no kiev? what the gently caress man

I was going for the Master of India achievement so I only really picked off Danzig in Europe for the free Westernization and generally left everything else alone until something too good to pass up would happen and I'd take some land, which is basically how I got all of Scandinavia. Doing that gave me so much AE that Europe was basically not worth dealing with anymore. At one point I had like half the continent with -200 or more AE penalties against me.

It's partly why I wish the AE system would get some kind of reworking. It's not necessarily bad, and there definitely needs to be something to stop you from just declaring war on every single nation around you and annexing them all, but it's kind of silly that you can get like a -500 AE penalty with a nation that you didn't even go to war with because you swallowed up all its neighbors. I wish having super high AE had more sophisticated penalties (or rather, gave those countries bonuses against you or something) than just a -200 relations penalty that lasts for 250 years and a coalition system that can still be completely avoided if you just get big enough to scare all the coalition members off from ever declaring war.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The way you describe ae sounds exactly how it works in reality.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They should have a bandwagon mechanic though. Small states who are watching a big one conquer everyone might like to team up with them to postpone their own destruction, but that might now work from a gameplay perspective.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't get Common Sense to work. Steam says I own it, it's checked in the DLC box on Steam, but it doesn't show up under the DLC tab in the launcher and I can't mess with development in-game. Any ideas? I tried verifying the cache and deleting/reinstalling.

E: Never mind, I owned the Common Sense Content Pack, not common sense :downs:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 9, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I love how as the Ottomans, my Better Relations over time bonuses from Humanism (+33%), Multilingual Diplomats policy (+20%), and an advisor (+30%), my huge AE penalties (e.g. -91 with Austria) will decay in 20 years if I just sit tight or turn my attention elsewhere for a bit.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That area of the map is insanely annoying because no matter which nation you pick, the other 4 or 5 will rival you and ally eachother and you just sit there for 50 years

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I really don't understand why the presence of a revolution in Europe causes your prestige to tank. The stab cost modifier and unrest make sense, because your people are getting all sorts of ideas in their head. But why the prestige hit? If the revolution goes on for awhile every European country's prestige drops to -100 and there's barely a thing anyone can do about it.

I basically spent the last 40 years of my Palatinate game sitting in the prestige gutter because Spain went revolutionary and couldn't get out of it. According to the wiki they'd have to get to +1 stability to end the revolution disaster, but they kept going bankrupt every 3 years so their stability was stuck at -3 for decades. I didn't want to ally them because their country was a loving mess, but they were too far away to bother attacking. Was there anything else I could have done?

EDIT: There really needs to be a way to stop endless bankruptcy loops. Shouldn't going bankrupt mean that people won't give you loans anymore?

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 9, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Bort Bortles posted:

I love how as the Ottomans, my Better Relations over time bonuses from Humanism (+33%), Multilingual Diplomats policy (+20%), and an advisor (+30%), my huge AE penalties (e.g. -91 with Austria) will decay in 20 years if I just sit tight or turn my attention elsewhere for a bit.

Seen Italy's +50% better relations over time? :getin:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I didn't realize mercs don't upgrade automatically, but it makes sense. This explains why my merc stacks that I keep out in the colonies have been underperforming.

How long have I been doing this :negative:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is it normal for both me and my enemies to be able to just waltz right through neutral territory during wars? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible without military access. Is it because I'm an HRE prince and the neutral territory is also part of the HRE?

This was a while ago, but: if you're in a war either with or against the emperor, you can freely march through any province in the HRE. (Even ones held by countries not in the HRE.)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does anyone know if vassals count as allies for scripting / event purposes? i.e. if a trigger requires a country to not be your ally, can they still be your vassal and allow the trigger to still be true?

E: Unrelated but drat Wiz is going on holiday for a month. Have a good time and know that I am eternally jealous of anyone able to take more than a week off work at once!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 9, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Allyn posted:

This was a while ago, but: if you're in a war either with or against the emperor, you can freely march through any province in the HRE. (Even ones held by countries not in the HRE.)

That feature in particular has been in the game for a LONG time, more recently though military access is shared through every belligerent in a war. So if France gets access from, like, Aragon to go fight Castile, everyone in that war has access through Aragon without having to ask.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just posted a dev diary about how we're remaking Random New World.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wiz posted:

I'm really glad you moved away from procedurally generated landmasses in favor of premade tiles. The clash between the old and the new world in terms of map detail was my biggest issue with the RNW.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
The most important part

quote:

modders familiar with map-making will easily be able to make more (without changing the checksum)
So good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I was just thinking the other day that a tile-based Random New World would be a good idea, and then you go and post this. I have a few question though, in regards to the terrain and climate. I assume the tiles include heighmaps, but do the heighmaps affect climate? As in a great big mountain range could result in a rain shadow, while highlands are cooler than lower lying regions. Also, am I correct in assuming each tile has to be a complete landmass? In my mind I had imagined a sort of puzzle-piece system, with various pieces having predefined possibly neighbors (meaning a massive super continent could be created out of a bunch of smaller pieces), but then it is pretty easy coming up with ideas you don't have to implement. :v:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was just thinking the other day that a tile-based Random New World would be a good idea, and then you go and post this. I have a few question though, in regards to the terrain and climate. I assume the tiles include heighmaps, but do the heighmaps affect climate? As in a great big mountain range could result in a rain shadow, while highlands are cooler than lower lying regions. Also, am I correct in assuming each tile has to be a complete landmass? In my mind I had imagined a sort of puzzle-piece system, with various pieces having predefined possibly neighbors (meaning a massive super continent could be created out of a bunch of smaller pieces), but then it is pretty easy coming up with ideas you don't have to implement. :v:

Yes, they include heightmap, and yes, both heightmap and rivers affect the surrounding terrain.

No, a tile does not have to be a complete landmass. A tile can be an archipelago of hundreds of islands.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 9, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is it normal for both me and my enemies to be able to just waltz right through neutral territory during wars? I thought that wasn't supposed to be possible without military access. Is it because I'm an HRE prince and the neutral territory is also part of the HRE?

If a neutral country has granted mil access to your enemies it's now also extended to you, to avoid some of the sillier tricks you could pull off this way.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope the new RNW generation has plenty of options such as:

Continent(s) / Mixed / Archipelago

Lower / Same / Higher province count than real New World

Native tech levels: Historical / Random / Western

Native density level: Historical / Random / High Density (i.e. few empty provinces, only in extremely mountainous and arid regions)

Also a "Columbus was right!" option with no new world at all just sea all the way to China.

Basically the more crazy ahistorical poo poo the better.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 9, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wiz posted:

You either read my mind or the thread you clever bastard

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

[quote="RabidWeasel" post="447539623

Basically the more crazy ahistorical poo poo the better.
[/quote]

Yes. I'd like some ahistorical events and missions if I form Italy or something. It should kinda be a big deal but it feels empty

Also yes please to the other stuff

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I wish Oceania could be randomized as well, with Australian megafauna surviving like in the LP so i can conquer the world with Diprotodon riding armies. Sunset Invasion part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
It's shameful to admit this, but I've never really had a successful HRE game. I've decided to go for easy mode and pick Brandenburg->Prussia, as a way to relax after the grueling ordeal that was Blobzantium, but I kinda have analysis paralysis on what early idea sets to pick.

I'm thinking of a diplo set first, to do something with my dip points, but can't decide which one - diplo or influence? Same goes for the second military set, although I'm leaning towards Offensive. Third will probably be Economic, since you start so poor, but I'm open to suggestions. Advice?

• Locked thread