Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Isn't that true of spring and summer though?

This is normally true, but in academia spring is actually a 12 part story, and every part is written by Joseph Lidster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Philosophical thought for the day…

We all want to be Rory Williams, but in reality we’re all Harry Sullivan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Imbeciles, one and all.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's true, I'm only qualified to practice on sailors :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think we're all Ray, with a lot of potential, probably, but in the wrong story for us and doomed to be so forgotten that we're more remembered by a nickname comparing us to somebody else.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Proto-Rory

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trin Tragula posted:

It's true, I'm only qualified to practice on sailors :getin:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
watching Last Christmas. seems good so far, and the elves are at least to me some of Moffat's most successful comic relief side characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bown posted:

watching Last Christmas. seems good so far, and the elves are at least to me some of Moffat's most successful comic relief side characters.

Do you recognize one of them? You should. ;)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The character sucking doesn't mean the actor can't be good as other characters who are written not-terribly

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Both of them, even.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bown posted:

The character sucking doesn't mean the actor can't be good as other characters who are written not-terribly

I wasn't implying anything mean-spirited, Bown. I just thought you might get a kick out of recognizing Dan Starkey if you hadn't already! Sheesh!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MY MOTHER WAS A SAINT

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

A very quick vine of Lego William Hartnell running around a Lego TARDIS console from LEGO Dimensions: https://vine.co/v/enPl5HQ9xuU

Apparently all the Doctors are in the game...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I hope that means that all of them are available to buy as well.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That TARDIS console room replica owns

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tomtrek posted:

A very quick vine of Lego William Hartnell running around a Lego TARDIS console from LEGO Dimensions: https://vine.co/v/enPl5HQ9xuU

Apparently all the Doctors are in the game...

He's holding his lapels :swoon:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Here's a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1Yu50qSyE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh god oh god oh god oh god. <flaps hands> they even had the War Doctor!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Lego games are basically the only video games I play, so now they really have me in their clutches.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Doctor and Doc Brown together. :swoon:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Lego games are great, but for some reason I hadn't been paying any attention to this, and now it's instantly rocketed up to the top of my most wanted list (and not just because of Doctor Who).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those Daleks :swoon:

Oh God this is gonna be so great.

Edit:

quote:

• All of the Doctors will be playable in Lego form, even the War Doctor. When your character dies, you'll regenerate as the first Doctor then cycle through the series again.
  • Depending on which Doctor you play as, the interior of your TARDIS will change -- playing as the first Doctor will give you an old-school, black-and-white time machine.
  • A jukebox in the TARDIS will let you choose whichever version of the Dr. Who theme you want.
  • Peter Capaldi (Dr. Who), Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald), and Michelle Gomez (Missy) will also lend their voices to game.
  • Other playable characters available for purchase as physical Lego Minifigs include a Cyberman, Dalek, and K-9.

This is going to be incredible.

Edit Edit: Though apparently I just read it's not going to be available on PC? Even though there's a world based on the Portal games? :stare:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 9, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

:vince:

:drat:

:perfect:

(I have to speak in smilies because I have no words)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Those Daleks :swoon:

Oh God this is gonna be so great.

Edit:

This is going to be incredible.

Edit Edit: Though apparently I just read it's not going to be available on PC? Even though there's a world based on the Portal games? :stare:

I love that Nick Briggs, who is very obviously doing voice work for them as well, probably isn't even on this list. It might be because they just used some of his old clips, but I bet he did record the Dalek and Cyberman stuff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I hope he recorded dialogue as The Daleks screaming at Scooby Doo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh my god, how could this possibly be any bette-

quote:

Michelle Gomez (Missy) will also lend their voices to game.

Holy poo poo. :suspense:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

lego dimensions is a toys to life game, so putting it on steam defeats the point of how it's sold since within, like, a day, there would be a mod or something to make it so all the characters are available regardless of what you physically own

also defeats the point of who it's being sold to (children)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was looking at wikipedia's Series 8 list of episodes, and I noticed a thumbnail of Capaldi...

Is it me or does he look a bit like an older version of Rory?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He definitely does in that picture.

So although I've long past gotten over getting legitimately angry or annoyed about anything in the DW thread thank christ I still have what is probably going to be a heck of an essay post coming up after Listen.

Basically I mostly adore the episode - it sold me on Twelve, it's one of my favourite Moffat stories ever, I love that you never find out if there even was a threat, and the "fear is a weapon theme" is fantastic....but the scene where Clara becomes responsible for the Doctor growing up to be a good person is easily the most "egregious sin", if we want to be hyperbolic, that Moffat has ever committed as showrunner.

His whole thing with leaving his mark and having his era and his characters be IMPORTANT has manifested itself in crappy ways before, notably with making Smith 13 and aging him so loving much and Clara telling Hartnell which TARDIS take and the entire climax of Name actually, but this is the worst one. This is the one where he literally says the entire reason for this character who has existed for over half a century being the good, brave character we know is because a companion from 2000+ years in his future who has barely had a personality for three episodes is a bit nice to him as a kid. I'm not a huge DW fan, and I've never seen the old show, but how could any fan be okay with this? It's so blatantly disrespectful to the character and the show and their histories.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think that speech was more for the audience's benefit instead of the Doctor's.

Unless you think that the main reason why he wanted to find the invisible leg grabbing creatures is for them to explain what exactly they meant with all that.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Peter Capaldi (Dr. Who), Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald), and Michelle Gomez (Missy) will also lend their voices to game.

*shakes head*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noxville posted:

*shakes head*

WOTAN 100% confirmed as the game's big bad guy!

Toxxupation posted:

lego dimensions is a toys to life game, so putting it on steam defeats the point of how it's sold since within, like, a day, there would be a mod or something to make it so all the characters are available regardless of what you physically own

also defeats the point of who it's being sold to (children)

Hmm these are all very interesting points and undoubtedly extremely accurate but they fail to take into consideration the major factor that all Doctor Who media should consider as their number one priority - how does this affect Jerusalem?

Check and mate.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

lego dimensions is a toys to life game

so, how does that work? You buy the game, then hundreds of little knick-knacks to unlock stuff in the game? I'd consider getting the game, but not if i have to buy a lot of extra rubbish.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Attitude Indicator posted:

so, how does that work? You buy the game, then hundreds of little knick-knacks to unlock stuff in the game? I'd consider getting the game, but not if i have to buy a lot of extra rubbish.

Yeah, it seems to be following the Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibos route.

I don't think we entirely know how the content works on that front; it might be that the levels themselves are all part of the game and you only have to buy the characters, or it might be that you need to buy the Doctor Who minifig to play through the Doctor Who stages and whatnot.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it seems to be following the Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Amiibos route.

I don't think we entirely know how the content works on that front; it might be that the levels themselves are all part of the game and you only have to buy the characters, or it might be that you need to buy the Doctor Who minifig to play through the Doctor Who stages and whatnot.

i haven't played any of those, but i think i know how it works. it seems like the most obnoxious DLC.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Bown posted:

But the scene where Clara becomes responsible for the Doctor growing up to be a good person is easily the most "egregious sin", if we want to be hyperbolic, that Moffat has ever committed as showrunner.

notably with making Smith 13 and aging him so loving much and Clara telling Hartnell which TARDIS take and the entire climax of Name actually, but this is the worst one.
Yes yes yes, I hate this scene and every time Moffat goes and mettles with past stories. Even if he were still talented and capable of coherent, original and engaging stories with well written, well rounded characters it would be disgusting. He has actually framed himself as the entire reason the Doctor exist as he does, which is horseshit from a character perspective. Hartnell was a loveable selfish old man who was interested in himself, his granddaughter and occasionally a few other people, and over time grew into an adventurer who would stand up for the little guy. It wasn't until Troughton that he declared himself the enemy of evil everywhere, and even then he killed occasionally. For Moffat to go back and shove his convoluted half thought out trash into the core of the character is a disservice to the entire show.

That's why I don't accept the modern series as anything more than fan fiction (apart from season one) which occasionally puts out a good story worthy of the title. And when I'm getting all worked up over the plight of the show I remember there are lots of classic stories and good audios I've yet to watch and listen to, and I chill out.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 9, 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What's the difference between the opening sequence in Name of the Doctor, and any given Big Finish story with a past Doctor? They're both insertions into the 'past' of a show almost defined by its shifting relation to its own non-canon.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

...how does this affect Jerusalem?

Well yes, of course. I've never been able to play it before now, but I've got all sorts of souvenirs. Copies of all the advertising satellites that have ever been sent out. All the posters. I had a long correspondence with one of the founder programmers too, soon after it started. Although I never got to see the early days, I know it's not as good as it used to be but I'm still terribly interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:allears:

• Locked thread