Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

NTRabbit posted:

Strange. Try a direct link.
I think my army is going to be from "City5" Conflagration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
JESUS CHRIST those dioramas are loving hot. That's the sort of thing that actually motivates me to paint.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I kinda wanna make desert goblins, using GW Night Goblins. Khaki-coloured robes, hiding buried in the sand.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daedleh posted:

Oh, it's from an Ogre Kingdoms bitz box I picked up from ebay. I think it's from the Mournfang kit.

Cheers! I've been unsuccessfully compiling places I can get helmeted heads, giant hammers, tower shields and extra armour for the siege Breakers, and spears for the Hunters. It's an uncommon project.

Pierzak posted:

Bitter Lands :haw:

I bet the Norse themed army is gonna come from there

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The prospect of making multi-unit dioramas is intriguing, I wonder if I could find someone to play with though.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I kinda wanna make desert goblins, using GW Night Goblins. Khaki-coloured robes, hiding buried in the sand.

i did this and it actually looks really good. i used a bone color and a flesh wash for the robes

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

The prospect of making multi-unit dioramas is intriguing, I wonder if I could find someone to play with though.

Where do you live? After the PDF goes out Friday, post on your local facebook group or whatever that you'll want to try out the KoW rules. There's bound to be a few disgruntled WHFB players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think my army is going to be from "City5" Conflagration.

I don't get the reference :confuoot:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The Mantica map reminds me of the Zybourne Clock map.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That was before my time here and I had to look it up, but ok :buddy:

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Just ordered some Celtic foot to do proxy mummies or soul reaver infantry, something like this:

(halfway down the first post, the "Not-quite-undead")

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=75835.0

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

enrious posted:

Just ordered some Celtic foot to do proxy mummies or soul reaver infantry, something like this:

(halfway down the first post, the "Not-quite-undead")

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=75835.0

Thats utterly fantastic. I would definitely do that for Undead if I had the time/space to get back into the hobby. Are those all Wargames Factory?

I love the idea of the desaturated/monochrome look

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Imagine four Fisty Gluemen on the edge of a cliff...

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone has recommendations for angelic miniatures? I like the look/theme of Basilea, and would like more variety in models than just the ones available from mantic.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Reaper makes a poo poo ton I'm sure

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

EBay might have some old Ex Ilis or something like that box sets, one of the main factions was Angels.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
For really big hero/monster units (like say a vampire on a dragon), the book says to use the smallest base that would work if it's too big to fit on the standard monster base. The model I want to use is the GW vampire on giant undead dragon, which came with a pretty huge base (100mm x 150mm, roughly). If I use this base, would I be putting my opponent at a disadvantage? I'm okay if it makes things worse for me (bigger base = easier to be in front arc so easier to charge), but I imagine it would also give me some advantages in blocking LoS and would also of course give me a F'ing huge front arc. Should I see about finding a smaller base and trying to make it fit, or is the base size difference less of an issue than it seems?

Edit: Actually, looking at the sprue and instructions I think I can make it fit on a significantly smaller base. Nowhere near 50x50, but maybe the 50x100 one. It'll come down to the wingspan I think.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 9, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Weissritter posted:

Anyone has recommendations for angelic miniatures? I like the look/theme of Basilea, and would like more variety in models than just the ones available from mantic.

Check Reaper, I know a variety of at least 5 new angels came out with the latest bones.
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Angel

I do not know why

Is the first find but I guess he's an angel too.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Reaper makes a poo poo ton I'm sure

Yeah, but most are ladies and a lot of their female minis have Liefeld proportions. :sigh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Evilmonstar posted:

Hey dudes, all this talk of AoS (and the rather hilarious disappointment that was my first AoS game last night)
Oh oh oh do tell, I've been slow to catch up on age of sigmor, I would love to hear about what a trainwreck the actual game is

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

drgnvale posted:

For really big hero/monster units (like say a vampire on a dragon), the book says to use the smallest base that would work if it's too big to fit on the standard monster base. The model I want to use is the GW vampire on giant undead dragon, which came with a pretty huge base (100mm x 150mm, roughly). If I use this base, would I be putting my opponent at a disadvantage? I'm okay if it makes things worse for me (bigger base = easier to be in front arc so easier to charge), but I imagine it would also give me some advantages in blocking LoS and would also of course give me a F'ing huge front arc. Should I see about finding a smaller base and trying to make it fit, or is the base size difference less of an issue than it seems?

Edit: Actually, looking at the sprue and instructions I think I can make it fit on a significantly smaller base. Nowhere near 50x50, but maybe the 50x100 one. It'll come down to the wingspan I think.

The GW bases are fine. It's for when someone really takes the piss with say a 600x20mm individual. Bigger bases are generally a disadvantage in KoW since it limits your movement, even for flyers. It's easier to stop a flyer landing behind your lines or out of charge arcs if it's on a 50x50mm base than a huge 100x150mm base.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh oh oh do tell, I've been slow to catch up on age of sigmor, I would love to hear about what a trainwreck the actual game is

Go ask in the GW Deathpool thread, they'll give you the lowdown. :v:

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
I was intrigued by this paragraph, from the Mantic blog post: http://manticblog.com/2015/07/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-kings-of-war-but-were-too-afraid-to-ask-p2/

quote:

Any more!?

Yes – The core Twilight Kin (Evil, dark elves) army will get a temporary list (still official for tournaments) because the model range and background is going to get an overhaul. This is likely to be done alongside two more new core armies: the Ophidians (Neutral) and an alliance of races in the north (Good).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Ophidians are neutral necromancers who use the undead as a cheap manual labour force, the northern alliance is Vikings + Elves + Frost Trolls + Frost Giants

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

And Yetis. Don't forget the Yetis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

And Yetis. Don't forget the Yetis.

A sorely undervalued peoples

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Vikings? Awesome! My pledge for "Blood Rage" is even better now!

Looking forward to getting my hardback copy of the rules. I really want to know what the secret armies are going to be though...

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

One's a joke, the other's a shadow.

But goddamn if the shadow isn't a brilliant idea with excellent mechanics.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So I've never really been into wargaming, besides buying some Bretonnian models one time because they looked cool and I wanted something to paint with my Warhammer-playing friends. But after reading about (and watching a video of) Kings of War, I'm intrigued enough that I think I might at the very least try to get said Warhammer-playing friends (who are now more like Warhammer-model-owning friends) to break out their old models and try playing it.

So anyway, on the off chance I do end up going crazy and start buying models, I'm wondering when the new armies I've heard about are going to be announced and/or playable. Also if any of them would be particularly good for my love of people riding on various animals (horses, unicorns, pegasuses, griffons, dragons, dinosaurs, etc.). For that matter, is an all-cavalry army viable? Are there any mounted archers? Are there flying mounted archers?

Basically what I'm saying is that if I can play as Mongols riding on dragons or something I will give Mantic all my money. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Daedleh posted:

One's a joke

Using Ronaldo and all the now irrelevant command group musicians to make the fabled all-Bard army? :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Weissritter posted:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm the guy with the topknot who's shyly hiding his mouth behind the collar of his shirt :blush:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 9, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Viscardus posted:

So I've never really been into wargaming, besides buying some Bretonnian models one time because they looked cool and I wanted something to paint with my Warhammer-playing friends. But after reading about (and watching a video of) Kings of War, I'm intrigued enough that I think I might at the very least try to get said Warhammer-playing friends (who are now more like Warhammer-model-owning friends) to break out their old models and try playing it.

So anyway, on the off chance I do end up going crazy and start buying models, I'm wondering when the new armies I've heard about are going to be announced and/or playable. Also if any of them would be particularly good for my love of people riding on various animals (horses, unicorns, pegasuses, griffons, dragons, dinosaurs, etc.). For that matter, is an all-cavalry army viable? Are there any mounted archers? Are there flying mounted archers?

Basically what I'm saying is that if I can play as Mongols riding on dragons or something I will give Mantic all my money. :v:

Kingdoms of Men is the catch-all human army, they have three types of cavalry, one of which is mounted archers, and large cavalry chariots that are also ranged. They also have mounted heroes, 3 of which can be mounted on a horse or a pegasus. An all cavalry army is completely viable, and with proxying and using the standard base footprints it's totally doable to make a Mongol army on horses, with Mongols on wyrms as heavy cavalry, and a Khan on a flying dragon.

:gowron:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 9, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Someone needs to try and bring a Basilea army into a GW store and try and 'play' a game of AoS with them

actually don't, this is probably the same as wearing the wrong gang colours in the wrong neighborhood

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Oof I have a lot of ironclad to paint

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bones 3 has a nice Elven Lord Lady on Dragon or Abbess on Panther Chariot counts-as

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Here's a few nice angels and fallen angels:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=105_108

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NTRabbit posted:

Bones 3 has a nice Elven Lord Lady on Dragon or Abbess on Panther Chariot counts-as

She-Woman and Battledragon

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Welp, that helped me decide what KoW army I'm going to make*: something that can contain that awresome, awesome mini. Maybe Basilea, using dragons and/or dinosaurs for my angels!

*at least as my first. May do more than one. >.>

EDIT: Hm. only problem with dragon Elohi is only having 80mm of depth in the unit footprint. Could use little dragons, I guess, or do one bigger one at an angle? Or maybe there's a cool rearing up dragon that'd fit in 80mm of depth.

EDI2May have to use them as cav or knights or chariots instead. Maybe. Need to look into it with test minis.

EDIT3: Oh hey, Basilea has a hero on a dragon. That's even btter for using that awesome lady for than a chariot lady!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Fantasy marines are not quite angelic.