Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Black Mage | Time Mage | Geomancer | Chemist

Yay.

IronicDongz posted:

Wow, looks like I'm Red Mage/Red Mage/Dragoon/Dragoon this time. Symmetrical-rear end run
"Being a Red Mage who knows how to !Lance. That is the secret to my casting Thundara and Cura over and over again for a hundred years"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mustard Iceman posted:

"Being a Red Mage who knows how to !Lance. That is the secret to my casting Thundara and Cura over and over again for a hundred years"

It's a race to see whether a boss's HP or MP will run out first!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

the run?? its going good and fun why do u ask

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IronicDongz posted:

the run?? its going good and fun why do u ask

That is a surprisingly low amount of gil for how long you must have been in that basement!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's a race to see whether a boss's HP or MP will run out first!

i did an MP kill on atma weapon in 6 when i was a kid. don't do that imo, anyone else who plays 6

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Natalya Fartz posted:

And gilgabot announces your next job is berserker as the finger on the monkey' paw curls.

On the other hand, Sandworm aside, WHM/BER is actually a drat solid combo more than capable of beating the game with relatively little grinding.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Poque posted:

That is a surprisingly low amount of gil for how long you must have been in that basement!
I did buy like 99 cottages

I might just buy 99 of each rod and pretend my red mages are really expensive black mages later

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fungah! posted:

i did an MP kill on atma weapon in 6 when i was a kid. don't do that imo, anyone else who plays 6

The bonus dungeon in FF VI Advance has a boss that can only be killed by using Rasp to deplete his MP.

Said boss has 14000 MP. :shepicide:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Run #6 completed, White/Red/Bard/Mystic Knight. Didn't really feel the love for Mystic Knight, though breakblade carried me through most of the encounters after Red mage outlived its usefulness. Was really slow pacing until I got Holy as well.

NED was hilariously easy after buffing everyone's speed and level with bard. 9999 dualcast holy's from the White mage and ~6k from everyone else made it so his only attack to me was a ~400 damage physical attack before he died.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Well, I managed to kill Omega again.

After getting set up with Levisalve Resist Fire, Dragon Kiss, Dragon Defence, Lifeshield and Lifewater (Regen to help mitigate the damage from Sap) on everybody it was fairly plain sailing. I used Turtle Soup 6 times and dumped about 200 levels onto Lenna, then blasted it with Bahamut whenever I got the chance. Healing was done with lots of X-Potion or 2xHi-Potion mixes for Faris, since she has innate Pharmacology.

I've just beat Twintania, so the run 2 Shinryu and Neo kills should be done by tomorrow.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 8, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

UGH

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why do this to yourself?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for pointing me to the mod in the OP everyone.

I had to use the original rom to patch the game and the sound on the sound restored version of game sounds so much better. Once I get to the point where I want to save I'm gonna switch back.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Thanks for pointing me to the mod in the OP everyone.

I had to use the original rom to patch the game and the sound on the sound restored version of game sounds so much better. Once I get to the point where I want to save I'm gonna switch back.

Yeah, the GBA version of the soundtrack is... well, it's kind of wince-worthy. On the other hand, the "restored sound" version of the game does weird poo poo with the SFX.. or is that only on VBA-M?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, the GBA version of the soundtrack is... well, it's kind of wince-worthy. On the other hand, the "restored sound" version of the game does weird poo poo with the SFX.. or is that only on VBA-M?

I couldn't get it to not happen, and eventually it stopped saving at save points, forcing me to use save states only. (It was somewhere between Karnak and the Library.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

The sound mod apparently introduces a weird frameskipping bug in some emulators.

Also the real tech is portrait mods to get rid of those awful pictures.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
White Mage, Mystic Knight, Bard and Dancer.

Looking forward to this run.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why do this to yourself?
I at least wanna be able to dualcast as Red mage, they're loving useless outside of snapping rods otherwise

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

IronicDongz posted:

I at least wanna be able to dualcast as Red mage, they're loving useless outside of snapping rods otherwise

Yeah... but now they're useless and you spent a soul-crushing amount of time grinding.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
To be fair, grinding two red mages to dual cast simultaneously doesn't really take any longer than grinding one red mage to dual cast, and many of us have been there before.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:o: jump timings

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

IronicDongz posted:

:o: jump timings

Galuf jumped to heaven.

and isn't coming back. :smith:

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
These guys have bad luck with transportation.

Oops! We tried to steal a ship without even knowing how to drive. Oops! We murdered the ship's living engine. Oops! We crashed the ship into a whole sea of other crashed ships. But hey! We found a cool animal that could fly, but we used him to fly like three meters and then ditched him. Oops! We found another ship and did a bunch of repairs to get it in working condition, but then we managed to sink it about five seconds after we got it. Cool! We re-murdered that one living engine because we managed to sink an entire freaking island and it had to come save our asses.

I have an idea! Instead of all that, let's use a freaking meteor! :v:

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 9, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Job number two for my random run: Thief! I am ok with this. Now to look up good steals.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
Any suggestions for Purobolos with White Mage/Berserker/Dragoon/Beastmaster? Guessing I could try to time a jump, but there's probably a beast summon I'm not seeing on the spreadsheet that would help with this.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Zone of Danger posted:

Any suggestions for Purobolos with White Mage/Berserker/Dragoon/Beastmaster? Guessing I could try to time a jump, but there's probably a beast summon I'm not seeing on the spreadsheet that would help with this.

You can !Control them into self-destructing, can't you?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I've read many of those solo runs by mega. And if I remember correctly, you can control them. (Purobolos is those explodey dudes right?)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Zone of Danger posted:

Silence is white magic, right? You can silence them to block their Arise-on-death thing.

Zuus use Breath Wing when released, so three of those ought to bring the damage from potential Self Destructs down to more managable levels.

Maybe a Dhorme Chimera for Aqua Breath? Dunno if it'll do more damage than Breath Wing, though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, they can be silenced. I'm guessing you don't have three people with !Catch yet, but the Rock Golem (I think that's what it's called) in the fields by Istory cast Earthshaker when released, probably doing around 650 damage to all of them. They have 1500 HP, so one casting gets them a fair way towards being survivable if you can pump some additional damage on them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aren't they floating and therefore immune to earth?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You'd think that, but no.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

They're certainly not the most nonsensical thing to be vulnerable to Earth in FF games. As someone who's run Summoner this year, I can confirm that Titan wrecks them too, though obviously that's not something you can easily access given the situation.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Edward_Tohr posted:

Silence is white magic, right? You can silence them to block their Arise-on-death thing.

This plus control (plus swapping Berserker for Dragoon) worked out well. Thanks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Am I overlooking something obvious, or is my only real strategy against Archaeoavis' final form with Black Mage, Summoner, Geo to hit him with knives, a lot? Chocobo deals 0 damage (apparently it's magical), he's immune to all current elements so rods are out, the Diamond Bell apparently also has an element (0 damage), Gaia always casts Tornado with a very occasional Wind Slash (no idea why it loves Tornado so much, mobile version for "why do you even have Tornado in the rotation?!" questions)...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

Am I overlooking something obvious, or is my only real strategy against Archaeoavis' final form with Black Mage, Summoner, Geo to hit him with knives, a lot? Chocobo deals 0 damage (apparently it's magical), he's immune to all current elements so rods are out, the Diamond Bell apparently also has an element (0 damage), Gaia always casts Tornado with a very occasional Wind Slash (no idea why it loves Tornado so much, mobile version for "why do you even have Tornado in the rotation?!" questions)...

Diamond Bell is magical and does crap damage anyway, Chocobo is... only magical on the mobile version. :negative: This is one circumstance where your choice of version hampers you a little.

You're gonna have to shank it with your noodle arms.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I decided to do a 750 run on a whim. My team is White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind while going through the game? I've only done one incomplete run of this game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Funktastic posted:

I decided to do a 750 run on a whim. My team is White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Is there anything in particular I should keep in mind while going through the game? I've only done one incomplete run of this game.

You're going to have some problems with damage in the early to mid game, that much is unavoidable. Once you get Comet things will be easier but not all that great, and then suddenly at the end of the game you can get access to Holy and Meteor (and the Chicken Knife) and suddenly you're spewing out numbers like some sort of damage pinata. Don't be afraid to buy a bunch of rods to snap in order to get elemental coverage if you can (if you missed your chance and are in world 2 now, don't sweat it too much), don't be afraid to run from every random battle you can, and don't hold back when it comes to loading your team to the gills with stat-buffs. Most parties need to wait until endgame to get kitted out with Haste, and an equally big chunk of them will never actually see Protect or Shell. All three of those spells will be your bread and butter for survival.

Also, enjoy your easy triple crown - Shinryu is easily nullified by Berserking him and Blinking your entire team, Omega you can beat by casting Quick, breaking a Venom Rod on a reflected party member, and just waiting several hours in-game for HP Leak to burn through his 55k HP. It's slow, but it's guaranteed. Geomancer doesn't bring too much to the table, but it makes a drat good secondary mage, plus !Gaia isn't a bad skill to have for the final boss, as you've got a 100% certain Wind Slash every time you use the command in that fight.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just Thief Knife'd up a Red Dress in Phoenix Tower, and I already got a Dragon Whisker (first stingray, I'm lucky as gently caress). Other than the Istory Aegis Shield, is there anything else on the pre-Void checklist for a Beastmaster/Samurai/Dragoon/Dancer team?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bruceski posted:

Just Thief Knife'd up a Red Dress in Phoenix Tower, and I already got a Dragon Whisker (first stingray, I'm lucky as gently caress). Other than the Istory Aegis Shield, is there anything else on the pre-Void checklist for a Beastmaster/Samurai/Dragoon/Dancer team?
The Beast Killer whip in the Island Shrine is a guaranteed critical hit on Beast-type enemies, which includes Twintania and the Almagest part of Neo Exdeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mustard Iceman posted:

The Beast Killer whip in the Island Shrine is a guaranteed critical hit on Beast-type enemies, which includes Twintania and the Almagest part of Neo Exdeath.

I need to go there on the way to Istory anyway, but I'll make sure to grab it.

• Locked thread