Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd just like to remind folks that there is a thread on FFGoons specifically for posting about story spoilers and not making this thread look like a CIA document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd just like to remind folks that there is a thread on FFGoons specifically for posting about story spoilers and not making this thread look like a CIA document.

I'd like to remind folks that registering for an off-site forum to read spoilers is way more effort than clicking on black bars

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is that what they re-translated Deep Dungeon to be?

Anyways, I had started working on the name from an astrological perspective, with Serpentarius being "The Great Serpent", a name also attributed with Midgardsormr, and indeed, the name of one of that boss's attacks. (Well, it was translated as "Midgar Swarm", but after FF7, we all know that it's Midgardsormr.) I had completely forget about the FFT character, although the slightly different spelling of the name might have been what threw me. I still know that guy as "Eldibs". I've never played any of the remakes, only the PSX version.

Yeah, in the retranslated War of the Lions version of FFT, Deep Dungeon is now "Midlight's Deep."

And we can be pretty sure that anything involving Serpentarius will be linked to Zodiark and, by proxy, Elidibus.

Love all of the FFXII/FFT references in this game.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Apparently I need to replay FFT. I beat it was a kid, but gave gently caress all about the story back then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vanbags posted:

Apparently I need to replay FFT. I beat it was a kid, but gave gently caress all about the story back then.

L I T T L E M O N E Y

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
To anyone who hasn't played it, or anyone who enjoyed it but didn't play the remake: play the remake if you're able to. It's so loving well done. (Still not as good as the Tactics Ogre remake though)

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

vanbags posted:

FFT is my favorite FF and it's not even a contest, and the lion's share of the reason is because of the story. But I did stop mostly giving a gently caress as soon as everyone started turning into random garbled monsters/side quests. I'm pretty sure this is the most obscure of references.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

vanbags posted:

You have no one to blame but yourself, or god. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

psymonkey posted:

FFT is my favorite FF and it's not even a contest, and the lion's share of the reason is because of the story. But I did stop mostly giving a gently caress as soon as everyone started turning into random garbled monsters/side quests. I'm pretty sure this is the most obscure of references.

It's definitely obscure. You have to know your stars in constellations for it to make sense. I didn't and now there's a whole new world of :staredog: open!

Regarding VA's I did notice some changes between in Heavensward, mainly because everyone overall improved. Everything sounds a bit more natural/less forced, which mainly helped Urianger, Merlwyb and Raubahn.
Then again, everything's better than Random Ul'Dahn citizen #3 :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the best FF's are the ones without JRPG combat, because Atlus are the only ones who seem to want to introduce some actual threat into it.

Except 13. 13 would have been improved by JRPG combat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Guess I'm replaying FFT the next time there's maintenance. Is the Android version an acceptable port? The $14 price tag is quite appealing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Guess I'm replaying FFT the next time there's maintenance. Is the Android version an acceptable port? The $14 price tag is quite appealing.

holy poo poo, they finally released the android port.

The IOS version was good. More or less a straight port of the PSP version, not a butchered hackjob like all the other mobile FF ports.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Dumb Theory #410: Watch the The Warring Triad end up being The Magus Sisters. :v:

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
Servers up

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So I just got an e-mail about a Return Home To Eorzea campaign. I haven't been keeping up with the game since Heavensward (lack of :10bux:), but does that contain free login or something of the sort? Or is it just "if you pay again, we'll help you up with gear"?

This link isn't being too clear, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Holy poo poo after almost a week was finally able to make a character on Excalibur. No idea what I'm doing

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Holy poo poo after almost a week was finally able to make a character on Excalibur. No idea what I'm doing

Eating a dozen dicks it looks like!

Welcome to the server though you should have fun with this game. It's pretty funhaving.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serperoth posted:

So I just got an e-mail about a Return Home To Eorzea campaign. I haven't been keeping up with the game since Heavensward (lack of :10bux:), but does that contain free login or something of the sort? Or is it just "if you pay again, we'll help you up with gear"?

This link isn't being too clear, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Nope. If you haven't already used your free 30 days from when you bought the original game then you'll need to buy another month of subscription. The Recruit a Friend dealio doesn't extend to people who already used up their initial 30 days either, btw

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a secret way to increase the NPC chat dialogue size? I don't remember the text being this small.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

pandaK posted:

Nope. If you haven't already used your free 30 days from when you bought the original game then you'll need to buy another month of subscription. The Recruit a Friend dealio doesn't extend to people who already used up their initial 30 days either, btw

I had been playing for a while, I just haven't been able to play since about March or so. Guess I can wait some more, thanks.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Evader posted:

I just made a character on there after the previous maintenance. I just had to set an alarm to wake up when it was scheduled to be over.

You are in luck: there's another one tonight! Just wake up at 6AM EST (or 5:30 if you really want to be sure) and hop on right after the servers come back on.

Or pay 18bux, whatever you prefer.

From yesterday but this worked, thanks for the tip! Finally got onto Excalibur. :toot:

Now Im going back to bed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Even though the OP and their website says it's still open it won't let me create there and I only have one day left on my trial :negative:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Etrips posted:

Is there a secret way to increase the NPC chat dialogue size? I don't remember the text being this small.

This has come up a lot of times, both here and on the official forums. There doesn't seem to be a way to increase the size and no official word has given on whether they plan on doing anything about it. The only fix is to play at a lower resolution, unfortunately.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fister Roboto posted:

What is this thread for, exactly? Like I ain't in DGKK and it's not like 2006 anymore and i dont see a point to rando forums for every topic i'm interested in

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Rei_ posted:

What is this thread for, exactly? Like I ain't in DGKK and it's not like 2006 anymore and i dont see a point to rando forums for every topic i'm interested in

Spoiler bars upset some people for reasons nobody is quite certain of. That thread is where these people go to hide.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So since I can sell codes anyone want to buy an Odin mount or anything on Excalibur? Leveling crafts is literal hell on my wallet.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Boten Anna posted:

Calling it now: Savage will drop items to enhance your "Story mode" gear. I am so looking forward to the tears from the "I only log in to raid for 5 minutes a week and I refuse to do anything else" crowd :smug:

The hardcore raiding crowd will continue to do normal mode until they have all of the gear they need, regardless of how Savage loot works.

Unfortunately, regardless of how loot works, you'll likely have to wait until 3.2 to clear even the first floor of savage, so I hope whatever delusions you think of regarding disgusting no lifers make you feel better about that fact.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Browsing reddit so you don't have to. FFXIV players_macros.txt

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
did somebody say macros

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After getting through Ramuh with only 2 wipes, are there any serious roadblocks before I get to 3.0 that I should know about.

Speaking of macros, I had bit of a :smug: moment when I managed to survive a 1HKO and saw the healer's quickrez macro go off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

After getting through Ramuh with only 2 wipes, are there any serious roadblocks before I get to 3.0 that I should know about.

Speaking of macros, I had bit of a :smug: moment when I managed to survive a 1HKO and saw the healer's quickrez macro go off.

Chrysalis and Steps of Faith. You've still got a good chunk of questing left.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Closest you are likely to come to a roadblock is Steps of Faith and Chrysalis... beaten.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SirPhoebos posted:

oh you sweet summer child

Please enjoy at least 10 more hours of content including hard modes of the first three primals. It isn't insurmountable, just tedious.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Verranicus posted:

But how do you know which is which, is my problem.

It's based on the size of the pull on your line. When you get the little tug that barely moves the tip of your rod, use Precision. Otherwise, use Powerful. You'll know you got it right if your rod sparkles and makes a sound effect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Heavy Swing needs a macro, right

Wish I could find my screenshot of the guy who had an RP macro for Aetherflow, that was precious. Especially because he mashed it juuust before it was actually off CD.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh you sweet summer child

Please enjoy at least 10 more hours of content including hard modes of the first three primals. It isn't insurmountable, just tedious.

10 hours?! Holy poo poo now I understand why people are complaining about the 3.0 stuff being locked behind the MSQ.

Out of curiosity, was the 2.3 story written before or after the Furgeson rioting? I got to imagine there were some hilarious posts about SE being "insensitive".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

10 hours?! Holy poo poo now I understand why people are complaining about the 3.0 stuff being locked behind the MSQ.

Out of curiosity, was the 2.3 story written before or after the Furgeson rioting? I got to imagine there were some hilarious posts about SE being "insensitive".

Long, long before. 10 hours is probably an exaggeration but you do have a ways to go. Ramuh is 2.3 if I recall and you still have all of 2.4/2.5/2.55

Also I'm not sure why he mentioned the first three hard mode primals cuz I don't think they're mandatory for anything?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It took me a 3-day 4th of July weekend plus monday evening to get through 2.1-2.55, but I also didn't play the game every waking second. But I did play it a LOT.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Niton posted:

since you're probably not joking: There's another character named Elidibus: an optional superboss living in Ivalice's Midnight's Deep. He was notable for being the only character in the entirety of Final Fantasy Tactics to have the Zodiac symbol of Serpentarius.

Also, since this is the connection I found when I went to look it up, in FFXII when you fight Zodiark you can steal the Serpentarius gem from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They are for trials roulette iirc.

• Locked thread